Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobbery in education.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I'll wind up my brother as he's my brother and we have a laugh together. I'm actually very proud of him.

Notice that I mentioned that "all things being considered equal". FFS.

Notice that I mentioned "encourage and support him if that's not something you do already"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

benjamin d wrote: »
    Have to disagree with this, they're a good general guide.
    I went to NUIG, fwiw.

They don't take account of the quality of curricula or of teaching. So from a prospective student point of view they are largely meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Regarding IT vs. University - read exam papers for the same modules from each college. Then you'll fully understand why IT's have the rep they do. The exams are easier to pass because there isn't as much critical thinking required. Just cram the info into your head and recite it straight back out

No I understand he meant the turnaround change in his brothers attitude to education. I just think it's unnecessary to be getting onto him about it is all, particularly when the OP is trying to make a point about educational snobbery themselves.

If he was an acquaintance I'd agree.

However, siblings have carte blanche to rip into one another from the cradle to the grave, it's a perk of the position. He should let his brother have it to continue this noble tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Even if it's the exact same course, and usually they aren't, universities tend to have command higher entrance points.

That alone means they should be worth more to an employer.

• Advertisement

I've been to an IT and University and found a massive difference. Then again I found a massive difference between universities with the better one noticeably getting worse while I was there.

For tech and the like it's not particularly important though. The whole point of ITs is to get someone ready for employment, or at least moreso than in the usual idea of universities. With tech jobs it's all about getting started then progressing. Tech jobs aren't for life, generally they require continual upskilling or almost starting over. Getting through an IT course is enough to show you can pick it up, then it's all about how much you want to do to improve yourself long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard that the workload in US Universities is much larger than those in European Universities.

That be the Chinese and Indian students setting the standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

YFlyer wrote: »
    That be the Chinese and Indian students setting the standards.

The biggest myth ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Get a good trade and you can bypass all this nonsense

PLL wrote: »
    Regarding IT vs. University - read exam papers for the same modules from each college. Then you'll fully understand why IT's have the rep they do. The exams are easier to pass because there isn't as much critical thinking required. Just cram the info into your head and recite it straight back out

Have to agree. My mate was in 3rd year of a level 7, one more year would give him a level 8. It was an area I didn't study in but there were 2 papers I saw that I could've passed there and then.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The biggest myth ever.

I meant for PhD programmes.

Get a good trade and you can bypass all this nonsense

Aye, the lads finishing about 8 years ago have all enjoyed the fruits of those labours.

I meant for PhD programmes.

So the Chinese and Indians dominate science say?

So the Chinese and Indians dominate science say?

They dominate science education in the US.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-china-and-india-love-us-universities/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The biggest myth ever.
    Yep. I have found Germans to be very hard working and intelligent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Can we all stop using the word "science" the word is very broad and clearly means different things to different people in this thread.

It would be easier to just name the field(s) and discuss that / them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I have a 1h degree from an IT and a 1h degree from a university. The second was genuinely much harder earned. It might have just been the particular courses but I found the difficulty level was very different.

I don't know why people get so hung up on it though, I now recruit on a regular basis and I don't judge a candidate based on where they studied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Of course there is a difference between courses and educational institutes. A degree from Trinity will almost certainly be of a higher standard that a degree in Graphic Design and Lawnmower Maintenance from some obscure IT in a small town in the provinces. That's not snobbery, that's fact.

I have an extremely well regarded MBA. I got onto this programme by having a 1st from Trinity alongside the required work experience. This in turn opened up the doors that allowed me to have the career I now have. I wouldn't have the job (or indeed the view) I now have if I had taken the easy option of arsing around getting a 3rd rate MBA from Smurfit Business School in UCD.

That's an opinion piece about the near bulk of American PhDs being made up or non Americans. Is there anything in there about Chinese and Indian contributions to science?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

I'd bet the majority of people who are splitting hairs over where your degree came from are spending too much time thinking about the shlt that doesn't matter and less time focusing on becoming successful.

Someone close to me began his career with a Fas course. He's now 35 and earning 200,000 a year. He doesn't spend time worrying that he didn't get a degree in the right college and when he's hiring staff he doesn't give a toss about where their education came from as long as they have the qualification and experience required.

Of course there is a difference between courses and educational institutes. A degree from Trinity will almost certainly be of a higher standard that a degree in Graphic Design and Lawnmower Maintenance from some obscure IT in a small town in the provinces. That's not snobbery, that's fact.

I have an extremely well regarded MBA. I got onto this programme by having a 1st from Trinity alongside the required work experience. This in turn opened up the doors that allowed me to have the career I now have. I wouldn't have the job (or indeed the view) I now have if I had taken the easy option of arsing around getting a 3rd rate MBA from Smurfit Business School in UCD.

In fairness dude that attitude would count as a major negative but then again you only have a business degree as opposed to my biophysics one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

I wouldnt worry about it.. from an IT point of view, I found, that you really only START learning when you get a job imo...and hopefully when you start off you are surrounded by very bright people who mentor you and show you the ropes...

Some students are better than others, some teachers are better than others, some facilities are better than others... I completed a degree in an IT and loved it (I also did a year in a PLC course - was lazy for my LC but a good introduction to IT for many people even-though most of my class didnt go on and pursue an IT career)... Had a couple of fellow students in the degree getting very good results in exams etc , and in 3rd year they were actually asking what a 'server' was... a month before the end of our NETWORKING degree..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Can we all just agree that no matter whether you went to Harvard or Tralee it*, if it's an arts degree, its still worthless.

* why dont Tralee IT use their acronym?

I was lectured by a arts student on the importance of uni rankings. I resisted the urge to bring up degree type rankings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Can we all just agree that no matter whether you went to Harvard or Tralee it*, if it's an arts degree, its still worthless

Are you joking?

A family member did 3 years doing marine biology in one of the NUI's. He then differed his 4th year to an IT and said he learned more in that year than he ever did in the 3 in NUI. Take from that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I notice that you don't mention what the original degree was or where the "well regarded" MBA came from. Only trinity had the snob value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Are you joking?

Actually on average a STEM degree from the worst rated American college earns more than a non STEM degree from the top American colleges. Make of that what you will.

Advertisement