Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Where’s this expectation you speak of, though? Like point to me where in the episode it was said “A man should pay for a meal.” This is textbook of this thread where people are just bringing their own issues to the table instead of actually looking at what happened. To the two incidents in question:

1) He was seen as tight because the second the bill came he instantly made a big deal about only paying for his half. This would still be tight if it was two lads who were having a meal in a non-romantic setting.

2) The other lad was a bit naive in letting her pay because he summarised that it was a sign that she liked him in the interview afterwards. He’s naive there in that he failed to read the room, that she was paying for him because she felt bad for him and definitely wasn’t attracted. If he’d have been like “she’s probably not interested so I said I’d take the free meal”, I’d say the response here and elsewhere would’ve been “fair play you legend.” Nothing to do with gender, that part is all you.

You guys are misreading basic social situations then shouting at a cloud for your own false assumptions about what’s happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

So nobody noticed the hot 57 yr old whincing when splitsies walks in and shook her head at the Barman? Funny how her attitude to him changes when she hears Foxrock! Also moaning about him wanting to split the bill really showed me whats shes really like.

I get red flag vibes off of her like shes high maintenance or gets bored easily as I can imagine she gets loads of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

leggo wrote: »
    Where’s this expectation you speak of, though? Like point to me where in the episode it was said “A man should pay for a meal.” This is textbook of this thread where people are just bringing their own issues to the table instead of actually looking at what happened. To the two incidents in question:

1) He was seen as tight because the second the bill came he instantly made a big deal about only paying for his half. This would still be tight if it was two lads who were having a meal in a non-romantic setting.

2) The other lad was a bit naive in letting her pay because he summarised that it was a sign that she liked him in the interview afterwards. He’s naive there in that he failed to read the room, that she was paying for him because she felt bad for him and definitely wasn’t attracted. If he’d have been like “she’s probably not interested so I said I’d take the free meal”, I’d say the response here and elsewhere would’ve been “fair play you legend.” Nothing to do with gender, that part is all you.

You guys are misreading basic social situations then shouting at a cloud for your own false assumptions about what’s happening.

The only person I've seen mention anything about anyone being tight is you. He didn't make a big deal about anything. He just asked politely if they should go splits, and she put on a big face and made him feel awkward about it. If anything she is the one being tight, going out and expecting the other person to pay for her. This was all on screen, nobody is shouting at false clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

DodoDojo wrote: »
    The only person I've seen mention anything about anyone being tight is you. He didn't make a big deal about anything. He just asked politely if they should go splits, and she put on a big face and made him feel awkward about it. If anything she is the one being tight, going out and expecting the other person to pay for her. This was all on screen, nobody is shouting at false clouds.

I think it shows you're not that interested if you suggest to split straight off the bat. An offer to pay for both meals (by either sex) shows that you enjoyed yourself and the company. Even if it's just an offer. You can decide to split the bill afterwards. A gesture is all that's needed.

I don't think anyone would be enamoured by someone if they jumped at the opportunity to split the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Can't wait for a new episode so we can talk about something else rather than fcking splitzys!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Can't wait for a new episode so we can talk about something else rather than fcking splitzys!!!

Splitsies?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So nobody noticed the hot 57 yr old whincing when splitsies walks in and shook her head at the Barman? Funny how her attitude to him changes when she hears Foxrock! Also moaning about him wanting to split the bill really showed me whats shes really like.

I get red flag vibes off of her like shes high maintenance or gets bored easily as I can imagine she gets loads of attention.

I’d agree with some of this.

I just got a vibe of pure entitlement and meanness from her.

Splitting a bill on first date is NOT a big ask. She reacted as if he had asked her for a 100 grand or something.

Her reaction made me suspicious about the “happy go lucky” image she so carefully presented during the interview. I’d say the reality is very different behind the scenes.

I’d be a bit mortified too if someone grabbed the bill before I could see it then tried to push me to go “splitsies” on it, she said yeah like and he kept arguing with her saying “it’s only fair.” As well as being just a weird thing to say, it comes across in the moment like you know you owe more than them and are trying to get the other person to pay more than their share. If you wanted to go Dutch, fine, but let the other person see the bill at least. :pac:

If you behave oddly, people will treat you as an oddball. And no amount of whining or rationalising on boards.ie will change that. So he wound up talking about how sexy she was in one scene, then going home alone in the next. You can intellectualise it all you want but in the real world that’s still the end result you’ll get 99% of the time, nobody is going to say “It really turned me on how he tried to control the bill and pressure me.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

A few people have mentioned that the producers give each person €30 towards the bill. If this is true, do the people who don't pay anything get a free meal and €30 in their pocket????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

bogmanfan wrote: »
    A few people have mentioned that the producers give each person €30 towards the bill. If this is true, do the people who don't pay anything get a free meal and €30 in their pocket????
    I think it is 30 between two of them. What I would like to know is the 30 euro discount already knocked off when they get the bill or do the producers give it to them afterwards?

• Advertisement

Without having been on the show but knowing how these things tend to work, I’d say with almost absolute certainty it’s just discounted off the bill. Makes it easier from a tax, paper trail standpoint to deal with the business directly (I’d say no cash even exchanges hands and the Gibson just have a discount and build it into costs for hiring the venue for use, if there is any) and eliminates the risk that the “Who pays” discussion ends up factoring in boring administrative stuff like “Well they’ve given us €30 so do you wanna take €15 off that and €15 off this” etc. It’d be mental to do it the other way. But then again, RTE...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Without having been on the show but knowing how these things tend to work, I’d say with almost absolute certainty it’s just discounted off the bill. Makes it easier from a tax, paper trail standpoint to deal with the business directly (I’d say no cash even exchanges hands and the Gibson just have a discount and build it into costs for hiring the venue for use, if there is any) and eliminates the risk that the “Who pays” discussion ends up factoring in boring administrative stuff like “Well they’ve given us €30 so do you wanna take €15 off that and €15 off this” etc. It’d be mental to do it the other way. But then again, RTE...

Ha the fact you mentioned Rte!
    They probably have a whole department just to deal with the dinner tabs from First Dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd go on if they footed €160 of the bill. At least then I'd actually get value for my TV license.

This thread is just becoming people giving out about having to pay for things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This thread is just becoming people giving out about having to pay for things.

In six hours time we'll have something/someone else to bitch about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Is it sad that this is kind of the highlight of my week (watching the show)???
    Though to be fair this has been a pretty good week now that we can leave our 5ks!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

A dead horse is most certainly flogged but the thing that got me was just how disgusted the women themselves are about the suggestion of splitting the bill.

Sexy blonde was all smiles, laughs and the date was going splendidly. They had great chemistry and I’ve no doubt it was a pair of “yes”s. Cue splitzies. She had a face of thunder and instantly became pouty with the distaste about splitting the bill. Get over yourself luv. Keep laughing call him a tightar*e, split the bill and go for drink after.

The nice british guy had the same a few series ago when he genuinely ask should they still the bill?? She said yes OK and when asked backstage stopped short of throwing a massive strop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

ShagNastii wrote: »
    A dead horse is most certainly flogged but the thing that got me was just how disgusted the women themselves are about the suggestion of splitting the bill.

Sexy blonde was all smiles, laughs and the date was going splendidly. They had great chemistry and I’ve no doubt it was a pair of “yes”s. Cue splitzies. She had a face of thunder and instantly became pouty with the distaste about splitting the bill. Get over yourself luv. Keep laughing call him a tightar*e, split the bill and go for drink after.

The nice british guy had the same a few series ago when he genuinely ask should they still the bill?? She said yes OK and when asked backstage stopped short of throwing a massive strop.

Maybe she was just all smiles until she got him to pay the bill,which didn't work out for her, then she might have said lets be friends.

YellowLead wrote: »
    Is it sad that this is kind of the highlight of my week (watching the show)???

" HIGHLIGHT of the week" might be a bit of a stretch but its about the only thing ( tv) that Mrs Mc Carthy & I agree on to watch- she does the soaps whereas I'm a skysports kinda guy- but Thursday nights a bottle of red & FDI fits the bill nicely

I know he’s only 22 but what is it with those skin tight jeans on men - not a good luck to be bursting out of them!

• Advertisement

2 years. 2 years, and 4 years. Eh you’re 20

What’s in the bag!!!

Can’t baaaaate a good wickla accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Can’t baaaaate a good wickla accent.

Ah, it's a quare 'n bad accent though.

Skerries/Malahide seem suited but I’m not sure if she’ll go for him.

57 years of age and going around trying to look like a teenager..

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

YellowLead wrote: »
    Skerries/Malahide seem suited but I’m not sure if she’ll go for him.

I like her. Cool, calm, friendly and looks lovely. He seems very nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is that a wig?

She looks like a Shirley.

• Advertisement

WildWater wrote: »
    I like her. Cool, calm, friendly and looks lovely. He seems very nervous.

Yes she is confident and attractive. He seems too twitchy and fidgety. Is he a bit like that always you would wonder

Advertisement