Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,223 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good luck with the test drive :)

Also, mandatory viewing:

Ioniq Winter test - Bjørn Nyland - December 2016

I had test driven a Leaf in mid 2016 and I could get a good deal on one (sub €20k on the road with metallic paint and 6.6kW charger), but the range just didn't cut it for our only family car. Driving it hard took 20km off the range over 5km. Not giving me any confidence. Watching the above test made me go take a 24h test drive of Ioniq and I bought it the next day (after 10 hours of busy communication / negotiation with the dealers :D)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sent the request for the test drive on the website just there :) I actually drive right by the local Hyundai dealer on my way home so I might have to pop in for a nose about.

I just saw on the site the scrappage only runs until the 31st of January so that's probably cutting it a bit tight for me though (assuming they would even accept a van). Don't really intend to buy until the spring/summer.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I just saw on the site the scrappage only runs until the 31st of January

They always say that. I betya on February 1st or thereabouts the website is changed to say it only runs to 28th of February :p

Beware though, dealers handle the scrappage process differently. Some stick to the rules from Hyundai Ireland, like you having had to own the car for so long, the car having a valid NCT, etc. Other dealers don't care as long as you dump some sort of wreck with paperwork on their forecourt.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'll definitely be hoping for the latter in that case. Only info I can find about vans being accepted for scrappage is when you're buying another van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Wasn't there a dealer in Limerick that would use one of their trade in bangers as scrappage? You didn't even need to see the car, just sign the paperwork and smiiiile. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

About 50km each way is motorway so just under half the journey.

Have you had to do many long trips in it? Say Dublin to Cork?

I've done Dublin to Tralee fairly often. Probably once or twice a month. I've only had issues with chargers twice. I've done it as day trips often too and it's been fairly painless. Main issue is that what would take about 4 hours return in the diesel (with coffee stops) takes an extra 30 minutes.

Wasn't there a dealer in Limerick that would use one of their trade in bangers as scrappage? You didn't even need to see the car, just sign the paperwork and smiiiile. :D

Definitely a dealer in Dublin who did that... Our car was worth about 4 grand so with the scrappage and selling our own car we had a new Ioniq with leather seats for 23k in aurora silver. No complaints from us on that front. Running costs work out about 3k a year less so in about 6 years time we start to be in profit + the value of the car.

I've done Dublin to Tralee fairly often. Probably once or twice a month. I've only had issues with chargers twice. I've done it as day trips often too and it's been fairly painless. Main issue is that what would take about 4 hours return in the diesel (with coffee stops) takes an extra 30 minutes.

Where would your charge stops be out of interest?

I've been doing a bit of messing on zap map and Dublin Airport looks handy enough from here. Top up in Longford, then again at the airport, and Longford again on the way back. The extra time is a small price to pay and sure it would break up the journey nicely anyway.

Where would your charge stops be out of interest?

I've been doing a bit of messing on zap map and Dublin Airport looks handy enough from here. Top up in Longford, then again at the airport, and Longford again on the way back. The extra time is a small price to pay and sure it would break up the journey nicely anyway.

I've done Roscrea for 25 mind and then Newcastle West for 10 mins. It can be done with one stop in Limerick but that charger is a nightmare with locals!

The airport is best avoided as a charge point, the location of the charger means it's often blocked or in use.

This site can be useful: https://abetterrouteplanner.com

Ah thanks, that site seems very good. When I tried to do your route on zap map last night I don't think it suggested Newcastle West as a stop so I couldn't figure out where was handy for a charge after Roscrea and there wasn't enough juice to get back to Roscrea from Tralee after a charge.

Just one thing to help me understand a bit about the different chargers. So I know the Ioniq is CCS, when I look at the Newcastle west esb chargers on zap map there is no CCS, so are you using the "Type 2" there or what? (I'm pretty sure I read you can't use Chademo with the Ioniq)

Sorry for the questions :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just one thing to help me understand a bit about the different chargers. So I know the Ioniq is CCS, when I look at the Newcastle west esb chargers on zap map there is no CCS, so are you using the "Type 2" there or what?

According to the ecars app, there is CCS there. It's sometimes referred to as "Combo DC" so maybe that's why you don't see CCS? I think that might be one of the chargers that has only got CCS recently, so another explanation is that it just isn't up to date on zap map.

(I'm pretty sure I read you can't use Chademo with the Ioniq)

That's correct!

Newcastle West we only upgraded to have CCS in the last year or so. I think Zap Map shows the old version.

The ecars app is annoying but generally reliable as once when I was caught out the CCS was down in Roscrea but Zap Map didn't have that info. Now I always check eCars to see the status of chargers on route!

A brother of mine lives in Westport and I've done that with a single stop in Longford and granny cable at his place. Ireland is such a small country that an EV can be a minor pain given the charging network but it's infrequent enough annoyances that are, for me at least, outweighed by the driving experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yeah, Use Zap Map with caution! Their information is often out of date.

It caused me a headache in the UK a while ago. Zap Map said a charger was out of order and I avoided it. Due to lack of choice in the area, I had to try it and it was working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

Not only that - he sold me the car, changed the paperwork of the car to my name, processed it as scrap, I never actually saw the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

out of interest, has anyone seen first had, or heard of / read any reports whatsoever of the battery SOH (State of Health) dipping below 100%? One would expect that now, after a couple of years there would be some reports of battery degradation in the wild?

Fermi wrote: »
    Not only that - he sold me the car, changed the paperwork of the car to my name, processed it as scrap, I never actually saw the car.

You're the boss :p

My car was ready for the junkyard, just a few days NCT left. Took the pretty decent Bosch battery out of it and replaced it with a dead old battery. Jump started the car, kept my fingers crossed and it made it all the way to the dealers (20km). No doubt the last trip that car ever made :)

Had two dealers say they would take my van for scrappage which would be great, Of course it broke down 100m from the car park at work this morning. The joys of it.

Haven't been able to nail down a date for a test drive yet but I'm probably dreaming here anyway, don't think I can justify the financial ouutlay for the car at all at the moment unfortunately when I look at my finances. I'll probably have to spend whatever to get the van back on the road for a few months then see what my options are on the 2nd hand market later in the year.

Maybe next time for the EV but it's not looking likely right now unfortunately.

Did you do some proper sums, Mickeroo? Of course you will have to either come up with a lot of cash up front yourself or get finance, but if you calculate the total cost of ownership, it might be cheaper than you think. And if you get the car cheap (€26k on the road), your depreciation will be minimal (easily the lowest of any car you can buy new right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Did you do some proper sums, Mickeroo? Of course you will have to either come up with a lot of cash up front yourself or get finance, but if you calculate the total cost of ownership, it might be cheaper than you think. And if you get the car cheap (€26k on the road), your depreciation will be minimal (easily the lowest of any car you can buy new right now)

+1

mickeroo, you need to crack out the spreadsheet.... what are you spending on the van on diesel and now getting it back on the road plus ongoing maintenance on it since its already acting up.

Get a quote on the finance and work out the monthly's and then decide if you can afford it or not.... you might find you cant afford to keep the van and a new(or s/h) car is cheaper!... alot depends on your mileage.

If you want to pm me I have an xls that I used for same purpose....at the time I was thinking of giving it to my Hyundai dealer as they were all utterly ****ing clueless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

anyone in Dublin get a test drive of an Ioniq, I have completed the on-line form with EPM on long-mile requesting a test drive, and not as much as a reply or acknowledgement of the mail.

Think may try alternatives, as would like to drive the car, as Drove the Kona but felt it was too small boot wise for the money, so want to see what Ioniq actually like, but then may wait for E-Niro depending on price and spec,

KCross wrote: »
    +1

mickeroo, you need to crack out the spreadsheet.... what are you spending on the van on diesel and now getting it back on the road plus ongoing maintenance on it since its already acting up.

Get a quote on the finance and work out the monthly's and then decide if you can afford it or not.... you might find you cant afford to keep the van and a new(or s/h) car is cheaper!... alot depends on your mileage.
    If you want to pm me I have an xls that I used for same purpose....at the time I was thinking of giving it to my Hyundai dealer as they were all utterly ****ing clueless

Thanks lads, I've basically been going on the spending breakdown from my online banking.

I don't think I spent over 2500 on the van last year between diesel, cvrt, tax (not including insurance in that figure as it would be similar on the EV I think). Fuel alone was roughly 1700 I think (generally fill up with 65 or so every two weeks), my mileage is relatively low/average at only 13000 a year as my commute is quite short.

I haven't looked at finance offers from dealers yet bar whats on their websites, I was looking at the "eco car" loan from my credit union which is a minimum of 20k but at a smaller APR than the regular car loan. I would look to apply for that 20k loan and make up the rest from savings. So say a 7k from savings then loan repayments of about 4800 for the year for 5 years for a 191 on the road.

I know I'm not factoring things like depreciation into the above but to me on paper at least it's maybe a 5000 euro loan +fuel/maintenance/etc for a used ICE vs a 20000 loan for a new EV.

I will PM you for that spreadsheet irishgrover as I think I badly need it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

For 13000kms:
    You'll be spending ~€342 on leccy for the year on standard rate or ~ €155 on night rate ( based on the ioniq having 28kw usable and doing 180km per charge)

so, ioniq will save you ~€2158/~€2345 on fuel costs but you'll then be paying ~€4800,on the loan, a year to drive it...

€4800 on the loan is not the same as cost. In fact it is far more than the depreciation + interest, so you would be building up equity in it (akin to saving money into a savings account)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

€4800 on the loan is not the same as cost. In fact it is far more than the depreciation + interest, so you would be building up equity in it (akin to saving money into a savings account)

I struggled with this part too, it's very easy to equate monthly loan payments with your old monthly fuel bill and determine "savings"

However for an accurate figure you need to account for depreciation as the cost, and not the loan payments.

I don't want to clog the thread with financial advice but can you explain that a bit to me? Pm if ye feel this is too much of a derailment

If you bought Ioniq for 26k on a loan (5% APR) and you paid back 450 a month and you sold it after 3 years for 17k, it meant the car did not cost you 450 per month (the payment on your loan)

The car cost you 26k-17k over 3 years, which is 250 per month in depreciation and 5% of the average outstanding balance of 21.5k is 90 per month in interest

So the car cost you a total of 340 per month, not 450 per month (plus of course tax, insurance, and electricity)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

out of interest, has anyone seen first had, or heard of / read any reports whatsoever of the battery SOH (State of Health) dipping below 100%? One would expect that now, after a couple of years there would be some reports of battery degradation in the wild?

I haven't seen any figures but I did get this from my dealer...

"In relation to the EV Battery Warranty on the Kona and Ioniq Models, the  EV High Voltage Battery is 8 years/ 200,000Kms (whichever occurs first), with a 70% state of health condition."

70% seems low to me!

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I haven't seen any figures but I did get this from my dealer...

"In relation to the EV Battery Warranty on the Kona and Ioniq Models, the  EV High Voltage Battery is 8 years/ 200,000Kms (whichever occurs first), with a 70% state of health condition."

70% seems low to me!

yes, 70% does seem low.
    However I am unaware of any person anywhere in the world reporting SOH < 100%. Giving that the cars is a couple of years old now this surprises me. I was thinking maybe
    a.) The SOH will not decrease until the "hidden" part of the battery is used up. For example if actual battery capacity is 31.x but advertised as 28 then SOH only begins to display a decline once capacity goes below 28.
    b.) The PID used for SOH in torque pro is wrong.
    c.) It's a truly exceptional battery
    d.) Degradation is happening just no one is reporting it yet, or I just have not seen those reports.

• Advertisement

FYI... I've had multiple requests for the above. I need to tidy it up a bit, which I hope to do over the weeked.

For those that PM'ed, I'll look at it over the weekend and then share it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement