Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Then he is a 'reseller' and should have a shop account ?

Like all the sellers selling the android boxes should.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

So what, though, to be fair? No-one is getting ripped off. Factory makes sticker for 30c, sells to wholesale for $1, wholesaler sells for $2 and person/retailer/cowboy sells in Ireland for €5-7. Everyone's happy and gets a good deal, no-one loses.

A "rip off" would be if you could buy it in the local shop for far less. Most people have zero interest in buying directly from China.

I agree with you.

Typical Irish begrudgery from some posters. They won't buy from someone in case they might be making a few euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

eamonnq wrote: »

Well there is no requirement to be be registered as shop on adverts. I suppose you're more alluding to avoiding the tax man rather than being a seller/shop on adverts which is a fair point. (though I'm sure revenue would allow a few dinosaur stickers to slip by :) )

As a legitimate seller (in the sense of being kosher with my income) I looked into being a shop on adverts, but the fees they charge are quite expensive, especially on higher priced goods.

Easier to just sell as a normal seller for the €2/3 they charge per sale above €50/60 or whatever. This would be true for a lot of sellers who are essentially a business/shop. I know at one point I looked into it they wanted a fee per sale, then a percentage of the sale price. So if I sold a PC for say, €1,500, they would get €100+.

It's a balancing thing. Being a shop generally = more business but costs a lot more per sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Should be paying tax as well, wouldn't begrudge the chap though he's just trying to bust a living.

It's the counterfit goods I've a real issue with and there's nothing being done about it, every phone repair shop around the country is full of fake otterboxes, here's an example on adverts http://www.adverts.ie/12220808

Well there is no requirement to be be registered as shop on adverts. I suppose you're more alluding to avoiding the tax man rather than being a seller/shop on adverts which is a fair point. (though I'm sure revenue would allow a few dinosaur stickers to slip by :) )

As a legitimate seller (in the sense of being kosher with my income) I looked into being a shop on adverts, but the fees they charge are quite expensive, especially on higher priced goods.

Easier to just sell as a normal seller for the €2/3 they charge per sale above €50/60 or whatever. This would be true for a lot of sellers who are essentially a business/shop. I know at one point I looked into it they wanted a fee per sale, then a percentage of the sale price. So if I sold a PC for say, €1,500, they would get €100+.

It's a balancing thing. Being a shop generally = more business but costs a lot more per sale.

No, not really talking about the tax man at all, that would be whole different kettle of fish, and as you said selling a few dinosaur stickers would hardly be a major fraud. I think I am more just harking back to the (long-gone) days of when you weren't meant to be making a profit on stuff you sold on adverts, or you had to be registered as a shop if you were selling stuff with that intention.

from their T&Cs: You are considered a Shop if you are representing a sole-trader, partnership, company or are selling goods in order to make a profit.

Shops are welcome to advertise on Adverts.ie but must first contact us through our registration form here. Any commercial sellers not officially registered with a Shop account will be temporarily removed until resolved.

We reserve the right to refuse or end Shop subscriptions at any time.

Shops must adhere to the Consumer Protection Act 2007, the Sale of Good Acts 1980 and all other relevant legislations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

No, not really talking about the tax man at all, that would be whole different kettle of fish, and as you said selling a few dinosaur stickers would hardly be a major fraud. I think I am more just harking back to the (long-gone) days of when you weren't meant to be making a profit on stuff you sold on adverts, or you had to be registered as a shop if you were selling stuff with that intention.

from their T&Cs: You are considered a Shop if you are representing a sole-trader, partnership, company or are selling goods in order to make a profit.

Shops are welcome to advertise on Adverts.ie but must first contact us through our registration form here. Any commercial sellers not officially registered with a Shop account will be temporarily removed until resolved.

We reserve the right to refuse or end Shop subscriptions at any time.

Shops must adhere to the Consumer Protection Act 2007, the Sale of Good Acts 1980 and all other relevant legislations.

Very difficult to prove that you are selling for profit.

What's to say that you accidentally ordered 10 dinosaur stickers instead of the 1 you just wanted. You'll just have to sell 9 of them. Oh dear!!

I think those are fairly outdated terms though, adverts has long moved from a community sales site (and I bought and sold an enormous amount of stuff on the for sale section of boards back in the day, it was a fantastic resource) to a driven commercial venture. If they forced all commercial sellers to commit to the shop format, they'd lose a massive amount of revenue and drive people towards the like of donedeal and they know that.

I've often suggested that certain forums should have a community sales section that functions very similar to the airsoft sales forum, in that it's a buy and sell forum based on non-profit and community spirit, but this would eat into adverts income so would be a no-go I would imagine. It's only potential legal issues that keep the airsoft sales forum where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't worry about DoneDeal the feedback on adverts is one of the main reason I'd look there first.
    There's no way DoneDeal would go down that route it'd be carnage. Donedeal doesn't give 2 hoots about buyer safety.

If a seller could block a buyer once the make a stupid offer and continue to or delete their posts on the advert it would be great rather than having to make a new ad. It's not a biggie but something should stop people saying I can get it cheaper in Nigeria so your a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

I use adverts all the time to buy and sell. I find it great. You'll get the odd person asking for trades, but it's hardly a big deal.

I think those are fairly outdated terms though, adverts has long moved from a community sales site (and I bought and sold an enormous amount of stuff on the for sale section of boards back in the day, it was a fantastic resource) to a driven commercial venture. If they forced all commercial sellers to commit to the shop format, they'd lose a massive amount of revenue and drive people towards the like of donedeal and they know that.

I've often suggested that certain forums should have a community sales section that functions very similar to the airsoft sales forum, in that it's a buy and sell forum based on non-profit and community spirit, but this would eat into adverts income so would be a no-go I would imagine. It's only potential legal issues that keep the airsoft sales forum where it is.

Those are their 'current terms' but like the rest of the rules of the site, they don't seem to be implemented. It is probably because they would lose a lot of sellers if they did implement them though like you said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Adverts is totally separate from boards nowadays, there is nothing to stop boards forums setting up buy and sell sections apart from mods not having the experience to run them well. There are are plenty of examples where it works here right now, and I'm glad you cited Airsoft adverts as that took a lot of work to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wanted to avail of their support but they closed their first support forum on boards and then the second and now support is just a mail address with zero transparency.
    I suppose you're just supposed to buy stuff and shut up.

biko wrote: »
    Wanted to avail of their support but they closed their first support forum on boards and then the second and now support is just a mail address with zero transparency.
    I suppose you're just supposed to buy stuff and shut up.

You are just supposed to pay to sell stuff and shut up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You are just supposed to pay to sell stuff and shut up! :D

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...from their T&Cs: You are considered a Shop if you are representing a sole-trader, partnership, company or are selling goods in order to make a profit..

I queried a seller with thousands of ads was actually a shop, (and I wanted to filter them out) and was told they weren't commercial. Even though all the stuff they were selling was new.

So I don't think they are interested. So theres no point in reporting anything for any reasaon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Its laughable how you still cant search multiple areas at once.

I've emailed this to them a few times, each time they fobbed me off saying the dev team are looking into it.

Judging by the urls in the browser when you select a county they've developed themselves into a corner and have said **** it.

Either that, or the more likely scenario. Ad Revenue

Forcing people to goto a new page to search a new area gived them more ad impressions per typical user session.

Suppose its built to make money, not be user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Another annoyance is people requesting something but not only not bothering to log back in for days afterwards but also not bothering switching on notifications.

So you accept the offer, wait days for a reply (with the stuff lying around that you want to get rid of - the reason you put the f&cking thing up in the first place), eventually cancel the acceptance after a few in-vain messages and give it to next person in line before original person finally decides to log in, loses the plot with you and threatens to/gives you spiteful feedback.

This actually happens for free stuff you're giving away as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Thing that really annoys me is the absolute rubbish people put in the free section and then to my surprise the amount of requests they get for the items and will to travel for eg 40 minutes for a
    Cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

How is it possible that a user has only 5 comments and 30 feedbacks?

I don't think offers count as comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

He could have just sold a lot of items, accepting the first offers that came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Korvanica wrote: »
    Its laughable how you still cant search multiple areas at once.

I've emailed this to them a few times, each time they fobbed me off saying the dev team are looking into it.

Judging by the urls in the browser when you select a county they've developed themselves into a corner and have said **** it.

Either that, or the more likely scenario. Ad Revenue

Forcing people to goto a new page to search a new area gived them more ad impressions per typical user session.

Suppose its built to make money, not be user friendly.

I tend to use the "Nearby" option in the app, which you can set to a certain radius (say 10K)

loyatemu wrote: »
    I tend to use the "Nearby" option in the app, which you can set to a certain radius (say 10K)

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

what do you all do in a scenario where a potential buyer has more positive than negative, but still a noticable chunk of negative feedback? just go with the gut? no deal?

I don't bother if its a lot of negative feedback. I'd say more than 5-10% A little bit is ok. As theres always people will negative feedback for unreasonable reasons, or sometimes things happen. I had one who wanted to do it because I didn't use "Dear Sir" in messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Christ some people are tight.

Selling a mic and the guy asks me how much to post and so I quote him €5. He agrees but says I need to pay the PayPal fees. Fair enough I say and then he says he won't send payment until I send him a photo of the AnPost receipt. I agree to this too and then when I do he sends payment but only gives me €4.20 for postage as that was how much An Post charged me.

Guess he thinks Easons hand out bubble wrap envelopes for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Had an item up afew weeks ago for 20 euro,a guy with decent feedback offered me 15. I accepted and said that I will include free standard postage and packing aswell.

We move to PM then he tells me that he wants registered post to be included in the 15 euro he offered,when I refused and tell him I was offering free standard postage and packing even though I didn't have to and if he wanted it registered then it would cost him an extra 5 euro.

He then said he wanted me to post the item first before he would pay as he had items go missing before on him so if it went missing then he doesn't get the item and I won't get paid. When I told him that I would only post when I have received payment he tells me that I am being too difficult to deal with... cheeky Cnut

Obviously the 420 positive feedbacks I have on adverts found me terrible to deal with aswell!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

reading some posts cracks me up :) ,the few times ive used adverts,would been for electronics mostly,and conversation would go ,offer amount and date when to meet etc if all well,then go trough,if cant agree on time line etc just say thx and wont waste persons time.

Now the part that i dont get is people offering free stuff ? whats the point,id have tons of stuff that needs getting rid off but to even think to put it online is complete time waste of task,otherwise if it was any use why not bring all crap to charity shops where people would put it to good benefit if it was worth it.

only time that was selling on adverts, it was note3 for someone else who couldn't make the meet,when went to meet up with person he popped his sim in,and at the time it didnt pick it up - he thought i was taking him for a ride,but little drama-eventually figured the phone wasn't cleaned in two years time,so mistake was on mine side for not checking beforehand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Had some user make a good offer and accepted it earlier, he then proceeded to ask questions on the item which were answerable on the description. What a donkey. I just gave up on him gave him negative feedback.
    These clowns need to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Had some user make a good offer and accepted it earlier, he then proceeded to ask questions on the item which were answerable on the description. What a donkey. I just gave up on him gave him negative feedback. These clowns need to wake up.

The law is an ass and so are advert users

Advertisement