Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five dead in Buncrana accident

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

So very sorry to hear this awful news. It's especially sad when you hear of a little child's death. I've a little boy myself and its terrible to think of what's happened to those little boys. May they all Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This is one of the saddest things I've read in a long time. Those poor people :( Rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rip

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My god that is heartbreaking news. Life is so fragile now when we hear things like this when it shouldn't be.

RIP to all who died. I hope the small baby survives the horrible incident in hospital and makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Gave my kids a little bit of an extra hug tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

So sad...baby passed out the window and then then they proceed to drown. So sad. :( I can't imagine the horror they must have faced knowing they were in such trouble. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

so sad, God help them. rip

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

So sad...baby passed out the window and then then they proceed to drown. So sad. :( I can't imagine the horror they must have faced knowing they were in such trouble. :(

And indeed the horror of the poor people who witnessed this and tried to rescue those poor souls.An unimaginable horror that will live with them always.

Many those poor people RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

May they rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Apparently it was a Derry family.
    The mother of the baby that survived is meant to be in England on a weekend away.
    She lost her partner, her mother, her sister and her 2 other children.

May she find the strength to continue for her baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

NIMAN wrote: »
    The mother of the baby that survived is meant to be in England on a weekend away.

Oh sweet Jesus!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

NIMAN wrote: »

Oh God. It's unimaginable. Rest in peace and strength to their loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What a horrific tragedy. One of the worst news stories I've read in a very long time. I was reading the report from a witness this morning and it was horrendous, it will stay with me for a long time. What an awful way to die, those last moments must have been so terrifying :( I hope the poor little baby pulls through. My heart goes out to the witness(es), I can't imagine ever getting over seeing something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Mix of family was from Derry - but the good news (I guess) is that the surviving child seems to be doing okay in Letterkenny Hospital.
    Hopefully the child makes a full recovery so the mother has someone left in the world. Its just such a sad story :(
    Apparently the family were from my exact area, I really hope I did not know them or that my family knows them.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

We had just arrived home from our own holiday there when we read this, it's unimaginable that poor woman. My heart is broken for her. Really tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jesus that poor woman - losing her partner, two of her children, her mother and her sister all in one freak accident, while she was away enjoying herself on a hen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jesus that poor woman - losing her partner, two of her children, her mother and her sister all in one freak accident, while she was away enjoying herself on a hen :(

I'm in tears reading about it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heard this breaking last night, and in the early hours, not sure what to make of it. Listening then to a bystanders account on the incident, describing what sounds like a tragic accident, a frantic cry for help, and the rescue of the infant, on Newstalk this morning, I was welling up in the car.

Anyone with kids, give them an extra hug this morning, I know I would if I had any.

Hopefully the infant can pull though, and absolute kudos to the man who risked his own life to rescue it. Hopefully everybody in Buncrana and Derry is queuing up to thank him.

RIP in peace to the deceased, and coldances to all.

I haven't been as absorbed in anything on the radio as I was with that interview with that Crawford man on both Newstalk and RTÉ Radio 1 this morning. I was driving on autopilot only realising when the interview was over that I had driven so far. Spinechilling stuff as he recounted the 2-year-old baby being handed from the car to the man who dived in to save it, how the swimmer himself was in a terrible state when he arrived back, and how the remaining 5 people (all from Derry, it appears) in the car perished after. My entire body had goose pimples.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I just can't imagine the horror of that situation, a normal day out turning into a nightmare in seconds. It's really bothered me, I don't know why. I'm usually very good at not letting tragic stories get to me but this one has really hit a nerve. The poor woman, I hope her baby pulls through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I said a prayer last night for the first time in years. The interview on the radio was hard to listen to. It just doesn't bear thinking about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Presumably the children were strapped in. I wonder was the tragedy made worse by the adults having to unstrap the children to get them out of the car? I have often thought that what is supposed to be a safety measure could turn out to be a bigger danger in the event of a fire or if a car goes into water.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Christ almighty, horrific. Having spent a lot of time around boats I can see how it would happen, algae can be literally more slippery than ice, I've seen 4x4s getting absolutely no purchase on slipways. Hideous accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

RIP to those that died. It puts everything else into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Those poor wee children, not to mention the adults desperately trying to save them and themselves. An awful tragedy for everyone involved.

Definitely hugged my little one a bit tighter last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

eviltwin wrote: »
    I just can't imagine the horror of that situation, a normal day out turning into a nightmare in seconds. It's really bothered me, I don't know why. I'm usually very good at not letting tragic stories get to me but this one has really hit a nerve. The poor woman, I hope her baby pulls through.

Same. I had nightmares about it last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh god what an awful way to go. :(
    That poor baby and it's mother.
    Unimaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had initially assumed it was intentional, almost seems even more horrific that it was just pure bad luck. Incredibly tragic.

I know nothing about nautical matters, but surely it would make sense, especially in light of this, to place barriers across public slipways so they can only be opened by people with a key? Warnings about slippery surfaces are all well and good, but people will park on them if they can't find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Listening to Sean O'Rourke show - this is the third time I've heard this guy interviewed this morning.

Maybe it's therapeutic for him to talk it out over and over, I don't know - but there's something gratuitous at this stage about the saturation coverage of this tragedy.

Report the incident by all means, but this digging for every little tragic detail is just distasteful IMO.

RIP to all involved, and condolences to all left behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dolbert wrote: »
    Same. I had nightmares about it last night.

Awful tragedy, but did this really happen to you?

Never had anything in the news give me bad dreams.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement