Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is very interesting coming up on my feed now.

I tried Ju Jitsu once. Didn’t realise in the class that you participate. On the one on ones I did what I always do and over did it and had some lad swinging off my kneck at one stage as I tried to shake him off me. In every one on one id try my hardest and most definitely put strain on my kneck.

I couldn’t look left or right driving home without real pain and limitation. Just presumed it would get better with rest but my kneck hasn’t been really bad but not right since.

Now I wouldn’t of thought of my kneck as an issue but I’ve been having numbness and tingling a lot that’s been getting worse. I went to an osteopath in November and ever since it’s gotten worse. At the time I went to them about headaches but they were doing all sorts of crunching on my kneck and back.

Also needle physio and today it’s been really sore. Might ask physio about it.

Now whenever my body warms , I do excercise or I get any sort of emotional I get pain and irritation waves in different parts of my body (which usually indicates maybe nerve damage or something like that).

I was thinking maybe it was long covid related in some way but the kneck injury thing is probably worth exploring. (

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

We had a bit of gym drama and the gym split. The coach wasn't actually running the gym, it was a strange setup whereby the gym as a business was being run by one of the blue belts and he hired the black belt coach. They had a falling out and the coach set up his own gym. Most of us followed him.

The opening of the new gym coincided with a load of stuff piling on at home and at work so I went from previously training four days a wek to once or twice a week. Stick on top that that getting sick in late Nov followed by Covid as soon as I was well.

I've set myself the goal of 150 sessions in 2023. Not a lot, but I break it down into segments. I need to do 25 by the end of Feb and that kicks my arse a bit when i'm feeling lazy or whatever. Also have a set number of rounds I need to do and have that broken down into rounds with coloured belts too to have myself preying on new Janury white belts 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

BJJ taking a bit of a backseat for me at the moment, I am just finding that a baby in the house and being busy at work, it has slid to the bottom of my priorities list.

But it's always in the back of my mind, there's a kimono packed in a rucksack in my office at work waiting to go if I got a long enough window to take a break...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It’s not an uncommon setup where the financial owner, is not the head coach. But I think it only works where the gym is pretty big with multiple coaches. Relying on one coach is a strange dynamic.

What’s the new gym called?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

First class on the year in 20 mins, hope to average 2 classes per week going forward but as people mentioned above its hard with work and kids etc

• Advertisement

I'll PM you the name of the gym.......

It was a pretty straight forward break up in the end but the guy who ran the old gym (now the head coach) decided not to see it that way and has exhibited hard feelings. It's a shame because the lads from that gym and our lads are still friends but the coach is being a bit weird with it. Unnecessarily so!

For example, I tried to go to one of the Open Mats soon after, just to "rip the plaster off" so to speak. No point letting things fester you know?

I text the coach from the old gym and told him I was dropping in. I was effectively told I wasn't welcome. So not so much an Open Mat........ just a Mat 😂

Good luck man. First in a year is a big step! Most people get to 6-7 months and decide too much time has passed. Congrats on getting back on the horse!

That’s so juvenile. Blacklisting people simply because they train somewhere else. Sadly common in bjj. People dress it as loyalty, but it’s rooted in money imo.

Gyms are businesses. We’re the customer. I’ve no time, for gyms that act like that.

Post edited by MrStuffins on

Dublin bjj isn't that big, so I (and probably a few others) have figured out what gym you are in, which gym is the old gym, and who the coaches involved are.

I'm not stepping in as a Mod on this - but I'd ask you to leave it there in terms of saying any more on this. I don't want to see anyone being criticised if they're not on here to give their side / defend themselves.

I appreciate a gym split is a big thing but is it good to air it out here?

• Advertisement

Two questions...

Does your club start from standing when rolling, or typically does one person pass on their feet and the other person begins sitting / playing guard?

Does anyone's club have a blanket ban on leglocks at open mats, no matter the belt of the people rolling?

Genuinely curious. I was in a club I haven't been at in a long time, and I was a small bit surprised they were going with the above. I'm not saying it's wrong (it can be argued both ways), but just curious what is more common these days.

Typically we begin one seated and one passing. Slap, bump and one person sits or stands. Only exception to the is the advanced nogi class, starts standing as it’s very wrestling dominant.

Leglicks are all always on the table. White belts learn leglocks - and need to know 4 basic types to get a blue belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

No rules on how we start and leg locks are ok for everyone

I'll answer my own question -

We always start from standing, to facilitate takedowns.

IBJJF adult leglock rules are what we use to regulate leglocks. So for white belts its straight footlocks only in the kimono.

I don't feel strongly about the leglock issue. Training in the kimono, I don't believe the risk of injury associated with lower belts training with toe holds and knee bars is substantially any greater than with having them perform kimuras. If there is appropriate coaching I wouldn't be overly concerned if they were introduced early. But in practical terms I also think if you have people competing at white belt I don't think it's that bad an idea to have them mainly using the IBJJF rule set.

I would also argue that anyone who does want to play leglocks can benefit from beginning with understanding straight footlock entries / set-ups / finishes and there's a carryover to broadening out then as you go up the belts. There is a universal applicability to learning positions like single leg x, modified single leg x, sweeping from there, various leg entanglements and how to use or escape them. My introduction to leglocks was straight footlock systems from Gustavo Gasperin and Oli Geddes.

Very limited nogi training in our gym so heelhooks are not really a factor.

On the starting from standing issue, I probably have evolved a clear preference for starting from standing. I accept that for space reasons it's not always possible, but if the space is there then I think it's important. If anything there is probably a greater injury risk (than from leglocks) in allowing a relatively high number of takedowns and scrambles to occur - which they will - but I think it has to be accepted.

Even if you are a guard puller it is probably better to learn how to properly pull guard against a standing opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GerBear93

Hoping someone can help me out here.

Looking at starting BJJ but my schedule will only allow me to do morning classes. 6am preferably. Anyone know of any BJJ places that do 6am classes in South Dublin?

East Coast Jiu Jitsu has a 6.15am class on their timetable.

Holohan Martial Arts has morning classes as well AFAIK

For me the issue with adhering directly to the IBJJF rules. Is that people are really ill prepared for moving up the next level.

Imagine a purple belt moving up to brown, having never rolled with kneebars or toeholds. I’d assume they’d be caught with those subs a lot.

Would be an advantage for other gyms knowing opponents had these holes in their game.

Well, I *was* a purple who played straight footlocks and did make that transition... Toe holds became my number one sub when rolling as a brown versus other browns and black belts. Still is now at black.

I did a few sessions with browns and blacks as a purple and went through what was needed for the finish and if you understand that then you understand a lot of the defence. I don't remember it being that onerous, but I was interested I guess.

I still think the straight footlocks set me up to learn better.

I think your point would be very valid in a full time nogi gym like a 10th planet place, maybe even in a place that is 50/50. But in a gym where most people are in a kimono for most classes and many looking to compete it would be, IMO, odd to spend much if any time at lower belts on techniques that are generally banned in comps for them. Heel hooks completely out in the gi anyway.

I people are focused on competing only under the IBJJF ruleset it makes sense to bias techniques that are allowed in comp. But I suspect most serious competitors to prepare at least a level ahead.

A purple belt who can’t attack and defend kneebars and toe holds has a massive whole in their game in my view.

• Advertisement

Worth remembering the training population in ireland must be 85 per cent plus white and blue, at any time... Is that a fair estimate? And a majority probably not competing more than casually if at all. Then those that compete are most likely to be doing an IBJJF rule set.

If someone is looking to compete sub only and they know that early on then sure, agree that they need to think differently but nothing to prevent independent learning. It's going to be a minority of students.

Although tbh I still didn't feel disadvantaged by learning those techniques at purple. I still had a leglock game prior using straight footlocks. And I did learn knee bars and toe holds as a late blue in smaller group settings the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

My thoughts on the process is I only go straight ankle locks or knee bars on brown belt lads that I have a good relationship with. This is coming from a purple belt, so we have an unspoken agreement where we're happy to test our leg lock game on each other.

I also have a mate I've trained with for ages and he's matted out his garage so we do nogi long rolls there before work (45 minute rounds) and we do heel hooks on each other but we've got years of trust with each other's game and that respect.

If I rock into a new gym then I don't do leg locks. If it's the place Were people do it then I'll knee bar or ankle lock but not heel hooks. I worry that too many people might think they're Gordon Ryan and go in full whack on me so I avoid it or tap early to save the risk. Especially if I feel they lack technique in other aspects of their game which flags up a bit of risk for me if they're foot locking me.

My 2 cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I got awarded my Blue belt recently. Feel a bit of a fraud as I don't feel I deserve it but maybe I am doing some things right at least. I have imposter syndrome definitely !!!

I'd agree that most are white/blue, and most people are probably not competing. But that just further makes the question the logic being enforcing the IBJJF rule set on people, when most of them are not going to compete, they just want to learn jiu jitsu. Withholding advanced techniques is an oldschool and very flawed mentality.

If you learned those techniques at blue and purple you weren't sticking to the rules. They are banned until brown, and there are gyms where stick to that religiously. Being a 4 stripe purple, and not knowing any knee bar or toehold defense or attack silly imo. Just my view.

Whatever about knee bars and heel hooks. Foot/ankle locks are legal in for day 1 white belts in comp, even for kids. Should expect them in every gym imo. Not something that should be agreed.

Fair shout. Maybe I was just being over timid and had the thought process that all leg locks, including ankle/ foot locks, are bad. However I'll keep that in mind and be more open to foot and ankle locks in gyms in the future.

It’s totally up to you to go for them or not. But I always assume others will go for them if my get exposed.

Outside if beginners, people tend to protect their arms much better than their legs.

In general I agree that people should 'expect' appropriate attacks when they're rolling. Footlocks are on the table from the start, and that's why as I said above I do support white belts learning some basic leg entanglements, basic footlocks and defence against same. But I'll always adapt to what's in front of me.

In our gym we do use a lot of leg attacks at the higher belts and actually among my peer group leg attacks are accounting for the majority of finishes at the moment.

In etiquette terms if it's in our gym and it's someone I don't know - if they're a guest - I will go for whatever attacks are appropriate for their belt, including legs. If they're from somewhere else and it's clear they don't know any leg attacks (and have no leg defence as a result) I will just do something else completely, I'd rather have a constructive roll with at least some back and forth.

I'd say what's more important from an etiquette POV in general is the overall intent. If they're clearly doing a roll at 70% and not going crazy then neither am I. I won't suddenly increase the tempo usually, I won't dial the strength up to 90% to get a finish and so on. I think that's more significant than whether knee bars or toe holds are on the table. If they come in going 90%+ then I do an informal risk assessment in my head and will either match it or defend, defend, defend. Either way I try not to take it personally.

If I'm in a strange gym then I definitely would be inclined to look around and see what's going on. I was at an open mat recently (all grades) and the gym owner wanted no leg attacks. Agree or disagree with it, it's their house.

I have had the experience of rolling with people from gyms who come from places where they do almost no leg attacks and yes, it does leave a hole, there's no doubt. But then again, if you want to be competitive there are lots of things that can disadvantage you. Not have adequate mat time overall, not lifting - probably as significant as not knowing leg attacks (Certainly the lifting element, IMO, whatever about mat time).

I agree with all of that. I usually drop into gyms with a strong Nogi side of aware they do leglocks in advance. If I’m dropping in, I’m assume they are out unless told or shown otherwise.

Back in Ireland son. Will be looking for more drop in gyms

Went to Polaris 23 last night in the UK. Great event. Such a chilledout vibe with lots of cool people and quality fights on show. Chris weidman lost against Owen Livsey on points, he's a big judo head so some great wrestling on show.

Can recommend it enough if it's ever in Ireland and great for kids too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I joined BJJ mostly because I wanted to get my daugther into it, and doing it myself along side her was part of the methodology for this. This has worked really well and she enjoys it though neither of us come remotely close to excelling at it yet.

My/our training has been on and off but happy every time it is on. Sickness, traveling for work, and holidays have been the main things preventing me training. Only on a small hand full of occasions has low motivation stopped me going. Which is good.

Despite the fact I must be a BJJ member for about a year now... all the factors above mean I have not done all that much training over that year and I have probably forgotten or not cemented many of the techniques I would have seen in that time. Meaning I have a very limited repotoire on the mat. My two main strengths so far appear to be that I am very good at escaping mount (mostly thanks to one John Danaher video) and people of many belt levels find it almost impossible to break my full guard for some reason. I get a lot of comments on just how tight and good it is.

Anyway, there is a national competition from the international "AJP Tour" coming up in April really close to where I live here in Germany. I see they do national competitions in a few countries under that name? The trainer put it up in our clubs Whatsapp and I very quickly made two decisions:

1) I was going to take my daugther to go watch the event, especially the kids and white belt events.

2) I was going to commit to entering it next year giving me just over 12 months to get fitter (need to lose about 5 kilo), stronger, improve my endurance (been running half marathons, I would like to get that up to marathons if I can) and improve my BJJ. I work really well to dead lines rather than just free training / living. So knowing I have a game in 12 months would be a real motivator for me. Which is actually the first thing Chewjitsu says in this video here: youtube.com/watch?v=qrItcRRlBg0

I have acquired a Black Belt Teacher who gives me 70-90 minutes of 1 on 1 training every sunday now (for 50 euro, which seems reasonable?) and I have my normal club group training which is an hour on Monday, Friday, Saturday with an optional second hour Fridays/Saturdays which I will now avail of if I am going "full time" with this.

What I would like to do is break down moves (take downs, submissions, escapes, other) that I should really focus on for the 12 months. Not exclusively, but predominantly. Which is why I am making this post. Maybe 3-5 things in each of the most common positions I should try to get down "perfect" for my first White Belt competition next April. So maybe:

1) A particular handful of take downs from standing. And pulling guard from standing.

2) Attacks or good moves from each dominant position (Top Mount, Full guard, Back control, Side control, North South.....?)

3) Escapes, attacks or good moves when held IN each of those positions (Top Mount, Full guard, Back control, Side control, North South.....?)

4) "Other"?

So pros and other competition veterans what would you recommend focusing on? I will of course ask the same of my 1:1 teacher and my club teacher when I can. But be interesting for some feedback here too which might also inspire some other newcombers to focus on their game and get into it? :) In the end I would like to make another post here detailing, hopefully with some online resources I can also link to, what I end up with which might be a nice "starter guide" for others.

Advertisement