Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Hi guys

Does anyone know if there are any pay benefits or study exemptions for qualified nurses wanting to be paramedics?

Thanks

None of either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Why would a qualified nurse want to be a paramedic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

stringbox wrote:
    Why would a qualified nurse want to be a paramedic?

For the same reason anyone wants to become a paramedic! The rush, the challange, the fact each day is different, being on the front line of emergency care, helping people at the worst time of their life and hopefully helping them through it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Hightower21

At the 2010/2011 recruitment anybody who didn't have their licence in their hand by the closing date was refused entry to the aptitude tests in Dublin.
    They are very strict on this.
    It was heart breaking to see people with their licence turned away from the door.

At the 2010/2011 recruitment anybody who didn't have their licence in their hand by the closing date was refused entry to the aptitude tests in Dublin.
    They are very strict on this.
    It was heart breaking to see people with their licence turned away from the door.

Heard that alright as far as I remember they accepted the certificate in 2013 when I did the tests it was acceptable I had it the licence but almost sure it was acceptable then and it states in the job spec again this time it's definitely States its acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭lonfire1

Is this the first recruitment drive for paramedic that you had to have passed 6 subjects in your leaving cert?

lonfire1 wrote: »
    Is this the first recruitment drive for paramedic that you had to have passed 6 subjects in your leaving cert?

No last 2 at least 2010 &2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

Anybody think the leaving cert requirement is unfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

icv1111 wrote: »
    Anybody think the leaving cert requirement is unfair?

Not at all! Paramedic Science is basically what you are doing so its reasonable to ask that you have a second level science subject as you are basically undertaking a level 7/8 course! Most health courses in a third level institution require 6 passes minimum and a science subject. What is unreasonable however is throwing away good candidates that do not hold a C class licence. As a previous poster mentioned she has a full third level degree in the same area of study but cant get in because she doesn't have a proper driving licence which is really a basic thing to get compared to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Not at all! Paramedic Science is basically what you are doing so its reasonable to ask that you have a second level science subject as you are basically undertaking a level 7/8 course! Most health courses in a third level institution require 6 passes minimum and a science subject. What is unreasonable however is throwing away good candidates that do not hold a C class licence. As a previous poster mentioned she has a full third level degree in the same area of study but cant get in because she doesn't have a proper driving licence which is really a basic thing to get compared to a degree.

We'll true but considering she wouldn't be able to to drive the casualty to a hospital is a slight issue!!

It's like a person applying to be a pilot with an aviation degree but not actually having any flying hours or the required license!

• Advertisement

It's not unreasonable in fairness part of the job is driving the vehicles this requires you to have a C1 licence which is the legal requirement to drive them it has Notting to do with knowledge you have or have not you cannot do the job without it unfortunately
    I agree with you on the leaving by the way

It may sound harsh but the criteria is the same as 3 years ago it wasn't a secret you would need a C1
    I missed out in 2010 I didn't have a C1 also I didn't have a science subject in my leaving so what did I do I printed of the criteria at the time I went of did my EMT did my C1 and I did D1 incase it came back as a requirement then in 2013 I was lucky enough to get it you have to be prepared for these recruitment drives as the don't come up to often and you have very little time to get stuff sorted

sjb25 wrote: »
    It's not unreasonable in fairness part of the job is driving the vehicles this requires you to have a C1 licence which is the legal requirement to drive them it has Notting to do with knowledge you have or have not you cannot do the job without it unfortunately
    I agree with you on the leaving by the way

But how come the NHS can bring trainees on with a D class? And how come the DFB can do it also? All it would take is good management of resources and allowing/sponsoring you to get a C1 during your initial training in conjunction with your blue light course.

But how come the NHS can bring trainees on with a D class? And how come the DFB can do it also? All it would take is good management of resources and allowing/sponsoring you to get a C1 during your initial training in conjunction with your blue light course.

They obviously get the funding for it The NAS do not also a lot of them NHS trusts you still have to pay for it yourself they just give you time
    And like I said in my other post I edited in a bit it was no secret about C1

sjb25 wrote: »
    They obviously get the funding for it The NAS do not

Well that's just a shame!

I'm not going for it myself but I just found it interesting! A lad I went to school with is an advanced paramedic with the London Ambulance Service. One day he was on the way home on the tube when he looked up and seen the advertisement! Applied just out of interest and got it! He never wanted to do it but he just taught why not! He went on to be one of the youngest paramedics to be offered and promoted through the advanced paramedic course!

I love the attitude here that you have to be interested for years to get the job and do all things such as EMT and C class to try and get it! Look fair play to you and you deserve the position for what you have done.

May the best Men and Women win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Because the NAS want you to bear the cost of getting a C1 licence rather than having to train you or risk not passing it.

To be honest it's a pretty obvious cost saving measure that is based on common sense and it's hard to pick holes in the logic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

I just think it's unfair to older candidates who may not have had everything up to scratch compared to a modern leaving cert and how not having a subject in the LC can override having every other requirement plus experience. But I suppose you are right as it is a degree course.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

It is in no way like paramedic science or a level 8 degree. You spend 3 months in a class room including practical and theory, then you go on placements in various areas. How does that compare to a 4 year degree?

It is in no way like paramedic science or a level 8 degree. You spend 3 months in a class room including practical and theory, then you go on placements in various areas. How does that compare to a 4 year degree?

Again since I have lived and worked mosly in the UK I would have thought that their would be a lot more to it than that as all paramedics now do a third level university degree in the UK! I'm surprised that's all their is here to it in the classroom. But I stand by my point that if your coming just with a LC that it should reflect your ability to study in the area of science and study well.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Just read through the criteria, isint it strange that the criteria is lower for DFB (pass level in junior cert is acceptable) and minimum leaving cert in this. Yet more training and diversity in more areas in DFB. Strange that there is no minimum standard across the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buffmeister

Hey, I haven't been able to download the job specification and additional information. Thought I'd saved it on my phone but they must have taken it down when applications closed.

Would anyone have a copy they wouldn't mind sending me please?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hey, I haven't been able to download the job specification and additional information. Thought I'd saved it on my phone but they must have taken it down when applications closed.

Would anyone have a copy they wouldn't mind sending me please?

Thanks

It's too late, applications closed two days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 buffmeister

toadfly wrote: »
    It's too late, applications closed two days ago.

I know, I applied. I just don't have a copy of the additional info and job specification.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I know, I applied. I just don't have a copy of the additional info and job specification.
    Thanks

Oh sorry! I have the job spec but not the additional info, PM me your email address if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Anyone hear anything back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

Anyone hear anything back yet?

Supposed to get emails today but haven't gotten anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Osgood wrote: »
    Supposed to get emails today but haven't gotten anything.

Nothing my end

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dolmun

Anyone heard anything on the upcoming aptitude test? Im living in Australia waiting on a date

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Olivia19_93

Hi guys ....

Anyone heard anything on the aptitude testing today ?? Was so worried when I didn't hear anything yesterday but I see I'm not the only one ...

However the email to make sure details (email and phone) were correct said any changed had to be by 12 yesterday which makes me think they would have needed an extra day before the info on test was sent out ??

Maybe I'm wishful thinking ..... 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Hi guys ....

Anyone heard anything on the aptitude testing today ?? Was so worried when I didn't hear anything yesterday but I see I'm not the only one ...

However the email to make sure details (email and phone) were correct said any changed had to be by 12 yesterday which makes me think they would have needed an extra day before the info on test was sent out ??

Maybe I'm wishful thinking ..... 😒

Was thinking the same myself. Hopefully by close of business today, anyone know if NRS are usually on the ball regarding dates, or do they vary to what has been advertised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Osgood

Was thinking the same myself. Hopefully by close of business today, anyone know if NRS are usually on the ball regarding dates, or do they vary to what has been advertised?

"Apologies for the delay. All successful candidates will be notified later this week." Email received today.

Advertisement