Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laws on no backbox?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,311 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Daaryl wrote: »
    1, Plates are correct on the car and are not illegal!
    2, Alot of people leave the tax run out a month..
    3, Yes it is loud, But it's not stupid loud to where it annoys everybody
    4, It's low but it's not rubbing every second low, Only rubs if there's somebody in the back, My old e36 was a bit lower and went through the nct with no issues.
    5, Stickers aren't obstructive where they are!
    6, I know there's no backbox as i thought it was fine as my last few cars went through the nct with no back boxs in them and had cats and silencers and nothing was said.

104 dB would annoy most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

1, Plates are correct on the car and are not illegal!
    2, Alot of people leave the tax run out a month..
    3, Yes it is loud, But it's not stupid loud to where it annoys everybody
    4, It's low but it's not rubbing every second low, Only rubs if there's somebody in the back, My old e36 was a bit lower and went through the nct with no issues.
    5, Stickers aren't obstructive where they are!
    6, I know there's no backbox as i thought it was fine as my last few cars went through the nct with no back boxs in them and had cats and silencers and nothing was said.

1, yet you say the plates are partially obscured.
    2, and alot more keep their tax up to date. No tax, no drive.
    3, your opinion is at odds with the law and what is deemed acceptable.
    4, it shouldn't rub at all. Doesn't sound very road worthy.
    5, though not illegal, i'm sure they obscure what woukd otherwise be a clear view.
    6, why no back box? Sorry, but that just seems pointless. I genuinely don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

goz83 wrote: »
    1, yet you say the plates are partially obscured.
    2, and alot more keep their tax up to date. No tax, no drive.
    3, your opinion is at odds with the law and what is deemed acceptable.
    4, it shouldn't rub at all. Doesn't sound very road worthy.
    5, though not illegal, i'm sure they obscure what woukd otherwise be a clear view.
    6, why no back box? Sorry, but that just seems pointless. I genuinely don't get it.

1. You can read the plate fine, You'd wanna be blind if you can't!

2. I had no money to tax and it was getting taxed at the start of march since it's my birthday ina few days!

3.Maybe my opinion is at odds but everybody knows when a car is loud or not, And it's not loud considering the cat and a silencer is still in it!

4. It's only rubbing because of the tyre size on the car, I'm waiting on a unusual size tire to come even though there's brand new ones on it at the moment, Smaller tyre size = no rubbing at all!

5. Stickers aren't a issue for me anyway, Maybe for others but i can see fine looking through the side windows with them!

6. The backbox was completely rusted and there was holes in it, Only stuck a straight pipe on it while i wait to get a new backbox for the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

2. I had no money to tax and it was getting taxed at the start of march since it's my birthday ina few days!

3.Maybe my opinion is at odds but everybody knows when a car is loud or not, And it's not loud considering the cat and a silencer is still in it!

4. It's only rubbing because of the tyre size on the car, I'm waiting on a unusual size tire to come even though there's brand new ones on it at the moment, Smaller tyre size = no rubbing at all!

5. Stickers aren't a issue for me anyway, Maybe for others but i can see fine looking through the side windows with them!

6. The backbox was completely rusted and there was holes in it, Only stuck a straight pipe on it while i wait to get a new backbox for the car!

Not to sound like a d1ck, but if you can afford to buy brand new tires while you wait for an unusual size tire to come in (thus, presumably paying for 2 sets of tyres), you could afford to tax it. Similarly with the backbox/straight pipe issue - although you said your other cars have had straight pipes so anyone would be forgiven for suspecting we might be getting half-truths here.

Having said that, it does sound like seizing the car was a bit heavy-handed. If you explained all this (temporary rubbing issue, temporary straight pipe, tax being done soon...) in a calm manner and didn't get stand-offish with the garda, he/she was (imo) wrong to take the car. 10 days to present tax and exhaust and tyres at a Garda station would be enough, I reckon. Probably doesn't like modified cars. If, however you started off on the wrong foot with him/her, you were never going to win. If you're driving something modified, a bit loud, lowered, stickers etc. you need to be whiter than white when stopped or dealing with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,922 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If your hard up for cash you should sell the car and buy a bike ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Judging by this is a recurring thing its safe enough to say...how to put it...you look the part. Tone it down if you want less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Not to sound like a d1ck, but if you can afford to buy brand new tires while you wait for an unusual size tire to come in (thus, presumably paying for 2 sets of tyres), you could afford to tax it.

The tax is less than a month out if I understand correctly. Also when he does go to tax it he'll have to pay the back tax as declaring a car off the road after the fact is no longer possible.

Many of us have to juggle bills and I'll tell you one thing - if my wife was driving our car with minimum tyre thread and the tax was due I know which one I'd be prioritising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

"My E36 got seized for having no backbox on it"

It got seized for quite a lot more than that.

"There was a complete exhaust system on it"

No there wasn't, you removed the back box "because it was rusty!?!!"

"it wasn't loud at bar it idling and small bit loud in 1st and 2nd"l

So it's only loud some of the time. And you have no idea how loud, it was your previous e36 that was recorded at 104db.

Are you seriously asking whether its legal or not to have such a vehicle on public roads?

Not to sound like a d1ck, but if you can afford to buy brand new tires while you wait for an unusual size tire to come in (thus, presumably paying for 2 sets of tyres), you could afford to tax it. .

To be honest, I thought the tyre size was fine to go with until it started rubbing with somebody in the back, I'd rather have legal tyres as you can get in more trouble for having bad tyres then no tax, So i thought it was the most logical and safest thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

To be honest, I thought the tyre size was fine to go with until it started rubbing with somebody in the back, I'd rather have legal tyres as you can get in more trouble for having bad tyres then no tax, So i thought it was the most logical and safest thing to do.

LOL, you're some man.

"My Lord it was a question of safety. As you can see I am a most responsible driver. I forwent the tax to allow me to stop in this fierce weather we've been having."

Please, please, pleeeeeaaaase try this one and let me know how you get on.

Edit "Furthermore the exhaust was to warn the village I was approaching."

• Advertisement

LOL, you're some man.

Thanks boy i do try lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

The Decibel scale is a logarithmic scale.
    For every 10dB increase the level of noise is doubled.
    4dB is a significant margin

Personally, I congratulate the Garda for his/her diligence. Loud exhausts are an anti-social nuisance.

thats putting it mildly. Things should be done to drivers who insist on putting bean tin cans on their cars for no other reason than to make a 1985 Micra sound like it has a hole in the exhaust.
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    The tax is less than a month out if I understand correctly. Also when he does go to tax it he'll have to pay the back tax as declaring a car off the road after the fact is no longer possible.

Many of us have to juggle bills and I'll tell you one thing - if my wife was driving our car with minimum tyre thread and the tax was due I know which one I'd be prioritising.

thats not the same though is it? Does your wife spend money modifying a 2litre car thats 15 years old and then messing with the exhaust, reg plate, windows and suspension while also getting a nice new set of alloys with the tyres?
    That's your own opinion, Keep it yourself, I'm sure alot of people on this site hate or don't mind them!

We hate them. Very very few people like them, sleeping children especially dont like them when you are driving up and down a residential area deliberatly making the damn piece of **** sound as loud as possible.

You were driving an old, unsafe, modified to look like a twat BMW at a 'meet'. No sympathy, hope it gets crushed

PS. Has it still not got a front reg plate?

esforum wrote: »
    thats putting it mildly. Things should be done to drivers who insist on putting bean tin cans on their cars for no other reason than to make a 1985 Micra sound like it has a hole in the exhaust.

We hate them. Very very few people like them, sleeping children especially dont like them when you are driving up and down a residential area deliberatly making the damn piece of **** sound as loud as possible.

You were driving an old, unsafe, modified to look like a twat BMW at a 'meet'. No sympathy, hope it gets crushed

You seem nice..

That's fair enough, and I did think of that while I typed, but not knowing if this was the 1st or 5th thing the Garda picked up on, you could maybe see where the skepticism came from. If he saw a lowered car, loud exhaust etc. and then the rubbing tires, he may have already formed an opinion that you were modifying before paying tax and the 'couldn't afford it' argument was out the window.

Also, in response to the other poster, I have of course juggled bills and let tax go longer than 1 month in the past (before I moved to a country where motor tax is non-existent) but I have always been extra squeaky clean in other respects and well aware of the need to not draw attention while driving in that situation. And agreed on the safety issue, but as I said, I was just giving reasons why the Garda may have formed a different opinion before the tax issue came up.

Attending a meet with a garda presence and driving around slowly (rather than parking in the back corner and walking about) might not have been the best idea. Still think you were hard done by to have it seized even though he was 'technically' allowed to, according to what others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

thats not the same though is it? Does your wife spend money modifying a 2litre car thats 15 years old and then messing with the exhaust, reg plate, windows and suspension while also getting a nice new set of alloys with the tyres?

Maybe he bought it that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jdmsupra

t

PS. Has it still not got a front reg plate?

I'd love to see your Prius get crushed old depressed lady get a life .

That's fair enough, and I did think of that while I typed, but not knowing if this was the 1st or 5th thing the Garda picked up on, you could maybe see where the skepticism came from. If he saw a lowered car, loud exhaust etc. and then the rubbing tires, he may have already formed an opinion that you were modifying before paying tax and the 'couldn't afford it' argument was out the window.

Also, in response to the other poster, I have of course juggled bills and let tax go longer than 1 month in the past (before I moved to a country where motor tax is non-existent) but I have always been extra squeaky clean in other respects and well aware of the need to not draw attention while driving in that situation. And agreed on the safety issue, but as I said, I was just giving reasons why the Garda may have formed a different opinion before the tax issue came up.

Attending a meet with a garda presence and driving around slowly (rather than parking in the back corner and walking about) might not have been the best idea. Still think you were hard done by to have it seized even though he was 'technically' allowed to, according to what others have said.

There was other cars that were in worse condition then mine, For example there was a 98 passat there no front reg, on it's arse literally probably cut springs in it and nothing get said to him, There was cars there with no front regs and nothing got said..

Jdmsupra wrote: »
    I'd love to see your Prius get crushed old depressed lady get a life .

My cars legal so it wont and editing posts doesnt change anything

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jdmsupra

What do you drive then ? A ****box yeahhh?

Technically no car is legal when you think about it, The car passes the nct that day it's legal then, You're driving down the road you hit a pothole going down a country road, You'll knock something out of place or damage a cv boot, spring etc, Now that car won't pass the test, So technically everybodys car could get took for no being defective..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

The safest thing is to buy a Volvo.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator:

Jdmsupra banned. Some people. :rolleyes:

For others, please don't engage with posts like that, or feed trolls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Daaryl, start digging up mate!

To quote some american cop meme when he pulled a guy for speeding:

Speeder: "why me? everyone was speeding!!"

Cop: "Have you ever been fishing?"

Speeder: "Yes, once or twice..."

Cop: "Did you catch all the fish in the river or just one or two?"

You were caught bro, fair and square (if proven) so stop with the 'there were worse than me' speak and maybe concentrate on a defense for the condition of your car.

It doesn't matter that others weren't caught, and it's not a defense for having an unroadworthy car.

if you cant afford tax buy a cheaper and smaller car then.

or sell the alloys

There was other cars that were in worse condition then mine, For example there was a 98 passat there no front reg, on it's arse literally probably cut springs in it and nothing get said to him, There was cars there with no front regs and nothing got said..
    Technically no car is legal when you think about it, The car passes the nct that day it's legal then, You're driving down the road you hit a pothole going down a country road, You'll knock something out of place or damage a cv boot, spring etc, Now that car won't pass the test, So technically everybodys car could get took for no being defective..

I'm pretty much on your side, but these are not valid arguments. I like the fishing reference above. Sums up the situation pretty well. You were hard done by, but these arguments won't get you out of it. Showing up to the garda station with a tax disc and a receipt for an order placed for a back box and new tyres might help.

NCT has never been a certificate of road worthiness, just proof that on the test day (once every year or 2) the car was road worthy, which means it's not in terrible shape. Plenty of cars probably could be taken for being defective, but Gardai don't stop everyone on the off chance an invisible part might be in bad condition. They'll pick the most obvious targets that they'll likely find something wrong with. Best advice - decide you love the sleeper look and go for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Do you think the guards may have mistaken you for someone that has a history of being stopped? They will be much harsher on people that are known to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The tax is less than a month out if I understand correctly. Also when if he does go to tax it he'll have to pay the back tax as declaring a car off the road after the fact is no longer possible.

The story keeps getting better. I would question the truthfulness of the tax being out only since last month. Maybe it was January though.....January 2015.

Yeah, we certainly do have to juggle the bills. I wouldn't let my wife drive below minimum tyre depth either. If the tax was out, I reckon my priority between safe tyres and car tax would be "you're not driving the car. Get the bus".

Wouldn't matter what way he bought it. Only matters how he keeps it.....or not, in this case, as it was confiscated.

The other cars aren't your concern. Only your car is your concern. It doesn't sound like it was very road worthy.

Wrong. Car passes nct and is legal until the nct expires, unless there is a dangerous defect that isn't noticed/repaired.

It might seem harsh that your car was taken, but it seems like there were too many things wrong with it, which is why it would have been taken. If the tyres rub when someone sits in the back, sorry, but no amount of excuses can convince me that it's safe to be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Op you realise that when you tax the car in March you will need to back tax it from February.
    Honestly I think that if you cant afford to keep the car on the road or afford proper tyres then maybe you shouldn't use it until you have the funds to do so.
    Will you need to pay a seizure fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

No haha, I meant to say it was at 104dbs, My bad for that

At 104dbs you are 5db over the limit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I don't believe there is any specific legal requirement to have a backbox on your car but you must comply with noise regulation (and emissions) you'd fail an NCT for having an exhaust that's exceeds the legal limit on both.

Was it just the backbox removed? Was there any resonator on the midpipe that was also removed? The exhaust at that db is very high - I'd have thought it was decatted or something.

Advertisement