Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

So....there were around 7 flights to the US 2 hours before and up to 1130 when i am flying out - i guess that's a lot of people to get through customs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hi all,
    I can get to the Business Class Lounge (Aer Lingus... think it's the only one?) in my head no problem, but I need instructions for my father... can anyone assist?

After Security, I know you take a right... you walk down a bit, take a left and almost come back around on yourself, then take a right, down the escalator.

At the bottom of the escalator (I think there's a sign overhead?) you again turn back on yourself, walking behind the escalator and the lounge is in that area.

Can anyone improve on that? Thanks all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Follow the signs for Gates 401-426.
    When you leave the shopping area, take the lift down to the gate level and follow the signs for Airline Lounges.

If he's travelling to the US, it's a different lounge, after US Preclearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

As you've specified T1 (your own directions sound like T2), all your Father does after passing through security is go left, walk down the ramp and into a long corridor with a travelator. EI lounge is on the right.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    As you've specified T1 (your own directions sound like T2), all your Father does after passing through security is go left, walk down the ramp and into a long corridor with a travelator. EI lounge is on the right.

D'OH!!

Of course I meant T2 (Aer Lingus), thanks for spotting that.

I'm guessing your directions are for T1? T2 you take a right after security?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

JohnCleary wrote: »
    D'OH!!

Of course I meant T2 (Aer Lingus), thanks for spotting that.

I'm guessing your directions are for T1? T2 you take a right after security?

The terminals are connected airside, so you can enter via security in T1 or T2. As you say, in T2 pass through security & move around to the right. Then left to the lifts. Go down 1 level and follow signs to airline lounges.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The terminals are connected airside, so you can enter via security in T1 or T2. As you say, in T2 pass through security & move around to the right. Then left to the lifts. Go down 1 level and follow signs to airline lounges.

Thanks.

Yeah, aware they're conencted.... but i'll be sending the oul' lad through T2.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Since Aer Lingus only do business class on US/Canada the lounge setup is different

If travelling to the US
    Follow the US pre clearance signs
    E.g. https://goo.gl/maps/JmzR4rWqqocE1Hyo6
    Go down the escalator and then another escalator
    Do pre clearance
    Walk to the very end of the gate area to the 51st and Green

If travelling to Canada (direct not via US)
    Follow signs for gates 400-426
    When you leave the shopping area there are 3 lifts
    Take the lift down to departures
    Exit lift follow signs to the lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You don't have to be flying business class to access the main Aer Lingus Lounge. You can do so by status on other EI flights.

Since Aer Lingus only do business class on US/Canada the lounge setup is different

If travelling to the US
    Follow the US pre clearance signs
    Go down the escalator and then another escalator
    Do pre clearance
    Walk to the very end of the gate area to the 51st and Green

If travelling to Canada (direct not via US)
    Follow signs for gates 400-426
    When you leave the shopping area there are 3 lifts
    Take the lift down to departures
    Exit lift follow signs to the lounge

Thanks a million for this, exactly what I was looking for. Fair play to ya!

He's going to Canada, so the normal Aer Lingus lounge. Have been there a few times... nothing amazing but I like the self service drink :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Broken my wrist at Christmas will I have any problem with security in the airport I have few metal pins (going to Birmingham)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

I'd imagine once you can lie totally still as they put you through the luggage scanner you'll be ok :D

Seriously though, this will be a regular enough occurrence, so if you have a hospital or doctors note clearly explaining the condition I couldn't imagine it being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, that note from your doctor or hospital (as mentioned by the previous poster) will probably be required by the airline to state that you're ok to fly - you might get past security with or without a note from a doctor but the airline could turn you away without it. The air pressure in a plane is a lot lower than at sea level, this can cause complications for people with a non-removable cast. Hence they will see a person in a cast and may ask to see a letter from your doctor or the hospital to say you're ok to fly.

Your cast is on your wrist so I'd imagine it won't cause you any problem as that part of your body is mostly bone and you'll be on a short flight to Birmingham but the person at the gate or the cabin crew you meet on boarding may still need to see the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Whocare wrote: »
    Broken my wrist at Christmas will I have any problem with security in the airport I have few metal pins (going to Birmingham)

You’ll Only have a few grams of titanium which won’t show up. Should be grand.

How long has the cast bring on ? Can you get your cast cut before you fly? Likely that your wrist may swell in the flight and can be quite painful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

ted1 wrote: »
    You’ll have i my a few grand if titanium which won’t show up. Should be grand.

How long has the cast bring on ? Can you get your cast cut before you fly? Likely that your wrist may swell in the flight and can be quite painful

Cast is on about 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Whocare wrote: »
    Cast is on about 4 weeks

4 weeks should be grand. No need to cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Apologies if needed for dragging up an old(ish) thread, but didn’t think this was worth starting a new one for. Also, the very fact that it’s old means there’s no recent info on this.

Will be getting a 6.45 a.m. Ryanair flight on Thursday Feb 13th with my wife and six-year-old. Been a long time since I flew at that hour of the morning. Can anybody advise what security queues might be like or how long we need to give ourselves to comfortably make the flight?

Will be parking the red car park. I’m thinking if we arrive there around 5.15 a.m., shuttle bus should get us to the terminal around 5.30, and that should be plenty of time? Or should we go a little earlier?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cmred

you will probably hear a load of replies stating way too late, but i think your bang on time to arrive at 5.30am. And i fly considerably from T1.
    Cant help on the transfer or red car park, but hopefully someone else will be able to assist on transfer times etc

Thanks. As regards the car park, the website says shuttle bus frequency is every 8 minutes and transfer time is 5 minutes, so I'm allowing 15 minutes total for getting from the car to the terminal. But if anybody knows differently, then I'm all ears.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks. As regards the car park, the website says shuttle bus frequency is every 8 minutes and transfer time is 5 minutes, so I'm allowing 15 minutes total for getting from the car to the terminal. But if anybody knows differently, then I'm all ears.....

I'd agree, I've used the shuttle from the Red Car Park for a few very early morning flights, it's very frequent and is only a 5-minute run over.

However that's a very busy time at security - I've never got caught completely rotten to the point where I've nearly missed a flight, but if you wanted to treat yourself to fasttrack for security, that's the time of day it's most worth it IMO.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    if you wanted to treat yourself to fasttrack for security, that's the time of day it's most worth it IMO.

This is actually exactly what I'm wondering about. We'll be driving up from Co. Wexford and getting to the car park around 5.15 a.m. will mean leaving home around 3.30. Wonder if anybody else has an opinion too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

This is actually exactly what I'm wondering about. We'll be driving up from Co. Wexford and getting to the car park around 5.15 a.m. will mean leaving home around 3.30. Wonder if anybody else has an opinion too?

With a 6 year old would you not consider staying at the Carlton the night before and leaving the car there - get their shuttle bus to the airport.

Hi there.

Bit off the point since it’s nothing to do with the best time to arrive at the airport, whether we’re travelling from home or from a nearby hotel.

But to answer your question anyway - we did think briefly about staying in an airport hotel the night before, but really, to be in the terminal around 5.30 a.m. (if that’s time enough?), it would be a choice of:
    a) Stay at home, set the clock for 3.15 a.m., be on the road at 3.30 a.m.,
    or
    b) Book into a hotel, set the clock for around 4.45 a.m., and boot down the stairs around 5 a.m. to get their shuttle bus.

So, we’d be paying for a hotel night for maybe 90 minutes of extra sleep, and little if any other benefit. And the price of the Carlton Hotel (which you suggest) for that night is currently €132. That’s a lot of money to pay for 90 minutes’ kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Hi there.

Bit off the point since it’s nothing to do with the best time to arrive at the airport, whether we’re travelling from home or from a nearby hotel.

But to answer your question anyway - we did think briefly about staying in an airport hotel the night before, but really, to be in the terminal around 5.30 a.m. (if that’s time enough?), it would be a choice of:
    a) Stay at home, set the clock for 3.15 a.m., be on the road at 3.30 a.m.,
    or
    b) Book into a hotel, set the clock for around 4.45 a.m., and boot down the stairs around 5 a.m. to get their shuttle bus.

So, we’d be paying for a hotel night for maybe 90 minutes of extra sleep, and little if any other benefit. And the price of the Carlton Hotel (which you suggest) for that night is currently €132. That’s a lot of money to pay for 90 minutes’ kip.

Slightly off top against but sometimes the hotels do weekend parking included and it can work out OK

Anyway, back to your question, it may depend on your 6 year old and how they move. How many bags etc

If you’re in the airport for 5.30 you should *easily* get through security and get to your gate in an hour. Just know where you’re going and make sure all your documents are ready and there’ll be no unnecessary delays at security etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You haven't factored in time to get around the red car park. Some of the zones are a long way away from the entrance so that extends the time needed. I stopped using that car park because I ended up so far away almost every time.

Personally I would buy fast track, or leave earlier. You haven't allowed any wiggle room for any unexpected issues. I travel at that time 10-15 times a year and would never consider such tight timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I generally plan to arrive in the Red car park 2 hours before the flight, that allows for parking up and getting the shuttle. But if you want to leave it a bit later, at that time of the morning, Fast Track is probably a good investment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You haven't mentioned bags, this could be 20+ mins to sort, even with the self service machines.

If you are cabin bags only and will have printed boarding passes before you leave the house then you should be ok.

(I'd never rely on phone based passes, if your battery goes or you can't get internet / mobile data for whatever reason, you're screwed).

Thanks everybody.

It'll be cabin bags only and pre-printed boarding passes, so no issue there.

Anyway, wife and I decided last night that we may as well do the FastTrack thing. Will try hit the road 10 to 15 minutes earlier too. Should be okay then.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,162 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Steve wrote: »
    (I'd never rely on phone based passes, if your battery goes or you can't get internet / mobile data for whatever reason, you're screwed).

Take a screenshot of your boarding pass and save it to your gallery. You won't need internet data to access it. If more than one, send via whatsapp which can automatically save images to your gallery. And then have gallery as your last opened app so it is always the first thing to open on your phone.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »
    Take a screenshot of your boarding pass and save it to your gallery. You won't need internet data to access it. If more than one, send via whatsapp which can automatically save images to your gallery. And then have gallery as your last opened app so it is always the first thing to open on your phone.

Or just print it like I do. About four times. I keep one in a coat pocket, one in a trouser pocket, one in my small carry-on bag, and one in the larger carry-on bag. Can’t lose them all!!

Advertisement