Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is selling on adverts.ie a joke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Put a couple of bikes up for free the other day. My Jaysus it was hard work!

I wanted it gone ASAP, so picked the first person within 50 miles of my house (who was second in anyway) and got rounded on by the Munster person who was first in! Wouldnt let it go at all. Next time i put something up for free, I'll leave it out the front of the house and the first person who gets it, gets it!

Put them in front of someone elses house and watch from afar! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Stick a lock on it gone in seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Put them in front of someone elses house and watch from afar! ;)
    Actually, set up a treasure hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 system_538781

Got a great giggle out of this. From the freebie section

"little tikes trike

Not in great condition but still working.in return for 1 pinneapple for my kids."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

"what's the lowest price you'll take?"...eh, that's not how negotiation works mate

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

waraf wrote: »
    "what's the lowest price you'll take?"...eh, that's not how negotiation works mate

What's the lowest price you'd take?
    Offer 6.

I advertised a guitar for sale recently and when the guy came to check it out he asked if I would mind if he plugged it into my amp to try it out. I said fire ahead and directed him to the back room where the amp is. The f**ker was in there for an hour and a half and then finally came back out to the sitting room where I was. I made him a cup of tea and we chatted about guitars and stuff for a while. As soon as he finished his tea he said "well I'd better get back to it" and went into the back room again and played the thing for another bloody hour!! I eventually had to interrupt to tell him that I wanted to go to bed!!

Did he buy it?

Did he buy it?

Yeah in fairness he did buy it in the end. It's still a bit weird trying out a guitar in someone's house for close to 3 hours though. Surely you would know if a guitar is alright or not in the first 15 minutes!

Yeah in fairness he did buy it in the end. It's still a bit weird trying out a guitar in someone's house for close to 3 hours though. Surely you would know if a guitar is alright or not in the first 15 minutes!

Oh I hear you. But imagine if he said "thanks but I think I'll leave it" after that test drive? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Put a couple of bikes up for free the other day. My Jaysus it was hard work!

I wanted it gone ASAP, so picked the first person within 50 miles of my house (who was second in anyway) and got rounded on by the Munster person who was first in! Wouldnt let it go at all. Next time i put something up for free, I'll leave it out the front of the house and the first person who gets it, gets it!

I remember my dad trying to get rid of his old caravan after buying a campervan. 2 weeks of people swearing they'd take it and not bothering to follow up. I told him to put it up for €700 and to take any offer. By the end of the day it was gone and he had €500. People just don't value free stuff, but if they think they are getting a bargain they're all over it.

I've had a pretty good week on Adverts myself. Meeting a lad later to sell my old MacBook. If it goes through I'll have shifted over €700 worth of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Adverts has gone down big time recently alright, a lot of time wasters, I had one recently, I was selling some comics, volume 18-21, buyer makes a bid, I am happy, he then comes back and says sorry I am looking for volume 2. I am pretty sure 2 doesn't exist between 18 and 21..

At least he apologized though.

Might be an idea to not allow bidding until you have sold something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Buy & Sell is gone - morphed into appliancesdelivered.ie :confused:
    In years to come you'll read about 'Buy & Sell' in business textbooks under the heading of "Businesses that failed to understand the Internet".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Coles wrote: »
    In years to come you'll read about 'Buy & Sell' in business textbooks under the heading of "Businesses that failed to understand the Internet".

You could add this 'no-hoper' http://www.traderight.ie that was launched with a big radio campaign a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The amount of 1916 shyte is beyond a joke. A bog standard penny for €50. Seriously.
    No doubt Pearse's loose change.

http://www.adverts.ie/coins/1916-one-penny-coin-rare-collectable/10497492

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

With the close of the adverts support forum, I thought I'd post this here:

Posted a PS4 game to a guy after he paid via Paypal.

He should have gotten the game on Tuesday. He messaged me saying it still hasn't arrived and to contact the post office and that he will expect a refund soon.

I replied telling him that there is nothing they can do as it was via standard post (he paid like €2.50 for post and neither of us mentioned registered post during the transaction)

I also basically said that he isn't getting a refund and to give it a few more days and that my feedback speaks for itself in terms of being a legit adverts user (150 positive, 5 negative)

Where do I go from here guys? I simply refuse to refund him unless I physically have the game in my hand.

I don't suspect him of trying to scam me btw.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    With the close of the adverts support forum, I thought I'd post this here:

He should have gotten the game on Tuesday. He messaged me saying it still hasn't arrived and to contact the post office and that he will expect a refund soon.

I replied telling him that there is nothing they can do as it was via standard post (he paid like €2.50 for post and neither of us mentioned registered post during the transaction)

I also basically said that he isn't getting a refund and to give it a few more days and that my feedback speaks for itself in terms of being a legit adverts user (150 positive, 5 negative)

Where do I go from here guys? I simply refuse to refund him unless I physically have the game in my hand.

Did you get a receipt when you posted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Unfortunately it may be out of your hands, PayPal will refund him with your money without proof of delivery :(

I got a receipt but I'm so used to having zero problems buying and selling that I just threw it out.

Yeah I'm pretty sure paypal will refund him too. But I received a ps4 game recently about 10 days late so I'm hoping that it's the same situation here.

I'll keep receipts from now on and probably insist on them paying for registered post..on expensive items anyway.

The price of sale was about €25

I got a receipt but I'm so used to having zero problems buying and selling that I just threw it out.

Yeah I'm pretty sure paypal will refund him too. But I received a ps4 game recently about 10 days late so I'm hoping that it's the same situation here.

I'll keep receipts from now on and probably insist on them paying for registered post..on expensive items anyway.

The price of sale was about €25

They'll (adverts AND PayPal) side with him unfortunately. :(

You have no proof he didn't receive it. You have no proof you sent it (not doubting you btw!). Even if you had a receipt saying you posted it that doesn't mean he received it. :(

I fell foul to this BS on eBay.

He possibly/probably did get it and is scamming you, but it's your word against his.

• Advertisement

They'll (adverts AND PayPal) side with him unfortunately. :(

You have no proof he didn't receive it. You have no proof you sent it (not doubting you btw!). Even if you had a receipt saying you posted it that doesn't mean he received it. :(

I fell foul to this BS on eBay.

He possibly/probably did get it and is scamming you, but it's your word against his.

He has no bad feedback and we had a small chat about PS4 games so he seems like a nice guy, I doubt he got it..yet

I've no money in my PayPal or bank account atm, what's gonna happen if he reports me and I've no money in it? What's to stop me just closing my account and setting up a new account?

I wouldn't lose my adverts account if 4 years and waste tien setting up a new paypal all for a snappy €25, it's just pissing me off. Maybe he will be understandable and wait a little longer as he does seem nice like I mentioned above.

Edit: he basically said my feedback or personal experiences mean nothing to him and that he will give it another week.

Fair enough..I guess it's the best I can hope for for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

He has no bad feedback and we had a small chat about PS4 games so he seems like a nice guy, I doubt he got it..yet

I've no money in my PayPal or bank account atm, what's gonna happen if he reports me and I've no money in it? What's to stop me just closing my account and setting up a new account?

I wouldn't lose my adverts account if 4 years and waste tien setting up a new paypal all for a snappy €25, it's just pissing me off. Maybe he will be understandable and wait a little longer as he does seem nice like I mentioned above.

Edit: he basically said my feedback or personal experiences mean nothing to him and that he will give it another week.

Fair enough..I guess it's the best I can hope for for now.

Send an email into support@adverts.ie anyway. They will look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

dubgurl wrote: »
    Reply on the listing:
    How close are we talking? very close?

Clarify a bit for the lols??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Send an email into support@adverts.ie anyway. They will look at it.

They will in their hole, since the talk to forum is gone Adverts is gone to shiit altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

They will in their hole, since the talk to forum is gone Adverts is gone to shiit altogether.

Why have they gotten rid of the talk to forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had my first adverts experience only recently. Bought a car and sold my old one in the space of 48 hours, so I was pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dard23 wrote: »
    Why have they gotten rid of the talk to forum?
    Separation of powers between Church and State, or between Legislature and Executive. Take your pick, but be quick.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm not sure why people think this is limited to adverts. The majority of people are chancers to one degree or another and the amount of time wasting that goes on with the sale of anything by anyone to anyone is enormous. Doing more than about 5 minutes in any sales job will tell you that.

It's the reason sales jobs exist in the first place. How difficult is it to google 'best TV for €500 37" ' and read a few reviews. Then google 'Panasonic XYZ1234L' and then go and buy the fecking thing? No instead people turn up to DID/Harvey Norman/Power City et al having done feck all research and then moan when they've got sold what was on spiv that week by a 'pushy' salesperson who's only pushy because 95% of people are just wasting time.

It's really not that had to just not answer or say 'Thanks for the offer but no' on adverts is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

People should be banned from it if they ignore explicit requests for No Swaps in your ad description. Or stupidly lowball offers.

That would result in only 10 or less people on adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Actually they will. Or if you click report, it will be looked at there aswell.

Advertisement