Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I said wrote: »
    No point here not used since they were put up last year will take a year for them to get used to it.
    Have a effing buzzard around the place so all wildlife is scarce with the top predator/scavenger ruling the roost.

3 of buzzards around here but there's loads of small birds. Plenty of crows and naggers too though.

Baseprice, I'd like to point out the word recommended in that. I don't plan on getting back up on a ladder anytime soon, not such a big fan of working on ladders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How much do Teagasc charge for doing soil samples for Glas plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

How much do Teagasc charge for doing soil samples for Glas plan?

€25 per sample (sample covers 5-8 Ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

€25 per sample (sample covers 5-8 Ha)

Thanks,does that include getting the samples analysed as well or is that extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH and I walked through the WBC the other day and to say its in a sorry state is an understatement. There is no way we will be able to power harrow it this year to set the new seeds. We reckon that we either need to plough again or spray both areas with Roundup.
    TBH I'm sorry that we choose WBC as part of our GLAS plan. The reason that we chose WBC was because I thought that by doing so we would enhance the biodiversity of our farm. Not much biodiversity if ye have to plough the emerging undergrowth or spray same let alone the costs of doing same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Sami23

Base price wrote: »
    OH and I walked through the WBC the other day and to say its in a sorry state is an understatement. There is no way we will be able to power harrow it this year to set the new seeds. We reckon that we either need to plough again or spray both areas with Roundup.
    TBH I'm sorry that we choose WBC as part of our GLAS plan. The reason that we chose WBC was because I thought that by doing so we would enhance the biodiversity of our farm. Not much biodiversity if ye have to plough the emerging undergrowth or spray same let alone the costs of doing same.

What did ye sow ? I'm asking as I've applied for Glas 3 and have included WBC in the plan too.
    Just wondering which of the seed options to sow will be the easiest to till the following year iykwim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Is it the amount of trash after the WBC that's left, or just weeds?

Was someone saying they were going to put cattle into theirs for a while, to trample in what was there as much as anything else?

Any chance of a few pics Base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Was someone saying they were going to put cattle into theirs for a while, to trample in what was there as much as anything else?

Saw that on Countryfile (BBC, Sunday evening). they are allowed to clean up their patch in the spring, so let in cattle to eat and tramp. Aren't we in Ireland allowed to do that? I don't do WBC so am not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Sami23

KatyMac wrote: »

Saw that on Countryfile (BBC, Sunday evening). they are allowed to clean up their patch in the spring, so let in cattle to eat and tramp. Aren't we in Ireland allowed to do that? I don't do WBC so am not 100% sure.

Yes we are allowed let stock in from 15th March to sowing time unless you have the two year mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ours is a sorry state too, think ye planted the same as us? Linseed & oats?
    It'll get a run of the mulcher (whoohoo!) and then we'll harrow it, if we hadn't the mulcher we'd prob let a gang of heifers in to trample the shíte out of it for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Thanks,does that include getting the samples analysed as well or is that extra?

The €25 gets you a printout that gives your P & K level, pH level and what lime it needs.

They will go trough it with you if you want. Most other places are half the price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Any rats in it?
    There's a ha of wbc 200m from the house here and it's overrun with rats.
    In fact it's fascinating to see the road network they have created through the crop.

Both, weeds and straw/linseed stems.
    I will take some pics later.

Any rats in it?
    There's a ha of wbc 200m from the house here and it's overrun with rats.
    In fact it's fascinating to see the road network they have created through the crop.
    I haven't noticed any rats but having said that I would not be walking through it much. A friend planted wbc near his yard last year and he says he was overrun with rats about the yard. Rats are an unwelcome downside of wbc :mad:

408878.jpg

408879.jpg

Pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Pics

That's rougher than I was expecting - somehow I would have thought the stalks wouldn't be as bad...

Nice bit of grass coming through, but I would have expected that...

Hard to know what to do all right, but it wont get any better between now and mid April either... :(

I'll have the same problems in time with my WBC I'm sure.. I wonder will that ground need a lot of lime now I wonder, with all that trash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

Pics

What knocked mine is still standing but it has no grass coming up at all and i didnt spray it off either. I will say mine is not as dense as yours in the second picture did you put in extra seed?

limo_100 wrote: »
    What knocked mine is still standing but it has no grass coming up at all and i didnt spray it off either. I will say mine is not as dense as yours in the second picture did you put in extra seed?
    I don't know what knocked it as it is only down in places. I presume wood pigeons/crows did it as you sometimes see knocked patches in tillage. We sowed 75kgs of linseed in 3ha. From memory the recommendation was 15kg/ha if direct drilling and you add a third if broadcasting so we only needed to have sowed 60kgs but we bought 3x25kg bags.

I don't know what knocked it as it is only down in places. I presume wood pigeons/crows did it as you sometimes see knocked patches in tillage. We sowed 75kgs of linseed in 3ha. From memory the recommendation was 15kg/ha if direct drilling and you add a third if broadcasting so we only needed to have sowed 60kgs but we bought 3x25kg bags.

I dont think anyone is that happy this year with the wbc but it will be better next year the contractor told me he didnt no what he was but it will be improved next year. Im glad i did it, it was good to do something different. Theres something that Iv being wondering when the scheme is over and we put back in grass seed will we be allowed to put it in for hay meadow or permanent pasture? Id be hoping to do up this ground

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you give it four or five runs of a set of disk harrows now, would they chop it down enough to allow you broadcast seed later?
    Even if it needed another disking at seeding time?

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you give it four or five runs of a set of disk harrows now, would they chop it down enough to allow you broadcast seed later?
    Even if it needed another disking at seeding time?
    Nek, in fairness where the hell would one find a disc harrow around here in Longford/Cavan - it ain't tillage land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

need to plant 170 metres of hedging, anyone know where best value in plants is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Jesus there very expensive just for bird cover would your contractor not have a disc harrow? would A power not do rightly?

Im just gona top mine and let the contractor do what he wants with it I might spray it for him if he wants it sprayer

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    A bit expensive for what I want. Only 4 more years left in the scheme. I think I will rely on the destructive powers of a heap of yearling locked into it 😊

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Dozer1 wrote: »
    need to plant 170 metres of hedging, anyone know where best value in plants is

I can't recommend anyone your end of the country but I will say this. The cheapest mightn't be the best value. Get some local so you can get a look at them. They should look nice and healthy with a good bushy root system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Grueller

I can't recommend anyone your end of the country but I will say this. The cheapest mightn't be the best value. Get some local so you can get a look at them. They should look nice and healthy with a good bushy root system.

+1. I have used 2 local suppliers over the years cheaper suppliers plants take two years to start to thrive while the dearer ones go straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

nonesohardy in wicklow will courier the trees once the value is over €250

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

I'm obviously a bit stupid.......
    i thought on entering GLAS 2 at the start there was a once off payment to the planner i.e. Teagasc of €450ish once accepted into the scheme.
    But now i have to hand over another €430 ish for my Nutrient Managemnet Plan this year.
    Is this the case?

I probably shouldn't be questioning this but i'm just looking or peoples experience and opinions.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

I'm obviously a bit stupid....... i thought on entering GLAS 2 at the start there was a once off payment to the planner i.e. Teagasc of €450ish once accepted into the scheme. But now i have to hand over another €430 ish for my Nutrient Managemnet Plan this year. Is this the case?

Yes that's correct and then you'll be waiting about 2 years to get anything back

Advertisement