Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Every new site they build reminds me of the old adage of "if it ain't broke..."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

jay93 wrote: »
    I have a bug and it seems someone else has it as well as they posted in the thread reporting the same problem. Happens only while on the mobile site.

http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057593132#99690831
    Please fix this very annoying when on phone and cannot scroll down to see which thread got a new post.

As at the minute I have to guess and go through loads of forums just to find which thread there was a post in.

This is driving me really crazy !! I have the same issue on iOS. I'm in the states since March so I'm forced to use this new mobile site. I can't even view the "talk to" forums no more in mobile view it just opens a full desktop page on my phone. Weirdly enough if I goto my followed threads and if one of those is a talk to thread it will display the new mobile version of that thread .. But if I try view the talk to thread any other way I get the desktop view .. Weird
    Well this issue seems to be fixed today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was browsing on my phone on the bus. In some threads where a poster was quoting another user, the content of quoted posts appeared twice, in the same quote - once in bold, then in plain text.

e.g.
    But that has nothing to do with ________
    But that has nothing to do with ________

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

cant quote the black oil because boards is completely broken on mobile, but i've seen the same thing in pretty much any thread where there's quoted text

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

I'm getting a floating panel at the bottom of the site home page saying 1/7 which is great. The panel seems very large and when I click on it nothing happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Every new site they build reminds me of the old adage of "if it ain't broke..."

break it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Am I the only one who finds the touch site grand?

(For mobile use obviously.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

In the 'my threads' section on the new responsive site, the thread with the latest post in it has been replaced with a sponsored post now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

quoting posts... doesn't seem to be working again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭simonflanagan

im trying to sign up an account for someone else but it wont let me it just brings me onto a black and white page where you sign up?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Boards.ie has become completely useless on Opera Mini!

Both on PC and mobile I use the legacy site because it's easy on the eye and clear layout. Legacy site link works on PC, not on Mini, at all! (Links not working, can't find buttons like Post new thread and a the spacing, everything just unreadable: what belongs to whom, who belongs to what.) Why can't you have a roll down box for selecting different styles? And leave it there for good! As I expressed before not everyone fan of the new fancy-dancy, imagey style.

This experimenting is putting me off boards more and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Am I the only one who finds the touch site grand?

(For mobile use obviously.)

I think the touch site is perfect.

I think unread post need to be made stand out more. Just a bolded title isn't great.

Try giving unread posts a darker background colour than read posts.

I think unread post need to be made stand out more. Just a bolded title isn't great.

Try giving unread posts a darker background colour than read posts.
    I think they are fine.

I think they are fine.

I'm talking about the responsive site.

I think they are fine.

I'm talking about the responsive site.
    I'm on that site on both mobile and desktop and the new post threads in bold are fine.

Padyjoe, if it was possible to quote or give thanks on opera mini with the new site, I would do both. Alas, neither are possible. I miss my headache free boards. There's not even a "view first unread" shortcut on threads anymore.

Padyjoe, if it was possible to quote or give thanks on opera mini with the new site, I would do both. Alas, neither are possible. I miss my headache free boards. There's not even a "view first unread" shortcut on threads anymore.
    It doesn't need it as on both mobile and desktop/laptop responsive site it will automatically go to the first unread post.

I'm on that site on both mobile and desktop and the new post threads in bold are fine.

I don't think it's fine. It doesn't stand out as a unread post.

It doesn't need it as on both mobile and desktop/laptop responsive site it will automatically go to the first unread post.

On desktop now. Nope. that doesn't happen, I'm clicking into subbed threads on mobile and I'm usually sent to page 2 of a subbed thread, regardless of how long the thread is. I'm having to remember where I was in each thread which is quite time consuming.

• Advertisement

On desktop now. Nope. that doesn't happen, I'm clicking into subbed threads on mobile and I'm usually sent to page 2 of a subbed thread, regardless of how long the thread is. I'm having to remember where I was in each thread which is quite time consuming.
    Well it goes to last unread post for me on my desktop PC, laptop and also on my phone. Windows 10 and Marshmallow android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hey there folks, updates...

So first of all, the list of bugs etc has been updated. Quite a bit of stuff's gone live this last 2 weeks and we've spent some of this afternoon re-prioritising things for the upcoming couple of weeks. You can see that here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UklPM8nlHZ3IeHJdPpoOrWe_PJ5U2Y_odMZ-edHKXS4/pubhtml

We've noticed today that the "last unread post" isn't working and that's on the list for Monday morning.

Opera Mini users - one of the lads asked me to ask you if you're using some sort of "reduced" mode that the browser supports? I'm unfamiliar with it myself, but they said that Opera Mini has some sort of "don't load all the things" mode for saving bandwidth and rendering? I'll try installing it myself on Monday and seeing if I can replicate.

The Text Editor has some quirks and features that we're going to explain in a separate area and we're going to include a link to that explanation beside the editor on every page so that should help clear some stuff up. It should also explain why there's no "preview" as the legacy site has - being a rich text editor we felt it wasn't necessary as the formatting is presented in the edit box. However, we're thinking we might still have a preview, it's a feature I find very handy myself for longer posts that you want to proof read.

So there are 2 major issues that affect the site as a whole and that's the Menu and Search. We're in the process of figuring out what to do with our current search functionality, but I'll have more on that next week. I'd like to talk about the menu first.

The Responsive Site's menu is obviously a total departure from the legacy site's and is geared towards showing off our new forum structure. The legacy site's menu was always going to be a temporary measure, but circumstances change and now the Legacy site's going to be sticking around a lot longer :) So, we're proposing to basically copy the style and layout of the Responsive site's menu over to the Legacy site - sounds simple, but it's a week's work for Jason and instead of just doing that we wanted to check that this is going to help address the problems people have (discoverability of forums being the number 1 issue).

Dav wrote: »

Opera Mini users - one of the lads asked me to ask you if you're using some sort of "reduced" mode that the browser supports? I'm unfamiliar with it myself, but they said that Opera Mini has some sort of "don't load all the things" mode for saving bandwidth and rendering? I'll try installing it myself on Monday and seeing if I can replicate.

Opera Mini uses data compression through a proxy of theirs as far as I know, it uses some alchemy to deliver content on mobile with huge data savings. On the user side, it gives three options for image resolution - low, medium and high, which makes little odds to browsing asides from image resolution and data savings.

I run it in "single column view", which is a user preference - ie- you load the full version of the site but the browser reformats the page into a single column, for ease of use on a phone - you need only scroll up and down a page and not left to right - giving you full site functionality within a re-arranged layout. It's a really great way of reading vbulletin style message boards - boards (until recently), straight dope, digital spy etc etc.

I've been viewing boards this way since 2005 or so, and despite changes, was still able to get back to my own skin on the "legacy" site, until the recent change. The option to revert to legacy (the link) doesn't work now on this browser, and as I've mentioned earlier, boards.ie/? loads the legacy frontpage on Mini, but all further links bounce back into the new design, where functionality and ease of navigation are now very poor.

EDIT - the link for "legacy site" on Opera Mini is showing as boards.ie/b/# - which just essentially refreshes the page. As I'm sitting here on my laptop, all legacy site urls begin with boards.ie/vbulletin - which is where I want to be at when on mobile. If I manually enter a thread url with boards.ie/vbulletin/showthhreadxxxxx into Opera Mini, it automatically changes to boards.ie/b/showthreadxxxxx when the page is loading

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Is anybody going to address the persistent 522 errors??

Is anybody going to address the persistent 522 errors??

There are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There are none.
    Since when?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

jay93 wrote: »
    I have a bug and it seems someone else has it as well as they posted in the thread reporting the same problem. Happens only while on the mobile site.

http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057593132#99690831
    Please fix this very annoying when on phone and cannot scroll down to see which thread got a new post.

As at the minute I have to guess and go through loads of forums just to find which thread there was a post in.

This is driving me really crazy !! I have the same issue on iOS. I'm in the states since March so I'm forced to use this new mobile site. I can't even view the "talk to" forums no more in mobile view it just opens a full desktop page on my phone. Weirdly enough if I goto my followed threads and if one of those is a talk to thread it will display the new mobile version of that thread .. But if I try view the talk to thread any other way I get the desktop view .. Weird
    Well this issue seems to be fixed today.
    Cool looks like it's fixed alright finally !!

After making my self use the responsive site for a while, I'm starting to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

After making my self use the responsive site for a while, I'm starting to enjoy it.
    I read that as self-abuse. If you meant that, you should have employed a smilie - and not a Japanese one! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I have been using it on all of my devices and it is great. It is particularly good on mobile devices compared to the old touch site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement