Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

Options

Comments

gandalf wrote: »

he is the Community Manager HE IS SUPPOSED TO ENGAGE WITH US.

From reading Davs posts on this thread and on others it appears the future for boards is some dodgy facebook, reddit hybrid that is based on tags and not on a classic bulletin board format. If that is the case then boards is ****ed.

You have some cajones telling us to be happy with something that should never have seen the light of day. So you have to be kiddin me mate.

You're right he is the Community Manager so absolutely should engage with us. He is doing that.

What is it you would like to see happen and what sort of changes if any do you recommend the site undergo?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Do some of you have no choice but to use the new site or what's the craic there? I'm using the old touch on my phone and the legacy version on my laptop. I'll continue to do so until the new site is sorted out.

Thankfully no I am back on legacy. I looked at the inferior site several times, each not believing the ineptitude of those who thought it was fit for release. I believe those overseas are forced onto it and some have been able to get back onto the legacy or touch sites but there have been reports of a number who haven't been able to get off it.

gandalf wrote: »
    Do some of you have no choice but to use the new site or what's the craic there? I'm using the old touch on my phone and the legacy version on my laptop. I'll continue to do so until the new site is sorted out.

Thankfully no I am back on legacy. I looked at the inferior site several times, each not believing the ineptitude of those who thought it was fit for release. I believe those overseas are forced onto it and some have been able to get back onto the legacy or touch sites but there have been reports of a number who haven't been able to get off it.
    I'm using it now on my phone. I've no issue with it apart from the fact that I'm so used to the touch site.

When you say tags instead of forums what do you mean exactly? In order to open a forum, say feedback for example I click on the heading. That's how it works on the legacy site as well.

You're right he is the Community Manager so absolutely should engage with us. He is doing that.

That post above is not engagement. It's fluff.
    What is it you would like to see happen and what sort of changes if any do you recommend the site undergo?

Boards is about content. It's about being able to generate content and to read and find content. The key is feeding that content out efficiently and effectively.

The main question should be does the new site deliver this better that the existing sites and the answer is no it doesn't. Therefore it has failed on the first hurdle.

FFS they would have better spent their time sorting out the search function. That would be something else a search function on the site that actually worked properly.

The whole category re-jig has also killed the site. Simplification and streamlining the categories should be a priority as well.

There are a number of other items that people have recommended on this thread and the other that would help as well. The main one is that boards is a bulletin board based forum and anything that moves away from this is damaging its legacy.

I'm using it now on my phone. I've no issue with it apart from the fact that I'm so used to the touch site.

I use boards on a laptop, tablet and mobile.

The new site is dreadful on a laptop. On the tablet it is ok but not an improvement on touch which imho was dreadful as well. I use m.boards.ie on the tablet and the mobile because it takes up little data and delivers the content quickly and efficiently.

The new site also looks like it is VERY data heavy compared to the previous sites.
    When you say tags instead of forums what do you mean exactly? In order to open a forum, say feedback for example I click on the heading. That's how it works on the legacy site as well.

Ask Dav he is the one who mentioned it first and then rolled back when people tried to find out if it is in the future road map for boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

B00! wrote: »
    you. have. got. to. be. kiddin'. me.
    They have worked for six long years to give us all a free place to continue to share together, and still have the capacity to expand. May I remind you that Boards operated in the red for a time - all for our benefit! This new site may not be ideal for some of us, but can we not attempt to work with it as graciously as the admins have tried working with us?....or is that beneath us??? The new site has many lovely attributes with a great deal of promise and Dav has been gracious enough to open this dialogue and thoughtfully attempt to address ALL of our endless, disparate, multiplicity of concerns, comments, irritations... and for what? To be told none of it is good enough?! That's some cajones you have, sir!

My pup stuck her paw in a socket
    Now she jerks around in that pocket
    News flash no more cash the bank is closed
    Hoodoo you hate eh? They should be hosed

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

B00! wrote: »
    you. have. got. to. be. kiddin'. me.
    They have worked for six long years to give us all a free place to continue to share together, and still have the capacity to expand. May I remind you that Boards operated in the red for a time - all for our benefit!

Ever heard the old adage, "if you're not paying for it, you're the product"? Boards.ie's unique angle* is the fact that it's Irish, but any user-driven website that assumes users will come because the website somehow is special will go the way of Digg.

Incidentally, Reddit, Snapchat, Twitter, etc., are also operating in the red. No, not all for our benefit either, but because they're clearly following a growth first approach. As is this site. And it might not work very well either (upvoted.com, anyone?). How to monetise social media effectively is a discussion for another day, but you sure as hell don't want to start by forcing a seemingly untested "beta" on a large section of your users, especially not right after being offline and unstable for a few days. See Digg's demise above, or boards's own reduction of traffic to many of its forums because of a badly designed "streamlined" menu. Issues with the new menu would've been avoided by simple A/B testing. The new layout doesn't seem to have undergone any testing before being released as beta (and beta versions are not meant to be the first stage of testing. Then again, neither are they meant to be forced on users! Thankfully boards backtracked on that one...)

*Bug: this is supposed to say "unique angle", but even though I can see it correctly in the textbox, it looks mangled when I preview the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Was just forced onto the new look site for a few mins. Thankfully it was just for a few mins. It looks horrible. Lots of wasted space. If the legacy view is discontinued I will no longer visit.
    I am on the site for 11 years. Between the new site and an issue with MegaThreads on Bargain Alerts I am disillusioned particularly with the inability of management and mods to take on board constructive criticism or engage with discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Losing connection persistently over the last hour.... Really really irritating. Not sure anybody cares though, as it's on the legacy site. Touch, chrome, in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

I've managed to figure out that boards.ie/? will bring you to the legacy frontpage but all further links bounce me back to the "responsive site" on opera mini. Anybody out there using Opera Mini figure out how to get a useable version of the site?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Losing connection persistently over the last hour.... Really really irritating. Not sure anybody cares though, as it's on the legacy site. Touch, chrome, in Australia.
    I'm more local in Dublin, but today I've had the minor "log in again" screen a couple of times. Not exactly a stress. I suspect the anti DDOS Cloudflare protection in play? TBH, for me anyway, given the pain in the arse that the DDOS muppet attack was and continues to be, I can live with that. Even though I can see the heavier PITA it might be for overseas folks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a bug and it seems someone else has it as well as they posted in the thread reporting the same problem. Happens only while on the mobile site.

http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057593132#99690831
    Please fix this very annoying when on phone and cannot scroll down to see which thread got a new post.

As at the minute I have to guess and go through loads of forums just to find which thread there was a post in.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm more local in Dublin, but today I've had the minor "log in again" screen a couple of times. Not exactly a stress. I suspect the anti DDOS Cloudflare protection in play? TBH, for me anyway, given the pain in the arse that the DDOS muppet attack was and continues to be, I can live with that. Even though I can see the heavier PITA it might be for overseas folks.

Minor pita but annoying when I get a limited amount of down time and then that happens. It happens a bit more during the day (middle of the night there) too.
    The log in screen happens more often though, now that is annoying.

Minor pita but annoying when I get a limited amount of down time and then that happens. It happens a bit more during the day (middle of the night there) too.
    The log in screen happens more often though, now that is annoying.

Have noticed repeated 522 connection errors from CloudFlare between 04:00 and 06:00 local time. Would this match your Aus time?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Have noticed repeated 522 connection errors from CloudFlare between 04:00 and 06:00 local time. Would this match your Aus time?

Yeah it would do I suppose, Can't remember the time exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Overseas and ended up with the new site and it's awful. I hate it. Can't find any forums in the search, TDAR specifically. Can't scroll my followed threads. Back button brings me all the way out of boards to whatever I had open instead of back a page within boards. Awful

Too much space taken up by the banners etc. Unresponsive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The 'last post' option on the homepage seems greyed out sometimes on mobile. Chrome and Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I have a bug and it seems someone else has it as well as they posted in the thread reporting the same problem. Happens only while on the mobile site.

http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057593132#99690831
    Please fix this very annoying when on phone and cannot scroll down to see which thread got a new post.

As at the minute I have to guess and go through loads of forums just to find which thread there was a post in.

This is driving me really crazy !! I have the same issue on iOS. I'm in the states since March so I'm forced to use this new mobile site. I can't even view the "talk to" forums no more in mobile view it just opens a full desktop page on my phone. Weirdly enough if I goto my followed threads and if one of those is a talk to thread it will display the new mobile version of that thread .. But if I try view the talk to thread any other way I get the desktop view .. Weird

Try the Touch site? Might be better until something much better comes along...

http://touch.boards.ie

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

When I goto the touch site I get the new site that's the problem it's forcing me to use the new site :(

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    When I goto the touch site I get the new site that's the problem it's forcing me to use the new site :(

Dav is there any chance the overseas users can be spared from being forced onto that tainted site until it at least is some way fit for purpose?

I'm right in thinking it's been over a week since an official update from the office isn't it?

I'm overseas also, you have the option at the end of the page to switch to the legacy site.

I'm overseas also, you have the option at the end of the page to switch to the legacy site.

It seems that some users either can't access that or haven't seen it. I'm not overseas so thankfully don't have this issue but the new site should be opt in for every one and not forced as default on a small sub section of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

To be honest folks, I don't find the new user experience to be great. I migrated back to the legacy site this morning because certain things are either not obvious or not there.

1) the reply button here, at least does nothing. Need to use what I assume is quick reply box underneath instead. Get rid of the reply button if you expect people to use the quickreply box instead.

2) instead of Preview Post and Submit Reply I have Manage Attachments and Submit Reply. Where is Preview Post? I actually used it by default.

3) clicking on my profile does not provide the functionality I expect to see. Where's my stats page? All that seems to be available in the new front end is my posts and the posts I replied to. Some of us actually did use the stats and profile page for tracking and finding stuff.

I don't particularly like the look and feel although to be fair, the look and feel of the legacy site is hardly sexy.

In answer to the question: is the new site a better user experience than the legacy site, I'd have to say no. No it isn't. It's not even the lack of familiarity but as a responsive site it looks fairly awful on a widescreen from a subjective point of view.

I'd have to wonder what exactly you're trying to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I am using the new site on mobile and desktop and the one frustrating bug on mobile I have told about already where the same image is generated while you scroll down on the my threads page.

One bug on desktop may be on mobile as well is when you try to post the pound symbol and euro symbol they do not post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Every year the user experience of the new versions of the site worsens for me. If I was given a link to the "2006 version" (or sometime back then ) I'd click on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

This is all on the new site theme.

The CSS and Javascript aren't working properly on the signup and login pages also when I try to post sometimes I just get a white page and can't post my thread.

Login & signup page console errors:

Posting a new topic in Help Desk:
    NetworkError: 500 Internal Server Error - http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/new-thread/30

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Bunch of 522 errors again there since around 22.00

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The lack of clear separation between posts on the new theme is really bad - it's fatiguing to the eyes to not see physical divisions between posts and having to differentiate. Is the current theme really that bad? Why can't it just be a light update to vBulletin's theme rather than attempting to start over?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement