Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws on no backbox?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

Senna wrote: »
    Back box for your car is 70 quid and can be got in 24 hours if not in stock.
    If I was a guard, I'd probably have done you too. Having a bean tin crappy exhaust is one thing, but to go to the trouble of welding on a straight through pipe when back boxes are readily available, with the excuse that you are waiting for one to be delivered is nonsense.
    Guards know that a welded straight through pipe isn't a temp fix for a day or two, a backbox with holes in it is TEMP until new one arrives.

Wasn't getting a standard backbox, Waiting on a scorpion backbox to come..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

But you can't afford your tax.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Daaryl wrote: »

Would have made more sense to leave the rusty one on until your special back box arrived after your birthday and after you paid your motor tax. What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

So when the old one started to blow, you immediately took it off welded on a pipe and ordered a new one.
    You didn't think to leave the old one on for a few days and wait for the new one to come?
    You can get a Scorpion exhaust in days from camskills etc, it's hardly high end special order stuff.
    Do you really think the guards are that stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

To be honest, I thought the tyre size was fine to go with until it started rubbing with somebody in the back, I'd rather have legal tyres as you can get in more trouble for having bad tyres then no tax, So i thought it was the most logical and safest thing to do.
    THe car is not legal if the tyres rub with passengers in the back, it is lowered too much.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    IMG_8604_700x467.jpg

that number plate is def obscured by the surround

that's before you get to it being a non standard size with smaller font (yes i know these plates can be allowed when the car will not fit a standard size plate. this is clearly not the case here though)
    the plate is illegal and obscured but a standard "long" plate would sort that out.
    Maybe so, There was gaurds behind me when i was driving slow by avoiding potholes, getting over speedramps and avoiding shores sticking up in the ground, If any of those had a problem with the car why didn't they stop me then if it's so dangerously defective? I agree with the plate being obscured but it's not like the whole bottom numbers are covered, You can still make out what numbers they are.
    The fact you had to drive slowly over things like drains and manhole covers should indicate to you that the car is too low because it was obviously screaming it at the Gardai!

The numbers being obscured even partly is illegal. There may also be issues with lighting the number plate as that car is designed to have the long plate so the number plate lights are not set up for properly lighting the square number plates.
    If the guards really had it in for you, they could contact insurance company to see which modifications you have declared on your policy. Lower suspension etc, even an aftermarket backbox can be called a modification by some insurance companies, 123.ie for definite.
    The Gardai have probably already called the insurance company or are waiting till the PSV inspector has made a list of faults/defects and modifications.
    Well it's getting tested tomorrow, And yes all the mods are declared!
    Not really true though.
    More likely just put in the straight pipe as it sounded better with no intention of paying for an expensive back box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

For a forum called "Legal Discussion" there is nothing but Opinionated Discussion in here :eek:

millington wrote: »
    For a forum called "Legal Discussion" there is nothing but Opinionated Discussion in here :eek:

Yes it's peoples opinions on the legal aspect, legal advice is forbidden, so it's just a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What else are you expecting from a forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Judge Zaiden loves cases like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Yes it's peoples opinions on the legal aspect, legal advice is forbidden, so it's just a discussion.
    But so far peoples opinions have been "you deserved it" but very little with the actual legality of it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,323 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But so far peoples opinions have been "you deserved it" but very little with the actual legality of it :rolleyes:

what is there to discuss? the car has no backbox. this has made it exceed the legal limit of 99db.

Can some help me out here and tell me who to go to about this?

The psv officer rang me today and was saying the exhaust is illegal, the car is too low, wheels are too big on it, the hids are illegal, and the car has a brake light on and a airbag light on all easy fixes, Now i rang him back a few hours later saying if i accept the report i could have the back and he said yes you can have the car back if you accept the report and i was like grand and asked him who do i go to, To give accept the report of the vehicle, So went in anyway was speaking to a seargent, And he was like hold on there and let me speak to the psv officer, now the psv officer said there's alot more things wrong with the car, Like the exhaust could catch fire at anytime which is a load of bollox, The tracking is off so makes the car so unstable it can't be drove on the roads, bare in mind it's off a small little bit, and there's loads of other things wrong with the car and it's a ball of **** and all this, Now i went to my solicitor and told him the situation and he was like just go back up and tell them you can get the car back if it comes out on a low loader and tell them i said it, I was like grand, Went back up and was speaking to the girl and the seargent was getting annoyed with me at this point, Cause i want my car back, So i rang the station again today thinking the seargent would be finished work, Was speaking to a girl on the phone she was lovely, helpful and sound out, And she was like just come in tonight and ask the gaurd on the desk and say you were speaking to me, I was like right grand thanks, So when i went i was talking to a young gaurd at the desk, And i all i heard was the seargent in the back giving me abuse and abuse about my car, Saying it's a ball of **** and he's only a ****ing eijit all this that and the other, Can anybody help me out here and what to do cause i'm confused on the whole situation, I'm not looking for any comments like deserves you right and all that, Just want help on who i can speak to about getting the car back!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The psv officer rang me today and was saying the exhaust is illegal, the car is too low, wheels are too big on it, the hids are illegal, and the car has a brake light on and a airbag light on all easy fixes, Now i rang him back a few hours later saying if i accept the report i could have the back and he said yes you can have the car back if you accept the report and i was like grand and asked him who do i go to, To give accept the report of the vehicle, So went in anyway was speaking to a seargent, And he was like hold on there and let me speak to the psv officer, now the psv officer said there's alot more things wrong with the car, Like the exhaust could catch fire at anytime which is a load of bollox, The tracking is off so makes the car so unstable it can't be drove on the roads, bare in mind it's off a small little bit, and there's loads of other things wrong with the car and it's a ball of **** and all this, Now i went to my solicitor and told him the situation and he was like just go back up and tell them you can get the car back if it comes out on a low loader and tell them i said it, I was like grand, Went back up and was speaking to the girl and the seargent was getting annoyed with me at this point, Cause i want my car back, So i rang the station again today thinking the seargent would be finished work, Was speaking to a girl on the phone she was lovely, helpful and sound out, And she was like just come in tonight and ask the gaurd on the desk and say you were speaking to me, I was like right grand thanks, So when i went i was talking to a young gaurd at the desk, And i all i heard was the seargent in the back giving me abuse and abuse about my car, Saying it's a ball of **** and he's only a ****ing eijit all this that and the other, Can anybody help me out here and what to do cause i'm confused on the whole situation, I'm not looking for any comments like deserves you right and all that, Just want help on who i can speak to about getting the car back!

Did you try doing what your solicitor said and go up with a low loader to tow the car away on? If not that's the first thing I'd suggest.

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you try doing what your solicitor said and go up with a low loader to tow the car away on? If not that's the first thing I'd suggest.

I couldn't get one today, But can get one tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

Sounds like the sergeant summed it up fairly well, have to say he is on the ball.

You were correct to contact a solicitor and you will probably have to contact him or her again.

Assuming you had a trailer to take the car away, what explanation did they give for not allowing you to take the car away?

Edit, right you had no trailer so of course you couldn't take it, you'll get the car tomorrow when you have a trailer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I couldn't get one today, But can get one tomorrow morning

Well do that so, it might surprise you to find that when you follow your solicitors advice, it might work, rather than chancing your arm that the sargeant not being there would get your car back.

Are you going to fix all those issues with your car before you drive it again?

Odelay wrote: »
    Sounds like the sergeant summed it up fairly well, have to say he is on the ball.

What did i say? I don't want any pety comments like yours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,938 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can't drive it out. Honestly OP to get it road legal now will cost a fair bit of time and money so it might be better to collect it on a truck and sell it on.

If this is what you decide make sure you tell the buyer everything the guards told you that needs to be fixed so nothing can come back on you.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You can't drive it out. Honestly OP to get it road legal now will cost a fair bit of time and money so it might be better to collect it on a truck and sell it on.

If this is what you decide make sure you tell the buyer everything the guards told you that needs to be fixed so nothing can come back on you.

That's what i want to do is get it fixed anyway, Like it's all stupid small jobs that would take a hour to fix it all, But they're just being awkward about the whole thing

• Advertisement

Not sure where you are from, but if it's a small area, your car will now be a magnet to the guards, better to sell it on or you will have many more threads on here asking why the guards are picking on you.

That's what i want to do is get it fixed anyway, Like it's all stupid small jobs that would take a hour to fix it all, But they're just being awkward about the whole thing

You seriously think it will take just one hour to solve all of the issues you've listed out above?
    Not sure where you are from, but if it's a small area, your car will now be a magnet to the guards, better to sell it on or you will have many more threads on here asking why the guards are picking on you.

Agree 100% I was just thinking the same.

You seriously think it will take just one hour to solve all of the issues you've listed out above?

Yes, When you have your friends helping you it will :)

Yes, When you have your friends helping you it will :)

Who was it you did the original modification work that caused all this grief?

This is great advice.

I imagine you got a bit annoyed with the Sgt so they will be looking out for your car and you will be pulled over a lot more than everyone else. So to me it just wouldn't be worth the hassle of keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Hope you get it sorted Daaryl.

What was the reason the Garda gave you that the car couldn't be taken away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Veloce wrote: »

I imagine the reason is that the car is unsafe to drive on a public road in such poor condition.

Veloce wrote: »

He listed them in the long post.

The car is not road legal or safe to be on the road so will have to be collected on the back of a truck.

Who was it you did the original modification work that caused all this grief?

No the modifications were already done to the car when i purchased it

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I imagine the reason is that the car is unsafe to drive on a public road in such poor condition.

Listed in the post above on this page or the last page.

Advertisement