Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Bigus wrote: »
    Here's a Czech auto mag test to empty battery look up in google chrome and translate

I couldn't bring the table over intact , but the ioniq put the 30 kWh leaf to shame going 165 km to empty vs 122 for the 30 kWh leaf under adverse wintry fast road conditions.

The Leaf shows 22.3 kWh/100km which is appalling, and way below average. Most will average around 15 kWh/100km.

liamog wrote: »
    Just got the word through that our finance is approved for the Ioniq.

We're in Dublin West so a good few CCS spots around.

You don't really need them near where you live, you have home charging for that (which is slower but better for battery life).

It's along the route to where you want to go that's the crux. E.g. drive from West Dublin to Sligo. While relatively easy in the Leaf, the last CCS charger is Enfield M4 motorway services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

n97 mini wrote: »
    The Leaf shows 22.3 kWh/100km which is appalling, and way below average. Most will average around 15 kWh/100km.

Well it was equal conditions for all 3 cars tested,

as The testers said cold , wet and fast, so maybe the Ioniq is better under harsh conditions , or equally it could go 200 km plus in ideal circumstances .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

liamog wrote: »
    Just got the word through that our finance is approved for the Ioniq.

We're in Dublin West so a good few CCS spots around.

Best of luck, I would have held out for a larger battery if you could but if it suits you then happy days.

Villain wrote: »
    Best of luck, I would have held out for a larger battery if you could but if it suits you then happy days.

It seems to go quiet a long way on the current battery because of inherent efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+1

For me the battery capacity wouldn't matter much at all. As long as the car can do 160 km with normal driving at the speed limits and the aircon on. I rarely do over 160 km of driving in a day. And on the few occasions a year where I did have to do that, I'd use the chargers and I'd accept that the journey will take longer. I'd say most people are within these specs, so for all those people the battery / range in the Ioniq are adequate and they would not pay thousands extra for a bigger battery (or postpone buying an EV for another year or two)

The spec may suit some but what if they bring out a larger battery so quickly as rumoured it will kill residual of current model.

The spec may suit some but what if they bring out a larger battery so quickly as rumoured it will kill residual of current model.

Rumoured by who ?

Everybody assumed that the 30 kWh leaf negated the newness of the Ioniq, whereas in reality , Hyundai seem to have moved the game on considerably. I can't wait to see somebody doing a max range ( econo drive ) challenge in an Ioniq in favourable conditions.

Indeed. And the arrival of the 30kWh Leaf didn't do anything to the residuals of the 24kWh Leaf, did it?

In fact the older Leafs (with aging batteries) are holding their value remarkably well (even in the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Perhaps - if you are talking about new cars in both case. However, will they be able to sell the newer models at the same price-point as the older ones (i.e. will they be more expensive due to battery capacity or have they hit economies of scale and tech advancement such that this won't be necessary)?

If not, residual value on any new EV will be hit hard on the first few years - as they simply have not 'settled' in terms of their development (i.e. each iteration of fresher/newer released EV's involves incremental improvements on what went before.
    unkel wrote:
    In fact the older Leafs (with aging batteries) are holding their value remarkably well (even in the UK)
    Yeah, and in the UK, I'm not seeing 2nd hand 24kWs pricing any better over the last few months. Still can't find a deal to match the car I bought back in July/August - and that was before the sterling adjustment took place.

• Advertisement

Rumoured by who ?

Not rumour, Hyundai said they will offer more range later in production and on that basis I think people should think carefully about buying any new EV now.

Leaf II is due to be announced in a few days (which is rumour), exciting times !

If you look at how Prius residuals have hardened over the last 4 years ( more so in the uk than here), there's hope for Leafs retaining more value as Word spreads of the benifits of EV s.

As more restrictions are put on diesels , I'd be far more worried about diesel resale value in the next the next few years.

Leaf II is due to be announced in a few days (which is rumour), exciting times !

Yes exciting EV times , right now, it reminds me, of when I saw the first ever smart phone and decided that they'd never catch on because something that complicated couldn't ever be reliable for,everyday use. But I can see EVs having the same ramp up as smart phones soon.

Exciting times for EV enthusiasts , but the majority of the motoring public couldn't care less until the time comes that they have to , the lack of Ev models certainly isn't helping EV sales.

I would love a larger EV like the X-Trail for instance but the Leaf suits me for most of my driving needs but I still want a larger EV.

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. And the arrival of the 30kWh Leaf didn't do anything to the residuals of the 24kWh Leaf, did it?

Not what Nissan dealer told me when I enquirer about my 142 SVE, he said he couldn't shift 24kw with 30kw now available

I was offered a good trade in from Deansgrange last year when I was having a mad notion to change the leaf for the 30 Kwh. Really glad I didn't because it hadn't enough of a range increase to make sense to have to pay cash to change and I have work charging.

The 6.6 Kw is going to sell quicker, so they were keen to get mine.

Well it was equal conditions for all 3 cars tested,

as The testers said cold , wet and fast, so maybe the Ioniq is better under harsh conditions , or equally it could go 200 km plus in ideal circumstances .

All it proves (to me anyway) is that the Leaf hammers you for driving badly, something I already knew.

My average for 2016 in the 24 Kwh Leaf is 18 or 18.5 Kwh/100 kms. I don't think this is too bad considering I don't drive too easy.

Trip averages are different and I have seen 13.1 Kwh/100 kms to 22.5.

Not what Nissan dealer told me when I enquirer about my 142 SVE, he said he couldn't shift 24kw with 30kw now available

They can't shift them as they're asking too much. And they'd prefer to sell you a diesel, in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They look to be getting around 210-220 km range which suits us pretty well. Galway, Cork and Belfast look to be equipped for CCS chargers.

I think there is a move by the EU to bring in CCS for all type approvals soon. Probably explains why Hyundai are using Chademo outside the EU and CCS inside.

They can't shift them as they're asking too much. And they'd prefer to sell you a diesel, in my experience anyway.

Holy sh1t I just checked Nissan calculator and the GMFV is now almost half what it was when I Purchased mine in 2014!!

At least they have learnt something but that means the monthly cost is mad money now!

Yeah cause they can make more money by charging for labour, parts etc. Of course they'd rather sell you a diesel.

Holy sh1t I just checked Nissan calculator and the GMFV is now almost half what it was when I Purchased mine in 2014!!

At least they have learnt something but that means the monthly cost is mad money now!

Half on the Xe perhaps, going to be higher on the SVE.

That puts a leaf beyond sensible on PCP, a new SVE leaf would be €140 extra a month to me!!

I see this now, when I got the Leaf there was no calculator for PCP.

I put in 5K down, 25-30 K kms per year, 36 months. and GFMV 5,076 Euro's. My GFMV was 12,500 or close.

My Pm payment is now 458 PM it would be 541 = 83 euro's pm in the difference even with the lower interest.

However, there is no way the leaf would be worth as low as 5K in 3 years and 60 K Kms, so I would say there is a much greater chance of having more value in the car in 3 years than based on a GFMV of 12,500 euro's.

They can't shift them as they're asking too much.

Exactly! Why would anyone be interested in a 142 Leaf for €15k when you can buy a brand new one in the colour you like for €20k? Madness.

Well at least it seems they have adjusted the GMFV down.

Back on topic the GMFV of the Ioniq is 7,979 so it's more realistic.

5.9% PCP is bit sore though, you would want to be doing decent milage to save on fuel compared to a similar sized Petrol or diesel which have far better GMFV so less monthly cost when financed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Perhaps not at the ruddy prices Irish dealers are trying to sell them for!

• Advertisement

Well at least it seems they have adjusted the GMFV down.

Back on topic the GMFV of the Ioniq is 7,979 so it's more realistic.

5.9% PCP is bit sore though, you would want to be doing decent milage to save on fuel compared to a similar sized Petrol or diesel which have far better GMFV so less monthly cost when financed.

But far higher fuel costs and higher maintenance costs and motor tax, even so, I'd pay a premium to drive EV, if it cost the same as diesel I'd still choose the EV , I can't stand driving ICE's now.

The Pre heating I'd find difficult to let go going back to ICE.

I drove my Brothers A4 recently and as lovely a car as it is the TDI was a let down, 180 HP Quattro DSG, press the throttle and the delay seems forever, felt like it had a lot less power than the 104 HP Leaf, however after 120 Kph it was notably faster, obviously with 80 odd extra HP.

Even a Petrol is going to feel like an eternity to apply power compared to EV.

The A4 was quieter though than the Leaf and I loved the Auto cruise and obviously lovely interior, but the TDI.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement