Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

patmac wrote: »
    Hi folks, my Hyundai Ioniq 191 is ready apart from one small tiny detail, it has no charger, the garage which is 60km from where I live cannot give me an ETA on the cable!
    I was going to collect it on Saturday anyway and use the granny cable in the car and I was wondering would that be ok short term also my journey is 55km each way to work, I might be able to plug it in at work.
    I could use the current Fiesta for the longer journey's but that is complicated by the fact that my wife's car is being scrapped.
    Not a great start to my EV career. Any advice as always would be appreciated.

I was in a similar situation while I waited for the charger grant to come through. I had the exact same distance to cover daily so I’d be home with about 40% battery after work. I’d plug straight in on the granny cable after work and it would be 100% by morning.

Any more charging needed and I’d just go to the fast charger - dunno if you’d have one nearby, but even a slow charger would get you a good charge in 2-3 hours if you needed it. You couldn’t live with those restrictions long term, but it was fine for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hi folks, my Hyundai Ioniq 191 is ready apart from one small tiny detail, it has no charger, the garage which is 60km from where I live cannot give me an ETA on the cable!
    I was going to collect it on Saturday anyway and use the granny cable in the car and I was wondering would that be ok short term also my journey is 55km each way to work, I might be able to plug it in at work.
    I could use the current Fiesta for the longer journey's but that is complicated by the fact that my wife's car is being scrapped.
    Not a great start to my EV career. Any advice as always would be appreciated.

55km each way is 110 total, which could use anything from ~50% to 65+% of the battery depending on the driving pattern (motorway, n road, speed etc).

Granny cable takes 16 hours from flat to full, so 8-10 hours overnight would easily cover that daily drive. If you could plug in at work even better, but not necessarily required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Apologies I meant to say it has no cable only the granny cable, I have no home charger yet and will not have for 2 weeks. Will it be ok to use a granny cable for 2 weeks, without any long term damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Apologies I meant to say it has no cable only the granny cable, I have no home charger yet and will not have for 2 weeks. Will it be ok to use a granny cable for 2 weeks?

I think most people rely on the granny charger for a time after they get their first EV. There is a process to go through to get the grant and you can do none of the work until the grant is approved (in theory:p).

Granny charging is doable, even long term, as long as you can plan in advance, as it takes much more time. It's even better for the battery as they like slow charging best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

it has no CABLE, the garage which is 60km from where I live cannot give me an ETA on the cable!
    I was going to collect it on Saturday anyway and use the granny cable in the car and I was wondering would that be ok short term

Yes. Note fast chargers do not need you to provide a cable, they all have cables attached. You may have trouble with running granny cable from inside to outside and locking door or window. An extension lead through the letter box worked for my first few weeks. If you need extension get one with a waterproof socket and connect car end last and disconnect car end first when full. You must fully unroll extension lead or it WILL catch fire. Note on the ioniq the best way to release car end is to unlock the car a second before you try to unplug. This stops the charging and unlocks the cable. Just charge from when you get home all night. The car will display the hours until full a few seconds after charging starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Will it be ok to use a granny cable for 2 weeks, without any long term damage?

Quite the opposite, it's actually theoretically better for the battery to charge it slowly :) (doesn't make any difference in real life)

As long as you do is safely as per zg3409's post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Fresh off the forecourt :D:D:D

469457.jpg

Ioniq_191.jpg

Thanks to everyone here for the info and advice, wouldn't have picked up an EV today without it!

Lovely to drive, delighted with it, will report back once I get a few more KMs under my belt.

Get the grill wrapped in glossy black. Now is your chance to do it when it is still in perfect condition! And maybe the roof too?

Well wear, now go drive the bejaysus out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

New Years Eve, I ran out of juice, 1km from home (thanks to an unscheduled trip to out-of-hours doc).

I've been in turtle mode before, but before long power dramatically reduced -- topping out at 20km/h, before stopping altogether. Once emptied, you can't even turn the 'engine' on, or put the car in drive.

I know you're not supposed to, but stuck it in neutral and got towed home the 1km by my brother in his Navarra. Fully charged and motoring away ever since.

Glad you got sorted :)
    I know you're not supposed to, but stuck it in neutral and got towed home the 1km

Are you not supposed to? I can't see it do any harm to the car.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Glad you got sorted :)

Are you not supposed to? I can't see it do any harm to the car.

I think the manual recommends lifting the front wheels if being towed, I guess to prevent the battery over-charging from regen, though if it's in neutral I suppose it makes no odds.

Gently towing at low speeds with all fours on the road for 1km in N won't make any difference I don't think. Just don't tell Hyundai that just in case :)

You are aware that we are all covered by the AA for recovery (to our home or to a garage) for free? And most people with comp insurance have free recovery included as well. AA is a superior service though, within Dublin they'd usually be with you within the hour.

Gently towing at low speeds with all fours on the road for 1km in N won't make any difference I don't think. Just don't tell Hyundai that just in case :)

Exactly my calculation!

Yep, covered for recovery on the insurance but so close to home, after a long day, didn't fancy calling it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Get the grill wrapped in glossy black. Now is your chance to do it when it is still in perfect condition! And maybe the roof too?

Good advice... if you are going to wrap get it done immediately. Otherwise any imperfections in in the grill (eg stone chips etc) will also appear in the wrap.THis is what happened with mine. A tiny little bump/chip, which drove the wrapper totally mad, although to be honest although he showed me exactly where it was I've been unable to find it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Mine still ain't registered. Waiting for seai folks to open....
    But I did get it wrapped! So I concur on the above! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

deegs wrote: »
    Mine still ain't registered. Waiting for seai folks to open....
    But I did get it wrapped! So I concur on the above! :)

Car looks great.

Hope the SEAI gets sorted quickly

Dealer needs a kick up his hole. Grant should have been requested by the dealer before the car was even on the boat in South Korea. (just needs VIN). Unless the SEAI were extremely slow responding.

Dealer needs a kick up his hole. Grant should have been requested by the dealer before the car was even on the boat in South Korea. (just needs VIN). Unless the SEAI were extremely slow responding.

To be fair I only got my loan approved on the 22nd December so couldn't actually confirm till then. They've held the car for me for a few weeks and have been great to deal with. Xmas hols and busy times, no hassles really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

When does dealer know a car is been allocated to them.

Also does a specific car need a customer name to apply.

My impression of recent Ioniq arrivals is that the cars were on a ship long before the new owners knew they would be even able to buy these cars.

Fairly sure the Ioniq order book status for much of 2018 in Ireland was "closed - don't have a clue when cars will arrive".

Or have I got that totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

agree car loks great, just wondering the black on the bumper and the roof, was that an extra cost?

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    When does dealer know a car is been allocated to them.

Also does a specific car need a customer name to apply.

My impression of recent Ioniq arrivals is that the cars were on a ship long before the new owners knew they would be even able to buy these cars.

Yeah you both have that right. It was very different in my own situation where I ordered the car on 19/1/2017 for expected delivery in late February. Didn't get the car until 07/04/2017 at which point I had had the VIN and the SEAI approval for well over a month. Also had my free night rate meter and free home charge point installed about 5 or 6 weeks before I got the car :D

cloughy wrote: »
    agree car loks great, just wondering the black on the bumper and the roof, was that an extra cost?

Roof was 120
    Darker tint on Windows 150, to give Tesla paranomic look on roof to back
    Front and back bumpers were 120

390 in total

Done by Tony in API tint in Midleton. Amazing attention to detail and work

Thanks for all the info,I had intended to get it wrapped, but we actually like the gray now!!

Wicklow's looking well today ;)

Suspension is very comfortable on those Wicklow mountain roads :D

Auto LKAS is a pain though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Suspension is very comfortable on those Wicklow mountain roads :D

Auto LKAS is a pain though

We moved the LKAS up to the highest setting, much better then. The system is designed to annoy former BMW drivers, you have to use the indicators when changing lanes to stop it beeping at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

How much is a new Ionic EV on the road including grants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

fguinan wrote: »

Do you have a trade in?

fguinan wrote: »
    30k or 26k with scrappage.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you have a trade in?

I have a 2ltr petrol Passat! Gets about 25 mpg on a good day!

• Advertisement

I traded in a 2ltr petrol yesterday and have spent today whizzing around Wicklow in my Ionic and spent zero on fuel 

I'll save more than the car cost me over 5 years, so essentially a free car!

If you do more miles than me, you'll save more!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement