Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony have released lists of developers before for the Vita which didn't turn out quite as you would expect so take that with a pinch of salt.

That's exactly my worry about dropping 400 on this, we are relying on the devs supporting it and I really don't think they will, and really can't see many AAA titles made especially for psvr and adding the vr capability to multi platform games probably won't be worth the extra time effort and money because of the small base,
    If I go vr it will most likely be vive just think PC is the best platform for vr right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Are Sony showing their PSVR from actual PS4 units or are the PSVR units hooked up to PCs in the background.

When it comes to games we have to realise this is Sony selling a new console. The sales of the PS4 don't matter. PSVR needs to sell millions of units and the thing to remember is the game developers, will they create a game for VR that has sold a few million units when they can develop a game that 34 million PS4 owners can play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To play devil's advocate though, we are in a different time when it comes to games. Gaming consumers have unprecedented wealth to splash on gaming accessories and peripherals which in turn leads to more traction in the purchasing power of games also. Asking for €400 for a pretty revolutionary accessory when it's not unusual for people to drop over three times that amount on a gaming rig is a good indication that people will pick these up, even if just to see what all the fuss is about.

We are also in an era where VR is buzzword outside of the playstation. People are talking about virtual reality and augmented reality in plenty of areas outside of gaming as well as on different platforms. The technology is no longer a gaming gimmick, we're following the traditional model of seeing something 20 years ago on star trek and trucking on towards making it actually available to people today :D We all additional research into the technologies across multiple industries, it should be much easier to make leaps and bounds towards amazing experiences and high adoption.

Also, think about the demographics of gamers. We've a generation of gamers who've grown up, dreaming of this sort of technology with the wealth to back it up. If you could afford the 400 to buy a PS4, you can almost definitely afford the 400 to buy the PS VR. I for one will have no problems dropping that money on an experience that may or may not satisfy my VR cravings but it'll be pretty awesome to jump into the "virtual reality" world for the first time once this is available. Am hoping that it turns into a great success!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Doge

Bitches complain about the price of a €400 VR headset yet have no problem dropping €870 on the latest iphone. :pac:

I think the price is spot on for the early adoption of VR, it is in no way overpriced.

Anyway here's a a new gameplay video of Battlezone:

Looks to be a good game that will suit VR well, i'm not really into the colours used and art style though.

Now we all know the real reason why the Dualshock 4 has big bright light on it, its for tracking your position of the controller as seen in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm not sure anyones complaining about the pricing, it's a lot of money for tech that mightn't (but probably will) take off. Considering it doubles the price of the console it's expensive relative, but still very well priced for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The sales of the PS4 don't matter.

Nonsense. It actually matters a great deal, because the PS4 install base indicates the long-term size and capacity of the market. It's probably not much of a stretch to suggest if even 10-20% of PS4 owners bought a VR headset (somewhere between 3 and 8 million, which TBH is an optimistic estimate for the short-term), it's probably comparable and maybe even in excess of somewhere around a 75-100% adoption rate on VR-capable PCs (noting that the market, incidentally, at the moment is split into two distinct products). I'd be concerned that it'll take a few years for mainstream PC technology and indeed Rift / Vive revisions to catch up with each other, whereas the much larger PS4 base means that, if the device is a success, there's a much larger 'VR-ready' market for expansion. Even in the IMO very unlikely event that VR is such a phenomenon it encourages many people out to buy computer/console hardware in the first, Sony's €850ish entry point will be much more feasible than the €1800ish entry point on PC at the moment.

None of this is to say the PSVR won't fail, because it could well, but the risk of a sales plateau or fall is far less for Sony than its competitors who are aiming, at least for now, more directly at an enthusiast audience. Also worth noting that it's very possible Sony VR games will actually be significantly cheaper to produce than your typical retail release, due to the technological limitations of the device (not to mention that epic, long games are for now a very poor match for virtual reality). A small percentage of the PS4 market therefore could theoretically sustain a lively development scene without the need for blockbuster sales to match. Similar to PC, in fact.

I'm not sure anyones complaining about the pricing, it's a lot of money for tech that mightn't (but probably will) take off. Considering it doubles the price of the console it's expensive relative, but still very well priced for what it is.

I didnt mean on boards but all over youtube. Idiots saying if it was $50 they would buy it. :pac:

Doge wrote: »
    I didnt mean on boards but all over youtube. Idiots saying if it was $50 they would buy it. :pac:

A dual shock pad is €50 how do they see a VR headset costing the same? :pac:

Sorry for misunderstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nonsense. It actually matters a great deal, because the PS4 install base indicates the long-term size and capacity of the market. It's probably not much of a stretch to suggest if even 10-20% of PS4 owners bought a VR headset (somewhere between 3 and 8 million, which TBH is an optimistic estimate for the short-term), it's probably comparable and maybe even in excess of somewhere around a 75-100% adoption rate on VR-capable PCs (noting that the market, incidentally, at the moment is split into two distinct products). I'd be concerned that it'll take a few years for mainstream PC technology and indeed Rift / Vive revisions to catch up with each other, whereas the much larger PS4 base means that, if the device is a success, there's a much larger 'VR-ready' market for expansion. Even in the IMO very unlikely event that VR is such a phenomenon it encourages many people out to buy computer/console hardware in the first, Sony's €850ish entry point will be much more feasible than the €1800ish entry point on PC at the moment.

None of this is to say the PSVR won't fail, because it could well, but the risk of a sales plateau or fall is far less for Sony than its competitors who are aiming, at least for now, more directly at an enthusiast audience. Also worth noting that it's very possible Sony VR games will actually be significantly cheaper to produce than your typical retail release, due to the technological limitations of the device (not to mention that epic, long games are for now a very poor match for virtual reality). A small percentage of the PS4 market therefore could theoretically sustain a lively development scene without the need for blockbuster sales to match. Similar to PC, in fact.
    I cringe when people say the what if 10% of this group bought something. It's a pointless argument. There are many factors which determine a purchase.

It's essentially a new console(hardware) so the PS4 sales numbers do not count. It costs more than a PS4 itself. Its success cannot be guaranteed by the fact that that PS4 sales have been huge.

The question is will game developers want to work on a game that will have a limited install base of a few million or will they prefer to make a game for the wider 34 million PS4 owners.

Just to confirm what a lot of people suspected, there is a "VR Ready bundle" that is available at $500 (VR headset alone was $400 if I remember correctly). The bundle includes the following:
    • PS VR headset
    • PS VR cables
    • Stereo Headphones
    • PlayStation VR Demo Disc
    • PlayStation Camera
    • 2 PlayStation Move motion controllers
    • PlayStation VR Worlds (disc)

3023837-3907184160-25870.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are many factors which determine a purchase.

Yes, and ownership of a PS4 is likely to be one of them :pac:
    Its success cannot be guaranteed by the fact that that PS4 sales have been huge.

And I wouldn't for a second suggest that. The huge PS4 sales won't hurt its prospects in the market, of course, even if it's no guarantee of success (I retain a healthy skepticism about how the mass market will respond to VR).
    The question is will game developers want to work on a game that will have a limited install base of a few million or will they prefer to make a game for the wider 34 million PS4 owners.

It's not necessarily 'either/or'. There's quite a few games that work either on or off VR - something like ADR1FT, for example - so VR compatibility doesn't necessarily mean writing off the non-VR market. And I'm sure plenty of developers will be able to continue making large-scale projects while having smaller teams working on VR titles - Insomniac and Edge of Nowhere, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just to confirm what a lot of people suspected, there is a "VR Ready bundle" that is available at $500 (VR headset alone was $400 if I remember correctly). The bundle includes the following:
    • PS VR headset
    • PS VR cables
    • Stereo Headphones
    • PlayStation VR Demo Disc
    • PlayStation Camera
    • 2 PlayStation Move motion controllers
    • PlayStation VR Worlds (disc)

Not sure it's worth it, an extra 100 for honestly the camera and 2 move. The VR worlds game can't cost that much by itself.

On Amazon, sales of the PlayStation Camera are up 975 per cent, seeing its sales rank jump from No.215 to No.20. Amazon sells the camera for £39.

Similarly, the PS VR compatible Move Controller has seen its sales rise by 305 percent, and a PS4 Camera Stand is also up by 243 per cent.

The Move controller is very cheap used but no stock so maybe it's not that bad of a deal.

It's essentially a new console(hardware) so the PS4 sales numbers do not count. It costs more than a PS4 itself. Its success cannot be guaranteed by the fact that that PS4 sales have been huge.

I can't understand the logic behind people thinking it's a "console" or a hardware addon.

Its a peripheral that lets you play existing non VR games and videos as well as VR games.

The processing unit is essentially a break out box, it does not add anything to the logic of the mainboard, although it does free up some resources.

Here's the gist of what it does:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-what-does-playstation-vr-external-processor-unit-actually-do

Varik wrote: »
    Not sure it's worth it, an extra 100 for honestly the camera and 2 move. The VR worlds game can't cost that much by itself.

The Move controller is very cheap used but no stock so maybe it's not that bad of a deal.

you probably don't want to completely eliminate the value of the game. If you buy all the hardware separately, you still only have the VR demo disk (I'm assuming this comes with the headset), so having another piece of software is probably worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

One point I haven't heard many people talk about is the fact that all of the cables used by PSVR are standard (HDMI, USB, AUX etc.). This means that if Sony wanted to, they could release software and drivers to make the PSVR headset compatible for the PC. That would immediately explode their potential market.

Now this is totally unexpected, the PS VR is capable of doing what the Vive does, allowing you to move around your room, its just upto the developers to implement it.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/17/11254170/playstation-vr-vive-rift-tracking-area

Imagine playing something like a LA Noire or Heavy Rain sequel in first person, and exploring your room for clues if you have the space.

Otacon wrote: »
    One point I haven't heard many people talk about is the fact that all of the cables used by PSVR are standard (HDMI, USB, AUX etc.). This means that if Sony wanted to, they could release software and drivers to make the PSVR headset compatible for the PC. That would immediately explode their potential market.

I bet theres not much of a margin for profit on the hardware itself, they make their money from Software so it wouldnt be of much value to them creating an SDK for PC.

Now this is totally unexpected, the PS VR is capable of doing what the Vive does, allowing you to move around your room, its just upto the developers to implement it.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/17/11254170/playstation-vr-vive-rift-tracking-area

Imagine playing something like a LA Noire or Heavy Rain sequel in first person, and exploring your room for clues if you have rhe space.

If I had cash that would be sold for me. Definitely ahead of the Vive and Occulus now imo

Kotaku are reporting that Sony are working on a Playstation 4.5 with an upgraded GPU in the console aimed at 4K Gaming and VR, according to "sources".

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Not sure how to feel about this if its true. :(

There's the real Mega CD comparison for you folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kotaku are reporting that Sony are working on a Playstation 4.5 with an upgraded GPU in the console aimed at 4K Gaming and VR, according to "sources".

http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Not sure how to feel about this if its true. :(

There's the real Mega CD comparison for you folks.

Means Kotaku need clicks.

But honestly they'd be idiots not to call it the Playstation 4k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Are Sony showing their PSVR from actual PS4 units or are the PSVR units hooked up to PCs in the background

That's the one thing worrying me too. The footage shown in the vids etc looks a bit too good for the hardware/price point. It's not as if such practice would be unheard of either... Watchdogs anyone?

2607382-6457061808-iboqq.gif

They should try to nail, yano, 1080p first.

Then wait about 5 more years...

Kokatu aren't even trying anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm not very well up on VR hardware, bit is there not a bit of a difference between having to output 1080p for a tv screen, and what you can do with the same processing power on a much smaller VR screen?

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'm not very well up on VR hardware, bit is there not a bit of a difference between having to output 1080p for a tv screen, and what you can do with the same processing power on a much smaller VR screen?

Since VR is using 2 different screens, one for each eye, there is a lot more processing involved alright.

The size of the screen is irrelevant I imagine, as the resolution is virtually the same.

Its not quite twice the amount though since its 960 x 1080 per eye in the case of PS VR.

Myrddin wrote: »

Size doesn't matter, a 15" 1080p screen will take the same processing power as a 50" 1080p screen.

Unless my maths is wrong, it's the same as a single 1080p screen

1920*1080= 2,073,600 pixels
    960*1080= 1,036,800 pixels (each screen)

1,036,800*2= 2,073,600 pixels

So yeah, graphics are going to suffer a lot to hit 90fps stable.

I was talking about 4k anyways Myr :p

Can someone correct me on the resolution maths if I've misunderstood it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im quite skeptical at the moment when it comes to VR. Ive a feeling it could be successful in the long run but im not very keen to be an early adopter.

In the case of PS4 PSVR,it has the lowest resolution panels and lowest spec hardware running it(provided you assume people will use the min spec provided by oculus and vive to run those headsets). The two advantages it has are price and the already large install base of PS4. But being able to under cut your competitors will be useless if the experience is really far behind what the competition can offer and from what ive read both Rift and Vive should offer better experiences technically. But,and its a big but,devs will have to get behind each product and the big install base of PS4 must really be attractive to them and present less risk than the other two IMO. So it may not all come down to spec and hardware.

Personally im gonna just wait for a year or so for it to mature a bit and then see where to go from there and see how each product has fared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,196 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Agreed 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Am I right in thinking that the PS3's camera won't work for this but that the PS3's Move controllers will?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the PS3's camera won't work for this but that the PS3's Move controllers will?

Yes!

A friend of mine was telling me thst Kotaku is owned by Gawker yesterday.

That makes their claims of a PS 4.5 seem less valid. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,713 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They needed the 4.5 news clicks to increase revenue for Hogan?

Advertisement