Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Is it allowed to be posted?

Was her full name said on the show?

I dont think her full name was posted but her Twitter handle doesn't have her name on it either so wouldn't make a difference.

But if you searched #FirstDatesIRL on Twitter she is about the 5th or 6th tweet down. She seems quite pìssed off that the royal death got such coverage today.

She seems quite pìssed off that the royal death got such coverage today.[/QUOTE]

Had a look at that there......that's the UNDERSTATEMENT of the day!!!!!!!

Had a look at that there......that's the UNDERSTATEMENT of the day!!!!!!!

Lol. Yeah. Didnt want to over sell it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I'm not on twitter. Was it bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

KevRossi wrote: »
    He said she was great looking, certainly looks wise no issue, but he said a couple of other things where her personality didn't match his.

I was surprised at most of the people here thinking that they were odds-on for a second date until he ballsed it up ... I got the impression that she wasn't all that pushed, and the same for him as the show went on. He did say that she was good-looking, but as you say, I think he realised they weren't a match.

Still painful watching his 'splitsies' suggestion and her reaction.

• Advertisement

I'm not on twitter. Was it bad?

Nothing overly bad said tbf. Just a lot of giving out.

I was surprised at most of the people here thinking that they were odds-on for a second date until he ballsed it up ... I got the impression that she wasn't all that pushed, and the same for him as the show went on. He did say that she was good-looking, but as you say, I think he realised they weren't a match.

Still painful watching his 'splitsies' suggestion and her reaction.

He snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

She was a stunner for 57

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Too many on this show just looking for publicity.

That Sex Siopa was on it and now she's on RTE often (there's even a new article on here at this minute)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,978 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Just had a look at that red heads twitter, I have never seen someone tweet so much, it is like she tweets every 5 minutes.
    I don't care about the royal family and think it is a prehistoric idea but why does she feel the need to almost gloat about the death of a very old man, you would think he was her enemy or something, was it not her who was talking about how the death of her mother made her depressed? "feel sorry for me but lets all laugh at the death of prince Philip". TWAT.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Just had a look at that red heads twitter, I have never seen someone tweet so much, it is like she tweets every 5 minutes.
    I don't care about the royal family and think it is a prehistoric idea but why does she feel the need to almost gloat about the death of a very old man, you would think he was her enemy or something, was it not her who was talking about how the death of her mother made her depressed? "feel sorry for me but lets all laugh at the death of prince Philip". TWAT.

I put her profile into a twitter analyser and it said she tweets about 50 times a day on average.

That means if she's awake 14 hours a day, she sends a tweet on average every 17 minutes, for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Too many on this show just looking for publicity.

That Sex Siopa was on it and now she's on RTE often (there's even a new article on here at this minute)

:confused: who?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,533 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Casual fan, what I hate about it lately...
    1. More than one person arriving for one half of the date, please fook off, one person, one date, if you can't do this the show is not for you, call The Samaritans, Waltons etc.
    2. No 2nd timers, if you didn't make it first time around, feck off with your circa 6.5 million social media gig to Channel 5 or look for talent in the traditional way, Ireland only has 4.5million to choose from.
    3. Meal payment should just be changed to be fully payed for by production company, it's a waste of time part of the show...I assume at the moment this is the case but whoever offers to pay in full gets a tad less appearance money.
    4. Anyone who doesn't know what way the door opens on entry to the restaurant is instantly told to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I have applied for the next series and i fully intend to say at the start of the meal that as I earn my own money I would like to share the cost. I will be saying it at the start of the meal so that nothing can be read into it and my intentions to say yes/no afterwards. How do people feel about that?

Tbh, that would put me off if brought up at the start, maybe bring it up in general conversation during he meal, for example say ever notice how the paying for the meal sometimes becomes an issue & see where the chat goes on it

I’m a bit older though & if I was on it as a male I’d certainly prefer to pay even if it wasn’t going anywhere for whatever reason, not 100% sure why, probably the way I was raised but would just see it as a nice thing to do, if my date got all militant about it I’d find it off putting & I’ve no problem with independent women with their own income, it’s just a treat / small gift with no strings, just say thanks & enjoy the rest of the date if it progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Kathleen, go enjoy yourself and don't worry about the bill.
    If you insist on paying half, do it when it arrives. Forget about it until then.
    Be yourself and do give us a heads up when you are coming on, we will all be rooting for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I really hope if she goes on she doesn’t listen to advice from this thread. She’ll walk in and immediately lose the entire room by shouting “AH MORE GAYS HERE I SEE! ARE YOU WOKE I DIDN’T REALISE YOU WE WERE ALL SLEEPING?”

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :confused: who?

Shawna Scott - owns sex siopa. Lots of twitter followers.

Just had an article on RTE again yesterday about moving to Sligo from Dublin and the business during lockdown etc. She's commonly got articles it.

