Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Bargain Alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Amazon lightning deals....be careful!
    Check camelcamelcamel for previous prices.

ANYONE got any other advice?

Probably unnecessary for most bargain hunters, but for inexperienced newbies of which I am one, they are often not bargains...see below!

I bought this camera last week on lightning deals at about £37, :) now retailing at £44
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VLYY04G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and here is what seems to be/actually is an identical camera on a current lightning deal at £51...normally retailing at £61 it says... :eek:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UUS52YG/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_8647_b51fd862?smid=A2RG4Z25LX4MGL&pf_rd_p=981978647&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=DCDBPNER2EQ66XDPFT6C

The thing is you might not be able to find the 2 cameras to compare them if you didnt know of them. Perhaps you could, but i suppose a lightning deal means you might have to act quickly..
    So last week did I get a bargain? After brexit, that camera is not far off the same euro price now..!
    2nd one includes a 32GB card...

The one you bought had a option of a card for... Total price:£51.04

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Esel wrote: »
    2nd one includes a 32GB card...

The one you bought had a option of a card for... Total price:£51.04

Good point! I hadnt noticed the included sd card. But still a worse bargain this week.
    For the lightning deal last week it still came in at less than £44 when i bought the recommended samsung 32gb sd.

Anyway the lesson I will take is: ALWAYS try and read the small print... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Anyway the lesson I will take is: ALWAYS try and read the small print... ;)

we see you are trying to read the small print
    others have searched for magnifying glasses, microscopes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Has anyone done their wedding list offer?
    'Guest(s)' buy £250+ of goods from your list and you receive a £50 gift card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

mansize wrote: »
    Everything's a bargain!!!!
    its a bargain only in the eyes of the buyer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Masala

Looking at replacing a dripping Kitchen tap.... How does the lever handle Hot & Cold?? eg...how do you turn on the Hot water..then the Cold water??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Masala wrote: »
    Looking at replacing a dripping Kitchen tap.... How does the lever handle Hot & Cold?? eg...how do you turn on the Hot water..then the Cold water??

You pull the handle towards you for hot and push it away for cold. Or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I don't think UK and Irish plumbing fittings are interchangeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

alias no.9 wrote: »

They aren't but you can get adaptors,more hassle than it is worth though.These have the flexi hoses that are standard though and will work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

alias no.9 wrote: »
    That's mad, Ted!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Esel wrote: »
    That's mad, Ted!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055358896
    I had a long reply posted, which I lost, damn it! Anyway, here goes again! Some of the advice offered here already is confusing, I believe; the Irish/ metric debate can be simply summed thus:

1. Irish 1/2" pipe is 1/2" internal diameter, 14.7mm external. Metric is 15mm external diameter.

2. Irish and metric pipe and fittings, can usually be used interchangeably without too much problem once you remember the golden rule:

"Use metric olives with metric pipe, use imperial olives with imperial pipe".

If using a 1/2" Irish pipe with a 15mm metric fitting, remove the metric olives and replace with imperial olives.

The same approach applies when dealing with metric 22mm and Irish 3/4" pipe, use like with like.

Don't be tempted to use PTFE tape to "make" a metric olive "fit" an imperial pipe. If you remember the above you shouldn't have any problems using metric or imperial pipe and fittings. Hope this helps.
    dolanbaker wrote: »
    Just to add to the above,

A 1/2" pipe will fit into a 15mm fitting, but a 15mm pipe won't fit into a 1/2 fitting.

Same for 3/4 & 22mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭matchthis

A child's got more bones than a grown ups got! Dem bones, dem bones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

matchthis wrote: »
    A child's got more bones than a grown ups got! Dem bones, dem bones

Drunk post?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Does anyone know why an item, in my case a TV, is listed at £319 but then at checkout it's suddenly £327? Also, £327 in euro is €383 (www.xe.com) but Amazon are charging me €398.

At £319 I should be paying €373, not €398!

I'm buying from Amazon directly with free postage.
    If anyone can advise I'd appreciate it, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Nono Toure wrote: »
    Does anyone know why an item, in my case a TV, is listed at £319 but then at checkout it's suddenly £327? Also, £327 in euro is €383 (www.xe.com) but Amazon are charging me €398.

It's VAT. The tv is priced for the uk rate but once you change the address to Ireland the price changes to allow for the Irish rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

uk Vat is 20% and here is 23%.Amazon charge the extra 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Are you getting it delivered to Ireland? They'll charge you the Irish VAT rate then.
    It might be worth getting delivered to Parcel Motel (in the North) if the €3.95 you're paying to them is less than the extra Amazon want to charge for delivering to Ireland.

Edit: A TV probably wouldn't fit in a Parcel Motel locker so they'd deliver it to their depot in Finglas and you'd have to pick it up from there. I think the fee for that is about €7.95

Also Amazons currency exchange is always bad. Pay in GBP and let your credit card handle the currency rate. They normally have a better rate.
    Better still, get a Revolut card. They charge very close to the XE rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Cheers for the replies lads.
    Fair enough with the VAT, but the exchange rate is crap.

So it's best to buy in GBP? I feckin' always buy in euros.... Well, you live & learn I suppose.

So it's best to buy in GBP? I feckin' always buy in euros.... Well, you live & learn I suppose.

Simple test for you. The next time you're buying take a note of the pay in Euro price. Then pay in GBP.
    When it hits your credit card compare the Amazon price they were going to charge you and the price you actually paid. You'll always* save a few quid.

*I've no statistical basis to back this up. Just from my observation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pay in GBP - deliver to Postpal or similar- and have it reshipped here.
    I've a laptop on its way to me- got another last week too.

Also- use a UK dropbox for stuff from third countries (like the US)- savings can be startling........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Murt10

Always pay in the local currency of the country you are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Invincible

Irish VAT is higher than UK VAT, that explains you're £8.
    You're better off not using Amazon's exchange rate as its usually not in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 katie2121

What is a UK Dropbox, how doe sit work and how can you save money by using it ? tHANKS IN ADVANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

katie2121 wrote: »
    What is a UK Dropbox, how doe sit work and how can you save money by using it ? tHANKS IN ADVANCE

Check out parcel motel and parcel wizard online. You'll find all the info you need there

katie2121 wrote: »

Some shippers give free shipping to the UK or several pounds to Ireland. Some don't deliver to Ireland at all.
    Then if you get an item delivered to the UK you pay UK VAT.

Your Parcel Motel address is in the UK and they'll drop the item down to a depot near you for €3.95

So a simplistic example would be.

If you get something for €100 (after exchange rate conversion) exc VAT delivered to Ireland you can pay €123 inc Irish VAT + €7 shipping.

So €130 in total.

Or get it delivered to the UK and pay €120 in UK VAT & free UK shipping & €3.95 Parcel Motel fee.

Or €123.95 in total.

This is only a simple example but should give you the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Also- use a UK dropbox for stuff from third countries (like the US)- savings can be startling........

You are suggesting that some people use the likes of PM or AP for shipments from outside the UK? What happens in terms of import duties etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

degsie wrote: »
    You are suggesting that some people use the likes of PM or AP for shipments from outside the UK? What happens in terms of import duties etc?

You pay VAT and duty at point of first entry to the EU.
    Have a look at eBay.com and change the destination country from Ireland to the UK- and see how it differs.
    Depending on what you buy- you could save a packet- I refurbish laptops for a teacher training college in Kenya- and get parts from the States regularly- routing through the UK typically saves me about 10%.
    Only downside- you loose tracking once you hit your Address Pal address- but I've yet to have an issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement