Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

armaghlad wrote: »
    Mine:

*tumbleweed*

New Message!

Her: Hi
    Me: *notices distinct lack of profile pic*

*BLOCK*

Trigger happy blocker.
    On POF if someone gets blocked a few times their account is deleted. You should never block someone. Its really silly and results in genuine users losing their accounts.
    Blocking is for serious offenses, not for a guy who says hi to you.
    In life the greatest love stories are of guys who ask a girl out 20 times before she says yes, it shows he see's her as unique I guess. Online a guy can see someone he finds intriguing and before two messages are exchanged he finds himself blocked for saying '' hi'' .
    I can't block someone in real life so I don't online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Trigger happy blocker.
    On POF if someone gets blocked a few times their account is deleted. You should never block someone. Its really silly and results in genuine users losing their accounts.
    In life the greatest love stories are of guys who ask a girl out 20 times before she says yes, it shows he see's her as unique I guess. Online a guy can see someone he finds intriguing and before two messages are exchanged he finds himself blocked for saying '' hi'' .

What should I do? Say, "Don't message me again," and leave it at that. What if they keep messaging me? I don't want any interaction with them. If I asked someone to leave me alone in a pub and they kept bothering me I'd tell the barman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What should I do? Say, "Don't message me again," and leave it at that. What if they keep messaging me? I don't want any interaction with them. If I asked someone to leave me alone in a pub and they kept bothering me I'd tell the barman.

Ignore them??
    If they keep repeatedly messaging then block them?

Ignore them??
    If they keep repeatedly messaging then block them?

But their messages keep popping up for me. Which I don't want. Blocking them stops their messages from popping up.

But their messages keep popping up for me. Which I don't want. Blocking them stops their messages from popping up.

Ah yes...that's ok

Just from way twos worded it looked like you just blocked the chap (presumably) straight off on his first msg for having no pic...

If he/she was repeately msging ya/choking up inbox....I understand

• Advertisement

Ah yes...that's ok

Just from way twos worded it looked like you just blocked the chap (presumably) straight off on his first msg for having no pic...

If he/she was repeately msging ya/choking up inbox....I understand

That was someone else. I'll respond to someone even if they don't have a profile pic. The ability to hold a conversation is far more important than looking good in a profile pic.

I would be wary that they're avoiding someone. I've read in a few places that people who are looking to cheat on someone don't upload profile pics so they're not spotted. So that would be in the back of my mind.

If you respond to someone and say you have no interest and ask them to quit messaging you but they still do then I'd block.
    You should always respond though, give them the chance to take on board your request. I think most would.
    I think girls think the block button is there just to click it over and over when they get a message from someone they dislike without even getting to know them.
    I have viewed profiles and then decided to mail someone day later, zero messages exchanged and I can find I'm blocked by that user.
    Block option should be removed on POF. Should be a report option only, blocking someone for saying '' hi'' is wrong. If that happens to a person 3 or 4 times he loses his account. Its a very flawed system.
    Google it '' deleted POF account'' 1000's and 1000's of people are losing accounts. I gave up on POF , I have been blocked more than once with ZERO messages exchanged. Account is now deleted and I can't log in. All because I say ''hi'' or view a profile and get blocked before a message is even sent.

POF ''If you’re rude or send inappropriate, nude, discriminate or abusive messages to other users, this will likely result in getting blocked by these users. If you are being blocked too frequently, you will be deleted. ''

But girls just block you if you say '' hi how are you today ''

It must drives guys crazy to lose their account because they are polite to a girl they like.

If someone messages me with, "Looking for sum fun" when my profile very clearly states I'm looking for a serious relationship it's obvious that person hasn't read my profile, or is ignoring what I said in my profile. So I'll block them then.

And I don't use POF very often. I don't like the design of it so I don't go on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

If you respond to someone and say you have no interest and ask them to quit messaging you but they still do then I'd block.
    You should always respond though, give them the chance to take on board your request. I think most would.
    I think girls think the block button is there just to click it over and over when they get a message from someone they dislike without even getting to know them.
    I have viewed profiles and then decided to mail someone day later, zero messages exchanged and I can find I'm blocked by that user.
    Block option should be removed on POF. Should be a report option only, blocking someone for saying '' hi'' is wrong. If that happens to a person 3 or 4 times he loses his account. Its a very flawed system.
    Google it '' deleted POF account'' 1000's and 1000's of people are losing accounts. I gave up on POF , I have been blocked more than once with ZERO messages exchanged. Account is now deleted and I can't log in. All because I say ''hi'' or view a profile and get blocked before a message is even sent.

Christ pof sounds like a nightmare. Tinder may be brutal at times but at least you know you're starting at a level field of attraction.

