Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would say that 2 hours is fine, just make sure to check in to your flight to your final destination and that you have all the documents ready (boarding pass etc). If there are large queues, you could ask security if they will let you through faster. May not work but it's worth a try ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Yes you will have to collect your bag.

Through check policy is at the airlines discretion, it doesn't hurt to ask but unlikely.

You cannot use flight connections, so you have to walk over to T2 to drop the bag and then proceed through security

If you had only hand luggage you could simply go through T1 security and find the Aer Lingus gate as its typically nearer to T1 than T2

1:55 should be sufficient as you arrive into the 300 gates where passport control and the walk to the baggage hall is short
    Thought as much thanks ill ask them anyway at check in you would never know they might feel sorry for me haha,

Well if the flight lands on time hopefully ill be able to get the bag and head to terminal 2

If i was really stuck on time what would happen if i just left the bag there and try and get on the way back a few days later? there won't be anything really important in the bag just clothes and toiletries, would they charge me something for holding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Etihad often run late, check the flight history on flight radar to see what time it actually gets in it

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ey41 (you may need to change flight codes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

ted1 wrote: »
    Etihad often run late, check the flight history on flight radar to see what time it actually gets in it

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ey41 (you may need to change flight codes)
    Thanks for the link

Looking over the last week it seems the flight is always on time or early but knowing my luck Tuesday could be the day it's delayed, hopefully not.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Do you have to put your wallet in the bin with your belt coins keys etc when being scanned through the airport. I have heard horror stories of stuff being stolen from the bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yes, empty pockets

Don't go through the metal detector till you see your bag go inside the machine, then you will be waiting for it to reappear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

as previous poster said, you have to put everything into the trays, sometimes even hoodies, coats or shoes... depending on the airport or the staff on duty.
    The safest thing for your small belongings is to have a bag where it's not visible what is in it. It's less conspicuous for someone to swipe small items off a tray than a bag. Also don't put the tray into the machine until you're ready to go through the detector, as sometimes queues can build up (because someone else didn't realise they're meant to put wallet/belt into tray and are getting scanned other side of the detector) and trays have gone through to the other side, and anyone from another line can go up to your stuff and you wouldn't be able to do squat about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Do you have to put your wallet in the bin with your belt coins keys etc when being scanned through the airport. I have heard horror stories of stuff being stolen from the bins.

Personally, when I'm in the queue for the x-ray, I put wallet, keys, watch, etc into my cabin bag. Belt, kindle into the tray. But definitely anything valuable goes into carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I’ve just booked return to Dublin Airport online with Dublin Coach.

I notice that, unlike Aircoach, they ask for your bus departure time for both journeys.

I presume that, if my plane is early or late when I’m returning, I can’t take the first bus I get to, and not have to pay another fare?

I don’t think it says whether or which in the website.

Also, the tickets were emailed to my phone, just like Aircoach. I presume I don’t have to print them off, just show the phone?

D

Ps.

1. I do like the fact that your credit card details are saved, unlike Aircoach.

2. Dublin Coach say that a photo ID is required, which is total BS for a bus trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dinarius wrote: »
    I notice that, unlike Aircoach, they ask for your bus departure time for both journeys.

Aircoach do ask for the times of both legs when you book online. I always print the ticket, less messing about with phone menus when you're boarding. Because the phone display always goes blank just as you're about to show the e-mail to the driver.

Just put in the earliest possible time for each leg and then say you missed the earlier bus, the drivers don't care. For the return leg (from the airport), you have the standard excuse that your flight was delayed.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Just like Dublin Coach, Aircoach asks for your departure and return dates (obviously)

Aircoach does *not* ask you for the *times* of the bus(es) you wish to take; at least not with my iPhone/Safari or computer/Firefox combos. Maybe they’re set up differently for the browser you’re using - which wd be odd, admittedly.

I used Aircoach for almost 12 months up to June. Great service, just wish they were closer to me. That said, traveling the M50 with DC, instead of thro’ town, is another plus IMHO.

I never print my ticket - hate wasting paper. Phone always charged coz I use it at the airport for boarding pass too.

One last point... iPhone app for both providers are truly a joke. Though, in fairness to DC, when you book online, you have the option to register and have your details recorded. Saves you having to do this every booking. Last time I looked (June) Aircoach still didn’t have this feature.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dinarius wrote: »
    Just like Dublin Coach, Aircoach asks for your departure and return dates (obviously)

Aircoach does *not* ask you for the *times* of the bus(es) you wish to take; at least not with my iPhone/Safari or computer/Firefox combos. Maybe they’re set up differently for the browser you’re using - which wd be odd, admittedly.

You have to give a time for both legs if you're booking for an hourly service like Greystones or Killiney.

So if the departure point is UCD, it doesn't ask for times but it does if you're departing from Cabinteely or Monkstown.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Don't start talking of your shoes unless you are asked too as well!

No bus from Dundrum at 10:15 and none at 10:45.

Repeated calls by a few of us to Dublin Coach tang out. Eventually, a very unpleasant woman answered one of us.

She said that “he was delayed”; the obvious implication being that there was only one of him. When I pointed out that it would be impossible to run two buses per hour to Dublin Airport with only one bus, she ignored this and said he would be with us in “fifteen to twenty minutes”.

Since this would result in some of us missing our flight, we shared a taxi.

Based on this experience dire service and dire customer care.

Have emailed for my €15 back. We shall see.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Flying from Dublin to London at 9:50 tomorrow morning. so probablt get to airport about 8:20. Does anyone know is it busy around then? Thinking of booking Fasttrack as we have 3 kids with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If the kids are young, you'll able to use the family lane free of charge. It's usually quite quick although there always a risk of getting stuck behind a family who are having a bad day.

markpb wrote: »
    If the kids are young, you'll able to use the family lane free of charge. It's usually quite quick although there always a risk of getting stuck behind a family who are having a bad day.

What or where is the family lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

wall wrote: »
    What or where is the family lane?

In T1, you go to the normal security entrance (not fast track) and you'll see the assistance/family on the left. I can't remember where it is in T2 but the staff can help you.

It's a separate queue with more staff to assist you, slightly more space and no impatient regular travellers behind you wishing you'd hurry up and fold up your pram already and wondering why your two year old is on the floor crying about going through the x-ray machine on her own. Everyone else in the queue wants to move along quickly but they're not going to tut you for causing a delay because they know their children could be mere seconds from either running off or bursting into tears.

I'm not sure what the age cut off is.

It wasn’t too busy yesterday morn at 8:30, took maybe 10 mins to get through, and in the normal channels.

Have booked my second Dublin Coach trip for tomorrow morning.

The times have changed from every quarter-past and quarter-to, to twenty-past and ten-to the hour.

Needless to say, no response to my email requesting a refund from the last time and no sign of the money in my credit card.

Let’s see if the bus turns up.

D.

Ps. Unlike the superb Aircoach, with Dublin Coach you have to specify the precise bus time you wish to take. In their T&Cs it states that you cannot transfer your ticket to another bus time. But, what if the bus you booked doesn’t turn up? (As happened with me.) And what if your flight is late? You couldn’t make it up. I only wish it was Aircoach from Dundrum.

• Advertisement

The twenty after the hour bus arrives early at 11 minutes past the hour - great!

But, it leaves one minute later (i.e. eight minutes early) with only me on it!

Pity the poor people arriving after that and hoping to catch it.

It’s kind of appropriate that one of the stops is the Red Cow Inn.

Cowboys.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just for balance, I have had money refunded from Dublin Coach in the past when I had booked for the wrong day and had to purchase another ticket on board. I have also frequently used tickets for a different time on the correct day and only had it mentioned by the driver once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Just wondering if 0people can refill a water bottle inside once they clear security??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cardshark

I was there recently and I don't think there is, at least I didn't see any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Masala wrote: »
    Just wondering if 0people can refill a water bottle inside once they clear security??

If I can't find one I'd usually just fill it up in the sink in the toilet but I know a lot of people won't want to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Are there any in any Irish airport???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Masala wrote: »
    Are there any in any Irish airport???

There's a few in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If only there was a way to search for things on the internet.

https://wateratairports.com/topic/cork-airport-ork/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dennyk

VG31 wrote: »
    There's a few in Dublin.

Dublin T1 I use the dispenser at Marqette, it's on the divider between the food service area and the seating area. Slow as ****, but it gets the job done.

If all else fails, go to a restaurant or bar and ask them if they can fill your bottle from the tap; they always have for me at Irish airports (though not so much in other countries...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Think both cork an Dublin have water bottles available on a trust system. You just leave a euro or two per bottle you take, can't remember if it's one or two.

Advertisement