Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Cruiserweight Division Thread - Includes Raw & 205 Live *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Running the matches on the Indy shows is both awesome, and incredibly un-WWE like...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This is incredibly exciting. I can't remember anything like this happening, ever. I wonder will this see the return of a Cruiserweight division?

I reckon an amalgamation of the US and IC titles would leave a perfect "gap in the market" for the return of the Cruiserweight title.

And imagine if it's not a WWE guy that wins it. Although, maybe they'll use it as a vehicle to push somebody coming in, like La Sombra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

It will be a Zach Sabre Jnr vs Manny Andrade (La Sombra) final and I fully expect ZSJ will sign a contract before the tournament ends. Tozawa is a name I didnt expect so thats brilliant. I wonder will he be the only Dragon Gate name in the mix? Congrats to Noam Dar getting in too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Fecking delighted that Zack Sabre Jnr. is taking part. Part of me was hoping they'd come to some sort of deal to get Ospreay in as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Tozawa, with Apollo in NXT had a good contact.

Hopefully they can get Ibushi in as well.

Reportedly Triple H said something like he didn't understand why the light heavyweight championship fell away. I think copying new japans light heavy and heavyweight rosters would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

DM_7 wrote: »
    Tozawa, with Apollo in NXT had a good contact.

Hopefully they can get Ibushi in as well.

Reportedly Triple H said something like he didn't understand why the light heavyweight championship fell away. I think copying new japans light heavy and heavyweight rosters would be a good idea.

Would love to see WWE do a Heavyweight/ Light Heavyweight roster like New Japan. Combine the US title/Intercontinental title and promote the Light Heavyweight division instead, they've signed a lot of good smaller guys and instead of having them stuck in the mid card with the likes of Ryback let them compete amongst each other

The Cruiserweight Series has the potential to be an unreal tournament, think they'll bring in a couple of veteran cruiserweights in Jushin Thunder Liger and possibly Rey Mysterio if there isn't any bad blood between them to add a bit of star appeal to it plus would be big boast for some of the younger guys to knock off a legend like Liger and a veteran like Rey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Angron wrote: »
    Fecking delighted that Zack Sabre Jnr. is taking part. Part of me was hoping they'd come to some sort of deal to get Ospreay in as well.

In a way I'm glad Ospreay has nothing to do with it, he's still only 22 at the end of the day so I think the experience he's going to get in New Japan for a few years will be a lot better for his development than going into this. He's going to end up there anyway more than likely but going the long way about it is the right route I think.

Just seen it mentioned elsewhere but apparently The Meltz said on his show that if Ricochet&Sydal drop the IWGP Jr belts at Invasion Attack he expects Ricochet will be in the Cruiserweight Series. Also I think we can confirm NXT TakeOver Spoiler
    Kota Ibushi

Ricochet would be a huge surprise

http://www.wwe.com/shows/globalcruiserweightseries/article/global-cruiserweight-series-qualifying-matches-progress
    On Sunday, April 24 in Camden Town, London, PROGRESS will present two matches with the incredible opportunity to compete in the GCS on the line. In the first qualifier, international star and technical wizard Zack Sabre Jr. will begin his journey in the GCS when he takes on up-and-coming highflier Flash Morgan Webster, who will surely be out to play spoiler and catapult himself into the spotlight. The second bout sees world-traveled grappler Jack Gallagher square off against the hard-hitting “Bruiserweight” Pete Dunne.

Surprised they are getting Zack to qualify.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/globalcruiserweightseries/article/global-cruiserweight-series-qualifying-matches-evolve
    On Saturday, May 7, in Queens, N.Y., EVOLVE Wrestling plays host to two qualifying matches, giving four competitors the opportunity of a lifetime. Two of EVOLVE’s most prominent mat technicians, reigning EVOLVE Tag Team Champions Drew Gulak and Tracy Williams, will square off against each other in the first qualifier. The second match is a battle to determine whether a rookie’s pure determination can overcome experience, as up-and-comer Fred Yehi battles 15-year veteran TJ Perkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It's not like he won't win the qualifier! Just doing PROGRESS a favour I suppose.

I expect the 4 to qualify will be ZSJr, Pete Dunne, Gulak and TJP. Zack is being positioned I think to be the "shock" qualifier that makes it all the way to the final. TJP is somebody with a bit of a rep that they can use to put over somebody else in the opening round, maybe Manny Andrade as I think TJP has Lucha experience. Im gonna avoid spoilers as best I can for this. Should be brilliant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Perkins was one of the numerous people to play the Suicide/Manik character, wasn't he?

Yea he played the relaunched Suicide that then morphed into Manik. Think he also wore the suit whenever Daniels or Kaz werent available for it earlier on too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Is there going to be a King Of The Ring-style finals for this, where we get a few rounds at once?

http://www.wwe.com/shows/globalcruiserweightseries/article/global-cruiserweight-series-progress-qualifying-results
    LONDON – Zack Sabre Jr. and Jack Gallagher, two of the United Kingdom’s brightest stars, earned their way into the WWE Global Cruiserweight Series by winning qualifying matches at a PROGRESS Wrestling event, WWE.com has confirmed.

Sabre, often described as one of the best unsigned wrestlers in the world, defeated up-and-comer Flash Morgan Webster to cement his place in this summer’s highly anticipated tournament.

Gallagher, a technician with experience in mixed martial arts, bested hard-hitting “Bruiserweight” Pete Dunne in the second qualifying match to earn a coveted spot in the GCS.

Check back with WWE.com soon for photos and exclusive video of PROGRESS’ qualifying matches.

The Global Cruiserweight Series, featuring 32 of the world’s best competitors under 205 pounds battling for supremacy, begins Wednesday, July 13, at 9/8 C, only on WWE Network

• Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is this a legit tournament or are matches pre determined ???

Triple h and a few others prob knw the winner already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

PTH2009 wrote:

?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

PTH2009 wrote: »

Isn't it all pre determined

Think the tournament is only to give fans on the network something to watch and scout talent more closely, possibly be a few lads signed up after being involved in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

PTH2009 wrote: »

I should hope so, hes booking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe just mean is it a tournament where the earlier matches are all planned then the rest will be based on those matches. So while they could plan for one guy to win it, they change their minds after seeing someone performing better than him on a consistent basis, really over with fans, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

What I took PTH2009 to mean was is it up to the likes of Progress to decide who they want to win the matches or have WWE sought out certain people. I'm sure it's the latter scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

WWE have some of their qualifying matches up on their YouTube channel, from a recent progress show.

I've never seen Zach Saber Jnr in action before - he looks to be the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

He's my fave wrestler in the world, he has it all.

I'll be surprised if Sabre doesn't wind up getting signed by WWE at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think sabre jnr will be in the final of this vs manny andrade.

I think the whole thing is being designed for manny to be a big star coming out of it then launch him into NXT.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/cruiserweightclassic

No Andrade, so this is not going to be his crowning introduction after all.
    The .com home page for the renamed Cruiserweight Classic has some interesting names listed.

Some must be NXT bound with the brand split, maybe in Gargano, Ciampa type deals. Ibushi for example could fly in for Tapings/Takeovers.

Cedric Alexander looks great these days and must fancy a WWE contract now he is done with ROH.

Tajiri :D is in.

http://www.wwe.com/section/cruiserweight-classic-competitors

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0613/612618/wwe-announces-all-32-names-for-cruiserweight-classic/

* Kota Ibushi
    * Tajiri
    * Gran Metalik
    * Zack Sabre Jr.
    * Noam Dar
    * Da Mack
    * Zumbi
    * Clement Petiot
    * Harv Sihra
    * Gurv Sihra
    * Fabian Aichner
    * Brian Kendrick
    * Rich Swann
    * Cedric Alexander
    * Akira Tozawa
    * Jack Gallagher
    * Tony Nese
    * Johnny Gargano
    * Tommaso Ciampa
    * Ho Ho Lun
    * TJ Perkins
    * Drew Gulak
    * Anthony Bennett
    * Tyson Dux
    * Lince Dorado
    * Sean Malura
    * Raul Mendoza
    * Kenneth Johnson
    * Alejandro Saez
    * Damien Slater
    * Ariya Daivari
    * Jason Lee

Honestly have no clue about a lot of them, Zumbi looks like good fun.

EDIT:Gran Metalik is reportedly Mascara Dorada

That is actually a hell of a line up! Love Tajiri, Kendrick and young Daivari being in it. If Gran Metalik is Mascara Dorada then that is a f*cking HUGE coup. ZSJ Ibushi final now I think. Though Gargano is a good outside bet and Dorada if he has a deal is massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

very suprised there isn't more signed wwe guys.

only really rich swann. gargano and ciampa as well with whatever there deals are.

well unless there are more guys signed we dont know of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was someway expecting them to throw in there former 3 time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion & 2 time winner of Best of the Super Juniors Tournament into it as there star man.

Advertisement