Was on First Dates 2/3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭purifol0

Aha a lot of offended wimmin on here demanding that men be treated as a meal ticket, and then the same wimmin say not a word when the tramps say "lets meet as friends".

Yiz have notions of yourselves, feminism is a swizz, yiz want equality just not when it comes to the bill. "Men should pay", is in line with dating apps - "men should always text first". Ladies here's a tip - write first and/or offer to pay half - you'll get a man who's loyal because he wont think you're just another leech who sells their time for money.

Oh and for the above poster who claims that ladies have to spend loads of money on face paint and hair spray; I think I speak for all men when I say how about you pay for a gym membership instead and don't lie about your looks using makeup & fake eyelashes, heels, nails, bra inserts & every hunz favourite - fake tan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭YellowLead

purifol0 wrote: »
    Aha a lot of offended wimmin on here demanding that men be treated as a meal ticket, and then the same wimmin say not a word when the tramps say "lets meet as friends".

Yiz have notions of yourselves, feminism is a swizz, yiz want equality just not when it comes to the bill. "Men should pay", is in line with dating apps - "men should always text first". Ladies here's a tip - write first and/or offer to pay half - you'll get a man who's loyal because he wont think you're just another leech who sells their time for money.

Oh and for the above poster who claims that ladies have to spend loads of money on face paint and hair spray; I think I speak for all men when I say how about you pay for a gym membership instead and don't lie about your looks using makeup & fake eyelashes, heels, nails, bra inserts & every hunz favourite - fake tan

Bitter much? Jeez! I bet you’re a real hit with the ladies!! Do you hate women or something??? I love how you tar us all with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

YellowLead wrote: »
    Bitter much? Jeez! I bet you’re a real hit with the ladies!! Do you hate women or something??? I love how you tar us all with the same brush.

Wimmin you mean :D As the speaker of all men, naturally he tars all hunz with the same brush. You could only laugh really

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Casual fan, what I hate about it lately...
    1. More than one person arriving for one half of the date, please fook off, one person, one date, if you can't do this the show is not for you, call The Samaritans, Waltons etc.
    2. No 2nd timers, if you didn't make it first time around, feck off with your circa 6.5 million social media gig to Channel 5 or look for talent in the traditional way, Ireland only has 4.5million to choose from.
    3. Meal payment should just be changed to be fully payed for by production company, it's a waste of time part of the show...I assume at the moment this is the case but whoever offers to pay in full gets a tad less appearance money.
    4. Anyone who doesn't know what way the door opens on entry to the restaurant is instantly told to feck off.
    1, 2 and 4 yes.

3 - I think that bit is interesting tbh, see who offers to pay etc.
    You don't get "appearance money" they seemingly give you 30 euro each towards the bill thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Of course I will. I'll try wrangle boards into the conversation, even if it's floorboards and I'll let you all know what week I am on. My youngest daughter youngest son are the ones who encouraged me to go for it. I was surprised really. I hadn't even mentioned it to them.

Fair play Kathleen! The best of luck! I'd love to do this myself. But.. I have a lazy eye! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

I don't think the guy was wrong for asking to go splits. Gender Equality goes both ways. With equal rights comes equal responsibilities. You don't get to cherry pick and ask for equal pay and rights and jobs etc. but then decide men should still always be the ones to foot the bill on a first date. Don't get me wrong, I still think it’s a nice gesture for either gender to offer if they so choose but I definitely disagree with how she reacted and how people are making out he is in the wrong for asking. There are plenty of women who might be offended at a man insisting on paying the bill.

DodoDojo wrote: »
    I don't think the guy was wrong for asking to go splits. Gender Equality goes both ways. With equal rights comes equal responsibilities. You don't get to cherry pick and ask for equal pay and rights and jobs etc. but then decide men should still always be the ones to foot the bill on a first date. Don't get me wrong, I still think it’s a nice gesture for either gender to offer if they so choose but I definitely disagree with how she reacted and how people are making out he is in the wrong for asking. There are plenty of women who might be offended at a man insisting on paying the bill.

Yeah I'm surprised by the support for her in this thread.

Women can't pick and choose what inequalities they want to get rid of.

Even people here saying "if a man asks a woman out then he should pay"....why? A woman accepts. It's not like a man is lucky he gets to take a woman out for dinner to audition for her...it's a shared company.

A woman who expects a man to pay for her is a right turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I didn't watch the episode but maybe the women believes in traditional male and female roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I didn't watch the episode but maybe the women believes in traditional male and female roles?

I think it’s about the gesture rather than the actual cash itself.

A lot of traditional roles still stand in dating, based on the fundamental differences between the sexes I can’t see that every MASSIVELY changing.

The men are usually the ones to to the chasing - and paying for the first date is sort of part of that ritual.

If I didn’t want to see a guy for a second date I would not let him pay. But if I did I would, again it’s part of the ritual, then I would insist on paying for the second one because that’s only fair. It’s not about the money, but what it symbolises.

If somebody took me up on my offer to pay on a first date (I always offer) I wouldn’t be the slightest bit taken aback and would gladly pay my half. But it’s so unusual for a man not to want to pay that if he started off with as ask for me to pay half (unless I knew he was broke) I would think either he didn’t like me or he is not very gentlemanly, which would put me off.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense I know...it’s just how I feel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

A friend of mine is on it this week....can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I would have no problem paying for dinner with any woman who on the date I got the impression that she believes at least in some part of traditional values.

If on the other hand I had listened to some militant feminist for the previous hour, I would have absolutely no hesitation getting her to pay her half. Especially as date #2 was probably not something I would be interested in. And if she refused, I'd pay my half half and walk out and let the restaurant deal with her and her militant views

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The problem with the argument against paying is that, 100% of the time, it comes across as trying to intellectualise being a scrounge with money.

Here’s the thing: I don’t believe that men should have to pay for women. But if I’m out with a friend who’s a lad having a meal and I have the money to pay, I’ve no problem picking up the cheque as a nice gesture. If I won the lotto, none of my friends would ever pay for dinner or drinks in my company again, and I’ve got good mates so I’d say the favour would be returned if the shoe was on the other foot.

The truth is it’s awkward and tight to break down who bought what and quantify a fun, social interaction. Good friends or partners will get you back, if not directly then in other ways, so to be counting pennies is almost like putting a price on your friendship and seeing people as walking bags of money.

There doesn’t need to be rules or this whole ‘thing’ about paying. If you get the feeling someone is just seeing you as a free meal, you’ll pick up on it and can deal with it case-by-case. It’s extremely rare tbh. So that’s why, in my opinion, when people start making this hard and fast rules it reeks of one of two things:

1) They’ve extremely low self-esteem and don’t see themselves as worthy of people spending time with them when they’re paying so they’re CONSTANTLY on the lookout for being taken advantage of because that’s their expectation of how people see them. And/or...

2) They’re extremely tight with money. And this is an extremely unattractive quality in anyone that translates to people in date scenarios, setting off a cycle where they start to see the world as filled with people just trying to get free meals then not being interested in them, so they get more and more bitter as the cycle repeats. When, in truth, if they hadn’t been so tight to begin with, people might’ve hung around a bit longer to show them they weren’t trying to swindle them out of €50 for some dinner and drinks and see the world completely differently as a result.

leggo wrote: »
    The problem with the argument against paying is that, 100% of the time, it comes across as trying to intellectualise being a scrounge with money.

Here’s the thing: I don’t believe that men should have to pay for women. But if I’m out with a friend who’s a lad having a meal and I have the money to pay, I’ve no problem picking up the cheque as a nice gesture. If I won the lotto, none of my friends would ever pay for dinner or drinks in my company again, and I’ve got good mates so I’d say the favour would be returned if the shoe was on the other foot.

The truth is it’s awkward and tight to break down who bought what and quantify a fun, social interaction. Good friends or partners will get you back, if not directly then in other ways, so to be counting pennies is almost like putting a price on your friendship and seeing people as walking bags of money.

There doesn’t need to be rules or this whole ‘thing’ about paying. If you get the feeling someone is just seeing you as a free meal, you’ll pick up on it and can deal with it case-by-case. It’s extremely rare tbh. So that’s why, in my opinion, when people start making this hard and fast rules it reeks of one of two things:

1) They’ve extremely low self-esteem and don’t see themselves as worthy of people spending time with them when they’re paying so they’re CONSTANTLY on the lookout for being taken advantage of because that’s their expectation of how people see them. And/or...

2) They’re extremely tight with money. And this is an extremely unattractive quality in anyone that translates to people in date scenarios, setting off a cycle where they start to see the world as filled with people just trying to get free meals then not being interested in them, so they get more and more bitter as the cycle repeats. When, in truth, if they hadn’t been so tight to begin with, people might’ve hung around a bit longer to show them they weren’t trying to swindle them out of €50 for some dinner and drinks and see the world completely differently as a result.

And why is it only men that are seen to be tight with money if they don't offer to pay for the whole meal if the woman never offers and just sits back and accepts right away?

It's out dated and sexist to expect a man to pay, for whatever reason. If a man wants to pay, fair enough, but you'll never see a woman on the show offer to pay for the full amount. At best it's 50%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

And why is it only men that are seen to be tight with money if they don't offer to pay for the whole meal if the woman never offers and just sits back and accepts right away?

It's out dated and sexist to expect a man to pay, for whatever reason. If a man wants to pay, fair enough, but you'll never see a woman on the show offer to pay for the full amount. At best it's 50%.

One did offer and paid full whack for her date...he got abused for allowing it :D

Advertisement