Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Boater123 wrote: »
    Or yer one who turns up an hour late at 21.30 to buy a like new chrome towel rad. Loves it, the best rad she has ever seen, exactly what she wanted and at such a good price, what a lovely home you have. Then you offer to put it in her car she says no, and drags it down the driveway.

A week later she's texting saying she wants a refund because she has bought a cheaper one somewhere else. When you explain you're not a shop and she scratched the fook out of it, she threatens coming back with big brothers and then the Gardaí.

Last time I used Adverts.

I'd never sell something from my home. Too many eejits and potential weirdos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Actually they will. Or if you click report, it will be looked at there aswell.

As a rule of thumb if you report a user with over 10 positives it gets ignored, bearing in mind they might just be from selling second hand penneys clothes or buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm always paranoid giving out my address, I always try and get an in-between place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

As a rule of thumb if you report a user with over 10 positives it gets ignored, bearing in mind they might just be from selling second hand penneys clothes or buying them.

Rubbish!

Great thread!
    I've just sold a couple of electrical items on Adverts. ie . First time selling anything online. Parcel tracking info said one was delivered this morning. Is it strange that the buyer didn't bother to let me know they got their item and all's well? Accordin to Adverts, the buyer was online recently.
    Or do most people not bother sending a quick ''thanks'' ??
    Just after reading about scammy buyers claiming their money back and paypal allowing it and it got me a bit worried!
    I think if it comes to it I'll close my Paypal account rather than let them scam me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Garzard

Just an update on my ad - was offered €120 yesterday, despite strongly underlying no offers below €200 - €220 is currently my asking price. Practically brand-new and never used since receiving it as a Christmas present which cost €280 in-store. Their reasoning was that they lived near my area and they could already get it delivered brand-new for €160 online.

Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot with my asking price, but I'm seriously considering giving up and withdrawing the ad at this stage. It's been up on that site over 3 months and with the exception of one person just asking if I'd sell a particular part of the item separately, I've only had time-wasters and unreasonable offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Garzard wrote: »
    Just an update on my ad - was offered €120 yesterday, despite strongly underlying no offers below €200 - €220 is currently my asking price. Practically brand-new and never used since receiving it as a Christmas present which cost €280 in-store. Their reasoning was that they lived near my area and they could already get it delivered brand-new for €160 online.

Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot with my asking price, but I'm seriously considering giving up and withdrawing the ad at this stage. It's been up on that site over 3 months and with the exception of one person just asking if I'd sell a particular part of the item separately, I've only had time-wasters and unreasonable offers.

TBH the only thing that matters is its RRP right now, what was paid at the time is totally irrelevent.

€120 sounds about right to be if it can be bought completely new for €160. The buyer will want a bit of a discount versus the RRP because if they paid the €160, then they could return it or have it replaced if anything breaks within a certain amount of time. For less, maybe they'll take a chance, but you have to look at t from a buyers point of view and not just your own.

I don't even know what item you're talking about, but its just basic common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep - If it genuinely can be bought for €160 new then the only thing unreasonable is your asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Many claim they can get a lot lower on-line price than is possible. If you knock them back they often come back. Which suggests they can't actually get the it cheaper on-line. If you check their profile they've probably commented the same on a load of other ads.

That said a lot of people ask for for way too much when selling items. Then say no offers. So no one makes any.

beauf wrote: »
    Many claim they can get a lot lower on-line price than is possible. If you knock them back they often come back. Which suggests they can't actually get the it cheaper on-line. If you check their profile they've probably commented the same on a load of other ads.

That said a lot of people ask for for way too much when selling items. Then say no offers. So no one makes any.

Nothing wrong with asking them to provide the link to where its available more cheaply, or doing a quick google yourself. If you're getting tumbleweeds, maybe its not them, its you.

I recently wanted the complete box set of the sopranos. Many had it on offer for €100+ with the justification that "well I paid €120 for it so I'm not letting it go for less than €100"..... Its available for £50 on Amazon or €60 on HMV.ie

Complete waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

beauf wrote: »

You'd often see ads where someone is asking for €20 less than the RRP, forgetting that shops are bound by consumer rights law and most people are happy to pay extra for the piece of mind.

They then get upset when someone offers well below the asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In a lot of cases its cheaper in the shop than in the ad.

Messing on both sides.

There used to be a rule you could post a link to the item online cheaper and people had to sell it for less.

They removed that rule though, a long time.

Forgot to mention, I did actually end up buying it on adverts.... for €25 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Great thread!
    I've just sold a couple of electrical items on Adverts. ie . First time selling anything online. Parcel tracking info said one was delivered this morning. Is it strange that the buyer didn't bother to let me know they got their item and all's well? Accordin to Adverts, the buyer was online recently.
    Or do most people not bother sending a quick ''thanks'' ??
    Just after reading about scammy buyers claiming their money back and paypal allowing it and it got me a bit worried!
    I think if it comes to it I'll close my Paypal account rather than let them scam me.

Scamming on adverts.ie?

bigpink wrote: »
    Scamming on adverts.ie?

I don't know? I'm not scamming anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

http://touch.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/u-wont-come-across-these-every-day/10604766

I think the title might be accurate :)

The little disclaimer at the end of the description made me chuckle. Caveat emptor indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

it sure is a joke. I was selling a book for 5 euro, it cost 15 new and is like new. someone offered me 5 euro,I said postage was 4.50, i accepted and asked them would they like me to post it to them. they said could the 5 euro include the cost of postage. the recession has created some right miserable misers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

You put an item up for €1k and you get morons offering 350-450... Unreal seeing as the item is already €200-€300 cheaper than any other adverts listing of the exact same item..

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You put an item up for €1k and you get morons offering 350-450... Unreal seeing as the item is already €200-€300 cheaper than any other adverts listing of the exact same item..

Offer €350 as my friend says it's not worth more than that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Had an iPhone 6s white 64gb unlocked to all networks up, still in wrapping hadn't even been unboxed and I was selling it for €600 - I accept offer of 600, meet up, he has all the money there, unwraps the phone takes everything out and puts his sim in etc, then has the balls to say well seeing as it's opened it's not worth 600 anymore I'll give you 450 after this inspection, he was dead serious as well.

Told him to F off booted him out of my car, had it sold to someone else for full asking price of 600 within an hour, person I sold it to said your man is notorious for pulling that kind of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Had an iPhone 6s white 64gb unlocked to all networks up, still in wrapping hadn't even been unboxed and I was selling it for €600 - I accept offer of 600, meet up, he has all the money there, unwraps the phone takes everything out and puts his sim in etc, then has the balls to say well seeing as it's opened it's not worth 600 anymore I'll give you 450 after this inspection, he was dead serious as well.

Told him to F off booted him out of my car, had it sold to someone else for full asking price of 600 within an hour, person I sold it to said your man is notorious for pulling that kind of crap.

Name and shame please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I sold a pine door for 30 euro on adverts a year ago, i was selling at 30 for a quick sale, i was looking through other ads for pine doors on adverts, I saw someone was selling a lovely pine door for 10 euro, I thought that was very cheap, then saw that someone offered 5 euro for it. I would rather chop it up for fire wood than sell it for 5 euro to some miserable git like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Please leave the above as his feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I made the mistake on donedeal to advertise with my phone number instead of mail.

The amount of chancers that would text, not to engage in meaningful conversation, but to simply try to haggle like idiots:

"wats ur best price?!"
    "bottom price!"

I'd rather sell for half price to someone with an ounce of manners than to some eejit that think I'll drop price after a text like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Several times I have offered the asking price AND was first in the queue for a collectible item, but didnt get it because someone mysteriously offered the seller more money which is against the rules, but adverts team dont seem to want to do anything about it, adverts is an auction website, despite what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,770 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

TOMP wrote: »
    Several times I have offered the asking price AND was first in the queue for a collectible item, but didnt get it because someone mysteriously offered the seller more money which is against the rules, but adverts team dont seem to want to do anything about it, adverts is an auction website, despite what they say.

is that still against the rules? I thought a lot of the old Boards rules had been abandoned and it was largely up to the seller who they sold to and for how much. Had your offers been accepted in those cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I have bought and sold a couple of times from Adverts.

The amount of things I have bought from people who "withdraw" the item or leave it still for sale annoys the bollox off me.

Just mark it sold and give me good feedback you cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

McGruber wrote: »

The amount of things I have bought....
    Does not compute.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Esel wrote: »
    Does not compute.

Turn it off and back on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭The Davestator

McGruber wrote: »

The amount of things I have bought from people who "withdraw" the item or leave it still for sale annoys the bollox off me.

Just mark it sold and give me good feedback you cnuts.

They dont have to pay the fee is they dont mark it as sold. Silly system, but that's the system thats there

Advertisement