Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

did he not say he fancied her?

He said she was great looking, certainly looks wise no issue, but he said a couple of other things where her personality didn't match his.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    She was way out of his league and quite sexually forthright ( in a really attractive way I might add ), perhaps he was intimidated, maybe he deliberately sabotaged the date ?

Could have put him off. Either way I thought they were both nice in their own way, just didn't seem to match up. And that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Still Ill wrote: »
    Test it on the second date then! Not on tv and make yourself look a prat! I'm in my thirties and I think the guy should always pay on First Dates unless the the girl acting absolutely terribly or she's putting up huge resistance to him paying. Guys who don't pay generally come out of it looking really badly. It's just not worth it for the sake of €50. There's plenty of times to assess later if she's the type to just bleed them dry.

Thought the red head guy dealt with the bill very well with what could've been an awkward situation, given you'd have strong suspicions she might have been a hardline feminist. Thought he was brilliant overall on his date. Came across very well.

This comment is the female version of a man saying a woman should make the dinner at home.

Completely out of date and sexist.

I thought Barbara was nice albeit potentially a bit Edna Krabappel the way she was talking. I was sure Miley from Glenroe was going to get another date until he made a complete mess of the bill situation. I know it is 2021 but why not just pay the €50 and see where it went after that, lots of time to find out if she's high maintenance.
    I thought Donna and Joseph McCaul seemed like a good match but I wouldn't be sure she wouldn't be an insufferable individual.
    The gay guys were the nicest gays on the series to date. They seemed really nice.
    The other couple were a bit meh for me. He was nice, she was a motormouth.
    It wasn't a great episode for me.

Anyone who uses twitter would probably see her pop up on their pages often enough. She is indeed a headwrecker.

She had this thing a few months ago where she changed her name to "hoofin' [enter surname, not sure if her surname was named on the show]"

She then proceeded for weeks making tweets like: "Imagine Marty Morrisey there hoofin' it into ya!"..."Imagine Micheal Martin there hoofin' it into ya!"

A complete headwrecker. Not sure I can post a twitter profile even though she's a bit of an Irish twitter personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

She was way out of his league and quite sexually forthright ( in a really attractive way I might add ), perhaps he was intimidated, maybe he deliberately sabotaged the date ?

Totally, I just watched it on playback there and God he was totally punching.
    She can find a much more fun and chilled out fella. He was a bit of a bore and not attractive at all.

Why do so many gay people go on this show?

So the gay community is tiny in Ireland and they all seem to know each other when they meet...you'd wonder why they'd bother running the risk of it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Pussyhands wrote: »
    This comment is the female version of a man saying a woman should make the dinner at home.

Completely out of date and sexist.

Well, I'm a man, so I'd be the person who's willing to pay for the dinner. Despite you thinking it's out of date and sexist you'll find that a lot of men and women feel the same about it even in this day and age. We've seen plenty of proof of that in the show over the years.
    I also said I'd pay unless the woman put up resistance. I wouldn't be forcing a feminist who 100% believes in equality in every form to accept me paying for them. I just think it's a nice thing to do.
    As for thinking it's the equivalent of saying a woman should make the dinner at home, I can assure you I'm happy enough making my own dinner and wouldn't expect any woman to make it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Last night's older couple were the first older couple I didn't like

I liked the gay couple and hope they are still together, even as a Taylor Swift fan none were overly camp or ott

I liked Miranda, I'd say she was nervous so talked too much

I will say fair play to anyone who goes on it, bravo to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I have applied for the next series and i fully intend to say at the start of the meal that as I earn my own money I would like to share the cost. I will be saying it at the start of the meal so that nothing can be read into it and my intentions to say yes/no afterwards. How do people feel about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I have applied for the next series and i fully intend to say at the start of the meal that as I earn my own money I would like to share the cost. I will be saying it at the start of the meal so that nothing can be read into it and my intentions to say yes/no afterwards. How do people feel about that?

I'm actually delighted to see you've applied. Fair play to you. From your posts here you seem like a good, fun person.

With the bill thing, I wouldn't bother saying that. Just go and enjoy yourself. When the bill comes you can explain that you earn your own money and offer to pay or split it.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm actually delighted to see you've applied. Fair play to you. From your posts here you seem like a good, fun person.

With the bill thing, I wouldn't bother saying that. Just go and enjoy yourself. When the bill comes you can explain that you earn your own money and offer to pay or split it.

I do think I am ok but how I would come across with cameras on is another matter. I don't know if I would want to share as much as they seem to be comfortable with every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I do think I am ok but how I would come across with cameras on is another matter. I don't know if I would want to share as much as they seem to be comfortable with every week.

You can go on it can't you and be one of the couples in the bg? Aka not be one of the 'featured' couples?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Last night's older couple were the first older couple I didn't like

I liked the gay couple and hope they are still together, even as a Taylor Swift fan none were overly camp or ott

I liked Miranda, I'd say she was nervous so talked too much

I will say fair play to anyone who goes on it, bravo to them

The older couple , her story about her ex reminded me alot of the Mary Gaugh Whelan murder. I think he was abit intimidated by her, she does kept coming out with stuff he didn't seem to have a clue about (her jokes) ...her face was like thunder though when he said "splitsies" ....I do wonder about editing though....he seemed fine at the meal but then in the final interview he was so flushed like he had just sank a few whiskeys. Maybe he was just mortified.

You can share as much or as little as you want. If you dont want to get into anything too personal just keep it to nice, light conversation like hobbies, why you decided to apply or whatever. I'm sure you'll come across fine. Nobody comes across too terribly in general tbf.

Lesalare wrote: »
    You can go on it can't you and be one of the couples in the bg? Aka not be one of the 'featured' couples?

The background daters before covid were couples already, not first daters. My missus and I thought about going once but didn't. With covid, the background daters were housemates or family members of the first daters.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope you get on it and enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Barbara looking good/ hot at 57

Smoking

I would and she's got twenty years on me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Rachel (red head) is a twitter personality. Probably just went on to have some content for her twitter.

Ultra woke also.

saw her twitter, she has an opinion on everything doesnt she....she's bit of a headwrecker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

No

You invite a woman out to dinner and you pay for it

Basic manners

Whoever asks pays
    Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Don't forget to give us shout out ;)

To thine own self be true

Don't forget to give us shout out ;)

Of course I will. I'll try wrangle boards into the conversation, even if it's floorboards and I'll let you all know what week I am on. My youngest daughter youngest son are the ones who encouraged me to go for it. I was surprised really. I hadn't even mentioned it to them.

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    The background daters before covid were couples already, not first daters. My missus and I thought about going once but didn't. With covid, the background daters were housemates or family members of the first daters.

My friend applied and was a background dater, the programme makers decide who are the main daters and who's in the background.

My friend applied and was a background dater, the programme makers decide who are the main daters and who's in the background.

Ah fair enough. Just not all the background daters will be first daters who applied to go on the show. Some are just couples on a night out.

You GO KATHLEEN.....fair play ,well done & huge KUDOS to you. Heres hoping you get picked.....Itll be a sellout!!! As another poster said I personally WOULDN'T kick off with the " im paying my half" line.....its a wee bit " meh, whatever".... like, we're all HOPING Kathleen is going to meet her prince in shining armour, her soul mate.......so what real difference is a restaurant tab going to make in the ' big scheme' of things?? Now, of course, if he comes out with a word like " splitzies" at the coffee stage... I'll expect nothing less than you to pour a glass of red wine over his head

You GO KATHLEEN.....fair play ,well done & huge KUDOS to you. Heres hoping you get picked.....Itll be a sellout!!! As another poster said I personally WOULDN'T kick off with the " im paying my half" line.....its a wee bit " meh, whatever".... like, we're all HOPING Kathleen is going to meet her prince in shining armour, her soul mate.......so what real difference is a restaurant tab going to make in the ' big scheme' of things?? Now, of course, if he comes out with a word like " splitzies" at the coffee stage... I'll expect nothing less than you to pour a glass of red wine over his head

Wow thanks but you know how it is. A person's personality on an anonymous online site might be hugely different to real life. I could be a boring auld wan.

I don't have any expectations of a knight in shining armour. I just want some nice, kind man who is easy to get on with and won't turn out to be a lazy, selfish ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Why do so many gay people go on this show?

So the gay community is tiny in Ireland and they all seem to know each other when they meet...you'd wonder why they'd bother running the risk of it happening.

There’s a certain type of gay man who seems to be very into getting tv publicity and then build on it so they get invited to media events/ product launches

Often they will have a “flamboyant” style or manner designed to stand out and get attention.

Some veer over to overbearing, annoying or rudeness

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

Wow thanks but you know how it is. A person's personality on an anonymous online site might be hugely different to real life. I could be a boring auld wan.

I don't have any expectations of a knight in shining armour. I just want some nice, kind man who is easy to get on with and won't turn out to be a lazy, selfish ****.

Fair play to you. Huge admiration for you and I sincerely hope you meet someone special.

Re the bill business. I think you should just go, be yourself and enjoy the evening. Let it flow and decide what to do about the bill at the end. It is after all the most natural time to deal with it. Anything else is just injecting an awkwardness into the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

saw her twitter, she has an opinion on everything doesnt she....she's bit of a headwrecker

whats her twitter name ?

whats her twitter name ?

Is it allowed to be posted?

Was her full name said on the show?

Just seen Rachel and Ben were on a podcast today going on about their experiences on the show.

These publicity seekers should be weeded out of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I don't understand the big deal about paying for a meal. It's only around €30 each; unless you're having dinner with a homeless person, it should always be 50/50 on principle. Why should I buy a stranger a meal? Otherwise, I'd be expecting at least a handjob on the escalator down :pac: Actually, WTF? Why don't RTE pay for the meals, the cheap bastards? Absolutely ridiculous that the contestants even have to have this stupid moment in every episode.

Quite a few tragic tales going on last night as well. I was actually laughing at it, it's so cynically done by RTE. Slipping in one sad story is fine, but when they are all at it, it's ridiculous.

Advertisement