Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

feelpablo wrote: »
    Some defo are without a doubt.....this one though was only 25 early reg which i dont think you could give out about.... delighted as its only 45 mins away from me.
    think they have 160 competitors for it

BJJ league is reasonable alright but are they all been held in Letterkenny this year? They used to have one in Cork and one or two in Dublin along with the Letterkenny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

emmetkenny wrote: »
    BJJ league is reasonable alright but are they all been held in Letterkenny this year? They used to have one in Cork and one or two in Dublin along with the Letterkenny one.

Aye first one was on in cork in feb as far as i can remember

feelpablo wrote: »
    Aye first one was on in cork in feb as far as i can remember

Is Braulio Estimate up your way this summer? I thought I saw something about it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Is Braulio Estimate up your way this summer? I thought I saw something about it the other day.

yeah think hes in belfast at some stage allright...most look into that actually

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Baron of Ballymun

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good jiu jitsu club in north Dublin/City Center.. I've been training the past few weeks with a club in the finglas area but because i work in the city center i can never make the beginners class which starts at 6 so i end up doing the the advanced class. I know you guys are gonna say you will only get better by training with better people but it's not very encouraging when you spend the whole roll just trying to survive and if I do get in a good position i dont have the basics to make any use of it.. I've heard mixed reviews about Jorge Santos place so any advice would be a huge help

• Advertisement

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a good jiu jitsu club in north Dublin/City Center.. I've been training the past few weeks with a club in the finglas area but because i work in the city center i can never make the beginners class which starts at 6 so i end up doing the the advanced class. I know you guys are gonna say you will only get better by training with better people but it's not very encouraging when you spend the whole roll just trying to survive and if I do get in a good position i dont have the basics to make any use of it.. I've heard mixed reviews about Jorge Santos place so any advice would be a huge help

I was going to recommend Jorge Santos in Parnell Street.

There's also Fantom on Moore Street which I've trained in once but been at open mats where a few of their guys were as well.

Think there is a gym just off Pearse Street beside Chartered Accountants Ireland either, Wild Geese I think.

North side you have Satori and Royal Grappling Acamady in Blachardstown.

I was going to recommend Jorge Santos in Parnell Street.

There's also Fantom on Moore Street which I've trained in once but been at open mats where a few of their guys were as well.

Think there is a gym just off Pearse Street beside Chartered Accountants Ireland either, Wild Geese I think.

North side you have Satori and Royal Grappling Acamady in Blachardstown.

Thanks for that I'll have a look at there timetables and see what time there beginners classes are at... Ever hear of balance in drumcondra??

Thanks for that I'll have a look at there timetables and see what time there beginners classes are at... Ever hear of balance in drumcondra??

I've heard if them but don't know anyone who has trained there.

There's also a club up in DCU.

Kyzo and Team Ryano wouldn't be a million miles away from Drumcondra either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 rossi.

Maeve that posts here is the one to help you with info on balance, i know they run a four week beginners class on tue/thur- 730pm, for cheap cash (might be a free tshirt too)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know you guys are gonna say you will only get better by training with better people

I actual wouldn't advice the advanced class tbh. You'll get better with all training of course, and variety of levels is important. But being dominated constantly is not the most effective way to train. You are doing the right thing looking for a more suitable class imo.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice everyone...I feel my progress would be a lot slower if I kept doing the advanced class, training with people at my level would allow me to get my confidence up.. I want to set myself realistic goals so I'm wondering how long it took your guys to get your first blue stripe on your white belt.. I know everyone has different learning rates and mat time is a massive thing but if I did 2 classes a week for 6 months do you think think i would get a blue stripe? A blue belt would take up 2 years right??

Thanks for the advice everyone...I feel my progress would be a lot slower if I kept doing the advanced class, training with people at my level would allow me to get my confidence up.. I want to set myself realistic goals so I'm wondering how long it took your guys to get your first blue stripe on your white belt.. I know everyone has different learning rates and mat time is a massive thing but if I did 2 classes a week for 6 months do you think think i would get a blue stripe? A blue belt would take up 2 years right??

Don't worry about stripes or belts now. Go to class and enjoy yourself. The stripes will come in time.

I've never had any stripes on my white belt. Went straight from plain white to plain blue. It took me 2.5 years, if I chased it a bit harder it could have been 2 years.
    6 months per stripe sounds about right, but they are highly subjective benchmarks. Some schools do them purely based on time, not skill.

In other news, competed in a Grappling Industries tourney at the weekend. NoGi intermediate, Round Robin format, sub only.

First match I won by armbar from mount,
    Second I double legged into a guillotine.
    Third was an armbar from mount.
    Forth, I was in control from the start, lost an armbar attack early on. Eventually we reset in full guard with 25 seconds left. I went for a hip bump triangle I've been working on, and landed it. The guy went blue but ran the clock down.

Annoyed to miss out on the final sub when it was there (my own fault for trying to attack an armbar at the same time) but very happy to hit that set up in a comp.

Came second overall, for my first medal at bluebelt. Needed that little confidence boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Royal Grappling Academy in Blanch - Roger is a highly decorated MG Brown Belt
    Team Ryano Jamestown road - Andy Ryan is a legend in Ireland that is a serious team with 4 or 5 black belts
    SGB Charlestown - Owen Roddy is a black belt and one of Conor McGregor coaches
    Kuyzo Ballyboggan Road - Barry Oglesby is a Drysdale Black Belt.

Most of these would have a varied schedule to cater for different levels and also at varying times. I know RGA do early classes (around 6am).

Mellor wrote: »
    In other news, competed in a Grappling Industries tourney at the weekend. NoGi intermediate, Round Robin format, sub only.

First match I won by armbar from mount,
    Second I double legged into a guillotine.
    Third was an armbar from mount.
    Forth, I was in control from the start, lost an armbar attack early on. Eventually we reset in full guard with 25 seconds left. I went for a hip bump triangle I've been working on, and landed it. The guy went blue but ran the clock down.

Annoyed to miss out on the final sub when it was there (my own fault for trying to attack an armbar at the same time) but very happy to hit that set up in a comp.

Came second overall, for my first medal at bluebelt. Needed that little confidence boost.

Where was that comp on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Hi,

I train at Jorge Santos. Its a great gym, great teachers, really good atmosphere too. The beginners class is a good place to start. THey do a beginners fundamentals class almost every day i think

I did some MMA training at balance a couple years ago, didnt like it tho. i was a total beginner, and it seemed like everyone else there was competing to get into the UFC and got thrown into sparring on my first week and got ****in rekt. Didnt enjoy it at all.

Where was that comp on?
    Sydney.
    They run events in Australia and the US at the moment. Sometimes sub only, others follow the IBJJF rules. But always a round robin format. I find its a great option for guys only starting to compete. As they pick up multiple matches regards of the result.

Sydney.
    They run events in Australia and the US at the moment. Sometimes sub only, others follow the IBJJF rules. But always a round robin format. I find its a great option for guys only starting to compete. As they pick up multiple matches regards of the result.

Bit far for me to travel :D

Bit far for me to travel :D

They're having one in New York next month. That's a bit closer to you. Keenan vrs Gordon Ryan at that one too

• Advertisement

They're having one in New York next month. That's a bit closer to you. Keenan vrs Gordon Ryan at that one too

I'm planning on heading over to NY this year or next with the girlfriend for a holiday.

Just haven't told her I'll be heading to a few gyms when I'm there :D

I did my first class in Balance last night and enjoyed it. A bit basic at times but that's what i wanted, only bad thing is beginners are not allowed to roll for the first 4 weeks, its understandable I guess but still 4 weeks without a roll is a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I did my first class in Balance last night and enjoyed it. A bit basic at times but that's what i wanted, only bad thing is beginners are not allowed to roll for the first 4 weeks, its understandable I guess but still 4 weeks without a roll is a long time.

Did they say why?

Did they say why?

A lot of clubs don't allow people to roll for the first few weeks.

To easy for a new person to not tap or hurt someone because they don't know what they are doing.

A lot of clubs don't allow people to roll for the first few weeks.

To easy for a new person to not tap or hurt someone because they don't know what they are doing.

Cool, I've never trained in any of them. I really don't see a problem with a newbie rolling with an experienced club member.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Cool, I've never trained in any of them. I really don't see a problem with a newbie rolling with an experienced club member.

the real problem is 2 newbies rolling with each other, but i do think you should be rolling from day 1 under proper supervision

In the club I train in the coach does not allow a new person roll with anyone for about 4/5 classes until he sees they know the basics (mount, open guard, side control and closed guard) and is able to control themselves a bit.

Once he's happy that they won't 'freak out' they are allowed to roll with some of the more experienced people but beginners are not allowed to roll with each other unsupervised for another little while, ie an experienced guy keeping a close eye on their roll.

Another way to look at it is the coach does not want a new person getting tapped constantly in their first week, getting disheartened and not coming again.

Dave 101 wrote: »
    the real problem is 2 newbies rolling with each other, but i do think you should be rolling from day 1 under proper supervision

I would always discourage two newbies rolling with each other, there's nothing to be gained from it and everything to lose.

Depending on how the class is structured, ie warm up, drills, fundamentals for newbs etc before rolling then I don't see the harm in it (newbie rolls).

However if a coach is not comfortable with that in his club well so be it for me to knock him for it.

However I get frustrated with some coaches method of instruction whereby they (the coach) try to take a whole class for instruction rather than utilizing his higher grades (for some coaching basics).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm pretty sure that's already happened, sadly

Advertisement