Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

I lost interest at that stage. I'm bored of texting- it's no way to find out if you're compatible with someone.

Yeah. Especially if you're a woman where several men might interest you texting them back would take a lot of time. Would be nice just to sort something and know you'll know more at the end of the week or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I tried online dating a few years ago, I filled out my profile, I really wanted to see the best in a guy and give him a chance,

I went on a first date with a guys who:

1. Shamed me for not going for a Masters (he was a Phd student)

2. Couldn't stop talking about his ex

3. Brought me a gift and then got upset because I didn't bring him a "first date gift"

4. A sweet guy who was perfect but there was no chemistry, dang.

I gave up on online dating for a while until I set up another profile and decided to stop trying so hard to seem appealing and make "something real" happen and message people for a bit of witty banter.

I got replies back like "lol u r funny" or "whiskey is an unusual thing for a girl to like"...

Out of nowhere I get a message insulting my sunglasses, from a guy wearing sunglasses indoors...oh there was ammo to take the piss out of him, so I did.

What I got back in my inbox may be the funniest reply I have ever received.

A year and a half later we still make each other laugh.

I know a lot of people have no luck on those apps/websites so just like "real life" it's a bit of luck, being the best version of yourself and getting out there. If you go on online dates you could meet 10 people and the chances of meeting someone you click with is really low, if you're out meeting new people all the time your chances of meeting someone you click with are higher obviously. I dunno it's kind of a numbers game but also kind of a matter of knowing yourself and what you want.

That deos sound right craic tbf

It's really hard to take the piss outta someone/have craic with them by text...without coming across really badly as obviously they don't know you

Online dating is great craic!
    I've met people that I would never meet in ' real life'
    Haven't met anyone that I got together with yet, but have had fun meeting them all the same.
    I know people that have got married/ have kids now after meeting online.

I would love to meet someone I fancy though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

"Non Drinker"
    "Non Smoker"

And they have a photo of themselves with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I don't get why fellas (and presumably women) put pictures on their profiles of themselves with someone they were clearly going out with.

Always strikes me as very strange and tbh would put me off immediately.

I have recently dipped my toe back in.

Your success on a dating site has a lot to do with attitude. Keep an open mind and take much of it with a pinch of salt. There are a lot of really great men and women on there. Of course you'll get the chancers but that's the same as every other aspect of life.
    I'm lucky in the messages I receive. Mostly they are very nice and from men who seem decent skins. One of my favourite people in the world I met on a dating site.

There are of course things that bug me. Like you Maud the business of putting up a photo along with the ex is a turn off for me. I just don't get it. Then there are the blank profiles. At least fill out the detail section so I know if you are a 5'3, bible bashing, not wanting children, drug taking, weirdo! :p

Then there are the blank profiles. At least fill out the detail section so I know if you are a 5'3, bible bashing, not wanting children, drug taking, weirdo! :p

In the 'Tell me about yourself' section:

"I don't know what to write here. I don't know what to write here.I don't know what to write here.I don't know what to write here.I don't know what to write here.I don't know what to write here."

Cut & paste until the minimum character requirement is met. Jeez mate, conversation with you is going to be a blast!

maudgonner wrote: »
    In the 'Tell me about yourself' section:

Cut & paste until the minimum character requirement is met. Jeez mate, conversation with you is going to be a blast!

Aww man they are the worst!

I like profiles where I can get a sense of the person. If the six things that they cannot do without are water, oxygen, food, etc or phone, car keys, wallet then chances are we won't get a long.

I like profiles where I can get a sense of the person. If the six things that they cannot do without are water, oxygen, food, etc or phone, car keys, wallet then chances are we won't get a long.

You like aliens?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

You like aliens?

I like imagination and creativity :)

I like imagination and creativity :)

But not too much of an imagination. Don't want to meet someone away with the fairies ;)

But not too much of an imagination. Don't want to meet someone away with the fairies ;)

I'm all about the something different.

One of the best profiles I've ever seen on POF was where a guy did about 3 paragraphs of things he loves. Just a complete mind-dump of random stuff.

It made him seem so positive and lovely and you had so much that you could have chatted with him about in messages. He was a good 20 years older than me or I would have messaged him there & then. I still might!

I'm all about the something different.

You can PM me so ;)

You can PM me so ;)

I'm too auld for you :p

I'm too auld for you :p

No one is too old for me poly ;);)

No one is too old for me poly ;);)

Let me change that around a little. As a woman in her thirties there are quite a few who are too young for me :)

Let me change that around a little. As a woman in her thirties there are quite a few who are too young for me :)

Ahh, but aren't they the best ones online!!

• Advertisement

Perfect age for me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I might delete my profiles :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Perfect age for me. ;)

Have you ever heard about playing it cool?!

Have you ever heard about playing it cool?!

I'm straight up Lexie. ;)

What ya see is what ya get! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Online dating is a waste of time if you are really serious about meeting somebody because most of the women on these sites will have full inboxes. There's no way most women are going to bother reading through all the messages and looking at all the profiles and responding to them all and the likelihood of agreeing to a date just because they liked his photo and shared a few flirty texts is remote. So for most men and women on these sites its just a harmless game anyway. Do some people genuinely get together on these sites? Maybe. If you want to meet somebody and have a relationship you are going to have to meet them socially the old fashioned way.

I met my boyfriend of two years online. To say I love the man is an understatement. I actually messaged him first as I liked his interests and hobbies. The last two years have been a whirl wind and we've never been happier.

This concept of online dating being risky is over stated. Just like meeting someone on a night out, i could see within minutes if I fancied him or if it was awkward. The only positive being that unlike meeting on a night out , there was no drunken beer goggles or it being a hook up.

Tbh, I was so fed up of that scene, and like others, whilst I wanted to meet someone who wanted a relationship, I didn't force it either. And I met him. Part of me often wonders, what if I didn't message him, or he had met someone else online. But he didnt thank god. Point is, love is love regardless of where you find it. Just go in with an open mind.

A nice late thirties guy who can make me laugh.

That's not a big ask surely! And not boring. I want to dance until 3 am and crawl in to bed at 4. Then go climb a mountain the next day*

*maybe in two days

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

I think dating in general these days for men is hard now I'm all for equal rights equal pay, job opportunities,free abortions and everything equal for woman But I think feminists have created this cloud of suspicion around men I mean according to them we are all potential rapists. In my opinion the rise of radical feminisem is down to single mums now look if your in the unfortunate situation that the father of your kid or kids doesn't pay child maintenance or plays no part in your children lives that's sad but please stop blaming or harbouring a hatred for all men just because you had a bad experience

I've yet to meet these women you speak off. Generalisation much?

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

A nice late thirties guy who can make me laugh.

That's not a big ask surely! And not boring. I want to dance until 3 am and crawl in to bed at 4. Then go climb a mountain the next day*

*maybe in two days

:p

pm sent

XR3i wrote: »
    pm sent

You old charmer you :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭worded

Foreign girls have been the nicest dates I've gone on with. Like they are 50/50 in the meeting. Irish girls sometimes have this vibe that you are there to impress them, like being on Dragons Den.

With some Irish women you are too like their father, or not enough like their father etc

The ideal woman is half Irish and half another nationally

That way you get the personality, without the psychosis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement