Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

cros13 wrote: »
    Test drove one yesterday.

One trim will be offered in Ireland which is equivalent to the top trim in the UK.

I was quoted €34k before the grant. €29k with the SEAI grant (both including dealer/delivery charges).

Possibly some room for discounts.

Drove it in sport mode with max regen. Reasonably close to one pedal driving. Acceleration is smoother than the Leaf but seems to top out a little earlier despite the specs listing 10% more motor power.
    Ride quality pretty similar. More cabin space, particularly leg room. Boot is bigger as well. Infotainment system much better than the '16 Leaf, easier to use and better laid out with android auto and apple carplay.

So bottom line:
    Better equipped than a Leaf SVE for €1500 less money.
    Hatchback sedan with more space for passengers and cargo.
    Excellent build quality

The only pause I'd have picking the Ioniq over the Leaf would be the state of the eCars CCS network.

How would you rate it in compared to a BMW i3?
    given that it has a bigger boot and more seating.
    I would reckon that the new i3 has a greater range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

Took one for a test drive today, I found the paddle system to be very intuitive, there is hardly any need to use the brake unless coming to a full stop.
    The dash is like it came off the Starship enterprise, great if you like gadgets and tech.
    Interior and boot space is comparable to the I30, boot maybe a little smaller.
    The dealer says they have sold 2 ev and one hybrid since last Thursday. It will certainly go on the shortlist if I change next year.
    Good to see a little more variety in the EV market.
    The sales guy also said there about 400 free home chargers still available from the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

And the fact it's only 28 Kwh + Hyundai have stated they will offer more Kwh later in production, though at what cost is anyone's guess.

Did you get the efficiency stats for longer trips ?

Nope, and I was the 2nd person to drive the car since it rolled off the delivery truck so it was showing over 220km of range when I drove it.
    jerryg wrote: »
    How would you rate it in compared to a BMW i3?
    given that it has a bigger boot and more seating.
    I would reckon that the new i3 has a greater range.

I took one of GoCar's 94Ah i3s out for 24 hours and put 400km on it last week to compare with my own 60Ah i3. Now, comparing REx with REx comes with some issues, mainly that due to complaints from (idiots in) the american market where the REx was not user-controllable and had a software limited fuel tank, BMW has severely decreased the depth of discharge on the 94Ah i3 REx to avoid them reducing motor power for aggressive driving at low SoC.

I'd strongly suspect from the instantaneous kWh/100km readings on the the the Ioniq (I drove the same route in my i3 just after) that the Ioniq beats the Leaf's efficiency (particularly at 100km/h+) but not the i3 (until 100km/h+). That's largely down to aerodynamics and weight differences. the i3. I'd ignore the EPA MPGe rating system (note not the EPA range estimates which are a very reasonable approximation) as it has some fairly glaring design problems.
    The 28kWh Ioniq should have a touch more range in daily use than the 30kWh Leaf even with the smaller battery. It doesn't have a hope of hitting the range of the lighter 35kWh i3 BEV, which I'd reckon has 15/30km on the Ioniq in Motorway/City driving.

Definitely an i3 has way more motor power with less weight, rear wheel drive and much better steering so for smiles/km the i3 has the Ioniq beat. My perception was that the Ioniq was slower than my Leaf despite 10% more motor power output.

But the i3 and Ioniq are meant for different markets. It's a competitor to the Leaf not the i3. And I think as an EV... the Ioniq beats the Leaf.

I'll also point out that the i3 is more practical than people think. The passenger cabin is larger and more comfortable than the 3-series, and with the seats folded you have well over 1000L of storage (You can for example put a washing machine in the back in it's packaging...and close the boot..with space for more stuff...I've personally done it with my i3).

The I3 looks quiet Narrow though. And from looking through the window seems to have quiet a bit less space than a leaf, though sitting inside might tell a different story.

No doubt the I3 will have more driving fun. It's a shame the 200 HP bolt is not coming to Ireland.

I'd still be very cautious about buying a new Ioniq right now, If Leaf II is to be released in 2018 then it will be announced early 2017 or I doubt it will be seen until late 2018. I would expect Leaf II to be announced in Detroit in January, It's just too near to buy a new EV right now.

denismc wrote: »
    Took one for a test drive today, I found the paddle system to be very intuitive

I thought the plastic used for those paddles seemed to be the far cheaper and flimsier than any of the other materials in the cabin.... if there was one place they should have spent a few euro extra it would be on those.

I also drove on a basically full battery, and found the same issue with regen being limited as the Leaf.

• Advertisement

The I3 looks quiet Narrow though. And from looking through the window seems to have quiet a bit less space than a leaf, though sitting inside might tell a different story.

Definitely more passenger space than the Leaf, little less legroom for rear passengers/but more headroom and substantially more space up front.
    Storage space with rear passengers in the car is an entirely different story admittedly.
    No doubt the I3 will have more driving fun. It's a shame the 200 HP bolt is not coming to Ireland.

Yup, I would have loved to see the Bolt if only for the range. Though the i3 is a touch faster (better power to weight).
    I'd still be very cautious about buying a new Ioniq right now

if it meets someone's needs.... I think it's a good option.

if it meets someone's needs.... I think it's a good option.

Sure, if the person won't be kicking themselves if they offer more Kwh in the Summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a never ending game, Mad Lad

A better version is always just around the corner. No point waiting (and not buying) until the end of time hoping the perfect car will almost be with us :p

Yes that's true but the changes around the corner are not going to be small.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

They mightn't be small, but they should allow for a bigger discount on current models to move stock.

I know I'd prefer to have a few extra grand in my pocket for the sake of having to charge the car a few dozen time extra per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It is a maturing technology. We all purchased new laptops as the speed and scale of what they could do fulfilled the need for most of us.
    Now most don't change laptops until it breaks down.
    Same with ecars. They soon will reach a range and suitability to suit most of us. In effect, they will have matured. Maybe 1 to 2 years at most.
    We have a 30Kw Leaf but won't change the 2nd car, a diesel, until this time at least.

It's not just about a maturing technology, there is not much choice out there at all.

Not everyone wants a small hatch and that's all the electric cars that are being made, and there's really only the Leaf and Zoe for people to choose from that's more affordable, I mean that's just ridiculous and that is not likely to change until 2020+ there is absolutely no affordable EV on the horizon that's going to be larger than the Leaf. In fact it's unlikely there will be any other EV apart from Leaf and Zoe by then, possibly the Model 3 and maybe the 3 Series EV but that's only possibly and the 3 Series won't be cheap and neither will a Model 3 in any half decent trim.

Nissan have the experience now so why don't they build an EV Xtrail ? Qashqai ? because they don't want to simple as, they thought the Leaf would sell in far greater numbers than it has but people don't want to be so restricted to one small hatch but this is exactly what the market wants, larger electric cars and definitely more range.

I bet Leaf II with 350 Kms range would sell a lot better but I doubt it will sell as well as the Diesel Quasqai in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Soarer wrote: »
    They mightn't be small, but they should allow for a bigger discount on current models to move stock.

I suspect the last thing Nissan Ireland need is to lower residuals any more then has already happened by encouraging further discounting

My understanding is that it's Nissan's aim to bring out an EV on all its range by 2020?

Water John wrote: »
    My understanding is that it's Nissan's aim to bring out an EV on all its range by 2020?

Electric version of the new Micra next year (it's built on a platform shared with the Clio and Zoe), new leaf Q4.2017/Q1.2018, and a compact SUV in mid to late 2018. The Note ePower series hybrid should also be in europe early next year.

I don't think the Micra EV is to be released outside of Japan.

Water John wrote: »

Yes Nissan did say they hope to have an EV option for their entire fleet from 2020. Here's hoping.

I don't think the Micra EV is to be released outside of Japan.

I think you mean the Note? The main factory for the new EU Micras is literally the same factory in Flins that builds the ZOE.

I have it from three different sources the epower Note will hit Europe next year.
    Nissan public position is to deny everything and that there are no immediate plans to bring e-power to Europe but Ghosn himself said e-power would be competitive in Europe.
    Unofficially, they've already had test-vehicles shipped over.

Are you talking about hybrids or EV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Test drove one yesterday.

One trim will be offered in Ireland which is equivalent to the top trim in the UK.

I was quoted €34k before the grant. €29k with the SEAI grant (both including dealer/delivery charges).

Possibly some room for discounts.

Drove it in sport mode with max regen. Reasonably close to one pedal driving. Acceleration is smoother than the Leaf but seems to top out a little earlier despite the specs listing 10% more motor power.
    Ride quality pretty similar. More cabin space, particularly leg room. Boot is bigger as well. Infotainment system much better than the '16 Leaf, easier to use and better laid out with android auto and apple carplay.

So bottom line:
    Better equipped than a Leaf SVE for €1500 less money.
    Hatchback sedan with more space for passengers and cargo.
    Excellent build quality

The only pause I'd have picking the Ioniq over the Leaf would be the state of the eCars CCS network.

Where did you test this? I tested one in Westmeath today, and was told the price was €39k before grant, €34k after grant.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Saw one in the flesh today. Not sure what to make of it!

RRP is €28,495 Presume this does not include SEAI Grant. Though it looks like they may be including it, which is incorrect RRP.
    Scrappage of €5K available.

+ if you have a trade in of any decent value they'll bump up the list price to rip you off !

I always advice negotiating via e-mail then everything is recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

+ if you have a trade in of any decent value they'll bump up the list price to rip you off !

Huh, a simple cross check with another garage will stop that , never seen it happen in reality , too easy for the dealer to be cross checked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Popped into my local Hyundai today for a nosey.

Very nice car, inside and out. Certainly easier on the eye than the Leaf. Price on the window was €34995.

I would have quizzed the salesmen a bit except none of them came near me. I spent about 5 minutes looking in and around it in the showroom but the 2 lads sat at their desks doing nothing stayed put instead of trying to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Unbelievable stuff. You'd think they would have lost that attitude by about 2008 / 2009 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unkel wrote: »
    Unbelievable stuff. You'd think they would have lost that attitude by about 2008 / 2009 :rolleyes:

They have a better lineup and sell more cars now than back then though!

I do agree with you though, they should be chasing everything. Maybe they don't have any to sell for ages but this is probably their most important car yet.

So the RRP is €35K. We can all do the other sums for ourselves.

• Advertisement

35 K ? absolutely no chance at that price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement