Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Hopefully it won't be just "no". It will be,

"I wouldn't be a fan at all but I totally get the enthusiasm it provokes. Some friends of mine are mad about the soccerball :) I'll be curled up with a book today. Will you go out for a few pints "?

So if we were to start dating, and I wanted to take you to a match. ... youd rather be sat at home with a book?!
    :);)

So if we were to start dating, and I wanted to take you to a match. ... youd rather be sat at home with a book?!
    :);)

Yep and would have no problem you going off doing your thing just like you'd have no problem with me doing mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

For e.g - I'd ask a girl if she liked football or is she following the Euros before I'd ask her 'did you see the first Spanish goal last night. Otherwise it could just result in 'I can't stand football'

And? You've still established whether or not she likes football (or whatever you've asked her about). So, to me at least, that's a more natural way of establishing whether or not there are common interests.

As for it feeling forced - if they're not asking you any questions, or telling you things about themselves that you can use to further a discussion, tell them some things about yourself. An amusing anecdote, if you will. :pac: If things still feel forced, well then it's probably time to drop it and move on to someone who you may have a better rapport with.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

cantdecide wrote: »
    I do struggle with the initial small talk process IRL as well as in OD and I often feel that the natural charmer wins over the deeper conversationalist at this stage.

I think this is what I struggle with really. I'll just have to try and work on it.
    I'm not all that great with small talk with strangers but one of those people you can't shut up when I know you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Let's role play.

I'm a girl on a dating site. Now you send me the first message.
    I am sitting here naked looking at your picture, found your Facebook page too.....:eek:

• Advertisement

I think this is what I struggle with really. I'll just have to try and work on it.
    I'm not all that great with small talk with strangers but one of those people you can't shut up when I know you.

Then say this to the girl. "I'm not great with the back and forth texting business. Why don't we meet up for a drink?"

chillin117 wrote: »
    I am sitting here naked looking at your picture, found your Facebook page too.....:eek:

"Is that so?

I don't have Facebook. You must try harder".

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Then say this to the girl. "I'm not great with the back and forth texting business. Why don't we meet up for a drink?"

Would most women be up for that so short into the conversation? I could give it a go.

Would most women be up for that so short into the conversation? I could give it a go.

I think you should give it a go.

Yep and would have no problem you going off doing your thing just like you'd have no problem with me doing mine :)

So we'd have nothing in common except magnificent sex .... it'll never last!
    :)

• Advertisement

So we'd have nothing in common except magnificent sex .... it'll never last!
    :)

Damn. I'd much prefer for us to like all of the same things and be clones of each other rather than be individuals and have magnificent sex :)

Damn. I'd much prefer for us to like all of the same things and be clones of each other rather than be individuals and have magnificent sex :)

Well Wed have to find some common interests....how does Kazakh traditional dance grab ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Common interests that are important.

Must like...
    Food, drinking, cuddles, spooning, awful jokes

Must not...
    Be afraid of mice or spiders, be highly strung, be stubborn

Must be...
    Patient, easily amused, good at adulting in stressful situations.

Id be really creeped out if we had the same interests.
    "I like waxing hair from my body, having massages, shopping, getting my nails done, colouring in children's colouring books, trolling chatrooms and watching elephant videos on YouTube."

You don't need the same interests

Common interests that are important.

Must like...
    Food, drinking, cuddles, spooning, awful jokes

Must not...
    Be afraid of mice or spiders, be highly strung, be stubborn

Must be...
    Patient, easily amused, good at adulting in stressful situations.

Id be really creeped out if we had the same interests.
    "I like waxing hair from my body, having massages, shopping, getting my nails done, colouring in children's colouring books, trolling chatrooms and watching elephant videos on YouTube."

You don't need the same interests

Not all I agree....but if you don't have some common ground the chances are a relationship won't last.
    I like trolling chat rooms too btw....not on boards though!
    ;)

Not all I agree....but if you don't have some common ground the chances are a relationship won't last.
    I like trolling chat rooms too btw....not on boards though!
    ;)

It isn't common interests which are important it's a shared value system and fundamental beliefs.
    For example it wouldn't matter to me if I dated a guy who was very sporty, as long as he wasn't deeply Catholic.

It isn't common interests which are important it's a shared value system and fundamental beliefs.
    For example it wouldn't matter to me if I dated a guy who was very sporty, as long as he wasn't deeply Catholic.

Well, to me dislike and distrust of religion would be a shared interest
    But I take your point and to an extent it's correct. But if you don't like sport, or dining out or cinema...and he does...you like soaps, swimming and pub scene.... he doesn't, then regardless of a shared value system a relationship most likely won't last

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Yep, me too. This is why the best OD chats I had were about an interest listed in the profile, there was a little starting point there. I really struggled with the Hi messages. Or profiles with little or no info. Only lasted a week on tinder for this very reason. Found POF much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think small talk is defo something you can improve on over time...

/looks at own post count :o
    <

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I think small talk is defo something you can improve on over time...

/looks at own post count :o
    <

I've been trying to improve for years :o I'm just really bad at it. I'm a lazy conversationalist. And the introduction of texting and social media technology just killed me off completely!! I could text for Ireland now but struggle to hold a conversation.

I was chatting to a guy on POF and he asked if we could take the chat to a phone call (to be fair the messaging system on POF is awful!). And I had a freak out at the prospect of actually physically speaking to someone. But I went through with it and we spoke on the phone for an hour and met in person for coffee the next day! :)

If I'm too safe, she might get bored. If I'm too flirty, she might feel alienated. If I wait too long to suggest meeting, she may get bored. If I ask too soon, she may get creeped out. If I'm too much craic, well, it's just not me IRL...

It always feels like walking a tightrope to me.

• Advertisement

If I'm too safe, she might get bored. If I'm too flirty, she might feel alienated. If I wait too long to suggest meeting, she may get bored. If I ask too soon, she may get creeped out. If I'm too much craic, well, it's just not me IRL...

You are thinking too much. It's supposed to be fun. Stop being so concerned about how you come across and just do your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hmm I don't think you need common interests to be a good couple! I know some lads and girls who are into extremely different things, pretty sure they don't have a lot they both like. But they do have similar personalities, both easy going, and similar humour so they both tend to have a good time together. I think thats more important that interests.
    My boyfriend and I share a lot in common, both study architecture, similar families, like same music and movies but it wouldnt mean anything if we didnt get on well with each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Just be normal like??

Same as your are irl...if this scares her away...either you've to change how you are irl (maybe being short/angry etc)...or she's not for you???

D
    Edit: this is not meant as saying you are those...just more a general comment per se

Though tbf....I wouldn't mind another run at this dating sh1te again sometime

(Clearly I've spent too long in the sun today :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭FGR

Let's role play.

I'm a girl on a dating site. Now you send me the first message.

Oh dear Persepoly - daughter of Zeus and bride of Hades. Why does one with beauty divine and knowledge eternal present themselves to the realm of mortals?

...Or am I confusing you with Persephone..

If the latter, then how're things? Fancy some taco fries? :pac:

FGR wrote: »
    Oh dear Persepoly - daughter of Zeus and bride of Hades. Why does one with beauty divine and knowledge eternal present themselves to the realm of mortals?

Now. If my dating site name was Persepoly and I received that message it would cause me to smile exactly like I'm doing now and I would respond :)

Now. If my dating site name was Persepoly and I received that message it would cause me to smile exactly like I'm doing now and I would respond :)

Well stop twirling your hair and tell us what your hypothetical reply might be. We'll score both of you out of 10 on ye're performance :pac:

Well stop twirling your hair and tell us what your hypothetical reply might be. We'll score both of you out of 10 on ye're performance :pac:

He had her at taco fries!

FGR wrote: »

FGR, my three favourite consonants come together to form your name, what a glorious day it is that you should message me.

Alas I am a mere counterfeit of Persephone, a play on her name in an attempt to create some of her wondrous nature for my own. A deceit? Perhaps. Yet aren't we all deceiving each other in the smallest of ways as we pick our step through the 'right' people and the 'wrong'.

Anyway enough of that shíte. Taco chips sounds good. Maybe a bag o cans as well?

:pac:

FGR, my three favourite consonants come together to form your name, what a glorious day it is that you should message me.

Alas I am a mere counterfeit of Persephone, a play on her name in an attempt to create some of her wondrous nature for my own. A deceit? Perhaps. Yet aren't we all deceiving each other in the smallest of ways as we pick our step through the 'right' people and the 'wrong'.

Anyway enough of that shíte. Taco chips sounds good. Maybe a bag o cans as well?

:pac:

/adjust specs
    /looks at FGR
    *coughs

FGR? The lady's waiting...

• Advertisement

/adjust specs
    /looks at FGR
    *coughs

FGR? The lady's waiting...

G'wan now yee messers :p