Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five dead in Buncrana accident

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

murpho999 wrote: »
    Awful tragedy, but did this really happen to you?

Never had anything in the news give me bad dreams.
    Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean other people can't experience it.
    Actually, common advice to avoid nightmares is to not watch the news just before going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,031 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah so what like just cause you didn't doesn't mean others don't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean other people can't experience it.
    Actually, common advice to avoid nightmares is to not watch the news just before going to bed.
    Yeah so what like just cause you didn't doesn't mean others don't

That's why I asked the question. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just after reading what a witness said,the suv started to slide as the driver shouted to him to call the coastguard and the feeling of helplessness as it slid into the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

From RTE:

An eye witness has described how he shouted to the driver of the car when it was caught on the slipway of the pier.

Francis Crawford said the driver asked him to call the coast guard, which he did, but that within ten minutes the car had disappeared.

Having shouted to your man for help, ten mins sounds like a awfully long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

NIMAN wrote: »
    Apparently it was a Derry family.
    The mother of the baby that survived is meant to be in England on a weekend away.
    She lost her partner, her mother, her sister and her 2 other children.

May she find the strength to continue for her baby.

Perhaps the only tiny shred of good news is that the baby who survived will not end up an orphan.
    May the poor mother somehow find the strength to get through this awful tragedy
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I really have no reason to lie about that. I've become a lot more sensitive to this stuff since having a child of my own, I don't know why but there are certain things I just can't read/watch anymore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Terrible terrible tragedy. The panic involved. Jesus. :( That someone had the strength to pass the child out, but you'd wonder why others wouldn't have tried to get out of the car? Panic I suppose and if the engine had stopped the electric windows wouldn't work and no way are you opening a car door underwater anytime soon. Plus they may have felt "safer" staying with the car. I can't even begin to imagine what was going through their heads RIP :(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dolbert wrote: »
    I've become a lot more sensitive to this stuff since having a child of my own
    I've heard that from other parents too D. It's very common and completely natural with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really have no reason to lie about that. I've become a lot more sensitive to this stuff since having a child of my own, I don't know why but there are certain things I just can't read/watch anymore.

Did not mean to come across as accusing you of lying, just can't imagine dreaming about a news event.

Thanks for you answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

From RTE:

An eye witness has described how he shouted to the driver of the car when it was caught on the slipway of the pier.

Francis Crawford said the driver asked him to call the coast guard, which he did, but that within ten minutes the car had disappeared.

Having shouted to your man for help, ten mins sounds like a awfully long time

I'm sure it was like 10 hours for both the helpless bystander and the driver of the car
    How many times can you repeat to a screaming panicking car that help is on its way?
    This is one of the worst stories I've ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

Have found the same also since having kids. Heard Prince William talk about this recently also. I guess with these tragedies you envisage yourself/your kids in the same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    Have found the same also since having kids. Heard Prince William talk about this recently also. I guess with these tragedies you envisage yourself/your kids in the same scenario.
    I guess it makes tragedies a lot more relatable. Before having children, about the worst thing you can imagine happening, is dying. And when you hear of other people dying, you can tell yourself, "That would never happen to me, I'd never get myself into that situation".

After having children, the worst thing you can imagine happening, is them dying. And having to watch it happening. It's about a thousand times more terrifying than the thought of your own death. And it's impossible to convince yourself that these things wouldn't happen to you; how many parents have gone off on a stag or hen and left someone else in charge? It's the feeling that this could happen to you that makes certain incidents all the more nauseating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭MadJack2016

Wibbs wrote: »
    Terrible terrible tragedy. The panic involved. Jesus. :( That someone had the strength to pass the child out, but you'd wonder why others wouldn't have tried to get out of the car? Panic I suppose and if the engine had stopped the electric windows wouldn't work and no way are you opening a car door underwater anytime soon. Plus they may have felt "safer" staying with the car. I can't even begin to imagine what was going through their heads RIP :(

The way to get out of a sinking car is to open all the windows. An air pocket will form in the end of the vehicle above the water as it fills up and dips under. The secret is to climb out through the front windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,251 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

That story is horrific. I just read it on The Irish Times

:(

R.I.P. And deepest sympathies with everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I am very sorry for the families involved and especially sorry for poor mother who has lost so many of her family.
    To lose partner, mother and sister is bad enough, but to lose two children as well.

I know this may not be a popular opinion at this time, but I have to ask why would you drive onto the slipway with a car full of people and children?
    Surely the only reason for people to drive on that slipway would be to load/unload a boat?

