Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Baron of Ballymun

emmetkenny wrote: »
    A lot of clubs don't allow people to roll for the first few weeks.

To easy for a new person to not tap or hurt someone because they don't know what they are doing.

They didnt say but assume this is the reason why... a bit frustrating for me cos I'm not a "day 1 beginner" but it is what it is just got to "roll" with it (see what i did there)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They didnt say but assume this is the reason why... a bit frustrating for me cos I'm not a "day 1 beginner" but it is what it is just got to "roll" with it (see what i did there)

I'd say your stuck in a odd position at the minute to be fair, having been at a normal class in a previous club and now back at a beginner class so you'll be a little further on that a lot of people in your class.

I'd say your stuck in a odd position at the minute to be fair, having been at a normal class in a previous club and now back at a beginner class so you'll be a little further on that a lot of people in your class.

Yeah kinda I wanted to join the beginners class just to get the basics down thats what I'm getting so i cant really complain.. From reading other comments it seems that this is becoming the norm which seems odd but i can understand the reason for it

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's already happened, sadly

Really?? I've heard of people handing out belts but people being afraid to roll seems very strange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I can't see a day when a club will allow a member not to roll in class, but it infuriates me that people can grade and go up through the ranks without competing.

Technical grades are all well and good but I believe people should be tested in competition too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Depends on whos in attendance, but for our beginners class - while we do not do full rolling, we can isolate the position and spar from there eg mount/closed guard/side control.

Starting from these points of 'control' usually eliminates a lot of the potential risks that two beginners sparring usually encounter.

Its case by case for me though of course, if youve played contact sports or competed in other martial arts before - by all means have a roll.

Also, believe me - therell be PLENTY of time for rolling later! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I dont believe Competition is Necessary to rank up at all, some of the toughest grapplers i know dont compete.

Whats important is sparring.

I can't see a day when a club will allow a member not to roll in class, but it infuriates me that people can grade and go up through the ranks without competing.

Technical grades are all well and good but I believe people should be tested in competition too.

I've competed three times at white belt level.

Since I got my Blue I haven't competed at all yet (nearly 18 months) and that's down to three things, injuries, work and cost.

By the time I pay my bills at the end of the month I've very little left over and to me I'd prefer to spend €50 on a 3 hour seminar rather than €50 to roll twice in competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Really?? I've heard of people handing out belts but people being afraid to roll seems very strange

I heard a black belt say they were a technical black belt and didn't do competitions or a lot of rolling. I also saw said black belt roll and it was terrible.

Personally, I don't do competitions as I have 2 rebuilt knees. I did 2 comps and being honest, I am not risking another knee surgery for a piece of metal. I roll hard with club mates but I am comfortable with them because they know my history.

In regards to the white belts not rolling, I agree that 2 newbies rolling together is a recipe for disaster and I would assume that they are not rolling because its a beginners class so there might not be any more experienced members present.

I have had a few bad experiences rolling with newbies, especially the ones who think they are training for the UFC or are gym nuts who think that they can power out of anything.

Thankfully they usually don't stick around but there is nothing worse than rolling light trying to allow them to understand position and they are grabbing fingers and toes, elbowing you in the face and worse of all knees to the nuts... or the ones who think they are kings because they managed to sweep you when you are going about 30% and start bragging about it >>> don't be this person, next time the more experience grappler won't be taking it easy!

RoboRat wrote: »
    I have had a few bad experiences rolling with newbies, especially the ones who think they are training for the UFC or are gym nuts who think that they can power out of anything.

Thankfully they usually don't stick around but there is nothing worse than rolling light trying to allow them to understand position and they are grabbing fingers and toes, elbowing you in the face and worse of all knees to the nuts... or the ones who think they are kings because they managed to sweep you when you are going about 30% and start bragging about it >>> don't be this person, next time the more experience grappler won't be taking it easy!

Newbies trying to power out of everything and heavier guys trying to squash you or use all their weight to out muscle you are a nuisance.

I had to roll with a guy 30kg heavier than me after about his 3/4th week and he was just trying to kill me.

I moved in low leaving a guillotine there for him to put on because we had drilled it the night before and I wanted him to see it coming in a roll to see could he manage it. He nearly pulled my head off twisting and yanking at my neck.

I didn't leave anything there for him after that.

RoboRat wrote: »
    I heard a black belt say they were a technical black belt and didn't do competitions or a lot of rolling. I also saw said black belt roll and it was terrible.

Personally, I don't do competitions as I have 2 rebuilt knees. I did 2 comps and being honest, I am not risking another knee surgery for a piece of metal. I roll hard with club mates but I am comfortable with them because they know my history.

In regards to the white belts not rolling, I agree that 2 newbies rolling together is a recipe for disaster and I would assume that they are not rolling because its a beginners class so there might not be any more experienced members present.

hahaha i think that is the best advice i've learned on here "dont piss off the experienced grappler".. just on the knee to the balls thing silly question but should i invest in a cup some lads i know dont wear them cos they are uncomfortable and it can be painfully for their opponent should they take their back, like it can dig into people’s back almost an unfair advantage

hahaha i think that is the best advice i've learned on here "dont piss off the experienced grappler".. just on the knee to the balls thing silly question but should i invest in a cup some lads i know dont wear them cos they are uncomfortable and it can be painfully for their opponent should they take their back, like it can dig into people’s back almost an unfair advantage

You can't wear a cup in competition so you might as well get used to rolling without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Evening folks, looking for advice. Did some martial arts when I was a kid and absolutely loved it but had to stop because the dojo closed. Intended to start again in college and went to a karate class but the black belt taking the class was not a nice guy and seemed to really want to humiliate the newcomer and it put me off and I gave up.

I think I've finally got over that now and I'm ready to give it another shot! :) BJJ seems to be very popular so I'd like to give it a go, mainly for fitness and just the general physical and mental health benefits and a bit of a social aspect would be an added bonus.

I live in the Ranelagh/Rathmines area and my only mode of transport is a bike so southside or city centre gyms would be preferrable, can anyone recommend anywhere welcoming to beginners? Also seems to be hard to get any info on how much classes generally cost, is it paid per class or membership or does it very?

If anyone with experience or better yet a recent beginner with a good recommendation could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Evening folks, looking for advice. Did some martial arts when I was a kid and absolutely loved it but had to stop because the dojo closed. Intended to start again in college and went to a karate class but the black belt taking the class was not a nice guy and seemed to really want to humiliate the newcomer and it put me off and I gave up.

I think I've finally got over that now and I'm ready to give it another shot! :) BJJ seems to be very popular so I'd like to give it a go, mainly for fitness and just the general physical and mental health benefits and a bit of a social aspect would be an added bonus.

I live in the Ranelagh/Rathmines area and my only mode of transport is a bike so southside or city centre gyms would be preferrable, can anyone recommend anywhere welcoming to beginners? Also seems to be hard to get any info on how much classes generally cost, is it paid per class or membership or does it very?

If anyone with experience or better yet a recent beginner with a good recommendation could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Is Mounkstown far from Rathmines? ECJJ is out on the Mounttown Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Is Mounkstown far from Rathmines? ECJJ is out on the Mounttown Industrial Estate.

Thanks for the reply, it's probably about a 45 minute cycle which is a bit further than I'd like to be cycling a couple of times a week to be honest.

Thanks for the reply, it's probably about a 45 minute cycle which is a bit further than I'd like to be cycling a couple of times a week to be honest.

Not sure what else is around South Side but I'm sure someone else might be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If you're in the middle of Rathmines you're only about 20 minutes cycle from SBG HQ on the Naas Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Newbies trying to power out of everything and heavier guys trying to squash you or use all their weight to out muscle you are a nuisance.

I had to roll with a guy 30kg heavier than me after about his 3/4th week and he was just trying to kill me.

I moved in low leaving a guillotine there for him to put on because we had drilled it the night before and I wanted him to see it coming in a roll to see could he manage it. He nearly pulled my head off twisting and yanking at my neck.

I didn't leave anything there for him after that.

Oh my god this.
    Im a newbie myself but im smart enough to know my limitations and when i roll i roll fairly easy going. I dont spaz and try to think about what im doing. I had to roll with a noob last week who easily had 3 or 4 stone in weight advantage and he just ****ing flung me to the floor and pounced on me. Used all his weight to just lie on top of me and crush me. And this was after he asked ME to go roll light cause he was "injured" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Chris Bowe is in Dundrum, legit black belt and all round nice guy. Heard good things about wild geese mma on Pearse street and Jorge Santos is on Parnell street plus a new one I think in Smithfield too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    Thats a go to of my own from top turtle, never seen it done standing before.

I don't go for enough guillotines.
    Probably hit 5 ever, in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

I recently gave BJJ a try in Jorge Santos gym on Parnell street just beside the cinema.

I had no martial arts experience and no clue what I was doing starting off but everyone was very welcoming and friendly. First class was free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

JimLahey wrote: »
    I recently gave BJJ a try in Jorge Santos gym on Parnell street just beside the cinema.

I had no martial arts experience and no clue what I was doing starting off but everyone was very welcoming and friendly. First class was free too!

Is it not round the corner from the cinema on Capel St or did they move? I went there a few times too really enjoyed it and definitely very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Marty_Orr

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good jiu jitsu club in north Dublin/City Center.. I've been training the past few weeks with a club in the finglas area but because i work in the city center i can never make the beginners class which starts at 6 so i end up doing the the advanced class. I know you guys are gonna say you will only get better by training with better people but it's not very encouraging when you spend the whole roll just trying to survive and if I do get in a good position i dont have the basics to make any use of it.. I've heard mixed reviews about Jorge Santos place so any advice would be a huge help

I'm at Andre Ramos on Hardwicke street near Parnell Square and I can't recommend it enough. Really lovely people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

jimmii wrote: »
    Is it not round the corner from the cinema on Capel St or did they move? I went there a few times too really enjoyed it and definitely very friendly.

Moved to Parnell Street. Just across the road from the Parnell St entrance to the Ilac centre.

Im feeling good today. I managed to hit a bunch of sweeps that actually worked last night, (i looked them up on youtube the night before lol..some ankle picks when starting on the knees, and hit another guy with the "idiot trip"), landed my first ever submissions too. Americana and an armbar. Normally im the one getting rekt every class, and im sure next class ill be getting smashed again but its good to know not everything i do is totally useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Better spot for it there good bit more footfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Moved to Parnell Street. Just across the road from the Parnell St entrance to the Ilac centre.

Is that not Fantomas?

There has to be at 4-5 bjj venues around parnell square now so

Advertisement