Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Will be in T1 at 6am, is it wort while getting fasttrack, normally travel outside peak time so unsure about how busy it will be,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Will be in T1 at 6am, is it wort while getting fasttrack, normally travel outside peak time so unsure about how busy it will be,

Yes it is. That's security rush hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

@caranica , Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Vodafone are giving free Fasttrack vouchers and unfortunately Dublin airport haven't responded to the increase in fasttrack customers, so it's a lot slower that it used to be.

Hey DAA, how about opening TWO security lines for FASTTRACK

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

smurfjed wrote: »
    Vodafone are giving free Fasttrack vouchers and unfortunately Dublin airport haven't responded to the increase in fasttrack customers, so it's a lot slower that it used to be.

Hey DAA, how about opening TWO security lines for FASTTRACK

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think families with kids should be allowed to use fasttrack. There is no way you can be quick going through security with kids and it slows the process down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think families with kids should be allowed to use fasttrack. There is no way you can be quick going through security with kids and it slows the process down

I don't think you are on your own with that opinion. The last time in the airport I was offered fast track as a paid perk. Just as I got through, I saw a big group of people with kids being let through. Luckily I was ahead of them. I would have been a bit annoyed if they got a free pass through, after i had paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

not an unpopular opinion at all - I do think there should be family designated lines though

not an unpopular opinion at all - I do think there should be family designated lines though

Family and additional assistance lanes are common in the US, maybe something DAA should look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

There is already a family lane in T1 it is too the extreme left of the bar code scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Flying with Aer Lingus and wondering how the seating allocation works if we are 2 people, and the only 2 seats remaining beside each other are the ones you have to pay for... There isn't 2 of the free seats beside each other.
    If I were to choose the sit us anywhere option, would it separate us into the free seats, or would it keep us together and allocate us the seats you normally would have to pay extra for?

• Advertisement

Flying with Aer Lingus and wondering how the seating allocation works if we are 2 people, and the only 2 seats remaining beside each other are the ones you have to pay for... There isn't 2 of the free seats beside each other.
    If I were to choose the sit us anywhere option, would it separate us into the free seats, or would it keep us together and allocate us the seats you normally would have to pay extra for?

Separate you most likely.

You are on Aer Lingus. They will seat you together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

They don’t pull the Ryanair stunt unless you’re the absolute last handful to check in. Check in online, you can choose your seats free 30 hours before departure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

The kinda defeats the purpose of paying for seats. Nobody would pre-pay for seats if that was the case. You don't even tell us where you are flying to - routes determines loads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The kinda defeats the purpose of paying for seats. Nobody would pre-pay for seats if that was the case. You don't even tell us where you are flying to - routes determines loads.

People pay to guarantee certain seats, but they don’t separate people who check in together purposely, obviously if you’d among the last handful to check in you’ll get what’s available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Absolutely! I've travelled a lot this year, 2 kids(1 baby- had to get bottles and baby food swabbed) , such a relief when you're done going through security.

Are there any computers in Departures where I can print a boarding pass?

I am flying Blue Air to Bucharest and I don't think they will accept the pdf on my phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

No computer you can logon to, but you can email the PDF at the luggage wrap stations and they will print it off for the tidy sum of €6.

Can you not ask at the check-in desk for a re-print of the boarding pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Why don't you just get it printed at the check-in desk?

"If you prefer to check-in personally at the airport, no problem. We ask you come to see us at the check-in desk two hours before your scheduled departure time. This gives us enough time to arrange take-off and means you won't have to rush! Airport check-in is free of charge."

https://www.blueairweb.com/en/gb/check-in-info/

Ryanair charge for airport check-in but they are the exception rather than the rule. Even easyJet don't charge for airport check-in. The only other European airlines I am aware of that charge for airport check-in are Wizz Air, UIA and airBaltic. airBaltic will still print boarding passes for free however.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Flying out of T2 in a couple of weeks on an 11.30am flight on a Tuesday - never travelled out of T2 before, do the security queues be as busy as T1?

Is it worth paying extra for Fast Track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's a relatively quiet time to be flying, I wouldn't pay for Fasttrack. Excluding US flights (they will have gone through security much earlier), today there's only 6 flights departing T2 between 10 a.m. and 12.

Disclaimer....... the number of security queues in operation varies depending on passenger throughput and people on the early flights tend to be business travellers who know what not to pack so you could zoom through when it's mad busy at 6 a.m. and at 11 a.m. you could get stuck behind an elderly couple wearing chunky jewellery and with lots of liquids in their bags.

coylemj wrote: »
    That's a relatively quiet time to be flying, I wouldn't pay for Fasttrack. Excluding US flights (they will have gone through security much earlier), today there's only 6 flights departing T2 between 10 a.m. and 12.

Disclaimer....... the number of security queues in operation varies depending on passenger throughput and people on the early flights tend to be business travellers who know what not to pack so you could zoom through when it's mad busy at 6 a.m. and at 11 a.m. you could get stuck behind an elderly couple wearing chunky jewellery and with lots of liquids in their bags.

Its to the US that i am flying to.....

True that about being stuck behind someone not prepared - drives me insane when people only start emptying their pockets and taking off their belts and so on right when they get to the top and look and act like they had no idea to do that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did you count Aer Lingus ? They say T2 but really use T1...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Its to the US that i am flying to.....

True that about being stuck behind someone not prepared - drives me insane when people only start emptying their pockets and taking off their belts and so on right when they get to the top and look and act like they had no idea to do that!!

I flew to USA noon on Wednesday two weeks ago, security at t2 was a breeze but preclearance took over an hour and a half, it was packed all the way back to their security. I hear once you're in that queue the plane can't leave without you so they call your flight and pull you to the front if your flight is due to leave. We arrived in the airport 3 hours before the flight, had a quick coffee before preclearance but only just made final call for boarding.

ted1 wrote: »
    Did you count Aer Lingus ? They say T2 but really use T1...

Yes, I've had that long walk. It's only some flights and the flight will be marked as departing from T2 regardless.

Anyway, OP is flying to the US so it's definitely T2.

I flew to USA noon on Wednesday two weeks ago, security at t2 was a breeze but preclearance took over an hour and a half, it was packed all the way back to their security. I hear once you're in that queue the plane can't leave without you so they call your flight and pull you to the front if your flight is due to leave. We arrived in the airport 3 hours before the flight, had a quick coffee before preclearance but only just made final call for boarding.

Holy crap, you're joking!!
    Thought maybe half an hour at most at pre clearance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There can literally be a thousand people in the queue. It can be very stressful so leave lots of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I’ve been through preclearance in 10 minutes and it’s also taken 90 minutes. It’s unpredictable so best advice is to turn up at the airport 3 hours before departure time.

You said you're flying on a Tuesday so on the Sunday or Monday before you're due to travel, go to https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures

Set the date to the Tuesday, the terminal to 'Terminal 2 only' and look at the list of US flights falling within 60 or 90 minutes before and after your flight. That will give you a feel for how many people are likely to be using pre-clearance that morning at about the same time as you.

You'll get a fair idea if you try it this Sunday or Monday as the schedule next Tuesday (Sept. 24th) will probably be the same as the Tuesday you will be flying.

Edit: I see that on a web browser, you have to continuously press a button 'show more flights' at the bottom of the listing whereas if you use the Dublin airport smartphone app, it shows you a full list of the flights for the date and terminal you select.

• Advertisement

You said you're flying on a Tuesday so on the Sunday or Monday before you're due to travel, go to https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures

Set the date to the Tuesday, the terminal to 'Terminal 2 only' and look at the list of US flights falling within 60 or 90 minutes before and after your flight. That will give you a feel for how many people are likely to be using pre-clearance that morning at about the same time as you.

You'll get a fair idea if you try it this Sunday or Monday as the schedule next Tuesday (Sept. 24th) will probably be the same as the Tuesday you will be flying.

Edit: I see that on a web browser, you have to continuously press a button 'show more flights' at the bottom of the listing whereas if you use the Dublin airport smartphone app, it shows you a full list of the flights for the date and terminal you select.

Thank you so much, that's really helpful!

Advertisement