Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws on no backbox?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Daaryl wrote: »
    Stheno wrote: »

No the modifications were already done to the car when i purchased it

Eh, I'm confused now. Did you not say you put the straight pipe on the exhaust?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Can some help me out here and tell me who to go to about this?

The psv officer rang me today and was saying the exhaust is illegal, the car is too low, wheels are too big on it, the hids are illegal, and the car has a brake light on and a airbag light on all easy fixes, Now i rang him back a few hours later saying if i accept the report i could have the back and he said yes you can have the car back if you accept the report and i was like grand and asked him who do i go to, To give accept the report of the vehicle, So went in anyway was speaking to a seargent, And he was like hold on there and let me speak to the psv officer, now the psv officer said there's alot more things wrong with the car, Like the exhaust could catch fire at anytime which is a load of bollox, The tracking is off so makes the car so unstable it can't be drove on the roads, bare in mind it's off a small little bit, and there's loads of other things wrong with the car and it's a ball of **** and all this, Now i went to my solicitor and told him the situation and he was like just go back up and tell them you can get the car back if it comes out on a low loader and tell them i said it, I was like grand, Went back up and was speaking to the girl and the seargent was getting annoyed with me at this point, Cause i want my car back, So i rang the station again today thinking the seargent would be finished work, Was speaking to a girl on the phone she was lovely, helpful and sound out, And she was like just come in tonight and ask the gaurd on the desk and say you were speaking to me, I was like right grand thanks, So when i went i was talking to a young gaurd at the desk, And i all i heard was the seargent in the back giving me abuse and abuse about my car, Saying it's a ball of **** and he's only a ****ing eijit all this that and the other, Can anybody help me out here and what to do cause i'm confused on the whole situation, I'm not looking for any comments like deserves you right and all that, Just want help on who i can speak to about getting the car back!

This gets better. So you have a brake light that wouldn't go off, an airbag light that wouldn't go off, illegal hids, too low, wheels too big, the tracking is off, no tax, obscured number plate, obscured vision at the rear, no back box
    That car is a bloody risk on the road.
    The psv inspector is right.
    That car would never pass the nct as it is.
    Your solicitor already told you what to do but you aren't mentioning you said it?
    They will not let you drive that car back, get a tow truck and get it legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

emmetkenny wrote: »
    He listed them in the long post.

The car is not road legal or safe to be on the road so will have to be collected on the back of a truck.

And then what? He rectifies the issue then what is the procedure for getting it back on the road?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Veloce wrote: »
    And then what? He rectifies the issue then what is the procedure for getting it back on the road?

Another psv inspection against the report I'd imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,922 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Veloce wrote: »

Hell have to repair all the items listed in the PSV inspection and then bring the car back on a truck and have it rechecked.

Only then will they say if it's allowed on the road again, or they can say the correct changes havny been made and send you off again.

Much less stress to just sell it on now.

• Advertisement

Another psv inspection against the report I'd imagine?

Yep and he'd have to tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Escapees

The psv officer rang me today and was saying the exhaust is illegal, the car is too low, wheels are too big on it, the hids are illegal, and the car has a brake light on and a airbag light on all easy fixes, Now i rang him back a few hours later saying if i accept the report i could have the back and he said yes you can have the car back if you accept the report and i was like grand and asked him who do i go to, To give accept the report of the vehicle, So went in anyway was speaking to a seargent, And he was like hold on there and let me speak to the psv officer, now the psv officer said there's alot more things wrong with the car, Like the exhaust could catch fire at anytime which is a load of bollox, The tracking is off so makes the car so unstable it can't be drove on the roads, bare in mind it's off a small little bit, and there's loads of other things wrong with the car and it's a ball of **** and all this, Now i went to my solicitor and told him the situation and he was like just go back up and tell them you can get the car back if it comes out on a low loader and tell them i said it, I was like grand, Went back up and was speaking to the girl and the seargent was getting annoyed with me at this point, Cause i want my car back, So i rang the station again today thinking the seargent would be finished work, Was speaking to a girl on the phone she was lovely, helpful and sound out, And she was like just come in tonight and ask the gaurd on the desk and say you were speaking to me, I was like right grand thanks, So when i went i was talking to a young gaurd at the desk, And i all i heard was the seaback giving me abuse and abuse about my car, Saying it's a ball of **** and he's only a ****ing eijit all this that and the other, Can anybody help me out here and what to do cause i'm confused on the whole situation, I'm not looking for any comments like deserves you right and all that, Just want help on who i can speak to about getting the car back!

Are these the lyrics of a new Macklemore song to follow up on Downtown?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

bear1 wrote: »
    This gets better. So you have a brake light that wouldn't go off, an airbag light that wouldn't go off, illegal hids, too low, wheels too big, the tracking is off, no tax, obscured number plate, obscured vision at the rear, no back box
    That car is a bloody risk on the road.
    The psv inspector is right.
    That car would never pass the nct as it is.
    Your solicitor already told you what to do but you aren't mentioning you said it?
    They will not let you drive that car back, get a tow truck and get it legal.

I'd love to know what kind of super mechanics his friends are to be able to sort this in one hour.

Yep and he'd have to tax it.

And I imagine they'd want it to pass the NCT as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If the car in question is dangerous could the Garda have it scrapped at all ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,922 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And show a valid insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

tuxy wrote: »
    I'd love to know what kind of super mechanics his friends are to be able to sort this in one hour.

Taking out the hids in 5-10mins job, fixing the exhaust is about 20mins and welding a backbox onto it, Raising the car up is another 15-20mins, that's them problems sorted right away, Then have to bring it to a auto electrician to get the lights on the dash turned off..

The kind which will remove the light bulb for the airbag.
    There is not a hope in hell you'd sort that out in an hour :D
    Tracking alone would take the bones of 30mins as I suspect the camber is probably fecked too.

The kind which will remove the light bulb for the airbag.
    There is not a hope in hell you'd sort that out in an hour :D
    Tracking alone would take the bones of 30mins as I suspect the camber is probably fecked too.

No because there's no airbag in the steering wheel as there's a aftermarket steering wheel in it.. Probably not have the car done in a hour, Might of being exaggerating about the hour, But could have it all fixed in a day anyway!

Taking out the hids in 5-10mins job, fixing the exhaust is about 20mins and welding a backbox onto it, Raising the car up is another 15-20mins, that's them problems sorted right away, Then have to bring it to a auto electrician to get the lights on the dash turned off..

So as you can see... Not an hour.

No because there's no airbag in the steering wheel as there's a aftermarket steering wheel in it..

Riiight. So how did you intend to pass the nct with the airbag light on?

Ah, I see. Not going to see what the faults are that are causing the lights to be on and fixing it then?

And what if the airbag light won't turn off?

Riiight. So how did you intend to pass the nct with the airbag light on?

Airbag light randomly came back on, It wasn't on when i got it, Just got in my car the other day and lights just came on and wouldn't go off

Depends when he picks it up I suppose but it wouldn't surprise me if they'd ask for proof.
    I completely agree with the police here, one less death trap on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

And what if the airbag light won't turn off? Can't he just remove the bulb? just wondering

• Advertisement

I'm unclear what advice you are look for Daaryl. You are already in contact with your solicitor he will have better advice than anyone on here can offer.

I'm unclear what advice you are look for Daaryl. You are already in contact with your solicitor he will have better advice than anyone on here can offer.

I know, But i'm just looking to who else i could speak to about the situation who'd help me out

Airbag light randomly came back on, It wasn't on when i got it, Just got in my car the other day and lights just came on and wouldn't go off

Ah come on Daaryl. I don't know you from Adam but you are spouting nonsense.
    So randomly one day the ecu realised there was no airbag and the light went on.
    From your opening post you neglected so much.
    You were driving with a brake light constantly on, do you know know how dangerous that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Ah come on Daaryl. I don't know you from Adam but you are spouting nonsense.
    So randomly one day the ecu realised there was no airbag and the light went on.
    From your opening post you neglected so much.
    You were driving with a brake light constantly on, do you know know how dangerous that is?

In fairness, airbag lights come on for many reasons other than no airbag, I had a car that brought on an airbag light because the seat runner had frayed a wire that connected to the seatbelt. Airbags are more complicated than just airbag = yes or no.

Senna wrote: »
    In fairness, airbag lights come on for many reasons other than no airbag, I had a car that brought on an airbag light because the seat runner had frayed a wire that connected to the seatbelt. Airbags are more complicated than just airbag = yes or no.

But surely the moment the airbag was removed the ecu would have noticed no signal being received and flick the warning light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

But surely the moment the airbag was removed the ecu would have noticed no signal being received and flick the warning light on.

Who says there no airbag?? OP stated the airbag light was on.
    But AFAIK if airbag light is on, it will not deploy in an accident.

And if it's the like of a problem with the airbag ecu, it's possible the light won't go off until you fix that

It's an after market wheel with no airbag.
    Whoever took the airbag out may have made some change to stop the ecu showing a warning light. This change could have reset at some point.

Who says there no airbag?? OP stated the airbag light was on.
    But AFAIK if airbag light is on, it will not deploy in an accident.

The op did... The wheel was substituted with an aftermarket one so there is no airbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I know, But i'm just looking to who else i could speak to about the situation who'd help me out

What do you need help for? Your solicitor told you to tow it away. Do that rather than trying to spoof, you are just setting yourself up for a driving career full or "random" checks by the guards as they now know your character.

Advertisement