Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think it's wise to be very careful with your address on adverts. Personally I won't deal with anyone with little or no feedback, and not long registered.

In your story the buyer might have been wary of you too.

Remember that it's easy to search all your ads and comments. And built up a profile of you. So unless it's a piano or something, your better meeting in a busy public space. Never giving your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Yeah lads, unless it's furniture you're selling, pick a landmark close to your home and meet there. The last thing you want is some scumbag demanding a refund and knowing where you live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Yeah lads, unless it's furniture you're selling, pick a landmark close to your home and meet there. The last thing you want is some scumbag demanding a refund and knowing where you live.

It was a free item and I'm a top seller with 100% Feedback by 150 people.

But yes, not going to give my address out anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

The beauty of Adverts is being able to tell the greedy, sob story, low-balling scum to go fcuk themselves.

It's the little things...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

My rule for selling on adverts is half off the retail price, even for items a few months old.....still get the low ballers, it can be frustrating but the genuine buyers don't be too far behind.

Other rule for me are if I am buying something I go to them, cant stand selling a item and someone says offer 50 less and you deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

We use it to get rid of a lot of stuff we don't want (Free) and it works well for that.

I do get amazed at the sheer tat that people will go to the bother of requesting and collecting though.

I picture them glued to the screen hitting F5 all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...I picture them glued to the screen hitting F5 all day.

Its the same in a lot of places. Some people have made a job out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

That's a livleyhood for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

One of the last items we put up was such a personal piece of tat (won't say what it was) that we actually had a small bet with each other that somebody would/would not actually go to the effort of collecting it.

Requested within 3 minutes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

My rule for selling on adverts is half off the retail price, even for items a few months old.....still get the low ballers, it can be frustrating but the genuine buyers don't be too far behind.

Other rule for me are if I am buying something I go to them, cant stand selling a item and someone says offer 50 less and you deliver.
    it works, because if you watch for instance a tablet for instance, i was looking a bush one, seller said it was only a month old, new price was 160, wanted 100, sold for around 40, why the hell dealing with nutters for two weeks then sell it for less than half the asking, i do have stuff up but i rarely budge on my price, i use the price i would have to give for one as the price i ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

We use it to get rid of a lot of stuff we don't want (Free) and it works well for that.

I do get amazed at the sheer tat that people will go to the bother of requesting and collecting though.

Jesus some of the crap people throw in the free section.

I've seen just from quick memory:

Waste timbers which looked like a hurricane had taken a shed asunder being given away as "fire wood", the kind of wood with nails sticking out of it that wouldn't burn long enough to heat a mouse.

Rubble from someone who'd had a building knocked down, being given away as useful for mixing with cement.

A pair of children's shoes that looked to be no less than a few years old, barely held together.

All in all my browsing through the free section is often met with people trying to shift old rubbish.

Mind you I got a pretty nice cream leather 3 seater off it one time so it's swings and roundabouts.

There's a one down in Cork that is giving away Free....drum roll......a plastic disposable razor holder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Dia1988 wrote: »
    There's a one down in Cork that is giving away Free....drum roll......a plastic disposable razor holder!!

I'll take it!!

Are you ever in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭johnny_tractor

97 micra for sale. 400 dollars

will fly thru the nct

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You're all just jealous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Gold still available op?

Oh my days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Link please???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭kyote00

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭893bet

kyote00 wrote: »

It ain't free. And that's quiet handy.

Swap for 3 straws. Only used once.

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair now that's not what it sounded like when you described it. I had pictured the little plastic holder Gillette razors come packaged. Those can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Ah to be fair now that's not what it sounded like when you described it. I had pictured the little plastic holder Gillette razors come packaged. Those can be useful.

I don't think that is the one the other poster was talking about, as that one is not in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Someone really needs this item fast. Can collect in the next hour

http://www.adverts.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jesus who ever gave Dubliners access to the internet should be beat with a blunt instrument.
    There idiots as buyers and sellers. Proved twice to me in the last 24hrs on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Jesus who ever gave Dubliners access to the internet should be beat with a blunt instrument.
    There idiots as buyers and sellers. Proved twice to me in the last 24hrs on adverts.

I'd expand that to the general public. There are idiots down around your area too.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Wheety wrote: »
    Someone really needs this item fast. Can collect in the next hour

http://www.adverts.ie/
    REQUESTED
    I can collect in the next hour
    Thank you very much can I collect in the next hour ? If that suits you
    I'm at the house the toilet wont fit sorry about that ill have to leave it im really sorry

What the hell?

Link please???

It was a month or so ago when I saw it and I can't find it now, but I know the Adverts.ie user as they have loads of free ****e currently including a sink plug, 3 A4 transparent pockets and an envelope?? I'd say she does it to get positive feedback but seriously she's got enough positivity now at 1600 plus positive ratings. Imagine if her account was suspended or deleted by accident.

http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/sink-bathtub-plug-fits-all/10541329

Above is the link for the Free used sink plug

The razor holder that she had was part of the original packaging it came in, not like that posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

I have a few of these, bought from Aliexpress for $0.80 each

Adverts seller is even using the same photos :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So what, though, to be fair? No-one is getting ripped off. Factory makes sticker for 30c, sells to wholesale for $1, wholesaler sells for $2 and person/retailer/cowboy sells in Ireland for €5-7. Everyone's happy and gets a good deal, no-one loses.

A "rip off" would be if you could buy it in the local shop for far less. Most people have zero interest in buying directly from China.

Advertisement