Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws on no backbox?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

bear1 wrote: »
    The op did... The wheel was substituted with an aftermarket one so there is no airbag.

Apologies, my mistake.
    Hard to keep track of the problems with this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Senna wrote: »
    Apologies, my mistake.

No worries. I even started to doubt myself with the amount of issues it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Senna wrote: »
    Apologies, my mistake.

This car has so much mods done to it that it's sounding like Trigger's yard brush :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Daaryl wrote: »
    I know, But i'm just looking to who else i could speak to about the situation who'd help me out

Then let us know what you think of the advice you have been given so far.
    The general consensus seems to be tow the car asap and sell it on. It will work out cheaper and be much less hassle in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op was this the same car that was taken a few months back or is this another car

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gatling wrote: »
    Op was this the same car that was taken a few months back or is this another car

This is not the first time this has happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stheno wrote: »
    This is not the first time this has happened?

Apparently not

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

tuxy wrote: »
    Then let us know what you think of the advice you have been given so far.
    The general consensus seems to be tow the car asap and sell it on. It will work out cheaper and be much less hassle in the long run.

I know but the problem is they're being ****ers about getting it towed out!

When i get it back, It's going into a shed for a few months and i'll get a loan of a car for a while

Gatling wrote: »

No completely different car! Considering i only have this car a month

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nonsense, you've not yet tried to go down there with a tow truck to get it back.

Stop talking bollox as you say yourself, and just work within the confines that your solicitor has specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

What happened to the last car so?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

J@ysus Op, how long have you had the car? Did you buy it from a main dealers or have any of the modifications done by a registered business? You might have some legal recourse to get some money back if you did either.

In relation to the guards, they have given you a report of everything that is wrong with the car that will need to be fixed to get the car road worthy again, you won't be allowed drive it legally without getting it certified by them again, I would imagine with all the guards who have seen it now and how "unique" it is if it's spotted on the road at any stage you'll be pulled over straight away for another check.

In relation to the "taking out the bulbs" to fix the issues, can you post up a scan of the report (removing any personal information of course), the wording of the report could be vital here, if they are reporting an air bag error then you'll need to fix the air bag, if they are reporting the air bag light is on you might get away with removing the bulb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When i get it back, It's going into a shed for a few months and i'll get a loan of a car for a while

They have declared that the car isn't safe to be driven on the road, if they were to let you drive it out they'd be complete incompetents.

Clareman wrote: »

In relation to the guards, they have given you a report of everything that is wrong with the car that will need to be fixed to get the car road worthy again, you won't be allowed drive it legally without getting it certified by them again, I would imagine with all the guards who have seen it now and how "unique" it is if it's spotted on the road at any stage you'll be pulled over straight away for another check.

Having read the Ops thread history, I'd say he's long been on the cops radar before this. He appears to be most unfortunate in the amount of times he has come to their attention with his cars/driving.

No completely different car! Considering i only have this car a month

You bought the car a few weeks before the tax was out, welded the exhaust pipe, swapped out & ordered tyres and managed to get it impounded.

Try to get your money back would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So this is the second car to be seized??

Having read the Ops thread history, I'd say he's long been on the cops radar before this. He appears to be most unfortunate in the amount of times he has come to their attention with his cars/driving.

I'm driving over 20 years and haven't had as much trouble as the poor Op, sometimes you have to look at yourself for issues rather than outside influences.

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would buy a car like that in that condition.

I don't know if it's the second but I'm fairly confident it's not the first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

@goz
    OP said the rest of exhaust was intact.
    OP said car was lowered legally ie. not cut springs.
    OP said guard suspected welded diff however his diff is not welded.
    Tax was out by a few days at the time of seizure cars normally with tax out for such a period of time are not seized.
    Guard found issue with the sticker bombed side windows however there is no legal basis for this as they are not the primary side windows.
    Therefore the number plate and the possibility of the car being too loud are it's only road worthiness faults however full exhaust systems minus rear back box normally passes the db test it may not but they more often than not do.
    Hence I said the car is likely to be road worthy. This is all guess work but I fail to see why you think my guess is from "fairy land".

If it looks like a **** box, it probably is.

Clear enough now? ;)

@ the OP, listen to your solicitor. You won't get advice here and have said so many contradicting things, that nobody will take you seriously anyway. I hope it works out though and you learn a lesson from this.

I don't know if it's the second but I'm fairly confident it's not the first :D

I wonder what happened to the other seized car?

goz83 wrote: »
    If it looks like a **** box, it probably is.

Clear enough now? ;)

@ the OP, listen to your solicitor. You won't get advice here and have said so many contradicting things, that nobody will take you seriously anyway. I hope it works out though and you learn a lesson from this.

Don't forget it sounds like 1 :pac::D

+1 for listening to the solicitor, by the way if you can afford to speak with a solicitor why is the tax out of date and why do you need to ask questions here?

• Advertisement

Don't forget it sounds like 1 :pac::D

+1 for listening to the solicitor, by the way if you can afford to speak with a solicitor why is the tax out of date and why do you need to ask questions here?

And a tow truck! Them boys ain't cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You seriously think it will take just one hour to solve all of the issues you've listed out above?

Yes, When you have your friends helping you it will :)

Is it wrong that i imagined the Greased Lightning scene from Grease?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Cant afford tax or repairs on a car but can afford custom items and a solicitor

This lad has zero, I repeat zero intentional of making the car legal nor will he go out and buy a normal family saloon and leave it at that. The next car will be dropped, modded and generally ****ed with until its once again a little boy racer machine which attracts the Gardai and will again be seized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

It's the second car of this type (e36) that he had seized.

Don't know if there were others before that.

Boater123 wrote: »
    It's the second car of this type (e36) that he had seized.

Don't know if there were others before that.

Was the first one seized for similar reasons?

Buying a modified car with a few weeks tax and a couple of months NCT is a massive risk, if you're going to have a modified car you are going to attract attention from the guards so everything will need to be in order, if it's not you're going to have hassle no matter how you try to spin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Was the first one seized for similar reasons?

Can't remember, been to much flannel from the op to go back over it all again.

Do remember him stating though that it was the one that read 104db. The back box was "missing"on that one as well.

Someone above said to remove the airbag light bulb, don't listen to rubbish like this, if someone said that on the motor forum they'd be banned for life :)
    Airbag light comes on when ignition starts and goes off after 5 seconds, inspector knows this and knows there is no airbag when one was fitted as standard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I know, But i'm just looking to who else i could speak to about the situation who'd help me out

I'd suggest you are the only person who can help you out ultimately.

For whatever reason you appear to be flouting the law at every opportunity and bringing all kinds of attention onto yourself. You also exhibit an over developed sense of entitlement.

Why not buy a nice car, something entirely legal, and enjoy driving that without non stop hassle and brushes with authority?

I'm not having a go at you at all OP, just suggesting how you can enjoy your motoring.

p.s. Sell that BMW!

• Advertisement

I'd suggest you are the only person who can help you out ultimately.

For whatever reason you appear to be flouting the law at every opportunity and bringing all kinds of attention onto yourself. You also exhibit an over developed sense of entitlement.

Why not buy a nice car, something entirely legal, and enjoy driving that without non stop hassle and brushes with authority?

I'm not having a go at you at all OP, just suggesting how you can enjoy your motoring.

p.s. Sell that BMW!

I had modded cars for years, never had issue with guards. Don't have a loud car, don't drive like a tool, guards don't really care about much else.
    Lowered suspension isn't even an issue to guards, they'll assume NCT will flag if something is wrong so they don't care unless something else draws their attention to you, like in the OP case.

Advertisement