Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

omahaid wrote: »
    You have to be some miserable *astard to have issue with a happy baby

Nothing at all wrong with a happy baby, but 10 minutes of screaming is not cute. You cannot expect strangers to be as entralled with your child and it's crying or screaming as you are

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

AryaStark wrote: »
    Or maybe a father enjoying a bit of family time! Bit mad that you think he was showing off... I would say he was enjoying his family!

He can enjoy his family a bit quieter in the restaurant. Are you saying that the only place he could enjoy time with his child in that way is a restaurant. BTW I have two kids, I love when they laugh or scream of excitement, I just don't think they are a god's gift to everyone around too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

And that's great but not at the expense of everyone else. He wants to make his baby shriek, then bring the baby outside/home. My dog knows how to bark when you say "say woof" to him. It's adorable. When we go out in public I don't sit and tell him to say woof constantly because that would make me a condescending self entitled prick

Comparing a dog to a baby?

Also what expense exactly? If it offends your ears so much you don't have to be there.

I've had the misfortune of listening to obnoxious idiots sh1te on in restaurants or laugh like morons but I don't go complaining to management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

What's wrong with what she said?

My mistake, clearly the parent was deliberately making the child scream, as you do. I was taking the common sense approach of assuming he was playing with his child but what was I thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

And that's great but not at the expense of everyone else. He wants to make his baby shriek, then bring the baby outside/home. My dog knows how to bark when you say "say woof" to him. It's adorable. When we go out in public I don't sit and tell him to say woof constantly because that would make me a condescending self entitled prick

Just as well you own a dog and not a child then

• Advertisement

I think some people should get a bit of perspective that little kids should not always be the centre of universe. Nobody was complaining child to a dog just self centered behavior to another type of self centered behavior. It's not that hard to understand the point Lexie was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think some people should get a bit of perspective that little kids should not always be the centre of universe. Nobody was complaining child to a dog just self centered behavior to another type of self centered behavior.

But why is it self centred? I doubt the father was making the child shriek for the hell of it.

If the child was crying people would moan too so you just can't win evidently.

Also what expense exactly? If it offends your ears so much you don't have to be there.

I've had the misfortune of listening to obnoxious idiots sh1te on in restaurants or laugh like morons but I don't go complaining to management.

Hahaha it's parents like this that for years made me not want kids. Then I realised you can actually be a parent without the horrible attitude of "my kid can do what they like and if you don't like it then tough".

If YOUR child is causing a scene, then it's YOUR responsibility to deal with it. Sitting there oblivious to YOUR child screaming and roaring makes YOU a knob. Not everyone else. You seriously expect people who've paid for lunch to get up and leave if they're not mesmerised by your kids tantrums?
    Get a grip

Kids cry, big deal. If a child is constantly crying, and won't stop then it's on you to get up and deal with it like a responsible adult and not put your kids behaviour on everyone else. Being a parent is a responsibility. If your child is very upset, take the child outside. If the child is running around and liable to cause an accident, bring a colouring book and make them sit down. If they're not able to sit down and behave themselves, bring them somewhere that they can run around.

It seems to be some parents attitude that they can bring their child wherever they like, their child can behave whatever way they like, it doesn't matter if everyone else's lunch is ruined, as long as you enjoy yours. Great attitude to have, well done.

etoughguy wrote: »
    Just as well you own a dog and not a child then

When I'm out and about with a child, I am mindful that everyone else is out too and deal with how the child acts accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Yeah i tend to tell the parents of noisy kids to cop on. I didn't spunk in you/your missus and I don't want to deal with the consequences. I don't want my afternoon punctuated with the sound of your screaming brat. Actually had some geebag whinging yesterday because I quietly and politely moved to another table in a place to avoid the sound of little Chantelle screaming.

I plan to open a restaurant and set kids portions at €250 a head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

omahaid wrote: »
    You have to be some miserable *astard to have issue with a happy baby

Some people want a bit of peace and quiet at lunch and not have to listen to a child shrieking (whether it's in delight or not).

I despise people talking loudly on their phones for ages in public as well.A small bit of noise for a minute is understandable if it's going on for a good while it's completely disrespectful to other people.

People shouldn't have to suffer because someone else has a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

But why is it self centred? I doubt the father was making the child shriek for the hell of it.

But that appears to be exactly what he was doing? I don't expect a baby to know any better, but a fully grown adult? Yes, I do expect them to know better and be more considerate of other people in the restaurant.

etoughguy wrote: »
    My mistake, clearly the parent was deliberately making the child scream, as you do. I was taking the common sense approach of assuming he was playing with his child but what was I thinking

Doesn't matter what he was doing. His actions was making the child scream. Doesn't matter if he was playing, or joking, or being serious, the end result was a screaming child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

When the nebby woman is out with her cackling girlfriends having too much wine and making the rafters shake in a nice restaurant where I'm trying to eat a peaceful dinner, is it OK for me to go over and tell them to shut their jackal yaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Speedwell wrote: »
    When the nebby woman is out with her cackling girlfriends having too much wine and making the rafters shake where I'm trying to eat a peaceful dinner, is it OK for me to go over and tell them to shut their jackal yaps?

Yes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

As a parent of two I have to say the father was out of order and deserved to be told off.

Some parents look at their kids with blinkers on and can be completly oblivious that their kid is not the only thing in the world. This father was generating this noise for no reason then his personal happiness at hearing the kid laugh at the expense of the other diners enjoyment of their meals.

This is not the same scenario at all like a crying or noisy kid which I am sympathetic to.

Yep.

"Look at me everyone, I'm an amazing parent!"

I never thought playing peekaboo with a napkin is the only way to entertain a child. Yes sometimes you can't avoid them get loud but usually we managed to entertain them in quieter ways or take them out for a little bit. Lunches with kids are often not that enjoyable for parents because you have to take care of your kid and make sure the others can enjoy their time too. But parenthood doesn't absolve you of responsibility to be mindful of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I think as you get older you tend to not care what others think. I would have kindly told madame to mind ones business or one will be drowning in her spaghetti. Fcuk them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's can be kind of annoying to hear if it's constant but I just tune out. It's just a child.

It's not really any more annoying than ambient restaurant noise like overloud drunk conversation, laughter; talking on phones etc that often is deemed acceptable- often by the very same people that just get worked up at the mere sight of kids in these situations.

Noise happens in social, public places. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

meeeeh wrote: »
    He can enjoy his family a bit quieter in the restaurant. Are you saying that the only place he could enjoy time with his child in that way is a restaurant. BTW I have two kids, I love when they laugh or scream of excitement, I just don't think they are a god's gift to everyone around too

Or you can move to a quite bit of the restaurant .. why should he leave. It is daytime and kids are allowed to be out and make noise ... its life.

What really annoys me when I am out during the day is people in restaurants who are drinking and getting drunk and loud.
    When that happens I Finnish my meal and leave. As it is annoying me I am the one who leaves ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

You've shown your hand. We all know you're one of these people now.

I don't like your baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I would've done the same as the woman, or at least pointed it out to management. Everyone has paid for a service and are entitled to have their meal in peace. If a child is crying then the parent obviously will be embarrassed and try alleviate the situation, but in this case the parent just kept going for 10 mins, ignoring the discomfort that the noise levels would cause other patrons. Baby or no baby, that level of noise for 10 minutes is disrespectful. I'm amazed it took someone that long to say something, to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Why are people so extreme about stuff like this? If it was once or twice you'd be like grand, at least the baby isn't crying. But when it's constant it goes beyond being okay.

I don't expect parents to hide away from society, but bring something to keep the kids relatively quiet. Babbling and gurgling is fine at lunchtime, the odd shriek or wail isn't out of place as long as the parents are at least trying to keep the kids at a level where it doesn't disrupt other people. Once it goes on for a bit then the parents need to accept that not everyone wants to hear the kids - I bet even they aren't charmed all the time - and do something. Bring the kid outside to calm down, leave if you must, but it is rude to do nothing.

In this specific case I wouldn't initially have a problem - once or twice keeping baba happy might prevent a load of wailing - but to be constantly making the baby shriek (even with laughter) WILL disrupt the atmosphere and be annoying for people around you. Knowingly doing that is rude and the issue isn't with the baby, it's with the father's lack of cop on and his rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Or you can move to a quite bit of the restaurant .. why should he leave. It is daytime and kids are allowed to be out and make noise ... its life.

What really annoys me when I am out during the day is people in restaurants who are drinking and getting drunk and loud.
    When that happens I Finnish my meal and leave. As it is annoying me I am the one who leaves ...

They're in a restaurant, with other paying customers. Whether or not they're 'allowed' scream for 10 mins is entirely at the discretion of management.

Nobody asked to leave, just to entertain the child in quieter way . There is a happy medium when no-one has to leave and they can all enjoy their food in reasonable peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

I have to disagree again as a father of eleven children I get the impression that the dad was just looking for an ego boost and to be told off by a sexy lunchtime mohotmama because everybody even his wife hates his frapucchino bloated guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I brought my 7 month old out for lunch yesterday, I actually thought the OP was about me until I read the part about the baby laughing for ten minutes.
    I think there's a line, whether the baby is shrieking in tears or with laughter, you should remove the baby after a few minutes. After ten minutes of laughing hysterically the baby would need to be calmed down.

I can never understand parents who just sit there when their baby is screaming crying, jesus get up off your hole and comfort them!!

In no situation is it ok to encourage a child to be noisy for an extended period of time. If you want to have noisy fun during meals, stay at home.

Where I live, this isn't a thing.. Babies are never brought anywhere. I can't remember the last time I've heard a baby to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

In no situation is it ok to encourage a child to be noisy for an extended period of time. If you want to have noisy fun during meals, stay at home.

Where I live, this isn't a thing.. Babies are never brought anywhere. I can't remember the last time I've heard a baby to be honest.

Well I'd definitely prefer to see babies out and about and being noisy than to not see them out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Similar thing happened to me. But in the US and I was the offending party. Was minding a relatives baby and I had him out in a restaurant at lunch. Was a nice restaurant and was quite expensive. But they provided the baby chairs so all good I thought. There was no crying which was something I was conscious of as it annoys me when on the other end of it. But generally I'm understanding to a point.

Anyways, in between courses I was playing with the kid also hiding behind a napkin. And each time the child would make a noise. It was only when my girlfriend was coming back from the bathroom that she said that the noise sounds very loud and piercing while walking back to the table. So instantly I stopped and tried to entertain the child in a more quiet manner. Which I easily managed to do. People may have been annoyed. But I stopped before any complaints.

My point being, it's easy to get caught up in the moment and be oblivious to noise you are maybe contributing to or encouraging. Especially in a situation like that involving a child. But it's also easy to be considerate and not cop an attitude when called out on it. You the adult. If you got children uiu should know enough about respecting others as I'm sure it's a quality you'd be instilling in your offspring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement