Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks man; would you think at 31 with no previous martial arts experience that I am leaving it too late to start?

In my 30's, i only started 5 months ago and it's one of the best things I've done, only wish i started way sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Thanks lads think I'll take the plunge!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks man; would you think at 31 with no previous martial arts experience that I am leaving it too late to start?
    You'll there's nothing stopping you from becoming a blackbelt by the age of 40.
    People have taken it up in their 40s and 50s. 31 isn't old in the grand scheme of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BJJ is fairly easy on the body, and sure at 31 you're a young fella ~ you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

emmetkenny wrote:
    Liam Beechnnior club in Cork is very good. Think it's Pedro Bessa affiliated.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/4/10/11401002/photos-bjj-blue-belt-anthony-bourdain-wins-gold-at-new-york-open

If a 60 year old former heroin using alcoholic can take it up and be successful, I think you'll be ok :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'm 22 and just started last year. Now I know what you're thinking. 22 is a bit younger than 31 and you're thinking "jaysus what has he to worry about?"

But all the 30+ and 40+ year old white belts you'll be rolling with will all be thinking about you "jaysus what has he to worry about?"

Our class ranges from about people doing their leaving cert to people who have a wife and kids and have the mortgage paid off and work 9-5 and do a bit of BJJ in the evening. So you fit perfectly in the middle.

Give it a lash, you'll love it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

BJJ is fairly easy on the body, and sure at 31 you're a young fella ~ you'll be grand.

Maybe in comparison to Judo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bambi wrote: »
    Maybe in comparison to Judo ;)

Well I'm out injured with a grade II pec tear, and my son is out with a finger which is fractured in two places from competition two weeks back ~ I've never been injured in BJJ or MMA :o

But I genuinely feel Judo is exceptionally tough, and you're very prone to injury ~ in fact most competitive Judoka I know would be carrying injuries.

If the lad asking the question re. Judo at 37 I'd start be advising him to start but I'd warn him of the pitfalls (injuries).

The guy asking about age ~ I'd an MMA/BJJ group going in work for a few years, I had to fold it up when the defense forces had a reorganisation and I lost most of my lads.

But I advised them which clubs to go to according to their localities.

One of the lads (Stevie Carr) didn't start training until his mid/late 47's and has won lots of regional and national comps and medalled at last years Europeans (all BJJ).

Seriously 37 is a youngster.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Polaris changing their rules after their last event full of draws.

PRESS RELEASE:
    NEW JUDGING SYSTEM ANNOUNCED

Polaris Professional Jiu Jitsu Invitational is pleased to announce a new judging system, to be put in place starting from the next Polaris event, scheduled for November 2016.

The professional jiu jitsu movement began as a response to what was seen as a deficiency in the traditional points system of jiu jitsu and grappling, and as a way to help jiu jitsu to become an exciting spectator sport and showcase for the skill and passion that the world's best grapplers possess. However, like any good martial art, Polaris must evolve over time.

Under the previous ruleset, all matches at Polaris 3 (April 2, 2016) were declared draws. It was felt that this was an unsatisfactory ending to what had been a very exciting and dynamic night of fights, and the eight draws did not adequately reflect the skill and heart displayed at the event.

As a result, a ruleset and judging system has been developed that will allow the most aggressive, exciting, dynamic and skilled fighter to be declared the winner. Passivity and stalling will be penalised.

The full rules are available here (http://www.polaris-pro.org/the-rules/).

Briefly, the format is as follows

Winner is determined by submission or judges' decision
    Three judges score the bout
    There are a limited number of points (three per catagory, with three categories in total) that must be distributed between the fighters.
    Example: Aggression: Fighter A receives 1 point, Fighter B receives 2 points. The total amount must not exceed 3, and the judge must allocate more to one fighter than to another. In this case Fighter B displayed more aggression and heart during the bout than fighter A, so received the larger share of points.
    Negative points can be given (one every five minutes)
    For more information on the rule system or the event, please contact Polaris at info@polaris-pro.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Question on behalf of a friend.
    Where can one buy A5 gi pants?
    Mate is a 6'4 and rugby player. A3 GI top fits him but even A4 pants are very tight on him because he has huge legs.

Any idea where he can pick up a few pairs of A5 pants in Ireland or online with delivery to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Question on behalf of a friend.
    Where can one buy A5 gi pants?
    Mate is a 6'4 and rugby player. A3 GI top fits him but even A4 pants are very tight on him because he has huge legs.

Any idea where he can pick up a few pairs of A5 pants in Ireland or online with delivery to Ireland?

Not sure if the likes of Wolfhound sell pants on their own but Tatami do just scroll to the bottom of the page on the link.

https://www.tatamifightwear.com/mens/bjj-gi.html

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Not sure if the likes of Wolfhound sell pants on their own but Tatami do just scroll to the bottom of the page on the link.

https://www.tatamifightwear.com/mens/bjj-gi.html

I've ordered him two pairs from there delivered to parcel motel. Thanks Emmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Drumsnotdead

Does anyone know if there are any competitons scheduled for summer?

There seemed to be a lot in March/April and I hear Naga are coming but can't see anything scheduled over the summer months. Just wondering as it is easier focus and train harder when you know you have a comp coming up.

Does anyone know if there are any competitons scheduled for summer?

There seemed to be a lot in March/April and I hear Naga are coming but can't see anything scheduled over the summer months. Just wondering as it is easier focus and train harder when you know you have a comp coming up.

Try this link. It's to the Irish BBJ/Grappling Page on Facebook.

There is a pinned post at the top of the page which Liam Beechnnior (I think) keeps updated with the upcoming competitions.

Other clubs also post their seminars in there.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1419240074963839?view=permalink&id=1827241980830311

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

i have been thinking about competing at some stage but i have a dilemma with the weight class.. im quiet lean at my current weight of 93 kg.. the weight class medium heavy is 83.3 kg and heavy is 94.3 kg.. i have never cut weight and i think droping down to the 88.3 kg is probably hard.. if i wanted to compete at heavy could i just weigh in at 93 and be good to go or must i bring my weight up to 94.3

i have been thinking about competing at some stage but i have a dilemma with the weight class.. im quiet lean at my current weight of 93 kg.. the weight class medium heavy is 83.3 kg and heavy is 94.3 kg.. i have never cut weight and i think droping down to the 88.3 kg is probably hard.. if i wanted to compete at heavy could i just weigh in at 93 and be good to go or must i bring my weight up to 94.3

I'm 57kg and compete at 64kg because it's very rare to get a match at 57kg.

Bear in mind that if you go for heavy you need to weigh in below 94.5kg in your Gi (if your competing in Gi).

The weight cut wouldn't be to bad to 88 kg but your better off going at your natural weight for the first few times. As you train more you'll loose some of the weight so don't be fighting to get it really low now.

if i wanted to compete at heavy could i just weigh in at 93 and be good to go or must i bring my weight up to 94.3

Heavy is 88.4 to 94.3kg, any where within that range is fine. Ideally, the closer to the upper limit the better. 1.3kg below is completely normal.
    As Emmet said, this is your weight with your gi and belt on. Which will prob 3kg.

I'm about 75kg naturally. Which means giving up 4kg to the middleweight class limit. If I watch my food and water the day of com I can make 76kg in my light gi. But still have to compete in the heavier class in no-gi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thinking of getting back into the sport after a layoff of a few years...

When I was training I think Jorge Santos had just set up and the rest of the gyms were coached by Irish guys. Just from googling around now it seems like the scene has kind of diversified and there are more lineages, different affiliations... Just more choice in general.

Adriano Dos Santos, Tony Bonora, Leo Darrigo and Marcos Romario are new to me. I was wondering if anyone who has trained at the likes of SBGI or another long running Irish gym has also trained with these guys and could give an opinion on whether there's a difference in the coaching, the vibe in the gym, the general approach taken etc.

I'm not asking which is 'better', just curious in general. My assumption wouldn't be that just because they are Brazilian black belts is that they are necessarily better coaches or more legit than senior Irish coaches.

(And yes, I know the only way to find out is to drop in and find out in person :) )

Anybody train at East Coast JJ?
    Seen this clip from worlds on reddit. From the comments I think he is from Ireland out if ECJJ.
    Sick triangle/guard pull. Wonder how many times he drilled this move

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGLlvksDnKh/

Mellor wrote: »
    Anybody train at East Coast JJ?
    Seen this clip from worlds on reddit. From the comments I think he is from Ireland out if ECJJ.
    Sick triangle/guard pull. Wonder how many times he drilled this move

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGLlvksDnKh/

That's Richard Buckivasian (I think the spelling is right) really good blue belt with four tags under Darragh. He won four fights yesterday but got beaten in the quaters.

Riagnach won silver at Female White Feather and Sam McNally, Dean Barry and Marcus Phelan all won their first two fights but lost their thirds at Purple.

Darragh and a few of his other guys are on the mats today.

I haven't heard yet how either of the Sheridan's (run Satori) got on yet.

• Advertisement

Seen this today and thought it was cool, Brock has been training in the Gi, fair play to him.
    Then I realized that if we were at the same comp, I could face him in absolute :eek:

brock.jpg?fit=699%2C371&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Seen this today and thought it was cool, Brock has been training in the Gi, fair play to him.
    Then I realized that if we were at the same comp, I could face him in absolute :eek:

I wonder what size that GI is?????

A man of his size and speed and wrestling ability with some BJJ is just Scary scary scary

So could I :D

I'd really have to take the speedy approach and just run for the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

id be in his division :), looks like the gi is just out of the packet, wonder if he just put it on to get the belt/picture....

Dave 101 wrote: »
    id be in his division :), looks like the gi is just out of the packet, wonder if he just put it on to get the belt/picture....
    According to somebody on Reddit who's trained with people from that gym. He's been training there a while.

Oss.

Hespect to the man dem.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

feelpablo wrote: »

To far for me to go unfortunately.

Something I've noticed in the 3 years since I started is the price of competitions is rising even though the numbers attending are going through the roof. Unfortunately I can't afford to go to as many as I would like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

To far for me to go unfortunately.

Something I've noticed in the 3 years since I started is the price of competitions is rising even though the numbers attending are going through the roof. Unfortunately I can't afford to go to as many as I would like.

Some defo are without a doubt.....this one though was only 25 early reg which i dont think you could give out about.... delighted as its only 45 mins away from me.
    think they have 160 competitors for it

Advertisement