Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Speedwell wrote: »
    Oh, sure they did, and do. Just look at the people who, forgive me, seem to think they can solve their "involuntary celibacy" problem by advocating that men enforce their "rights" against unwilling women. (I'm alluding to a certain person who is considered influential among a certain fringe group I'd rather not call undue attention to.)

Those lads don't blame the world, they blame feminism!

Yup. That's it lads. It's feminism and not your f*cking godawful personality that's holding you back! :D

I was always someone who found approaching random girls just a step too far personally... That fear of rejection. Could build a foundation with a base laid but you're severely limited in that sense.

I'm with my current GF through OD nearly 4 years.

Met my fair share of girls before that with mixed to bad outcomes.
    Always felt like packing it in but like a gamble, the next winner could be around the next corner.

Some things I learned that are worth following:

Don't meet someone without a picture; learned that the hard way, while I'm no Brad Pitt this girl was bottom of the barrel beyond belief... I could have walked past her(she said a lot never turned up, well that was because she held the pics and they saw her first) but at least saw the few hours out... Awful experience.

Don't talk to them for long; if they wont meet in a public setting after 1/2 weeks move on, I invested so much time and effort with girls who wouldn't take the next step and/or you meet and you see their pics were a nicer angle/no spark.

Don't commit to one; you can hit it off and spend all your time talking to one, you give them a commitment in a way "I want a date with you so I'll park talking to the rest"..... They'll likely find someone else inbetween and/or disappear midconvo and not return.
    Don't commit until you've met and it goes well, you owe a stranger nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FineFilly

had been dabbling up and down with online dating for a while,met some wasters and the amount of men who throw a tantrum for not replying(I never judge by their pic)whats the point wasting time but then met the soundest lad ,chatted for a while had loads of common interests ad click in general we met and all going great so far ,all my other long term relationships I had met in person and I can tell u its not always the best way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

I met my husband online nearly five years ago. Our first baby is due in a few months.

I did meet some strange people from it before meeting him but then the same could be said of people I met on pubs/clubs and most people I met were nice and genuine, just didn't click.

We didn't really go to the same places so don't think I would ever have met him otherwise. Very glad I tried online dating as he is perfect for me and I couldn't be happier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

bluewolf wrote: »
    hi

I'l take that completely non sarcastically as a compliment :P and highlight the was

Wibbs has sort of covered a bit of what I meant but I don't think it should be understated the difference that the patterns being more pronounced makes.

An averagely good looking girl more might get hit on a few times on a night out, on a dating site its everyday with lots of contact.
    Same with the guy sending out messages on a night out he might try chat up a handful of people but he might be spending everyday sending online messages.
    People don't think a nightclub is at all representative of all single people, online dating these days now its common does give more of that impression.
    Its fine if you have self-confidence (if your being ignored) or aren't narcissistic (if your getting loads of attention).
    The thing is a lot of younger people are using it now and that will create a warped/unrealistic impression of your self worth.

I'm not on a complete downer an about it as a thing I actually had a ball with it and met cool people but I see it has its badsides and how it can create a skewed viewpoint of the opposite sex (I love a good controversial gender war thread but prefer it kept to After Hours), as well as this meeting people in real life is weirdly actually easier IMO (and more fun!)

Personally I think the groups it aren't good for are respectively younger guys looking for casual things and 30+ sincere woman looking for relationships
    Shenshen wrote: »
    I wouldn't argue with the fact that there are more guys looking for some NSA than there would be women looking for just that.
    But I always thought that this was an honest reflection of real life, not something particular to dating sites?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Personally I think the groups it aren't good for are respectively younger guys looking for casual things and 30+ sincere woman looking for relationships

Gotta go for the older woman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

I tried online dating . My brother suggested it to me .

I had quiet a few messages from woman. But it was all new to me and i didnt reply. But one message stood out. This was summer 2014.

I started talking to a lady she is a couple of years older than me and i didnt know if that would be a problem
    and after 3 days talking/ texting we decided to meet up .

Something felt right about it . So i met her gave her a single red rose . Both sat there for a while didnt know what to say lol.
    After the nervs settled down .we got on great. I was seriously falling for her

She went home the next day . Didnt think i would ever see or here from her again

Now its 2016 The one lady who was the only one i decided to message back had been there for me through so much .

And who would of tought dec 2015 i married this beautiful lady

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭MadJack2016

Online dating is a waste of time if you are really serious about meeting somebody because most of the women on these sites will have full inboxes. There's no way most women are going to bother reading through all the messages and looking at all the profiles and responding to them all and the likelihood of agreeing to a date just because they liked his photo and shared a few flirty texts is remote.
    So for most men and women on these sites its just a harmless game anyway.
    Do some people genuinely get together on these sites? Maybe.
    If you want to meet somebody and have a relationship you are going to have to meet them socially the old fashioned way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'l take that completely non sarcastically as a compliment :P and highlight the was
    s

It was a joke about your one liner messages comment :)
    You type a nice detailed profile (in this case, post) and get just a "hi" from someone

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I'm starting to consider myself a bit of an OD veteran at this stage. I became single around this time two years ago; this was when tinder was starting to get some traction. I told myself for about a fortnight that I wouldn't go near it and that it was a pile of shíté. Well here I am today and I'm still on tinder AND pof lol. I reckon I've met about 25 women through tinder in that time, and one from pof (although i only started using it recently). I'm in my late 20s and have met girls raging from 18 to a divorcee of 39.

My whole approach is to be upfront about my intentions. I've had a few casual relationships but mainly dates and nsa. On my profiles I make it clear that I don't write first - this is to save time waiting on a reply more than anything; plus I have seen first hand the amount of matches/messages women get on these apps so I don't want to add to that. If a girl likes me she can write to me.

I have to say though with the catfish on pof and the bots on tinder I'm starting to consider retirement. I've made friends (and maybe the odd enemy) and had some great dates. I have no doubt in my mind that if I wanted a relationship in the past two years I would have one by now. In that respect I couldn't recommend OD enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Met my wife online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Offline dating is where its at. Posted in my reply and waiting for a response...any day now. *watches for postman*

bluewolf wrote: »
    It was a joke about your one liner messages comment :)
    You type a nice detailed profile (in this case, post) and get just a "hi" from someone

:pac:

I'll take my compliments where I can get them goddammit!

Seriously though think a lot of guys would be happy to receive even a hi

Anyway since being a "sapiosexual" is apparently the in thing here is some sexy statistics :P

blog.okcupid.com/index.php/the-biggest-lies-in-online-dating/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aidan Holland

I think dating in general these days for men is hard now I'm all for equal rights equal pay, job opportunities,free abortions and everything equal for woman But I think feminists have created this cloud of suspicion around men I mean according to them we are all potential rapists. In my opinion the rise of radical feminisem is down to single mums now look if your in the unfortunate situation that the father of your kid or kids doesn't pay child maintenance or plays no part in your children lives that's sad but please stop blaming or harbouring a hatred for all men just because you had a bad experience

I think dating in general these days for men is hard now I'm all for equal rights equal pay, job opportunities,free abortions and everything equal for woman But I think feminists have created this cloud of suspicion around men I mean according to them we are all potential rapists. In my opinion the rise of radical feminisem is down to single mums now look if your in the unfortunate situation that the father of your kid or kids doesn't pay child maintenance or plays no part in your children lives that's sad but please stop blaming or harbouring a hatred for all men just because you had a bad experience

You think the rise of radical feminism is because single mums who receive no input from their childrens father have developed a hatred for all men?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ruu wrote: »
    Offline dating is where its at. Posted in my reply and waiting for a response...any day now. *watches for postman*

Letter sent...

You think the rise of radical feminism is because single mums who receive no input from their childrens father have developed a hatred for all men?

I think radical feminists tar us all with the same brush and its unfair,I know a few single dad's who the wife or girlfriend has taken flight but they don't hate women because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I think radical feminists tar us all with the same brush and its unfair,I know a few single dad's who the wife or girlfriend has taken flight but they don't hate women because of it.
    Seriously Aidan where are you seeing this happening?

