Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

Ya I think I had bit to much ice in it last night!

I think it's just the fear of the burn ha. Actually much smoother then I imagined it to be I'm just not used to drinking whisky by itself ha.

maybe try sipping it slowly - try not to drink like a vodka coke lol. tiny bit (literally a few mls) of water can change the profile also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

glasso wrote: »
    maybe try sipping it slowly - try not to drink like a vodka coke lol. tiny bit (literally a few mls) of water can change the profile also.

Haha ya I took me time with it alright! Ah I'll try get plenty of practice ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Got a bottle of Black Barrel off me brother for Christmas.

What's the best way to drink it? I had one on ice last night really nice just not that often Ive drink whisky by itself!

I always recommend if people want to get into whiskey trying it three nights in a row. First night with ice, second night with a small amount of water and third night straight. Don't think of it as a way of getting drunk. Take your time and focus on the smells and tastes. Google the whiskey your drinking and check out the tasting notes to see if you can make any of them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Currently sipping Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt... slightly peaty and a sweet almost treacle like aroma, very tasty Indeed,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Picked up what may well end up being the last bottle of Highland Park 12 I'm ever able to get my hands on at a reasonable price this evening.

Also picked up a new Japanese blend they I've never heard of before called Tokinoka. Second new Japanese blend I've found in a week. This one is apparently from some famous 400 year old brewery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Red spot.
    Nice whiskey but I don't really get the step up from yellow spot.
    Wouldn't be buying a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah i think for the price redbreast 15 is a far better choice and has more to offer on the palate and nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Where are ye picking up the Japanese Whiskey? I'd love to try a few More, had a Chita off the ferrylast year but don't want to wait til June for another one... I'm in Cork

Where are ye picking up the Japanese Whiskey? I'd love to try a few More, had a Chita off the ferrylast year but don't want to wait til June for another one... I'm in Cork

Barcelona but all available online.

The Tokinoka was just sitting on the shelf in my local wine shop.

Wailin wrote: »
    Yeah i think for the price redbreast 15 is a far better choice and has more to offer on the palate and nose.

Don't rate RB15 at all. Think the 12 cask strength a far better option around that price.

• Advertisement

I prefer the cask strength to the 15 as well. I was just comparing the two 15 year olds and out of the two, i prefer red breast. In saying that, i only did sample the red spot once....will have to give it another go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Drinking my favourite green spot but I got a bottle of Jameson Caskmates stout and its absolutely beautiful. Think I picked it up for 30 euro, really smooth straight.

Got a present of proper no twelve too, it's muck, really really awful stuff.
    35 euro for the rawest whiskey I've tasted is a rip off, it needs a couple more years in the casks. Grand to mix with coke but if your doing that why not just get a jd or regular bushmills?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Tried the Teeling Revival V yesterday. Wasn't a fan - cognac & brandy casks didn't work well for it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

rob316 wrote: »
    Drinking my favourite green spot but I got a bottle of Jameson Caskmates stout and its absolutely beautiful. Think I picked it up for 30 euro, really smooth straight.

Really big fan of stout Caskmates. Its my go to sipping whiskey. Always make sure I have a bottle in the drinks cabinet.
    Got a present of proper no twelve too, it's muck, really really awful stuff.
    35 euro for the rawest whiskey I've tasted is a rip off, it needs a couple more years in the casks. Grand to mix with coke but if your doing that why not just get a jd or regular bushmills?

I have heard no one give it a good review bar the fanboys who mix it with coke (ie clueless).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

I haven't tried the Proper 12...and probably won't either.... but I don't get all the hate towards McGregor on this one... surely if it's rubbish... isn't this down to Bushmillse..and they should be carrying the can?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭VW 1

I havent and wont, unless its free, but i think the issue with it is its a 20 euro whisky being sold for 35,l due to his name being attached, if it was sold for 20 i doubt there would be any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I had it on a visit with Coke and thought it was ok until I found out what it was.... that's how divisive the man is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I was out the other night and got one in the pub for science. Cost me €7 for the privilege. I wouldn't waste the bottle of coke on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Picked up a bottle of Ardmore on special offer on my way back from Scotland and having a wee snifter tonight. Surprisingly nice actually, no age statement so wasn't sure how it would be. It's a peated Highland malt, nice and sweet & not overpowered with peat.

Tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

I’m a lucky lucky man.
    21 Yr old redbreast for my 50th (provided strong hints). Love the 12yr old cask and did side by side. Yup it delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bradley’s in north main st. have an excellent selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭daraghmack

I picked up a few of the Midleton Pot Still taster sets in O'Briens before Christmas for €25, not sure if they still have them but well worth it. Over the last few nights I have been really enjoying trying and comparing them all ....... I must say that I was very impressed with the Green Spot, light and full of flavour. The Barry Crockett was sublime, will be looking to add a bottle of that to the "collection" at some point.

higster wrote: »
    I’m a lucky lucky man.
    21 Yr old redbreast for my 50th (provided strong hints). Love the 12yr old cask and did side by side. Yup it delicious.

I'd love to do a side by side comparison of those two. Last bottle of 21 long gone before i got the CS. From what i remember, the CS is more vibrant and 21 mellower but more complex. How do they compare for you?

Having Ardbeg 10 tonight for my troubles:<

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cazale wrote: »
    I was out the other night and got one in the pub for science. Cost me €7 for the privilege. I wouldn't waste the bottle of coke on it.

I have and could drink any whiskey straight, from supermarket own brand up to the best but I just couldn't drink this. The aftertaste alone was awful, 5 people I gave a drop to and they all hated it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

VW 1 wrote: »
    I havent and wont, unless its free, but i think the issue with it is its a 20 euro whisky being sold for 35,l due to his name being attached, if it was sold for 20 i doubt there would be any issues.

20? That's generous, it seems to be below Bushmills White in quality, which is a €20 whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

L1011 wrote: »
    20? That's generous, it seems to be below Bushmills White in quality, which is a €20 whiskey.

As a disclaimer, I haven't tried it myself but I've been told its pretty much the stuff that Bushmills wouldn't put in the white bottle. So that's a sign of the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

L1011 wrote: »

I was given a taste of it by a friend whose daughter had bought it for him. (He's now disowned her and taken her out of his will!)

My uncle used to have a steady supply of poitin years ago and that tasted more smooth. It's pretty foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

daraghmack wrote: »
    I picked up a few of the Midleton Pot Still taster sets in O'Briens before Christmas for €25, not sure if they still have them but well worth it. Over the last few nights I have been really enjoying trying and comparing them all ....... I must say that I was very impressed with the Green Spot, light and full of flavour. The Barry Crockett was sublime, will be looking to add a bottle of that to the "collection" at some point.

Had the Crockett out of that set as well and have to agree, even as a whiskey dunce, it's pretty extraordinarily tasty.

Homemade old fashioneds on the menu to ring in the new year so it's High West Bourbon for me this evening.

Happy whiskey year, folks!

• Advertisement

Old fashioned's here too...with Bulleit bourbon!

Have a good one all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement