Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I understood PM didn't accept shipments from outside the EU. Has this changed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I understood PM didn't accept shipments from outside the EU. Has this changed?

I have no idea about PM.
    An Post's Address Pal have absolutely no issue with US and Canadian imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have no idea about PM.
    An Post's Address Pal have absolutely no issue with US and Canadian imports.

So what happens when you have to pay import duty?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seve OB wrote: »
    So what happens when you have to pay import duty?

With eBay- you pay it to the initial carrier at the outset- unfortunately it goes to the UK taxpayer- rather than the Irish- however, its significantly lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

So tomorrow, July 12th is Amazon Prime Day*.
    Can anyone remember if there were any good deals on Android phones in last year's Prime Day as I'm on the lookout for a named-brand deal?

* For Amazon Prime subscribers only. if you're already not a Prime subscriber then you can sign up for a 30-day free trial. https://www.amazon.co.uk/primeday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

So tomorrow, July 12th is Amazon Prime Day*.
    <snip>

https://www.amazon.co.uk/primeday

Set a reminder for "tonight"... It's midnight don't forget. :)

What is prime? do you get extra discount for being a prime member or what are the benefits?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What is prime? do you get extra discount for being a prime member or what are the benefits?

You get faster shipping for free. There are some other benefits but last I checked none of them including the free faster shipping work for Irish customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

qClAl0D.png?1

The free 1 day delivery is only good if you use a parcel motel etc service to use N.I/UK address but I think they give Irish users free super saver delivery without the minimum £25 order. (not 100% certain on that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    [I think they give Irish users free super saver delivery without the minimum £25 order. (not 100% certain on that)

Can anyone else confirm this to be the case?

It might make prime a bit more attractive if it was..

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭IrishBlaine

UsedToWait wrote: »

No its not true,

Still charging me under the threshold even though im a Prime member, You still have to have 25£ in your basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

UsedToWait wrote: »

Oh well.

You can still add a game that's not out for a few months to your order to qualify for free super saver delivery, then when you receive the rest of your order. Cancel the game.

(*I do not condone such actions :P )

(**Unless they've 'patched' that now too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Oh well.

You can still add a game that's not out for a few months to your order to qualify for free super saver delivery, then when you receive the rest of your order. Cancel the game.

(*I do not condone such actions :P )

(**Unless they've 'patched' that now too)

They have or at least were looking at it and in the US at least aswell they have stopped refunding the difference if something you've bought (except TVs) comes down in price within 7 days of you buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Prime only works in the UK.
    It's gets you free next day delivery to PM without a minimum spend.

Movies can be used with a VPN.

So it's a waste of time here then really

What is this prime day lark so? Just a con to get you to sign up and spend.

It's not exactly cheap is it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Went through all lightening deals, found nothing that had not already come up in the last 10 months without Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Er, it's not July 12th yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Er, it's not July 12th yet...

There are over 130 pages of upcoming lightening deals covering July 12th.. One needs to look ahead and see what will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

It's just an exclusive sale for prime members. So yeah, a con to get you to sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭NATLOR

It's just an exclusive sale for prime members. So yeah, a con to get you to sign up.

If there is something worth getting tomorrow you can always take the free months trial. Cancel straight away so you don't forget later

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Prime only works in the UK.
    It's gets you free next day delivery to PM without a minimum spend.

Movies can be used with a VPN.

US also works with a Prime sub on Amazon UK. Also, if you download the Opera Developer browser, you get a free integrated VPN, which currently allows you to switch between Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Singapore and US as often and whenever you like. Unfortunately, UK is not on the list.

http://www.opera.com/computer/beta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

The Nvidia Shield TV for £100 is a great deal considering the sterling rate at the moment too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

The Nvidia Shield TV for £100 is a great deal considering the sterling rate at the moment too

I picked one of these up in a previous sale. Its a nice bit of kit especially at that price.

Its now capable of running a plex server and transcoding videos as of recent times. A bit of an energy saver for me as I can decommision the old PC that served that purpose.

Moyglish wrote: »

Awful specs, depends on what you want it for though. I wouldn't expect it to handle a lot of stuff too well with its processor and limited ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Awful specs, depends on what you want it for though. I wouldn't expect it to handle a lot of stuff too well with its processor and limited ram.

I'm not sure 4GB counts as limited RAM? It should be more than enough to deal with day to day browsing, office productivity etc. Consider that Win 10 is running fine on tablets with 2GB RAM, 4GB should be grand.

As for the processor, its a relatively recent version of Intel's low power consumption range with a beefed up graphics processor which will help with the browsing side of things. Overall a great first school PC or something to have always on in a kitchen or common area.

What would worry me more than the CPU or the RAM is that 1TB hard drive. A mechanical hard drive is going to be the key bottleneck in a system like this and an upgrade to an SSD would be first on my wish list if I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Took a chance on the Lenovo last night, worked out at around €260, didn't even need a new PC but at that price and well impulse.. I said I'd pull the trigger on it.

Will only be used for basic browsing, watch an odd bit of Netflix, streaming Spotify etc.. so think it should be grand for this!

I'm half thinking of picking up some RAM to install at a later date 8/16GB? Never upgraded memory before, not even sure it can be done on this desktop..

If anyone spots any deals on memory that would suit this machine, I'm all ears! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭styron

Moyglish wrote: »
    Took a chance on the Lenovo last night, worked out at around €260, didn't even need a new PC but at that price and well impulse.. I said I'd pull the trigger on it.

Will only be used for basic browsing, watch an odd bit of Netflix, streaming Spotify etc.. so think it should be grand for this!

I'm half thinking of picking up some RAM to install at a later date 8/16GB? Never upgraded memory before, not even sure it can be done on this desktop..

If anyone spots any deals on memory that would suit this machine, I'm all ears! :D

Assuming it's the C20-00 - there's one slot and a max 8GB

Well capable for what you want, 19.5" full HD screen and good Dolby - a steal.

The sleek minimalism comes at a price, slightly more difficult access for upgrade than standard PC's ... a good thin plastic prying tool for the back cover. Instruction manual/tear down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭techdiver

Does anyone here use Amazon Prime Instant Video with a smart TV.

I can login fine on my pc and watch video, but when I try to sign in on both my LG and Samsung Amazon Apps I get an "Unknown Error".

Has anyone encountered this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement