Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Have a plot in for the traditional hay meadow which was cut mid July
    Can I take silage from it now?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't see why not. I don't think it says you must graze it for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Have a plot in for the traditional hay meadow which was cut mid July
    Can I take silage from it now?
    Thanks

You can take bailed silage off it as long as it's in line with what's required in the spec

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Third week in October 75% to be paid was that a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I got my 3months 2015 payment! Wahoooo! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,375 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Qprmeath wrote: »
    Third week in October 75% to be paid was that a joke?

Normally only 50% and even that is an advance payment in reality. You want a few bob for Christmas anyway this way it will not be spend.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

WP_20161031_09_33_22_Pro.jpgfree photo hosting
    Wild Bird Cover looking well. A flock of linnets feeding on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

We've a cock pheasant and three hens in ours. Watching them get at the heads of oats is gas! No shooting allowed in it either and if I catch anyone on it woe be-fecking-tide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

We've a cock pheasant and three hens in ours. Watching them get at the heads of oats is gas! No shooting allowed in it either and if I catch anyone on it woe be-fecking-tide them.
    Speaking of, allot of pheasants about & they're very tame, you'd nearly hit them with the car

Farrell wrote: »
    Speaking of, allot of pheasants about & they're very tame, you'd nearly hit them with the car

Feck all here but we're overrun with pine martins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Farrell wrote: »

Probably released birds, not wild birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Looking at going into GLAS 3 maybe... trying to work out what the big costs might be...

Wondering if anyone could tell me

- what the prices is for planner both for initial plan and ongoing annual fee
    - how much this wild bird cover costs to put in?

Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hatecrime

when is the money coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looking at going into GLAS 3 maybe... trying to work out what the big costs might be...

Wondering if anyone could tell me

- what the prices is for planner both for initial plan and ongoing annual fee
    - how much this wild bird cover costs to put in?

Thanks...
    Reading other threads in the past planners are costing between €150 to €350. Our planner charged us €150 for the initial plan/application and €50 for soil sampling. We had to pay the lab (from memory) €120/€130 to get 11/12 samples tested. Our planner also does our SFP.
    WBC is a different kettle of fish. Firstly I think it depends on soil type, whether you are getting it ploughed or sprayed off or both if in grass. What equipment you have to reduce costs - plough, harrows, rotavators, spinners, seed drill etc.
    We planted 2 areas with WBC. One was fine but on the other we hit stone in part of it when ploughing and ended up drawing topsoil the we had on site to the area. It was an additional cost that we didn't envisage but we reckoned we needed to do it in order for the seed (oat & linseed) to strike and grow.
    The downside was that we could not change that area/parcel after our application was accepted. I would have been easier to move to another part of the farm but that was not an option.

I have kept detailed records of all purchases including contractor costs (ploughing & power harrowing) for GLAS. When I get a chance (in time) and back in Longford I will post them on here.
    If you have a field that is equal or nearly equal to the area the you wish to plant with WBC then that is the way to go. It is easier to close the gate than buy posts and wire.
    We made that mistake by choosing two different plots which to be honest was my fault as I selected the two areas as I thought it would be more beneficial for biodiversity on our farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Slurry form filled out and posted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Sami23

I said wrote: »
    Slurry form filled out and posted

Am I reading the spec. wrong or is there very little money out of this action (Low Emission Slurry Spreading).
    The way I'm reading it is there's only approx. 100 euro for a 2 bay tank per year or am I wrong (1.20 per cubic meter) ?

Was thinking of taking this action for Glas 3 but not so sure now as would also have to change contractors.

It's not a money spinner but it should cover the extra charge to put it out with dribble bar over splashplate.
    I asked my lad was he getting dribble bar. He had a choice. I had a choice. I wanted to do low emission slurry measure.
    He wasn't getting one so l reluctantly changed contractor.

He didn't ask me when he was going changing from a 2600 to a heavier 3500gal tanker.

Sami23 wrote: »
    Am I reading the spec. wrong or is there very little money out of this action (Low Emission Slurry Spreading).
    The way I'm reading it is there's only approx. 100 euro for a 2 bay tank per year or am I wrong (1.20 per cubic meter) ?

Was thinking of taking this action for Glas 3 but not so sure now as would also have to change contractors.

If it's in your plan put it in you get paid for what and were you put out.
    Basically once it's in the plan it's what has to be used.
    Contractor has the dribble bar on the reel doesn't be long emptying the tank and less harm to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

Did anyone get a payment today for balance of 2015 glas 1. I think that's what came in last night. Nothing on ag food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Sami23

If it's in your plan put it in you get paid for what and were you put out.
    Basically once it's in the plan it's what has to be used.
    Contractor has the dribble bar on the reel doesn't be long emptying the tank and less harm to the ground.

O I'm definately gonna put it into plan as it will get me into Tier 2(b) as I understand it.
    Say if I have to empty my tanks twice during the year will I get paid twice or only once from Glas under this action.
    Also you said "you get paid for where you put out", is this extra to the 1.20 per cubic meter ?

O I'm definately gonna put it into plan as it will get me into Tier 2(b) as I understand it.
    Say if I have to empty my tanks twice during the year will I get paid twice or only once from Glas under this action.
    Also you said "you get paid for where you put out", is this extra to the 1.20 per cubic meter ?
    You mark what parcel you put it out on the form.
    According to my Glas planner the days of the splash plate are numbered,and once you state that option basically the whole farm is covered not just the lipp area.

This could be a silly question, but should we be getting a physical plan (NMP) into our hands from our planner? I know the planner submits all online on our behalf, but do we then need to get something back to know what fertiliser/lime etc has to be spread? Or does this come out from department or is it available on agfood?

Also re the NMPs, did most people sample themselves or did planner do it?
    And finally, what did NMP cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Muckit wrote: »
    This could be a silly question, but should we be getting a physical plan (NMP) into our hands from our planner? I know the planner submits all online on our behalf, but do we then need to get something back to know what fertiliser/lime etc has to be spread? Or does this come out from department or is it available on agfood?

Also re the NMPs, did most people sample themselves or did planner do it?
    And finally, what did NMP cost?

Yes your planner can print and give you a hard copy. Planner is probably best to do the sampling as well. NMP costs vary depending on planner - anything around €300 seems to be reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

we paid for the soil samples and got the nmp printed out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭older by the day

Hi there, I joined Glas in Aug 15, through Teagasc who did it through the Farm Relief Service, I had a priority river flowing through my land and I got the confirmation to proceed soon after. I heard nothing till I rang this week and found out I planted the trees and hedgerow in a plot that was a habitat in reps 3 so they won't pay, could they not have told me this before I spent my money and time. Teagasc and the Department made the mistake, but its the stupid farmer has to pay

For any of ye that have bird boxes included in your GLAS plans February is a very important month.
    "Recommendations. It is recommended that old nest material is cleaned out annually to prevent carryover of parasites from one nesting season to the next, ideally in February".
    Don't forget to record same on your 2017 record sheets and one wouldn't go astray if ye had a date/time pic of ye on the ladder cleaning out the bird boxes.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1Spec161015.pdf

Base price wrote: »
    For any of ye that have bird boxes included in your GLAS plans February is a very important month.
    "Recommendations. It is recommended that old nest material is cleaned out annually to prevent carryover of parasites from one nesting season to the next, ideally in February".
    Don't forget to record same on your 2017 record sheets and one wouldn't go astray if ye had a date/time pic of ye on the ladder cleaning out the bird boxes.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/glastranche1/GLASTranche1Spec161015.pdf

No point here not used since they were put up last year will take a year for them to get used to it.
    Have a effing buzzard around the place so all wildlife is scarce with the top predator/scavenger ruling the roost.

No point here not used since they were put up last year will take a year for them to get used to it.
    Have a effing buzzard around the place so all wildlife is scarce with the top predator/scavenger ruling the roost.

Ah it's fantastic to see the buzzards around though, they were so scare a few years back. Their cries carry for miles on a windy day, first time I heard them I thought something was injured and calling out so away went me on a trek across fields for ages :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I'll rush up to clean them the second they pay me...honest I will:D

Advertisement