Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Cruiserweight Division Thread - Includes Raw & 205 Live *Spoilers*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ibushi v Kendrick was a great match indeed but it wasnt match of the show for me, Gran Metalik vs Tozowa was just an epic. Both need to be signed up for the main roster.

Dunno about Kozawa (although his CWC promo was about how he dreamed of wrestling in the WWE and how he felt the CWC would help him get there so good chance there) but I remember a few weeks ago there were reports of Gran Metallic signing and the WWE filing to trademark his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Dunno about Kozawa (although his CWC promo was about how he dreamed of wrestling in the WWE and how he felt the CWC would help him get there so good chance there) but I remember a few weeks ago there were reports of Gran Metallic signing and the WWE filing to trademark his name.

I know it means nothing but Tozowa retweeted an NXT Japan tweet from Triple H...... would love to see him on a regular basis in WWE, hes has been a big stand out for me. He and Gran Metalik has a flawless match and His other matches with Gallagher (another stand out) and Johnson were tremendous viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I am pretty sure both have been signed. Metalik has been the stand out so far for me. I knew little about him pre CWC but he has blown me away with his performances. Would have no problem with him winning the tournie now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

CWC/Raw spoilers
    Raw ran a promo for Gallagher, Metallik and Tozawa saying they'll be on the show next week or the week after. Safe to say that they've either all signed deals or are close enough to it.

LeeJM wrote: »
    I am pretty sure both have been signed. Metalik has been the stand out so far for me. I knew little about him pre CWC but he has blown me away with his performances. Would have no problem with him winning the tournie now

He just makes things look so effortless and yet his flippy moves arent just for the sake of it.

One spot I loved during his match with Tozowa was how he walked the ropes and faking an attack. Tozowa ducked and Metalik walked the ropes after the fake and hit him from the other side. Smart, fast and effective high flying offense.

Might wanna delete the Raw spoiler there. I knew about it but others probably dont. Its not even midday on Tuesday so plenty wont have seen Raw yet

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He just makes things look so effortless and yet his flippy moves arent just for the sake of it.

One spot I loved during his match with Tozowa was how he walked the ropes and faking an attack. Tozowa ducked and Metalik walked the ropes after the fake and hit him from the other side. Smart, fast and effective high flying offense.

Yea that was class. Like you say he is just so smooth in what he does. Could definitely be their long awaited Latino star if they just let him keep doing what hes doing.

Also to be honest, there hasnt been many wrestlers on the CWC that I havent liked. I liked Davari's brother a lot, Drew Gulak was very interesting to watch and Ho Ho Lun was a curious guy to watch.

ZSJ and Noam Dar were underwhelming to be honest tho. Not that they were bad by any means but I expected more from them.

Ho Ho Lun may be one of the worst professional wrestlers I have ever seen. Dar got stuck with him so was never gonna impress. And he is still only a kid so will improve now that he is in WWE. ZSJ I love. Just think he is phenomenal but I understand why some dont like him. Personally Id push the guy to the moon. An absolute star IMO

I've seen Noam have much better matches than what he showed in the CWC. He also has huge charisma which wasn't evident here. Ho HO was a terrible first opponent to have as he's really a bit crap. Ibushi would've been hard pressed to get something passable from him. Dar is only 23 so maybe hasn't learned how to properly carry opponents not as skilled as he. If anything he should wait a few years to get more experience before rocking up to the WWE.

I've been a fan of SZJ for a while now, but his debut wasn't good. He tried to get his cool grapple spots in during the short time frame of the match and in the process the match failed to gain any sort of momentum. It's a problem I have with him and his matches. They sometimes look like exhibitions of grappling techniques rather than fights. Second match was much better. There was a better flow to it and it looked like a proper competition between the two.

Jack Gallagher has been the star BritWres guy during the CWC. Has an interesting look, shows technical skill without going overboard ala SZJ and has charisma for days.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Jack Gallagher has been the star BritWres guy during the CWC. Has an interesting look, shows technical skill without going overboard ala ZSJ and has charisma for days.

THIS!

Jack was a guy I read about in Fighting Spirit Mag but never seen him wrestle until the CWC.

The guys looks like a jobber, a guy just out to fill the numbers.....but that lures his opponents into a false sense of security and its outsmarting at every turn.

His match with Tozowa was fantastic. Tozowa went in full steam ahead and got school at nearly every corner with smooth reversals and clever counters, Jack was always one step ahead and out foxed him for most of the match. Great booking and a fantastic match.

Having a better opponent helped this week for ZSJ as he had a much better match although if im honest I still haven't been won over to the extent you'd expect with someone with such a big rep.

That said the submission move that finished it was something special.

I suppose you could say WWE audiences / American audiences are less tecnical wrestling inclined but I def felt TJP vs Swann def got not only the crowd but myself also far more invested in what was going on with their more entertainment based approach anyway.

Another thing I love about the CWC is the selling of injuries and how wrestlers actively seem to target injuries / have a gameplan they stick to, working over such injuries throughout matches. Simple storytelling but something you dont always get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Anyone watching this? What a match between TJ Perkins and Ibushi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

unbelievable match. And both results so far are shocks!
    Surprised there's no chat on here about this Live final..
    The best show on the network

Its nice to see other wrestlers in the audience as fans too! Good tag match too, dont like Noam Dar though.

I think the new era should be renamed to the strong style era. Some of the hits going in to all these matches and nxt matches are mad!

Very stiff looking a lot of the time alright. These are matches that would turn non-wrestling fans

Prediction for the final?

Perkins. Has a great look and WWE will probably look to build a star for the Filipino audience.
    Already have 2 masked luchadors on the main roster... and TJ has a great look.
    Was really hoping Kendrick would win though

Yep, agree with everything you said there!

• Advertisement

Jesus the state of his chest after it!

That's gona sting in the mornin. Outstanding stuff. and a new belt too. Can't wait to see what they do with this Cruiserweight division on Raw....
    Delighted for Perkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

That was an absolute stand out match. It was phenomenal. Perkins is an amazing talent, made up for him.

Question is now will he defend it at clash of champions? Surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Hope there's a wild six man tag on Monday

Great way to end the CWC. Ibushi vs TJP is a ***** match and probably my MOTY right now. Just an outstanding match. Nice new belt and 2 stars were made tonight in TJP and Metalik.

I love Sabre and im a little disappointed he isnt signed but he will now benefit from being one of the main men left on the indies. He needs to go for the full on heel pr*ck role i think for some of his non fans to accept him. But i have no doubt he will be a part of WWE some time in the not too distant future.

Im calling it now, Marty Scrull will win next years CWC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was 4 absolutely incredible matches. I kind of figured Perkins would win; with Ibushi and Sabre not signing, they weren't going to be winning. And TJ is a better poster boy over Metalik; doesn't need a transalator, has a ggood look.

Its a shame Raw will probably have Perkins jobbing to Strowman within 4 weeks :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That was 4 absolutely incredible matches. I kind of figured Perkins would win; with Ibushi and Sabre not signing, they weren't going to be winning. And TJ is a better poster boy over Metalik; doesn't need a transalator, has a ggood look.

Its a shame Raw will probably have Perkins jobbing to Strowman within 4 weeks :/

Who out of the CWC are actually signed to WWE? Do they actually have a cruiserweight division for Raw?

Who out of the CWC are actually signed to WWE? Do they actually have a cruiserweight division for Raw?

TJP, Gran Metalik, Brian Kendrick, Rich Swann, Akira Tozawa, Gargano & Ciampa (likely to stay on NXT), Jack Gallagher, Noam Dar, Tajiri, Sin Cara will be involved im sure and likely guys like Tony Nese, Sean Maluta etc will be brought in now and again for matches.

With the introduction of the Cruiserweight division on Raw I hope they finally have something for Neville to do. He's far too good a wrestler to be mid/low card fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

TJ Perkins was the right choice to win this tournament. Zack Sabre JR and Ibushi didn't need to win this tournament since they were already big names before tournament.

• Advertisement

The entire CWC was awesome and has provided some of the best matches the WWE has had in a long time.

It really is a pity Ibushi isn't signing as every single match he had was a classic (Alexander, Kendrick, TJP) but apart from him and Sabre they virtually signed everyone else so the division on Raw really should be great. The CWC also showed that they don't need storylines (take note Raw as here is where you will screw up I fear) as the matches themselves tell great ones if you just allow them time to tell them.

I assume we will get TJPs first title defense at Clash of Champions now but when the division debuts on Monday we will probably get a no.1 contenders match which can showcase the division to the audience. Maybe it will be like what SD just did for Becky's first champion and be a big multi-man match that would be amazing fast paced action with the people they can have involved.

like TSC I could kinda call TJP for the reasons he stated especially once the final 4 were announced (and Ibushi & Sabre hadn't signed) but I do honestly think they made the right choice and he is also a safe choice when you think of just how much experience he has despite not being near the end of his career a la Kendrick.

It's a pity the CWC is over even if there really is enough hours of WWE programming a week already and I will miss it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

TJ Perkins is 32? Maybe I'm just bad with ages but he looks 21-22 to me.

J. Marston wrote: »
    TJ Perkins is 32? Maybe I'm just bad with ages but he looks 21-22 to me.

He's an eternal babyface :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just a note too about Ranello, the CWC (and Bryan's co-commentary) really brought out his very best work, and I venture the whole thing would not have been near the same without him (them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great final and I guess it only makes sense to crown him Cruiserweight champ as well.
    He has a heelish manner about him at times.

They won't get as much time on Raw, but I hope they get time at PPVs. I think they should make the CW title match one of the main events.

And I just remembered it means more of Jack Gallagher.

LeeJM wrote: »
    TJP, Gran Metalik, Brian Kendrick, Rich Swann, Akira Tozawa, Gargano & Ciampa (likely to stay on NXT), Jack Gallagher, Noam Dar, Tajiri, Sin Cara will be involved im sure and likely guys like Tony Nese, Sean Maluta etc will be brought in now and again for matches.

I think they have essentially signed everyone except the 2 that chose not to sign.

For example The Bollywood boys Gurv Sihra & Harv Sihra went up against Sean Maluda & Martin Stone in a tag team match before the show started.

Another misused ex-TNA wrestler gone on to achieve great success in the bigger company.

Where's that Dixie crying image?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlCpbzBpLBjMh1-rw-lDdkmZYWfuhZv2pYtxnH1I8m0q1dHF8pqw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I watched Zack sabre versus Noam dar last night. The little things they did. Like dar having sabre in a submission. Sabre trying to get to the ropes and dar kicking his back to stop him. The ending with sabre head butting dars elbow with that deadly looking submission.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2016-09-19/article/cruiserweights-arrive-raw?sf36134052=1

7 Cruiserweights confirmed for Raw.

TJ Perkins
    Brian Kendrick
    Rich Swann
    Gran Metalik
    Cedric Alexander
    Lince Dorado
    Noam Dar

Akira Tozawa is apparently having his farewell match at Dragon Gate this Thursday. Jack Gallagher, afaik, has also confirmed he's on his way too. And Tajiri is also apparenrtly going to be involved. But those three aren't 100% confirmed yet.

So I imagine we get the six confirmed (minus TJ) competing in some sort of Number 1 contenders match.

So, so happy we'll get to hear "Man with a Plan" on Raw again :D

Ck2n9JyUoAAIGcj.jpg

• Advertisement

Raw ran a promo 2 or 3 weeks back advertising the Cruiserweights coming to Raw and included Gallagher and Tozawa as 2 of 3 or 4 that they had by name. I just remember seeing them and being happy because they were probably the 2 guys I found most entertaining to watch during the tournament.

I wonder if the whole tournamnet wasn't pre recorded, would the results be much different when the likes of Sabre and Ibushi wouldn't sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kendrick needs to bring back those flashy jackets he used to wear when he was The Brian Kendrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Might sound stupid but I'd say the cruiserweight division will be very much of the WCW-ilk where it was almost solely about the wrestling (much like the CWC itself) and black/white fueds weren't really a thing.

Outside of Jericho's priceless run I can't really think of a really solid overly storylined battle for the title.

Just as long as Hornswoggle gets a chance to reclaim his title then all will be right with the world. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm quite glad Metalik didn't win. Not sure why, but he does nothing for me. If it couldn't be my favourite in the tournament (ZSJ), then I'm happy it went to someone like Perkins.

Really looking forward to seeing what they can do on Raw now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That belt looks like something designed for Danger Mouse Neville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

My one disappointing aspect has been zsj. I hadn't seen him at all really but the hype around him I was expecting to like him a lot but his matches just did nothing for me.

sky88 wrote: »
    My one disappointing aspect has been zsj. I hadn't seen him at all really but the hype around him I was expecting to like him a lot but his matches just did nothing for me.

Also he looks like he could put on 150 pounds and still be a cruiserweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd echo the comments about ZSJ. Even when I saw him at OTT a few months back I wasn't convinced of the hype that he has.

He has five star skills and a decent amount of charisma for sure. Think it really is the body issue. I couldn't argue with somebody who called him "puny".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

Lord TSC wrote: »
    TJ Perkins
    Brian Kendrick
    Rich Swann
    Cedric Alexander
    Noam Dar

Hooray!

----

Hope Smackdown gets some kind of endurance championship. Back during the ol' brand split I thought the ECW title should have always been held under Extreeeeeme Rules to distinquish it from the others. Not the weaponsfest, as much as I love the Hardcore Championship, but something where there are no rope breaks or count outs or sutin.

*arrival of KFC championship*

Oh for fu--

Advertisement