Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Cruiserweight Division Thread - Includes Raw & 205 Live *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Also, ever hear the saying "He'd have a good match with a broom"? Ibushi has had some really class matches vs a dummy. Like a blow up doll. Look it up!

Just watched. He was lucky. A lot of close falls, especially after all those Canadian Destroyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Thought Bryan and Mauro were fantastic on commentary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Adiboo wrote: »
    Thought Bryan and Mauro were fantastic on commentary.

It's the contrast to what you normally hear that has me loving them. Everything said was relevant for 1 but more importantly it was said with the purpose of putting over the guys competing.

How the presentation of the product was so different is the kinda thing they need to do with Smackdown to differentiate the shows. Time limits, ref checks, commentary calling moves instead of telling jokes etc

Infact the presentation of this plus Bracketology had me very interested in all the matches even though I honestly would not have known all of the competitors before the thing.

He was a favorite before but the fact that
    Kota Ibushi
    has now signed with the WWE should even make him more of one for this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Did he get an indy or exclusive deal?

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Did he get an indy or exclusive deal?

PW torch who broke the story only say "NXT level deals" but from what Ibushi had to say recently (for example he apparently will work for the IGF promotion in Japan later this year) I would not be surprised if at least initially he is allowed to take some outside dates. He was also saying he had unfinished business in Japan iirc also but still it's a done deal and there are now soo many more great matches to look forward to once he is done with the CWC.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Could be just posturing for a better deal; given how strongly Ibushi is pushed I hope he sticks around! I've complete faith in NXT but am worried about roster call-ups. The post-mania batch have been a bust (Corbin, Uhaa, Vaudevillains) Enzo & Cass have done the best out of 'em all, Bullet Club immediately started jobbing to the Usos... I'd hate to see Bálor, Joe and Nakamura squandered. My hopes are SKY HIGH for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Could be just posturing for a better deal; given how strongly Ibushi is pushed I hope he sticks around! I've complete faith in NXT but am worried about roster call-ups. The post-mania batch have been a bust (Corbin, Uhaa, Vaudevillains) Enzo & Cass have done the best out of 'em all, Bullet Club immediately started jobbing to the Usos... I'd hate to see Bálor, Joe and Nakamura squandered. My hopes are SKY HIGH for them

Balor and Joe should be alright. Finn will probably go into the club and make them the dominant faction and Joe can be booked the same way as Rusev was before he jobbed to Cena.

As for Nakamura I think he's better off staying in NXT for the time being and having some top class matches every now and then as creative will probably have him ruined by this time next year. Bring him up next year after the club turn on either Styles or Balor and have him side with whoever against the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Seems to be a lot of talk that Nia Jax is taking one of the six spots. Meh, not a big fan of hers really. I expect the picks from NXT will be Balor, American Alpha, Bayley, Jax, Tye Dillinger (been down there for years now it's either call him up or let him go)..and possibly some other lesser known big lad that I can't predict right now.

I can't see them moving Joe or Nakamura up just yet they need them in NXT for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Pentecost wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of talk that Nia Jax is taking one of the six spots. Meh, not a big fan of hers really. I expect the picks from NXT will be Balor, American Alpha, Bayley, Jax, Tye Dillinger (been down there for years now it's either call him up or let him go)..and possibly some other lesser known big lad that I can't predict right now.

I can't see them moving Joe or Nakamura up just yet they need them in NXT for another while.

Nia Jax is just going to fill the Tamina role if/when she gets called up

• Advertisement

Nia needs to be in NXT. She's green as grass and has absolutely no presence. The way she carries herself, she comes across as a large Bella rather than another Awesome Kong. So of course she's getting called up and main divas storyline push!

Nia needs to be in NXT. She's green as grass and has absolutely no presence. The way she carries herself, she comes across as a large Bella rather than another Awesome Kong. So of course she's getting called up and main divas storyline push!

Completely agree and would also find it odd (in the very least in a Kayfabe sense) if Jax & Bayley both got called up but the NXT womens champion who beat both of them at recent takeovers didn't.

However maybe their will be a thing about the NXT champs not being eligible becuase they will have to be in NXT to defend their belts which would explain her and Joe not being picked.

they will have to be in NXT to defend their belts which would explain her and Joe not being picked.
    That's a great out, I hope they use it. No sense in bringing up all the big guns. I am worried that they're already moving past the WM callups for new NXT talent; maybe it's to make way for CWC talent being signed :) I wish Vince loved indy talent like Aitch does!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

That's a great out, I hope they use it. No sense in bringing up all the big guns. I am worried that they're already moving past the WM callups for new NXT talent; maybe it's to make way for CWC talent being signed :) I wish Vince loved indy talent like Aitch does!

I think trips just realises that a lot of the fanbase left is mainly hardcore fans and knows that he can tapp into that market.

Well Gran Metallic & Kota Ibushi are now signed and you would have to imagine they would be trying to sign Sabre who would probably be the biggest get after Ibushi of all the CWC talent. Add in some talent like Bobby Roode and the fact that Hideo Itami is only just back (and that some of the CWC talent were already signed like iirc Cedric Alexander) and people like Athena might be ready to get promoted to being NXT tv talent and NXT might be doing alright even if it loses the likes of Balor, Nakamura etc especially if they keep Asuka & Joe for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

What does everyone think of CWC so far?

No really stand out matches or MOTY candidates so far imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What does everyone think of CWC so far?

No really stand out matches or MOTY candidates so far imo.

Ah it's only been round one matches so far so I imagine they're just establishing the top stars for the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Jack Gallagher has suddenly become one of my favourite wrestlers after seeing the first round match against Fabian aichman. Hope he does well for the rest of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Cedric vs Kota was incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

When Ibushi did his moonsault off the top to the outside I realised that if I was a commentator a lot of my calls would just be 'aaahhhh what the fu*k!!'

• Advertisement

Cedric vs Kota was incredible

Was about to post that. That match and the Ciampa/Gargano match from last weeks episode were two of the best matches i've seen in some time.
    Gotta love the CWC.

Gotta think they will sign almost everyone they can and if they don't end up in the CW division on Raw they will be in NXT. Liked the please sign Cedric chant at the end and HHHs appearance which I felt wass almost a "yeah he's got a deal lads don't worry" moment

Strangely Jack Sabre didn't do much for me in rd1 but it could be a personal thing as if im honest I don't really like his look. Dunno if it's the gear he wears or what.

Jack Gallagher with another great showing this week. He has really impressed me in the CWC and I really hope that
    despite his 2nd round loss to Kozawa
    he is signed up. Interesting that he has also had and won 2 MMA bouts in the past year

Have only started watching it, but wonder how many parents were taking note of that move Jack did to keep their kids wrapped up on the floor if they misbehave. That was an excellent move. Was wondering if it actually worked. He's a fun wrestler to watch. Never heard of him before.

And just read that Ibushi turned down WWE's fulltime contract offer, though may still make appearances

Jack Gallagher with another great showing this week. He has really impressed me in the CWC and I really hope that
    despite his 2nd round loss to Kozawa
    he is signed up. Interesting that he has also had and won 2 MMA bouts in the past year

Really impressed by Jack in his two matches never seen him before but i hope he is signed up too.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Have only started watching it, but wonder how many parents were taking note of that move Jack did to keep their kids wrapped up on the floor if they misbehave. That was an excellent move. Was wondering if it actually worked. He's a fun wrestler to watch. Never heard of him before.

And just read that Ibushi turned down WWE's fulltime contract offer, though may still make appearances

Yeah I read he signed a deal but not a full time deal which is why I am guessing (only a guess so no spoiler tags) that he will get to the final but lose and in doing so really put over the winner strong before they head to Raw to head up the new division. Beating Ibushi in a great match would be huge for any of the other talent in this competition.

Yeah I read he signed a deal but not a full time deal which is why I am guessing (only a guess so no spoiler tags) that he will get to the final but lose and in doing so really put over the winner strong before they head to Raw to head up the new division. Beating Ibushi in a great match would be huge for any of the other talent in this competition.

it would make sense to have rich swann win it as the only nxt talent unless one of the others are already signed and starting immediately

sky88 wrote: »
    it would make sense to have rich swann win it as the only nxt talent unless one of the others are already signed and starting immediately

I believe a few of them are already signed, Gran Metalik for example and of course Ciampa has been in the WWE for a while (will be fighting on Saturday's takeover.

tbh I would not be surprised if the WWE sign up most people and even if they are not used straight away in the CW division they will go to developmental. Jack Sabre and Kozawa have big names so maybe would be the only ones outside of Ibushi that I'd actually not be too surprised if they didn't take any deal offered. Although that is assuming the WWE don't low ball em (the CWC competitors) financially.

TJ Perkins for example is someone I would not be surprised at all to see signed, ditto Cedric Alexander.

Akira Tozawa is actually really entertaining. He looks so serious but seeing him this week and of course being tied up by Jack, I enjoyed watching him.

Wonder what the future holds for Brian. Is he still with WWE? I know he was training Eva Marie.

Out of next week's competitors, I think Zack Sabre jr is the most unexciting to look at. The others have more character and as someone who hasn't seen him on the indies, Zack hasn't blown me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Im a fan of ZSJ style anyway but after seeing him at OTT last month he has just gone even higher in my list of best in the world right now. Initally i backed him to win but im not so sure anymore but i still think he is a star that WWE would be crazy not to utilize.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Zack's malnourished appearance (compared to alot of wrestlers signed up) is distracting though.

Based on the promo's Kendrick is sure to be on RAW for the Cruiserweight division.

Advertisement