Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There's only 2 tranches of applicants in the scheme at present. Either the first lot have got money or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Got the 3 month payment for last year back in January,I'm in tranche one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Got first payment of €700 at Christmas. I see another payment of a whopping €85 due in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Water John wrote: »
    Ah but give Michael a bit of time. He is still reading his brief.

sure isn't he on his hols!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Any one had fun putting up the bird / bat boxes into trees?!

You have to leave them tilting a shade forward to let water drain out of them? It's a balls to find a tree that is naturally lending itself to being out a but more at top than bottom and flat in between!

Need to get longer screws and maybe drilled bits if water pipe of different thickness to act as spacers !

• Advertisement

Was very happy with the response of the WBC to the top dressing that we applied last month. I noticed at the time that some areas of the oats were yellow in colour and I presumed that the fert would sort them out. It didn't.
    Over the past few weeks since fertlising the oat plants in those areas died out. I phoned a tillage friend in NCD for his opinion and after seeing the photo's and the fact that the ground was in grassland prior to planting he reckoned it was due to leatherjackets (crane fly/daddy long leg grubs). I got the gardening trowel out, dug into the soil and sure enough they are there. When they hatch I suppose they will provide food for birds and bats.
    For some reason I have a belief in my head that I need to grow this crop of WBC for the birdies to survive over Winter.
    DOH, I now realise after chatting to our beef/tillage friend in Kildare last week (with his butterflies) and my NCD tillage friend that WBC is as relevant to our wild birds today as it will be in the Winter. The GLAS literature never explained that properly.
    The last pic is the plot where the crows robbed a lot of the seed. The left hand side has good growth of linseed but not much oats. Since that photo was taken most of the oat seedling seen in the photo are gone due to leatherjackets.

sonnybill wrote: »
    Any one had fun putting up the bird / bat boxes into trees?!

You have to leave them tilting a shade forward to let water drain out of them? It's a balls to find a tree that is naturally lending itself to being out a but more at top than bottom and flat in between!

Need to get longer screws and maybe drilled bits if water pipe of different thickness to act as spacers !
    Lucky enough to have two suitable straight trees to put the bat boxes on.
    You can put more that 3 bat boxes per tree. The requirements state "at least" 3 bat boxes per tree/pole. We put 5 on one tree and 4 on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ormondeboy3

How has your mustard seed/oats been progressing? Mine grew to 6 or 7 feet (mustard seed) with plenty of flower but the wind yesterday levelled a good half of it. Bent over but not broken will it still mature?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Maybe been on here before but how strict are inspectors or how strictly are you enforcing the 1.5 meter rule for fencing along a river? No problem in general but if part of river bank has given way do you follow it even though it looks stupid? May be only 1 - 1.2 meters from river bank and posts either side could be 2 or more meters IYKWIM? Don't want fence looking like an accordian either..
    Edited to add that this would only be in one or two places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

We spaced the fenceposts to make sure that they were 1.5 metres from the back. The bank may be closer to the fence than 1.5metres between the posts but not by much if anything iykwim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

GLAS 2 record sheets on way out to us, GLAS 1 lads got balance payment for last 3 months of 2015 issued this week

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

sonnybill wrote: »
    GLAS 2 record sheets on way out to us, GLAS 1 lads got balance payment for last 3 months of 2015 issued this week

I assume their sending out the Spec with the records yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

A neighbour was to put up my bat boxes and I checked today and he used bird boxes by mistake.There is 15 of them up now and I was wondering could I amend my plan or do I have to go and put up the bat boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

How many bird boxes van you put on each tree

How many bat boxes can you put on each tree

How many bee boxes can you put on each tree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

1 bird box per tree/post.
    3 bats boxes facing in different directions on each tree.
    1 bee box per tree/post.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

Muckit wrote: »
    1 bird box per tree/post.
    3 bats boxes facing in different directions on each tree.
    1 bee box per tree/post.

at LEAST 3 bat boxes per tree or post

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

milligan2 wrote: »
    A neighbour was to put up my bat boxes and I checked today and he used bird boxes by mistake.There is 15 of them up now and I was wondering could I amend my plan or do I have to go and put up the bat boxes?

You can't ammend, if you want to leave boxes in your plan you will have put up the bat boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Tomjim wrote: »
    How many bird boxes van you put on each tree

How many bat boxes can you put on each tree

How many bee boxes can you put on each tree

One of each, it is in the spec... I heard a lad was rejected for but on 3..
    Also north to North East facing..

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Between 11 and 15 deer in my wbc tonight..... cheeky buggers..... not impressed!!!

I am in tranche 1 and still haven't received a penny for the few months of 2015 despite numerous phonecalls. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭nilhg

Muckit wrote: »
    I am in tranche 1 and still haven't received a penny for the few months of 2015 despite numerous phonecalls. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yep, exactly the same here, year one will be finished on 30 sept and not a penny paid yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Muckit wrote:

Ya I'm in the same boat, very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

In tranche 1 as well have ppl any idea Wem payments will be made in got 600 last dec

lab man wrote: »
    In tranche 1 as well have ppl any idea Wem payments will be made in got 600 last dec

We're saying that we haven't even got that first payment! So you're not doing too bad!

The automated message on glas phoneline says 2016 payments won't commence until end of the year, l reckon will be Jan at least.

Wat a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

In tranche 1 here too. Not a penny got yet. Did anyone expect anything else. The SFP is always the same and it is all due to chronic under staffing in the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Joke is right.why do we put up with it?cause they have us where they want us.producing food and selling at discounted prices.sure uz,s ill b grand lads.they cheque is in the post they tell us.but not before all the other horse ****e is dotted an crossed.and more dic tat today in the post.don,t do this.do that. etc etc. Cap in hand is wat we have for ourselves

Twould make u think if farage was on the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Heard GLAS 3 is open / opening.
    Does it close at the same time as GLAS 1, or will it also be for 5 years?
    Also would anyone know where I could get details, dafm had only for GLAS 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭50HX

Farrell wrote: »
    Heard GLAS 3 is open / opening.
    Does it close at the same time as GLAS 1, or will it also be for 5 years?
    Also would anyone know where I could get details, dafm had only for GLAS 2

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/glas-to-open-again-in-mid-october/

your local advisor would be the first stop

it will be interesting to see what changes there will be from glas 1+2

Advertisement