Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Now that we have had two dry days in a row and it looks like its going to rain later today I was going to top dress the wbc. It got a bag/acre of 10-10-20 when sown on the 5th of June. The first two leaves of the linseed is turning yellow in some areas of one plot. Could be to do with all the rain that we have had.
    What would you recommend - CAN, 18-6-12 or 10-10-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

Base price wrote: »
    Now that we have had two dry days in a row and it looks like its going to rain later today I was going to top dress the wbc. It got a bag/acre of 10-10-20 when sown on the 5th of June. The first two leaves of the linseed is turning yellow in some areas of one plot. Could be to do with all the rain that we have had.
    What would you recommend - CAN, 18-6-12 or 10-10-20.

ours didn't do well in general especially the oats how did yours do?

limo_100 wrote: »
    ours didn't do well in general especially the oats how did yours do?
    One of the two plots is flying except for one area near a drain which would be damp and due to all the rain is now wet/squelchy. The other plot got hammered by the crows and about half of it has less oats growing than the other. The linseed is doing well in all areas but be spread about twice as much as required.

One of the two plots is flying except for one area near a drain which would be damp and due to all the rain is now wet/squelchy. The other plot got hammered by the crows and about half of it has less oats growing than the other. The linseed is doing well in all areas but be spread about twice as much as required.

The plot that was attacked by the crows are you worried in case of an inspection?

Some pictures I took yesterday.

• Advertisement

The plot that was attacked by the crows are you worried in case of an inspection?
    No because there is linseed growing there. Crows didn't seem to go after the linseed seeds as much. Reading through the GLAS stuff there doesn't seem to be a problem with the precentage of oats v linseed growing in a plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,177 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Base I'd say go with the 10:10:20. you don't need that high N.
    Muckit, You have to tell the crows that they are eating there own winter feed and would they please refrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

When is the next glas payment due? Will it be with the single farm payment? Can't find info anywhere on when it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Cavanjack wrote: »
    When is the next glas payment due? Will it be with the single farm payment? Can't find info anywhere on when it's due.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/balancing-glas-1-payments-to-issue-in-may-department/

May apparently if you believe what you read. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

djmc wrote: »

Believe half of what you read and nothing that you hear

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Muckit, You have to tell the crows that they are eating there own winter feed and would they please refrain.
    Never got the chance to spread any fert yesterday because it started to rain heavy about hour later. Away today so hopefully it will still stay dry tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Hasn't reached my account yet. Wonder there's no shouting about it yet.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Hasn't reached my account yet. Wonder there's no shouting about it yet.

I would think it's a small payment due only part of a part payment for three months of last year so I would guess around 3 hundred euros if we are lucky
    Hardly worth shouting about.
    We can save our breath until December when the main payment should be made for the 2016 year.

Water John wrote: »
    Eventually got a bag and a half/acre of 18-6-12 spread this afternoon. Local coop had nothing else other than UREA.

Eventually got a bag and a half/acre of 18-6-12 spread this afternoon. Local coop had nothing else other than UREA.

how much is 18-6-12 now in your area 320 in my local co-op

how much is 18-6-12 now in your area 320 in my local co-op
    Only bought 8 bags for the wbc. Haven't used chemical fert on this farm in over 12 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Only bought 8 bags for the wbc. Haven't used chemical fert on this farm in over 12 years.

Interesting...

I assume you use slurry or dung to keep indices in order?
    What about silage ground? Or do you not cut any silage?

I am kinda the opposite in that I'm not able to spread any ding or slurry on my ground, so it's all chemical fert.

But very interested to hear how others do without it... (If I can be so nosey) ;)

Interesting...

I assume you use slurry or dung to keep indices in order?
    What about silage ground? Or do you not cut any silage?

I am kinda the opposite in that I'm not able to spread any ding or slurry on my ground, so it's all chemical fert.

But very interested to hear how others do without it... (If I can be so nosey) ;)
    We don't make silage anymore except for a few round bales if a field gets too strong and the weather doesn't allow for hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

That is a bit of a joke, they dont even have any proof that irish grassland is sequestering carbon which could easily leave our co2/unit of output a lot higher than is made out in these reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Maybe May, maybe June, maybe July, maybe August. Maybe Never

New Minister & new President of the IFA and yet nothing has changed.

Was talking to a beef/tillage farmer that we know from Co. Kildare. He sowed WBC, kale and oats in May and it is his first time in an environmental scheme. He was telling me that he walked through the plot the other day and there were hundreds of butterflies flying about. He also said that there was lots of different small birds in the crop. I suggested that he get himself a pocket bird book so that he can identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Quick question for ye, has everyone received payment for the last three months of last year for tranch one or are some of ye like me still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Quick question for ye, has everyone received payment for the last three months of last year for tranch one or are some of ye like me still waiting.

Have received no payment whatsoever

TMK nobody has been paid anything, open to correction. Ah but give Michael a bit of time. He is still reading his brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Got paid at christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

dodo mommy wrote: »

Like your good self - still waiting here.

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Got paid at christmas

part payment paid around christmas the next part of that part payment should be on the next few days id think
    Its on financial self services side of ag payments now as being due

Advertisement