You know a few single dads getting a raw deal and I know a few single mothers getting the same but I genuinely dont see a surge in women thinking that all men are rapists or whatever.

Now if you were to say do I think most men are cheaters...well thats another story and another thread.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ruu wrote: »

Are you naughty enough for any 'sposting' yet?

Colser wrote: »
    Seriously Aidan where are you seeing this happening?

You know a few single dads getting a raw deal and I know a few single mothers getting the same but I genuinely dont see a surge in women thinking that all men are rapists or whatever.

Now if you were to say do I think most men are cheaters...well thats another story and another thread.;)

I was on the bus coming from work a couple of days ago and there was this girl and she was about early 30s and walking on the street and I looked at her backside and I'm sure thousands of men do it and probably women look at men if there attractive and then upon turning round looked at 2 women who were given me the evil eye and how dare you kind of Expression.I just think men are made to feel guilty for having these feelings and its unfortunate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I was on the bus coming from work a couple of days ago and there was this girl and she was about early 30s and walking on the street and I looked at her backside and I'm sure thousands of men do it and probably women look at men if there attractive and then upon turning round looked at 2 women who were given me the evil eye and how dare you kind of Expression.I just think men are made to feel guilty for having these feelings and its unfortunate
    That makes no sense to me.
    How could they tell what you were looking at if they were behind you and why would they care?

Was your tongue hanging out panting or what?

Colser wrote: »
    That makes no sense to me.
    How could they tell what you were looking at if they were behind you and why would they care?

Was your tongue hanging out panting or what?

I was at the seats at very back were some seats are facing one another,I just had a quick glance did not make it noticeable but the saw it anyway and that's the last time I'll do that ever again

Radical feminism is built on the ideology that society is a patriarchy where men are the oppressors of women. It is indeed an extreme view and one I personally don't hold.
    There will always be men and women who are offended in the way you describe. I'm just not sure if it's because they believe that all men are evil rapists.

There are some single mothers who because they have had a hard time will tar all men with the same brush. There are some single dad's who because they have had a hard time will tar all women with the same brush. The risks of dating can create similar attitudes. If a man or a woman went through enough bad experiences some of them can adopt an attitude of "all men are the same" or "all women are the same".

I really don't believe the above views have anything to do with radical feminism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Two men walk into a bar. But not all men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Ugh.. Just got this great match on POF so I thought I'd message her.. but I can't! "She only accepts messages from certain people"; but apparently not people she matches with!?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

armaghlad wrote: »
    Ugh.. Just got this great match on POF so I thought I'd message her.. but I can't! "She only accepts messages from certain people"; but apparently not people she matches with!?

"Alright, what type of fella do I want messaging me?

* Must earn over 50k a year
    * Must not have messaged users for sex
    * only accept messages with over 2,000 words.
    * Must be single with no kids
    * Must have his own car
    * Must have expensive car
    * Must have his own place

Oh crap, I forgot to write my profession.... currently unemployed..."

Am I wrong? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

armaghlad wrote: »

Can't you select age preferences etc. on POF? Maybe you just don't fall into the age bracket she's looking for. I wouldn't take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Anyone I've ever interacted with "sapiosexual" on their profile is generally a sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

"Alright, what type of fella do I want messaging me?

* Must earn over 50k a year
    * Must not have messaged users for sex
    * only accept messages with over 2,000 words.
    * Must be single with no kids
    * Must have his own car
    * Must have expensive car
    * Must have his own place

Oh crap, I forgot to write my profession.... currently unemployed..."

Am I wrong? :pac:

Wow, not jumping to conclusions at all there, are we?

• Advertisement

fatknacker wrote: »
    Anyone I've ever interacted with "sapiosexual" on their profile is generally a sap.

Did you not know Stephen Hawking was recently voted Britain's sexiest man.

I would go a bit further and say anybody that labels themselves as anything --sexual, sounds harsh but apart from bisexual they are made up labels (seriously pansexual and bisexual mean the same thing!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement