Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

unkel wrote: »
    I posted it here before. Might have been over a year ago! Fair play to whoever in AGS made the decision to purchase that car. Much more suitable than the usual Hyundai i40 diesel for Dublin metropolitan police . Maintenance costs on Garda cars is enormous. Almost zero maintenance on an EV.

Ioniq has massive regen first before the friction brakes are applied, even if you stamp on the brakes. Isn't that right, liamog? :D

Is it definitely an EV? I thought they usually say 'electric' on the boot?

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1083293359920295936

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Ive seen it out and when I was leaving a match in Croke Park, it was being used to block traffic. Had the closed electric grill anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's electric alright. Had it confirmed to me by a Garda in my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The Garda twitter text says its an EV... "The fully electric Hyundai ionic is on display..."

And sur the Guards wouldnt lie like! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They also don't usually say Garda on the side. The main 'tell' is the nose, the electric has a giant gray blanking plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Carried over from the Leaf thread...

I updated my software when my car was 1 week old. I asked the dealer to make sure it had the newest software before I collected it. He assured me that it would... it didn't.

Life's short, take risks. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I know most of the people who post here are EV drivers but do folks have much experience with the Ioniq Hybrid?

I'll probably be buying a car at some stage this year and though I love the idea of the EV but it's probably a bridge too far for now both in terms of price and practicality but I could probably stretch the budget to the likes of this or this.

I would intend to trade in on a full EV in a few years then when there's a bit more variety available and the infrastructure has improved a good bit.

Any advice appreciated.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I love the idea of the EV but it's probably a bridge too far for now

It might. Or it mightn't.

-Price wise you do see the occasional Ioniq EV for under GBP20k. That's hardly any more than the hybrids you linked. Interestingly enough, the BEV was cheaper new than the PHEV or the hybrid. A few regulars have picked up a 191 Ioniq for €26k on the road. Now that's good value for money.

-Practicality - what is your driving pattern? What long drives (>180km) do you do and how often do you do them? What is your annual mileage?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It might. Or it mightn't.

-Price wise you do see the occasional Ioniq EV for under GBP20k. That's hardly any more than the hybrids you linked. Interestingly enough, the BEV was cheaper new than the PHEV or the hybrid. A few regulars have picked up a 191 Ioniq for €26k on the road. Now that's good value for money.

-Practicality - what is your driving pattern? What long drives (>180km) do you do and how often do you do them? What is your annual mileage?

Ok so my daily commute wouldn't be a problem at all, it's only a 50/60km round trip.

There would be a trip to south galway maybe once a month to see the OH's family that's 105km each way from where I am. I don't think an ioniq could manage that on a full charge would it? (motorway from Tuam onwards) I'd have to rely on the availability of a fast charger along the route to make it back?

Outside of that I would usually have some reason to do longer trips a couple of times a year whether it be for weddings, weekends away or whatever.

I do roughly 13000 miles a year in my 08 citroen berlingo currently.

How did they manage to get a 191 for 26k? I assume through scrappage and the SEAI granst? Would I even get scrappage for an old berlingo?

I'm very conflicted over the whole thing, I want the EV no two ways about it but I'm afraid I'll end up regretting it so the hybrid seems like a good compromise for now.

You would end up regretting getting the hybrid. As for scrappage, it depends on the dealer. I used the scrappage myself and the dealer didn't even look at my car until after I had finalised the deal and taken reception of my Ioniq.

210km round trip, you won't make that in winter, unless you drive really gently. In summer, much less of a problem. Not sure how much motorway driving is involved. The other trips a few times a year are less relevant

And for the 210km trip, all Ioniqs come with both a standard charge cable (for public and private charge points) and also a "granny" cable. The latter plugs into any 3 pin socket. Even on a bad day in winter, plug in the Ioniq into a standard socket at your in laws for an hour, maybe 2 and drive home at speed no problem

But really, don't take my word for it. Book yourself a 24h test drive (free) and go do that trip to your in laws. See how you get on. Warning: you'll probably buy one

Took my own 24h test drive this week 2 years ago and bought it the next day :D

• Advertisement

About 50km each way is motorway so just under half the journey.

Have you had to do many long trips in it? Say Dublin to Cork?

Me? No. And when I got the car, 2 years ago, there were well less than half of the EVs around that there are now. And almost all of them would never charge more than 30 minutes at a fast charge point. The handful of trips I had to fast charge on were no problem at all. And I was confident there wouldn't be any major issues, worst case scenario is half an hours wait, never more than one car ahead of you in the queue, and that was if you were unlucky

Now it is completely different with a lot more EVs around, and in particular a lot of new Leafs, that can charge up to 2 hours at a fast charger (if the owner is ignorant, which a lot of them seem to be). I have regularly seen 4 EVs at my local fast charger (only 1 car can fast charge at a time)

I'd be very reluctant to drive beyond the range of my car and rely on a public fast charger. Until there are Ionity chargers (and / or the public charging network is improved - there is a little bit of money for this from the last government budget, but I'm not holding my breath). The first one is being built at the moment, should be open before the end of next month, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Me? No. And when I got the car, 2 years ago, there were well less than half of the EVs around that there are now. And almost all of them would never charge more than 30 minutes at a fast charge point. The handful of trips I had to fast charge on were no problem at all. And I was confident there wouldn't be any major issues, worst case scenario is half an hours wait, never more than one car ahead of you in the queue, and that was if you were unlucky

Now it is completely different with a lot more EVs around, and in particular a lot of new Leafs, that can charge up to 2 hours at a fast charger (if the owner is ignorant, which a lot of them seem to be). I have regularly seen 4 EVs at my local fast charger (only 1 car can fast charge at a time)

I'd be very reluctant to drive beyond the range of my car and rely on a public fast charger. Until there are Ionity chargers (and / or the public charging network is improved - there is a little bit of money for this from the last government budget, but I'm not holding my breath). The first one is being built at the moment, should be open before the end of next month, hopefully.

Is is just a case that the queues are a Dublin or heavily urban thing? I travel the length and breadth of the country and my last spin was just before Christmas, up to Malin Head from Wexford. On that trip I had only one wait: on the way home, behind a L40 charging at Coynes Cross. I seldom have to wait at chargers away from urban areas.

If it is just locals sucking up free juice? This might change with the imminent introduction of charges for charging.

Just in case anyone missed it, the two Chademo chargers between Wexford and Rosslare port have been replaced with new Efacec 50kW triple head units.

Have Ionity said where the 9 sites are going to be? Only one I could see on their site is Cashel.

What would you do if you had to do a 300km+ round trip?

For example, I've had to go to Cork from Mayo 4 times in the last 2 and a half years, one of those was there and back on the same day. I was trying to plan out the route on zap map and a fast charge in Ennis would get me there but if that charger is out of order there wasn't any other fast chargers on the route at all until I reached Cork City. I suppose renting an ICE for the day/weekend would be the way to go in those scenarios?

Is is just a case that the queues are a Dublin or heavily urban thing? I travel the length and breadth of the country and my last spin was just before Christmas, up to Malin Head from Wexford. On that trip I had only one wait: on the way home, behind a L40 charging at Coynes Cross. I seldom have to wait at chargers away from urban areas.

If it is just locals sucking up free juice? This might change with the imminent introduction of charges for charging.

Just in case anyone missed it, the two Chademo chargers between Wexford and Rosslare port have been replaced with new Efacec 50kW triple head units.

And two Dublin CHAdeMO chargers were also replaced with EFACEC triple heads this week. Several others were done in the last few months, giving much better coverage for CCS charging in the north west quarter of the country. I guess I am overly pessimistic and in practice, outside of Dublin, you'd be very unluckly to have to wait more than an hour. Which personally I have no problem with. I have chosen to go for an EV and I know the consequences. If I were on my own in the car, I would make plenty of allowances for the possibility I'd have to wait. And I would entertain myself no bother on my phone for as long as it took to wait.

That said, I would not be in a good situation if I had all my family on board on a family trip and we would unexpectedly have to wait 2 hours at a fast chargers :o

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have Ionity said where the 9 sites are going to be? Only one I could see on their site is Cashel.

What would you do if you had to do a 300km+ round trip?

For example, I've had to go to Cork from Mayo 4 times in the last 2 and a half years, one of those was there and back on the same day. I was trying to plan out the route on zap map and a fast charge in Ennis would get me there but if that charger is out of order there wasn't any other fast chargers on the route at all until I reached Cork City. I suppose renting an ICE for the day/weekend would be the way to go in those scenarios?

3 Ionity sites have applied for PP, one was granted and is being built (Cashel), the other 6 locations are unknown as of now afaik

You're doing a bit more than one long trip per year. I would just allow plenty of time, plan the trip with plan Bs in mind if chargers are broken and just go for it and relax. A lot less hassle than renting an ICE :) And chances are you will be fine without any waiting times and without any unexpectedly broken chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Part of my logic in buying my Ioniq is the Ionity network coming "soon".

Pure speculation on my part, but they'd have to put one between Dublin and Belfast, and Dublin and Galway etc.

It will be CCS only so Leafs, the most popular electric cars in Ireland, cant charge there so it should ensure good availability too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Would you Ioniq EV drivers estimate roughly what range I could expect on 2 types of my typical driving?

1. Approx 90 km round trip on rural Co Wexford roads, max speed limit 80 km/h. In reality probably average 70 km/h.

2. N Roads. No motorways on most of my routes unfortunately, so 100km/h speed limits, probably 90km/h in reality with traffic.

I would imagine both these scenarios would be ideal for an EV, also great for my petrol ICE, I can easily achieve 5l/100km in 1. And a little worse in 2.

@eagerv - with normal driving both will be similar enough at around 250km summer, 200km winter (2. obviously a little bit better than 1.)

With hypermiling, an Ioniq owner on the continent did pretty much 1. (maybe a touch slower) and got 430km and still had 4% range left.

@eagerv - with normal driving both will be similar enough at around 250km summer, 200km winter (2. obviously a little bit better than 1.)

With hypermiling, an Ioniq owner on the continent did pretty much 1. (maybe a touch slower) and got 430km and still had 4% range left.

So the only time you'd really see the 160km or so range would be if you were doing motorway speeds or driving for extended periods at the speed limit on a 100kmph road? Other times you'd be talking over 200km range easy?

• Advertisement

Pretty much. In summer you'll see 170-190km at 120km/h (GPS) speed. In winter around 160km. Both a good bit more on 100km/h roads.

Interesting, thanks unkel.

I would have expected 1 (Slow, country B roads) to be better for efficiency. I suppose in my ICE it's more efficient because the car is basically running at it's slowest possible speed in 6th gear.

Due to change in a few months, want to go EV, Ioniq probably the best value for my type of driving. Would prefer Kona/Niro but Ioniq range would suit me 99% of the time.

eagerv wrote: »
    I would have expected 1 (Slow, country B roads) to be better for efficiency. I suppose in my ICE it's more efficient because the car is basically running at it's slowest possible speed in 6th gear.

You're right, 1. will be a bit better but there is not an awful lot in it. Basically from about 90km/h aerodynamics come into play increasing quadratically with the increase of speed. At some point I checked what consumption I was getting at top speed (168km/h GPS iirc) and posted it here on this thread. The range wasn't good :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭denismc

Interesting, thanks unkel.

Due to change in a few months, want to go EV, Ioniq probably the best value for my type of driving. Would prefer Kona/Niro but Ioniq range would suit me 99% of the time.

I'm currently getting 216km on national roads between Kinsale and Cork at max 100kmph, this goes down to about 200 in frosty weather, the temperature really does affect you range.
    Also twisty roads have the effect of slowing the car somewhat and thus increasing energy consumption.

denismc wrote: »
    I'm currently getting 216km on national roads between Kinsale and Cork at max 100kmph, this goes down to about 200 in frosty weather, the temperature really does affect you range.
    Also twisty roads have the effect of slowing the car somewhat and thus increasing energy consumption.

I know that road fairly well so gives me a fairly good indication, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

2. N Roads. No motorways on most of my routes unfortunately, so 100km/h speed limits, probably 90km/h in reality with traffic.

I did a trip at the weekend on similar roads. I had 44% starting off so I tried to drive as efficiently as possible - Drive mode set to Normal, climate to 19c AUTO and used regen on/off to coast when possible. Drove mostly between 80-100km/h with traffic in a few towns bringing the overall average down.

Trip: 81.5km
    Average Speed: 67km/h
    Time: 01:18h
    Efficiency: 11kWh/100km (250km+ range)
    Temp: 7-8c

I did a few trips one around the Dublin dity area and one on regional roads mainly in Kildare last summer, both in sport mode, but with a light foot, no cruise control, no fast accelerating and no regen. Just for the craic, to see what I would get if I left my usual heavy foot at home. On both I got about 9kWh/100km, or a range of over 300km. Just driving smoothly, no hypermiling techniques like pulse & glide and I had the aircon on (as it was warm)

No chance I could ever get 430km, but this goes to show that anyone can get the NEDC range in this car with a light foot. Probably the only EV that you can do that in.

I did a few trips one around the Dublin dity area and one on regional roads mainly in Kildare last summer, both in sport mode, but with a light foot, no cruise control, no fast accelerating and no regen. Just for the craic, to see what I would get if I left my usual heavy foot at home. On both I got about 9kWh/100km, or a range of over 300km. Just driving smoothly, no hypermiling techniques like pulse & glide and I had the aircon on (as it was warm)

No chance I could ever get 430km, but this goes to show that anyone can get the NEDC range in this car with a light foot. Probably the only EV that you can do that in.

Sorry, I'm a bit of noob with this stuff. What do you mean by pulse and glide? I assume hyper miling means trying do get max range out of the battery?

Yes. P&G is a hypermiling technique. You accelerate to say 105km/h, then let the car coast until it slows down to 95km/h, rinse & repeat. It uses less energy than driving at a constant 100km/h

It's anti-social though imho if there is traffic behind you...

• Advertisement

Sure sounds it. If someone was doing that on front of me I'd probably think they're messing with me :pac:

Good to know though!

Thanks for all the info, you've fairly sold me on going EV over hybrid anyway. Will have to see about that test drive now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement