Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone know of a gym where they do daytime jiu jitsu classes in Dublin city Centre or Ashbourne? Looking to start training but work schedule seems to get In the way!

SBG anyway, and maybe try Jorge Santos.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

Does anyone know of a gym where they do daytime jiu jitsu classes in Dublin city Centre or Ashbourne? Looking to start training but work schedule seems to get In the way!

Team Ryano in Finglas has morning classes Monday to Saturday. Royal Grappling Academy in Ballycoolin has some daytime classes also as does De La Riva BJJ in Inchicore. Have the same problem myself and have been looking into it. Jorge Santos, as has been mentioned on Capel Street is another option. I presume SBG do daytime classes but there doesnt appear to be a timetable on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Contact wild geese martial arts and see if they do daytime classes, I know they used to do some, not sure if they do them anymore and they are city centre.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Contact wild geese martial arts and see if they do daytime classes, I know they used to do some, not sure if they do them anymore and they are city centre.

They in on Pearse Street? Beside Chartered Accountants? If so I've walked by there a few times early in the day and it always seems to have people inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

gracie barra smithfield have classes mon/weds/fri 11:00 to 12:15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,158 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

UAEJJF Worlds this week

Some decent prizes on offer.
    $2k/$1k/$500 for blue belt divisions
    $4k/$2k/$1k for purple belt divisions
    Right up to $30k/$10k/$5k for black belt open weight.

I know its dirty money and all, but still have to be impressed at the thoughts of a bluebelt picking up $5k for double gold, $9k for a purple.

There's three guys from Ireland gone over for it.

MALE ADULT BLACK +94kg Christopher Bowe Gracie Barra Birmingham Ireland
    MALE ADULT PURPLE 85kg John Sheridan Satori Bjj Ireland
    MALE MASTER 1 PURPLE 77kg Evan John O'reilly Team Nogueira Dubai Ireland

One of my teammates if competing in the Male 94kg Purple. And a couple of guys I know from other guys are there.

Mellor wrote: »
    UAEJJF Worlds this week

Some decent prizes on offer.
    $2k/$1k/$500 for blue belt divisions
    $4k/$2k/$1k for purple belt divisions
    Right up to $30k/$10k/$5k for black belt open weight.

I know its dirty money and all, but still have to be impressed at the thoughts of a bluebelt picking up $5k for double gold, $9k for a purple.

There's three guys from Ireland gone over for it.

MALE ADULT BLACK +94kg Christopher Bowe Gracie Barra Birmingham Ireland
    MALE ADULT PURPLE 85kg John Sheridan Satori Bjj Ireland
    MALE MASTER 1 PURPLE 77kg Evan John O'reilly Team Nogueira Dubai Ireland

One of my teammates if competing in the Male 94kg Purple. And a couple of guys I know from other guys are there.

I've never heard of Team Nogueria Dubai Ireland, where are they based ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I've never heard of Team Nogueria Dubai Ireland, where are they based ?

I think it means he's a living/working in Dubai at the moment. And training with a Team Nogueria affiliate there. But rightfully entered under "Ireland" as per his passport.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think it means he's a living/working in Dubai at the moment. And training with a Team Nogueria affiliate there. But rightfully entered under "Ireland" as per his passport.

That actually makes a lot more sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Mellor wrote:

What do you mean by its dirty money?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by its dirty money?

It's founded and funded by the crown prince and the UAE government. UAE is a ridiculously wealthy country obvious. But their human rights record isn't the best. Some people have an issue with that.

Personally I don't have issue. In isolation, they do an incredible amount for jiu jitsu. The prizes here out IBJJF to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

After being tapped out hundreds of times, me thinking I'm making no progress, getting collar choked, RNCed, Kimurad, armbared I've finally got the first stripe. To say I'm delighted is an under-statement.

To a lot of people it means little to have a little bit of tape on a belt but to BJJ practitioners it's material reward for hours of hard work and I'm finally in the club :D

Raging I have to give it up for a few weeks now with college

BOHtox wrote: »
    After being tapped out hundreds of times, me thinking I'm making no progress, getting collar choked, RNCed, Kimurad, armbared I've finally got the first stripe. To say I'm delighted is an under-statement.

To a lot of people it means little to have a little bit of tape on a belt but to BJJ practitioners it's material reward for hours of hard work and I'm finally in the club :D

Well done man. Keep at it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BOHtox wrote: »

Oss
    Respect

Congrats.
    The only way is up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Don't give it up. Even if you can only make one hour a week, keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Good stuff BOHtox..

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Did anybody here compete in BJJ as a white belt? Granted i've only been doing BJJ for a few months but would love to attempt competing by around October, will have 10 months off BJJ under my (white) belt by then!

I know at the end of the day my trainers will tell me when i'm ready but would still like to get a general idea of when people start to compete.

TheSegal wrote: »
    Did anybody here compete in BJJ as a white belt? Granted i've only been doing BJJ for a few months but would love to attempt competing by around October, will have 10 months off BJJ under my (white) belt by then!

I know at the end of the day my trainers will tell me when i'm ready but would still like to get a general idea of when people start to compete.

Don't wait jump straight in.

John Sheridan in Satori is running a grassroots competition for White Belts so they can get some experience shortly.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1419240074963839?view=permalink&id=1827241980830311

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I guess it varies from gym to gym. Ive been training since March. Already a girl who signed up same day as me took part in a competition recently. Im guessing she had a hell of alot more free time than i do to train tho, because at this level i can only imagine that any live rolling i took part in would be the most un-technical, un-coordinated, akward mess of just flopping around on the floor like a fish gasping for oxygen while being strangled by its own pyjamas.

Personally im not looking to compete tho. Im older than the majority of the people in class and i train just for the enjoyment of it so far. Also my wife would ****ing kill me harder than any opponent if i did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I competed in a gi and then a no-gi comp as white belt. It was a great experience both times and tons of fun. I'm not mad into the competition side of things. Some of my friends competed much more and some didn't bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Don't wait jump straight in.

John Sheridan in Satori is running a grassroots competition for White Belts so they can get some experience shortly.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1419240074963839?view=permalink&id=1827241980830311

Thanks a million for sending that on, even if I make an unholy shi*e of it I should still be able to have good craic!

Thanks a million for sending that on, even if I make an unholy shi*e of it I should still be able to have good craic!

You will only be competing against others with similar experience so don't worry about anything.

Focus on your positions and balance to get an idea of how competition compares to training and don't worry about submitting anyone.

And most importantly make sure you enjoy yourself :)

I competed at an in-house comp after about a month, just two matches matched by the coach.
    First real comp was 4 months in. Have competed regularly since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

I competed for the 1st time last week. Been training twice a week since September, so just 9 months with a 4-5 week break from rolling due to an injury. I would suggest you go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Hi All; look for beginner BJJ classes around Cork City area. Anyone have recommendations?

Hi All; look for beginner BJJ classes around Cork City area. Anyone have recommendations?

Liam Beechnnior club in Cork is very good. Think it's Pedro Bessa affiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

emmetkenny wrote:
    Liam Beechnnior club in Cork is very good. Think it's Pedro Bessa affiliated.

Thanks man; would you think at 31 with no previous martial arts experience that I am leaving it too late to start?

• Advertisement

Thanks man; would you think at 31 with no previous martial arts experience that I am leaving it too late to start?

It's a big club. You'd be surprised with the different people there.

I'm a member in a small club and we've every age and experience there. Go in and give it five or six classes and take it from there.

Advertisement