• Advertisement

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Christ pof sounds like a nightmare. Tinder may be brutal at times but at least you know you're starting at a level field of attraction.

I once matched with a centra shop on tinder :(
    Had to give up then for a few months!

Though downloaded it again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Trigger happy blocker.
    I have it on my account clearly stating do not contact me if you don't have a profile pic. They're hiding something. Why go on a dating site with no picture? Probably thee most fundamental aspect of online dating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I find online dating really tedious.

What it has given me is a bunch of pen pals. Men who love to text and chat but seem totally intimidated by the idea of actually going out!

What it has given me is a bunch of pen pals. Men who love to text and chat but seem totally intimidated by the idea of actually going out!

Is that what likes of boards is for-talking shtie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Has anybody ever matched with someone they know, like a colleague or a cousin? I'd say that would be awkward.

PM me :p

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Have found the opposite.

Maybe you're intimidating (in a good way)

Has anybody ever matched with someone they know, like a colleague or a cousin? I'd say that would be awkward.

My sister showed up in my pof matches before :-/

Often had sisters of friends match me on tinder alright....but worst of all I had a nurse off the blood doning crowd match me before on tinder only said she was a nurse. ......forgot to reply for a few days and then went giving blood

(TBF nothing was said/no awkwardness really)

Have found the opposite.

Maybe you're intimidating (in a good way)

Maybe.

I got a really lovely message off a guy about ten days ago saying he liked my profile and complimenting one of my photos. I replied "Thanks :) Domuou want to meet up some time this week?" Never heard back.

I know I was being forward, but I'm so bored of texting a guy for ages only to meet up and realise we don't click!

Really can't stand girls with only one profile photo. And two girls in it. One better looking than the other. And then finding out you're speaking to the "less good looking one", who proceeds to ask "oh, did you think you were talking to the blonde?". Not awkward at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Really can't stand girls with only one profile photo. And two girls in it. One better looking than the other. And then finding out you're speaking to the "less good looking one", who proceeds to ask "oh, did you think you were talking to the blonde?". Not awkward at all.

Yes why do girls do this? Or a big group photo with about 10 of them in it. It makes things a tad confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Or the profile pic is her with a group of friends.

*Don't be fat one, don't be fat one, don't be fat one*

*is fat one*

:mad:

Swipe left

Although to be fair, I'm sure women have the same problem!

Maybe.

I got a really lovely message off a guy about ten days ago saying he liked my profile and complimenting one of my photos. I replied "Thanks :) Domuou want to meet up some time this week?" Never heard back.

I know I was being forward, but I'm so bored of texting a guy for ages only to meet up and realise we don't click!

Maybe he thinks there's something dodgy about that and thought you were fake or something. Are you a ride? :P

Maybe comment on his profile saying he seems nice or has the same interests and that you would rather meet up face to face and see how it goes.

Elessar wrote: »
    Or the profile pic is her with a group of friends.

*Don't be fat one, don't be fat one, don't be fat one*

*is fat one*

:mad:

Swipe left

Although to be fair, I'm sure women have the same problem!

There's a girl on a website and she has a really hot friend. First line in her profile is..."Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I'm not my friend in my profile pic".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yes why do girls do this? Or a big group photo with about 10 of them in it. It makes things a tad confusing.

Lads do that too, they often have a picture of themselves in some stupid costume too.

It's like Where's Wally. Only a minor gripe. I just assume they're the good looking one anyway. :)

It's like Where's Wally. Only a minor gripe. I just assume they're the good looking one anyway. :)

Your optimism will be your downfall :pac:

Though it is somewhat mischievous esp since group pics....others can be scratched out easily enough

Can't understand the thinking behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’ve come across several where they’ve maybe one photo of themselves wearing big sunglasses, covering half their face, and the rest are in groups. End up feeling like a detective trying to piece together which girl is common to all photos.

Also, all photos being shoulders up and/or from a high angle is a big red flag. Obviously people try to put their best self forward in these things but going out of your way to purposely mislead isn’t going to get you far long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

There's a girl on a website and she has a really hot friend. First line in her profile is..."Sorry to disappoint you guys, but I'm not my friend in my profile pic".

Why would somebody even say this on their profile. To me it says she has low self esteem as she doesn't believe anyone would look at a photo of just her.

• Advertisement

Maybe he thinks there's something dodgy about that and thought you were fake or something. Are you a ride? :P

Maybe comment on his profile saying he seems nice or has the same interests and that you would rather meet up face to face and see how it goes.

I lost interest at that stage. I'm bored of texting- it's no way to find out if you're compatible with someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement