Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Think both cork an Dublin have water bottles available on a trust system. You just leave a euro or two per bottle you take, can't remember if it's one or two.

It's €1. That's one of my favourite things about Dublin Airport. I've been to plenty of airports where it's impossible to get a bottle of water for less than €3. UK airports are usually fairly good for reasonably priced water too, but they're still not that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

We are flying with Ryanair with our 2-year old. We normally bring her buggy with us as it's free to check-in with Ryanair anyway. However, since we're flying to a ski resort I don't know if there's going to be much use for it once we get there.

I don't think she will want to walk the whole distance in the airport and we'll end up having to carry her as well as our hand-luggage.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on best way to get from security to the far-flung Ryanair gates? They have stopped the trial of the complimentary pushchairs in 2016 unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Stick her on your shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gatica wrote: »
    We are flying with Ryanair with our 2-year old. We normally bring her buggy with us as it's free to check-in with Ryanair anyway. However, since we're flying to a ski resort I don't know if there's going to be much use for it once we get there.

I don't think she will want to walk the whole distance in the airport and we'll end up having to carry her as well as our hand-luggage.

Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on best way to get from security to the far-flung Ryanair gates? They have stopped the trial of the complimentary pushchairs in 2016 unfortunately.

Could you ask for a luggage trolly to put your luggage and little girl on ?

We are going skiing with our 2-year old (first trip of this kind with a toddler) in Austria. We normally bring her buggy with us when travelling as she wouldn't walk far herself.However, since we're going to a ski resort I don't know if there's going to be much use for it once we get there.

We're staying in a hotel in town, which is a few mins walk from the ski-lifts.

I am not sure whether to just bring the buggy so we can make it through the airport, or would it be any use to us in Austria too.

What have others done about buggies and toddlers in snowy conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Brought one and struggled. Ended up borrowing a backpack kiddie carrier which is awkward but much more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

What about a trunki? Our little one has had one since she was 2 because she refused to use a buggy. We did end up carrying the trunki for a bit but it was very handy to sit her on. We have used it for numerous holidays over the last 3 years but think we may be upgrading to a “ proper” suitcase this year :)

great idea! She'd love the novelty of sitting on a little suitcase. Failing that will have a look for a trolley.
    She's getting a bit heavy for carrying on shoulders for long distance unfortunately... that's reserved for Paddy's day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Get a baby carrier. They are incredibly handy around shops or airports. Kids tend to fall asleep in them too. Having your hands free to handle passports etc is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d bring the buggy, you may regret not having it over there even if it’s just for them to doze in whilst your having dinner. If you have a delayed flight either way you’ll be glad of it too.

• Advertisement

She has stopped napping about a month ago, so we don't get daytime rest unless she's in the car :(
    We use the carrier for shorter distances, don't know how much work it would be for the Ryanair terminal distance though. It's a fair bit, plus the standing around at different checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

She has stopped napping about a month ago, so we don't get daytime rest unless she's in the car :(
    We use the carrier for shorter distances, don't know how much work it would be for the Ryanair terminal distance though. It's a fair bit, plus the standing around at different checks.

If you have her out in the snow playing I’d say there is a good chance of naps coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

great idea! She'd love the novelty of sitting on a little suitcase. Failing that will have a look for a trolley.
    She's getting a bit heavy for carrying on shoulders for long distance unfortunately... that's reserved for Paddy's day :)

Bear in mind it didn’t eliminate the carrying completely but was easier to manage her with a trunki over a buggy....I still get serious envy when I see people pushing contented toddlers around in their buggy’s. I never had that luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Any codes floating about? Would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭reps4

Hi.

Normally only have hand luggage but need a bag this time... is this facility in Dublin?

If not, what are the average q time for bag cheek in. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

You can tag & drop your own bag with Ryanair, if that's what you mean by express bag drop. Last time we used it, in July last year, there was little or no queue.

You use the touchscreen kiosks/stands to print your tag. Pop it on your bag & then scan your bag onto one of the belts beside whats are/used to be the check-in desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Are any of the dublin airport lounges open at 3 or 4am?

Do you have to be flying to the us to book lounge access?

Flying in June at 5am and would be nice to have somewhere to relax around 3/4 before the flight but something tells me the lounge wont be open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus opens at 4:15am in T2
    DAA T1 is 4:30am, T2 5:00am
    Etihad is 24hours but unless you are flying with them as business/first you won't be getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Do you have to be flying to the us to book lounge access?

No, except 51st and Green as that's behind US preclearance.

Aer Lingus allow you to pay in if you're travelling with them. Anyone can pay into the DAA lounges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the T1 Lounge in Dublin Airport? Read mixed reviews but nothing too current (I think they renovated recently-ish?). Friend of mine has a free entry voucher via revolut so the rest of us said sure we might as well purchase an entry voucher and enjoy it.

Was under the impression it was help yourself to unlimited everything judging by the pics (self serve bar area) and description but it looks as if the bar is manned now and the voucher I bought has a note saying 2 complimentary alcoholic drinks only which was never mentioned anywhere before buying. Needless to say a bit miffed as we were hoping to spend a few hours there and have a few drinks before the evening flight.

Anyone any experience of what it's like these days? Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the T1 Lounge in Dublin Airport? Read mixed reviews but nothing too current (I think they renovated recently-ish?). Friend of mine has a free entry voucher via revolut so the rest of us said sure we might as well purchase an entry voucher and enjoy it.

Was under the impression it was help yourself to unlimited everything judging by the pics (self serve bar area) and description but it looks as if the bar is manned now and the voucher I bought has a note saying 2 complimentary alcoholic drinks only which was never mentioned anywhere before buying. Needless to say a bit miffed as we were hoping to spend a few hours there and have a few drinks before the evening flight.

Anyone any experience of what it's like these days? Cheers!

It’s not somewhere to go and spend hours. By lounge standards it’s pretty poor with no hot food. I use as I get it free , I certainly dint think it’s worth paying into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s not somewhere to go and spend hours. By lounge standards it’s pretty poor with no hot food. I use as I get it free , I certainly dint think it’s worth paying into

The real question is, did they stop you after 2 drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

EyesClosed wrote: »
    The real question is, did they stop you after 2 drinks?

I had more with no issues.

There is a person behind the bar so no self service on alcoholic beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's a terrible lounge. I wouldn't dream of paying to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If you are going to be stuck in departures in DUB for three hours and need to eat something anyway, the DAA lounge is perfectly worthy of €25 quid or whatever it is.

If you get a Burger King and a pint upstairs you will have little or no change out of your €25 quid anyway. At least in the lounge you get a decent seat, a bit of peace and quiet and your fill of sandwiches and booze.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If you are going to be stuck in departures in DUB for three hours and need to eat something anyway, the DAA lounge is perfectly worthy of €25 quid or whatever it is.

If you get a Burger King and a pint upstairs you will have little or no change out of your €25 quid anyway. At least in the lounge you get a decent seat, a bit of peace and quiet and your fill of sandwiches and booze.

Is that closed if im flying at 5am?

My main tips that I find handy are always printing your boarding pass even if you have it on yer phones. What if both of your phones break or are lost etc.

Always have a plastic folder thats only for your boarding passes and hotel details and passports. One person keeps the folder and returns the stuff after taking them out.

The boots meal deal is great if wanting to keep some money for the holiday.

Me and my partner always bring our own alcohol from duty free and pour it in on the sly. I know its illegal but Ryanair piss me off and we've never been caught. Oh were allowed to bring our own coca cola and jellies and crisps but not some vodka? Just because you wanna overcharge us at €6 for a 250ml mini can of heineken?

No thanks! And its not being stingey its finding Ryanair tight fisted and just mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If you think any airline is going to allow you to drink your own alcohol you're in for a shock.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If you think any airline is going to allow you to drink your own alcohol you're in for a shock.

They dont.

If youre careful about it they don't need to know either though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Is that closed if im flying at 5am?

My main tips that I find handy are always printing your boarding pass even if you have it on yer phones. What if both of your phones break or are lost etc.

Always have a plastic folder thats only for your boarding passes and hotel details and passports. One person keeps the folder and returns the stuff after taking them out.

The boots meal deal is great if wanting to keep some money for the holiday.

Me and my partner always bring our own alcohol from duty free and pour it in on the sly. I know its illegal but Ryanair piss me off and we've never been caught. Oh were allowed to bring our own coca cola and jellies and crisps but not some vodka? Just because you wanna overcharge us at €6 for a 250ml mini can of heineken?

No thanks! And its not being stingey its finding Ryanair tight fisted and just mean.
    It’s not just a Ryanair rule, it’s illegal to be drunk onboard an aircraft. I’m not saying you’re drunk because you drink your own booze but doing do means the crew can’t limit/monitor your alcohol consumption.
    I’m sure you’re a responsible drinker but if you’re caught by the crew they’ll likely ask you to stop drink and may confiscate your booze until landing which they’re entitled to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Kat1170 wrote: »

Kuwait do.

Advertisement