Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

2011abc wrote: »
    mik_da_man wrote: »
    Doesn't seem right to me tbh.
    Redbreast isn't what I would call a Mild whiskey, it's got a good bit of body to it.
    Did you try it straight at all and was the water very cold?
    Cold water would definitely kill the more complex flavours depending on the amount added. Also there could be a bit of a negative effect on it if it had been just that small bit sitting in a nearly empty bottle for a while. Unlikely in a bar though...

No , water was just from tap at normal temperature .Any old hands got any ‘guidelines’ for adding water ? Anyone uses a dropper / teaspoon etc ? ( the potential for ‘flooding ‘ a treasure is awful !) Tap water ok ? It’s amazing looking at the swirling caused by the chemical reactions going on .I could be imagining it but I found adding a second dribble of water half way through the dram further releases different nice flavors etc .Was a ‘straight’(!) drinker until recently but think the drop of water is a good idea .
    How much do people add ? One expert ( no ,seriously ,EXPERT ! ) suggests you’re trying to get it down to about 35% .

My eyes hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

No , water was just from tap at normal temperature .Any old hands got any ‘guidelines’ for adding water ? Anyone uses a dropper / teaspoon etc ? ( the potential for ‘flooding ‘ a treasure is awful !) Tap water ok ? It’s amazing looking at the swirling caused by the chemical reactions going on .I could be imagining it but I found adding a second dribble of water half way through the dram further releases different nice flavors etc .Was a ‘straight’(!) drinker until recently but think the drop of water is a good idea .
    How much do people add ? One expert ( no ,seriously ,EXPERT ! ) suggests you’re trying to get it down to about 35% .

It's purely subjective. I wouldn't tend to add water unless it's cask strength, but I always taste first. I add then taste, then add more if required etc.. Each to their own.
    I just use a small jug of water, and trickle a small drop at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When he first announced it, he had named it Notorious which is already trademarked to the Carlow Brewing Company. Furthermore, the product he announced was Whisky, not whiskey...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/to-e-or-not-to-e-that-is-the-question-for-mcgregor-s-whiskey-partner-1.3203833
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/fresh-trademark-blow-for-mcgregor-s-whiskey-plan-1.3232266

Good luck to him but do I think he has it in him to make the best whiskey in the world? No chance!

Irish whisky can be spelled with or without the e.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good luck to him but do I think he has it in him to make the best whiskey in the world? No chance!
    He won't be making it personally. It'll made my a company he has invested in.
    I imagine having his name attached will boost sales, and I guess many regular whiskey drinkers will sneer at that. Which is kind of ironic.

The best whiskey in the world? Probably not. But it's kinda silly to set that the yardstick when 30, 40, 50 year plus single malts costing 10s of thousands are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Mellor wrote: »
    He won't be making it personally. It'll made my a company he has invested in.
    I imagine having his name attached will boost sales, and I guess many regular whiskey drinkers will sneer at that. Which is kind of ironic.

The best whiskey in the world? Probably not. But it's kinda silly to set that the yardstick when 30, 40, 50 year plus single malts costing 10s of thousands are available.

If I remember correctly he held up a bottle at one stage and it was a pot still so perhaps it has a fair chance of being good quality no product he has sold so far has been cheap exactly. I'd say the hold up is down to trademark stuff.

• Advertisement

Has there been any independent verification that he's actually distilling his own, rather than just slapping his name on some stock?

It would be hard to start up your own functioning distillery and not have anyone know about it like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Has there been any independent verification that he's actually distilling his own, rather than just slapping his name on some stock?

It would be hard to start up your own functioning distillery and not have anyone know about it like.

At this point he's just slapping his name on some stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No unaccounted for distilleries on the licence register as far as I can see anyway

cloudatlas wrote: »
    If I remember correctly he held up a bottle at one stage and it was a pot still so perhaps it has a fair chance of being good quality no product he has sold so far has been cheap exactly. I'd say the hold up is down to trademark stuff.

I wouldn't be reading too much into the bottle held up during the Mayweather presser. That was probably a label bundled together quickly by a graphic artist. I doubt he was consulting the distillery. But maybe.

What products has he done himself so far? Other than endorsements. There's that fashion range with David August, but that's a luxury market anyway.

There hasnt been, as far as I'm aware at least. But I also don't think there actually needs to be. Historically most whiskey wasnt distilled by the company on the label. But there's obviously a huge difference between relabelling some standard cheap swill and actual bonded whiskey.

Oh I get that, I'm just conscious of the phrasing used. "Hard at work in my distillery".

• Advertisement

Dublin airport or in Spain? Surprised if it was a Spanish one as they usually don't have much in the way of premium Irish.

I came across Teeling in a shop in Lanzarote last week. Saying that it was a one off and not even in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked:

It is quite sweet, typical of bourbon but boy is it smooth. Very easy to drink. No bite at all when you taste it, it's like liquid caramel. You can defo taste the oak and it is quite fruity.

A trick I picked up online is to pour half of WRDO into an old empty bottle and let it sit for a few weeks. Gives it time to breathe and become an even better drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ardent wrote: »
    A trick I picked up online is to pour half of WRDO into an old empty bottle and let it sit for a few weeks. Gives it time to breathe and become an even better drink.

Great idea. You should probably treat yourself to an old school decanter!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ardent wrote: »

Sounds like one of those old wives tales to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Great idea. You should probably treat yourself to an old school decanter!

Just not lead crystal

I wouldn't be reading too much into the bottle held up during the Mayweather presser. That was probably a label bundled together quickly by a graphic artist. I doubt he was consulting the distillery. But maybe.

What products has he done himself so far? Other than endorsements. There's that fashion range with David August, but that's a luxury market anyway.

There hasnt been, as far as I'm aware at least. But I also don't think there actually needs to be. Historically most whiskey wasnt distilled by the company on the label. But there's obviously a huge difference between relabelling some standard cheap swill and actual bonded whiskey.

The fashion range and mcgregor fast which wasn't cheap. Seems a lot of effort to go to to get a fake mock up for a press conference I would say he had some deal together at that stage even when labels appear for approval it sometimes takes months for the actual whisky to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gozunda wrote: »

Glencairn is the best and the cheapest imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

gozunda wrote: »
    Came across these a while ago. Anyone ever try them?

Just bought a set and trying them out this weekend. They look great of course but I'd imagine all of their waxing lyrical about the ritual and the sociability of them compared to other glasses is just bluster to sell them. They're surprisingly light and probably overpriced but if you really like the look could be worth a shout. They used them in that Netflix show Altered Carbon, which I loved, so that kind of swung me a bit. Will see how good they are for nosing though most reports say the Glencairn is still a better tasting glass.

Heading to a lakeside lodge in Cavan this weekend with a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask to test em!

Oh I get that, I'm just conscious of the phrasing used. "Hard at work in my distillery".

Ah I get what you mean. I think I just mentally wrote that part off as marketing fluff. Most plebs on instagram wouldn't have a clue about distilling, binders, aging whiskey etc.

• Advertisement

Back in Ireland for a few weeks. Up north this week, decided to call into the Busmills distillery. I've been before but did the tour again. Would recommend it.
    They've a new whiskey just released called Red Bush. Very bourbon influenced. I guess it's aimed at the American market. Price point the same as the bushmills original.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

He wouldn't be the only player in the industry blatantly pretending to have a distillery when they don't.

He also wouldn't be the the first to come out with a brand name without checking the copyright on it.
    At least he didn't actually release the product, unlike some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Back in Ireland for a few weeks. Up north this week, decided to call into the Busmills distillery. I've been before but did the tour again. Would recommend it.
    They've a new whiskey just released called Red Bush. Very bourbon influenced. I guess it's aimed at the American market. Price point the same as the bushmills original.

The Redbush is not very good. I found it a bit cheap and nasty.

They do have a Distillery Exclusive bottle only available in the place. Worth buying ..

https://malt-review.com/2018/08/04/bushmills-distillery-exclusive-acacia-wood-finish/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Jameson Crested is €26.50 in O’Brien’s at the moment. Having €7 on my loyalty card was an extra bonus. Lovely sup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭2011abc

Has anyone worked out who is cheapest for buying Whiskey in general or does it vary a fair bit ?Supermarkets or off-licences ? I guess you'd have to factor in loyalty schemes / vouchers etc .No one answer but interested .Lots of ' too dear to justify' over €50 whiskeys bought using tenner off vouchers in last few months I'd say !

Oh and if it's not another annoying noob question ,how many millilitres do most drink when 'tasting' at home ? Irish spirits measures 35/35.5ml(?) I tend to have a bit less but might repeat the experience 2-4 times ...

The popular Whiskey YouTuber Ralfy / RalfV suggested adding a little bit of a good whiskey to a cheap one .I find a generous measure of something like the Aldi 8 year old Scotch followed by a teaspoon of each of 2 or 3 really good whiskeys can be very pleasant too.

Any other recommended Youtubers apart from the American dynamic duo !?

The Redbush is not very good. I found it a bit cheap and nasty.
    It's not nearly as nice as black bush or the single malts. But it's not pretending it is either. It's younger that the Bushmills original, with a higher % of the grain whiskey that they bring in. It is what it is imo.

Picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12 year old for £32 in Tesco. Thought that was a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dunnes still have the litre of Powers for €32 offer which has been going for a while now, that's 2 litres for €54 if you have a voucher.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The popular Whiskey YouTuber Ralfy / RalfV suggested adding a little bit of a good whiskey to a cheap one .I find a generous measure of something like the Aldi 8 year old Scotch followed by a teaspoon of each of 2 or 3 really good whiskeys can be very pleasant too.

Any other recommended Youtubers apart from the American dynamic duo !?

I have never, ever heard of anyone doing this in my life. Until now.
    Picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12 year old for £32 in Tesco. Thought that was a bargain.

Great deal, especially with the exchange rate

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mixing mostly cheap with some aged \ pot still whisky is the basis for 90% of Scotch so this is just the home made blend I guess!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »

Mixing mostly cheap with some aged \ pot still whisky is the basis for 90% of Scotch so this is just the home made blend I guess!
    Pot still whisky in Scotland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement