Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I've tried it and it's grand. Exactly what you would expect from that price point.

I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've tried it and it's grand. Exactly what you would expect from that price point.

I think its not good for the price point. Similarly priced bottles like Jameson Caskmates Stout/Crested Ten, Glendalough Double Barrel and Black Bush are all superior IMO. Id probably even rate the Lidl and Aldi whiskeys above P12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Quackster wrote: »

If I wasn't driving, I think I would have given into temptation and finally sampled a drop.

I wouldn't drink it if it tasted like the nectar of the Gods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cazale wrote: »
    Anytime I'm in Derry I struggle to get a decent whiskey. A whiskey trail like Kilkenny or Galway would be good. It's a pity the distillery in Ebrington was cancelled.

The Quiet Man distillery is up in the air at the minute. There was a press release recently saying it was back on track but I was talking to a few heads in the industry up here and they said it was still 50/50 whether it would go ahead.

Agreed though, very few bars up here focusing on whiskey at the minute, would be rare to see anything beyond the big names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I think its not good for the price point. Similarly priced bottles like Jameson Caskmates Stout/Crested Ten, Glendalough Double Barrel and Black Bush are all superior IMO. Id probably even rate the Lidl and Aldi whiskeys above P12.

Hmmm

I thought it was cheaper for some reason. Yeah I'd take anything from your list ahead of it taste wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

My manager went above me and ordered Proper 12 without telling me. I'd say we've sold half a bottle out of 6. It's pure novelty like The Rock's Tequila, Rita Ora's Tequila and Graham Norton's gin. In a few years, they and everyone else will have moved on and forgot about them. I'd say only Aviation Gin has any staying power since it predates Ryan Reynolds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Just picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet "founders reserve" in Dunnes, down to €30 , about 18 off the normal price

• Registered Users Posts: 27,956 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Erik Shun wrote: »
    Just picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet "founders reserve" in Dunnes, down to €30 , about 18 off the normal price

Its a good whiskey at that price but at rrp doesnt compare to the old Glenlivet 12yo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Ordered some bottles from master of malt to the in laws house in the north. Went for:

Ardbeg Uigeadail
    Lagavulin 16 Year Old
    Laphroaig 10 Year Old
    Method and Madness Single Pot Still

Got a load of 30ml samples including:
    Arran 18 Year Old 1997
    Caol Ila 18 Year Old
    Kilkerran 8 Year Old (56.5%)
    Old Pulteney 17 Year Old
    Girvan 21 Year Old 1993 

Looking forward to adding some islay peat to my collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nice selection, had a sample of the Caol Ila 18 from them in the past, very nice, not as peated as your typical Islay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Wailin wrote: »
    Nice selection, had a sample of the Caol Ila 18 from them in the past, very nice, not as peated as your typical Islay.

My wife gifted me a bottle of Caol Ila 18 a couple of years back. It was one of my 'just on Sundays' tipples for a good while. A real top notch scotch (that ryhmes!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just found a bottle of Signature Jameson at the back of a cupboard!

Going to make a present of it I think to the FIL ...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the 18 year old jameson cask strength? Is it any good?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the 18 year old jameson cask strength? Is it any good?

Yes and Yes.
    However it's not worth the price imo...

A new bottle/box and it jumped from 135 to 200 for the standard one and 240 for the cask strength...
    It jumped over the price of the MVR for the standard one and the CS is only a tenner cheaper than Barry Crockett. That's where my money would go if I was spending that amount one one bottle from them.

I don't know how sales are going, but personally I thought it was a very bad move.

Now the whiskey itself is decent, but not 240 quids worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Bought a Dingle Single Malt Batch #4 today. There were a few on the shelves, tempted to go back and get another one to keep so I can drink todays one.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Bought a Dingle Single Malt Batch #4 today. There were a few on the shelves, tempted to go back and get another one to keep so I can drink todays one.

Well worth opening, not too sure if it's really worth getting one to keep just yet though.
    Batch 3 is still widely available and batch 2 in some shops if you are lucky. (Though not at original retail)

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Well worth opening, not too sure if it's really worth getting one to keep just yet though.
    Batch 3 is still widely available and batch 2 in some shops if you are lucky. (Though not at original retail)

Any idea where one might pick up batch 3 at a reasonable price?

Any idea where one might pick up batch 3 at a reasonable price?

SuperValu or independent off licences.

https://www.drinkstore.ie/dingle-single-malt-batch-3-5391518566047-10354/1/

Not bad for online..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I wonder has anyone ever tasted Dingle whiskey or is it all hidden away for investment.

I wonder has anyone ever tasted Dingle whiskey or is it all hidden away for investment.

I had a tipple of the first batch when it was released first, bought it in a bar at a fairly reasonable price (maybe €8ish). It was lovely in my opinion but iv never tasted the other batches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I had a tipple of the first batch when it was released first, bought it in a bar at a fairly reasonable price (maybe €8ish). It was lovely in my opinion but iv never tasted the other batches.

Likewise re the 1st. I tried some of the 4th (first pour out of the bottle) in my local last weekend.
    It's good. Not unlike the 1st from what I remember, but I think I enjoyed the 4th that little bit more.

I've had all of them, main releases, not founding fathers ones, including the Cask 2!!! :eek:

Why is it that Dingle has become such a collectors item?

Really wish they would up the production of the single pot still so i could actually get my hands on a bottle in order to drink it.

You tell us!! You're one of the collectors :D

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yes and Yes.
    However it's not worth the price imo...

A new bottle/box and it jumped from 135 to 200 for the standard one and 240 for the cask strength...
    It jumped over the price of the MVR for the standard one and the CS is only a tenner cheaper than Barry Crockett. That's where my money would go if I was spending that amount one one bottle from them.

I don't know how sales are going, but personally I thought it was a very bad move.

Now the whiskey itself is decent, but not 240 quids worth.

I think 200 would be fair for the CS. Given the added percentage they need to recoup the cost. The packaging obviously adds to the price as you said. The 18 year old regular at 200 is a bit much I must say. I have the older bottle version which I will be sticking to for now!

I think the premium range is only heading more expensive unfortunately. They are getting closer to collectors only bottlings. The 2nd batch of the Jameson is out in August.

I've a bottle of the second batch. It's very good whiskey imo. Tastes like barn and has citrus notes - different taste to a lot of other Irish I've had. Had a bit of new spirit taste when opened first but after 3 months it was a much nicer bottle to drink.

Can't wait to try a 8 year plus bottling to see how it develops.

Why is it that Dingle has become such a collectors item?

Really wish they would up the production of the single pot still so i could actually get my hands on a bottle in order to drink it.

Provenance has a good bit to do with it imo.

First distillery outside the big boys to produce whiskey in Ireland in a long time created a lot of buzz around the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Provenance has a good bit to do with it imo.

First distillery outside the big boys to produce whiskey in Ireland in a long time created a lot of buzz around the bottles.

Nail on head, the success of the gin will nurture the establishment of the whiskey.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Heading to France in a few months and am planning my spending already.
    Leclercs have a few which appear to be quite cheaper than Irish prices. I'm not familiar with any of them and would appreciate advice (nice to drink, good value, etc.)...
    Irish
    Tullamore Dew Phoenix @ €40
    Connemara Peated Irish Single Malt @ €31.90

Jap
    Taketsuru Pure Malt @ €34.70
    Nikka All Malt @ €25.93

Scotch
    Not familiar with the Scotch flavours at all - any you would recommend?

• Advertisement

If you want to try heavily peated scotch then there's Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10. All great whiskys, if you like smokey bonfires! Lighter smokey scotch would be Talisker 10, Caol Ila 10, Bowmore 12 etc.

Non peated I'd recommend Highland park 12, Balvenie 12, Glenmorangie 10, Glendronach 15 Arberlour 12 Arran 10, Springbank etc, all very good scotch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement