Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Base price wrote: »
    Eventually got both areas sown, harrowed (yesterday) and fertilised and rolled today. I was driving out with the roller from the last area this afternoon when the rain arrived. A neighbour was supposed to broadcast the seed for us but couldn't due to a relatives death and gave us a loan of his wagtail. No problems with the oats but the linseed was difficult. We didn't use a carrier and set the wagtail at the setting that he told us. I could hardly see a blue seed anywhere so we upped the settings. We used 75Kgs in just over 2 hectares :eek:
    Crows & Jackdaws are a problem and we were up this morning with the shotguns. Seems perverse that one is attempting to scare away crows in order for the seed to grow for "wild birds"!!

Great looking soil there base. I'd say it will be a great crop for the birds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

sea12 wrote: »
    Great looking soil there base. I'd say it will be a great crop for the birds
    + brilliant hedgerows for threatened yellowhammers. Will make a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Water John wrote: »
    djmc, that's sounds like a grudge against crows. Is it only your bales are attacked or have they just got a mean streak against humans in general?

Not at all I actually like all wildlife
    Some are able to adjust to change and thrive better than others.
    I just keep animal feed locked away as best I can.
    Don't know why they tear bales but it's not just mine.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=feck+off+crows&rlz=1Y3KTZR_enIE561IE561&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjumtPuuJPNAhViDcAKHfYvCyoQ_AUIBygB&biw=1280&bih=800#imgrc=-Vq6SCNkumHbFM%3A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Can ya cut silage of low input pastures after 15th of July the fcuking place is gone mad with grass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Same as that but the official answer is no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

I said wrote: »
    Can ya cut silage of low input pastures after 15th of July the fcuking place is gone mad with grass

topped but not mowed for silage

same boat here

think the setting on the bar dropped a little bit too low yestarday by mistake;)

try to keep to the rules as best as i can but with grass mad have to do something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

I said wrote: »
    i know where you'd get a few nice stores to control that grass growth for ya:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

High bike wrote: »
    i know where you'd get a few nice stores to control that grass growth for ya:rolleyes:

Yer alright sir might go back to set stocking for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Just about to sow oats and mustard for the wbc. What fertiliser if any did you put out? Wasn't going to put any on it but speaking to contractor, thinking of putting a bag of 10 10 20 to the acre here now.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Just about to sow oats and mustard for the wbc. What fertiliser if any did you put out? Wasn't going to put any on it but speaking to contractor, thinking of putting a bag of 10 10 20 to the acre here now.
    I put 10-10-20 at 100kg/Acre on my Triticale/mustard/kale at planting (May 6th). Gave it a shake of 10-10-20 at weekend as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We put a bag of 10-10-20 to the acre - oats and linseed on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭limo_100

I put 10-10-20 at 100kg/Acre on my Triticale/mustard/kale at planting (May 6th). Gave it a shake of 10-10-20 at weekend as well

yours is a month planted how did it do for you? Ours is planted two weeks this friday linseed and oats, theres no sign of the oats but the place in covered in linseed put out no fertilizer yet was told I'd crush the seed

limo_100 wrote: »
    yours is a month planted how did it do for you? Ours is planted two weeks this friday linseed and oats, theres no sign of the oats but the place in covered in linseed put out no fertilizer yet was told I'd crush the seed
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99938300&postcount=147
    Photo in link. It was dry when I planted, good load of rain the next day and sunny ever since. Growing well. I spread by seed fiddle and contractor spread fertiliser when he was doing hay meadows.
    How will fertiser crush the seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume they mean the wheels of the tractor. I would always be hesitant of driving on any crop after sprouting, until the true leaves are established.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Wasn't going to put any on it but speaking to contractor, thinking of putting a bag of 10 10 20 to the acre here now.

Why are you putting fert out? What did contractor say? I wasn't going to bother with fert at all to save a few bob.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Why are you putting fert out? What did contractor say? I wasn't going to bother with fert at all to save a few bob.
    better seed crop for wild birds!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

jimmy G M wrote: »

I wasn't going to put any out as well, but my planner and contractor said the ground might need some and I reluctantly got half a ton of 10 10 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Did anyone get the glas part payment that was due in may for the last three months of last year?

No l didn't. So I rang glas and they said next payment going out this month and 'should' get it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

I'm going sowing oats and linseed today or tomorrow. Going using a wagtail spreader. Never seeded anything before so fingers crossed!! My question is to you who have experience in doing this is.... Do i have to mix the oats with fertilizer or can i spread it on its own?. I know i need to mix linseed with fert because the seed is so small. Can i use replenish fert or does it have to be 10.10.20?

• Advertisement

nealger wrote: »
    I'm going sowing oats and linseed today or tomorrow. Going using a wagtail spreader. Never seeded anything before so fingers crossed!! My question is to you who have experience in doing this is.... Do i have to mix the oats with fertilizer or can i spread it on its own?. I know i need to mix linseed with fert because the seed is so small. Can i use replenish fert or does it have to be 10.10.20?

we got our seed spread with the contractor he spread the oats first then closed it up and spread the linseed didn't mix any of it with fertilizer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

nealger wrote: »

You can spread away with the oats without any fertiliser mixed in.

I generally mix a bag of fert in with smaller type seeds such as linseed etc. Mix enough to do an acre in with a bag of manure and off you go. If not sure of settings etc, put in a bag of manure and practice on an acre of grass till you are happy with settings. driving width, speed etc. When you get confident you can do enough for 2/3 acres at a time. Write down the settings so you have them for next year.

Replenish should be fine for mixing if 10.10.20 not available.

https://woodlandantics.wordpress.com/tag/hay-making/

Nice article on haymaking in England.

Muckit wrote: »

Are you doing the hay meadows?

limo_100 wrote: »
    Are you doing the hay meadows?

No I'm not. If we got summer weather like this consistently for the next 5 years l would!

I put in for LIPP. A pity that this ground can't be cut for traditional hay meadow even after July 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

jasus with a crew like that for baling he should be headin to the bog as well with em:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭High bike

Just wondering did anyone have any glas inspections yet?

Yes. Had one at the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,164 ✭✭✭✭Base price

No I'm not. If we got summer weather like this consistently for the next 5 years l would!

I put in for LIPP. A pity that this ground can't be cut for traditional hay meadow even after July 15th.
    Oh how I wish they would allow it. One field is way too strong for the older calves and the last of the bulls were sold a couple of weeks ago so no big mouths to eat it. The grass growth here is way ahead of normal years due to the weather.

• Advertisement

They they look at LIPP?

Yes walked every bit of it. Went through all my measures. Got a call on lunchtime and he was out the next morning.

Advertisement