I always ask the same question when I hear of people washed off piers and rocks in stormy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

jmayo wrote: »
    I am very sorry for the families involved and especially sorry for poor mother who has lost so many of her family.
    To lose partner, mother and sister is bad enough, but to lose two children as well.

I know this may not be a popular opinion at this time, but I have to ask why would you drive onto the slipway with a car full of people and children?
    Surely the only reason for people to drive on that slipway would be to load/unload a boat?

I always ask the same question when I hear of people washed off piers and rocks in stormy conditions.
    Plenty do it for better views, the council should have had warning signs up as it was common knowledge among local people about the algae build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've heard that from other parents too D. It's very common and completely natural with it.

This is the first tragedy since I became a parent and I can say this has affected more than other tragedies.

This tragedy was survivable if the occupants had known what do in such a situation.
    I watched Bear Grylls Worse Case Scenario and an old TV sketch where comedian Dave Allen and guest were dropped into a water tank inside a car. There are two schools of thought it would seem. In the first case roll the windows down or break the glass and allow the car to fill up and then get out through the windows or in the second case sit calmly in the car and let it fill up and then open the car doors when you are underwater after taking a gulp of air. Counter intuitively you should NOT unbuckle your seat belt because you will float to the top as the car is filling up. If you wait until the car is full submerged and then unbuckle your belt you will more easily get out. Once you are out you can get to the surface by kicking. When kids are in the car the bigger kids go first ahead of the smaller kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

Plenty do it for better views, the council should have had warning signs up as it was common knowledge among local people about the algae build up.

Correct, as soon as I heard there was an incident of a vehicle in the water my first assumption was that another car had slid in from the slipway, its happened before...I live close by so I know its a known problem..

Prayers are with the deceased and the poor girl coming home:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

This tragedy was survivable if the occupants had known what do in such a situation.
    I watched Bear Grylls Worse Case Scenario and an old TV sketch where comedian Dave Allen and guest were dropped into a water tank inside a car. There are two schools of thought it would seem. In the first case roll the windows down or break the glass and allow the car to fill up and then get out through the windows or in the second case sit calmly in the car and let it fill up and then open the car doors when you are underwater after taking a gulp of air. Counter intuitively you should NOT unbuckle your seat belt because you will float to the top as the car is filling up. If you wait until the car is full submerged and then unbuckle your belt you will more easily get out. Once you are out you can get to the surface by kicking. When kids are in the car the bigger kids go first ahead of the smaller kids.

Mythbusters did it too. Same results. I'd like to think I'd remember exactly what i should do but in reality, if panic sets in, I'd have no idea how I'd actually react. Such a horrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

don't think a shocked untrained brain could do any of these things hitting cold atlantic water in the dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Horrendous tragedy. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

jmayo wrote: »

I used to be on slipways quite a bit when I was younger, helping my father with his boat. It wasn't unusual to see people coming out to get better views etc and then getting stuck on the incline and requiring a tow.

Despite the fact I was always around water, I was always relatively scared at the prospect of things going wrong. If things go south quickly, you have give or take 30 seconds to get out safely before being submerged to the point where the pressure seals the doors and windows to the frame.

My heart goes out to the mother and all the family members, including the brave soul that assisted in getting the baby to safety. That's not something you can ever forget nor something any mother/father should ever have to face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why aren't all Irish flags at half-mast today?
    Are five Irish dead people in Berkeley less important than five Irish dead people in Buncrana?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

don't think a shocked untrained brain could do any of these things hitting cold atlantic water in the dark

Yep, 2 young kids and a teenager as well. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well since we live in a maritime country and we regularly get swollen rivers and floods and there have been a number of these tragedies in recent years this scenario should be thought as part of road safety. Too late for these victims but everyone should know what do in the event of being trapped in a sinking car same as we should know how to evacuate safely from a fire or how to administer mouth to mouth or pump somebody's chest if they have a heart attack etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

This is literally the stuff of my nightmares - I've always had a terrible fear of driving on piers. Ever since I've owned a car I've carried something like this within reach of the driver's seat at all times. Not sure I'd have the presence of mind to use it, but at least it's there. You can pick them up in Argos/Halfords/lots of places.

• Advertisement

The kids were more than likely in the back part of the suv. The Windows don't usually wind down only slightly open at one side. It isn't the easiest of areas to get out of normally either, you have to climb over the base of the seat in front.

Heart wrenching stuff, I imagine the adults trying to get the kids from the back first and them all running out of time :(

RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement