Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,013 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not sure what was going on with my typing there.

But what I was wondering was if the OP meant the kid one belt up was a yellow belt. Or if they meant grey belt vrs their kid with grey/white stripe.

Point being that grouping the different grey belts is normal and not really different ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Hey. So due to life and work and time commitments I have not turned up for every class so far (its every monday and Friday) but I have had about 5 classes now I think. Missed last nights one due to my sons birthday. But Friday should be ok.

Some moves work out for me when we are drilling them in a lesson. Some I simply do not get for some reason. Even seeing the instructor do it slowly 5 or 6 times when I come to do it myself my brain is not able to translate what I viewed into actually doing it myself. So still have to fight that "idiot" feeling a bit.

Still enjoying it though and the kids have taken to it quite well too. During my class, which is after theirs, they stand to the side of the mats and mimic our class so learning along with us too. Which I think impresses the instructor who is used to kids who have to wait for their parents being rowdy and undisciplined.

Invested in Gis and everything (my class is every second week no Gi) so I think we are committed for the long term now. I was also about to buy a rowing machine for nearly 1500 euro but since the school has one, I use that so I see that as a saving too :)

Still quite impressed that people who have only had one or two classes seem to know quite a lot. Not sure if it's You Tube Videos or is it that they have come in from another discipline or is it just from watching actual matches. But they clearly know more about what to do than I do, and more than they could possibly have learned in a handful of classes. So always curious how they got this knowledge. Guess I just need to talk to them more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

From experience, there is much in BJJ that isn't intuitive or natural to a beginner. Hip movement is a good example. It's a combination of following instruction from people more advanced than you and also just repeating the movement until you figure out what works and what doesn't work. It can of course be taught with granular detail, spending an hour purely going over the mechanics of a specific position is entirely possible, if not overkill for a beginner.

The idiot feeling, as you've called it, still persists throughout the belts, though it happens less frequently as you get higher up the ladder. Every day is a school day.

Patience is quite important in learning BJJ, and isn't something I've seen discussed very much. If you've got new people who have previously done skill based sports then they may very well know what it takes to learn, but rank amateurs who never did a day of exercise in their lives have a steep slope to climb, as they not only need to learn BJJ but they also need to learn how to learn.

Regarding people who know quite a lot after a handful of classes, it's often the case that they know just a little bit more than the person with less experience. If I've done an arm bar 20 times and you've only done it once I have an advantage. A person who has a handful of classes, or even a few months of training might have a solid grasp on certain moves & positions but if their opponent uses a technique they don't know, or simply defends successfully then the beginner has hit the limit of their understanding of BJJ. The difference between someone with a few months experience and someone with a few years experience is that the more experienced person will try something, fail, and then try another move, if that fails they'll try another move (or even return to the first move). for example, you're in their closed guard (you're on top) and they go for a kimura, but you defend, then they may well go for a guillotine, if you defend that they may try the kimura, or try a sweep etc.

Don't worry about how much or how little people know, there'll always be someone better or worse than you. At times in the past I used to equate success with having high percentage of success with submissions (true to a certain extent; if you're submitting people then you're "winning"). The problem occurs when you meet someone who is better at defending a submission than you are at apply them; what's your plan B? You'd better have one!

Focus on enjoying BJJ and enjoying the training. Unlike a video game, we will never complete BJJ, we'll all be dead and gone before we've figured out all the moves, all the variations on positions etc.

Missed two weeks of classes due to returning to Ireland for a holiday. Back home now and had first class last night. Very enjoyable. Focused mainly on a few defenses against, and escapes from, kimura.

The guy I rolled against after the class was on his second (recent) class. Said he had done about 6 months as a boy but stopped a long time ago. Again handed my ass to me. But I was trying to learn from what he was doing and wanted him to keep doing it. But by the 4th he was too exhausted to go on. Once again moderately impressed by my own endurance here. I was raring to go again and again and he was barely able to stand.

Still he was doing things to me I had not read about, seen on you tube, or seen in class before. So I have to figure out what he was up to now :) Addictive isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You'll find the endurance can really be your best friend. It's a specific kind of endurance.

A guy started in our place last week. Semi-pro rugby player, absolute unit and everything is power and strength. Trying to keep the guy in place is a nightmare and, because he's new, I didn't want to be putting myself at risk of injury.

But I knew that there was only so far into a round he could go before he starts gassing (we do 6 min rounds in my place). it's true what they say, fatigue makes cowards of us all. 3 mins in or so and he couldn't muscle out of things any more and it was a more level playing field.

Now, what do I do when he gains that endurance and has some skill........ i'll cross that bridge when I come to it 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

My endurance currently sucks b@ll$... I am going back with my parent club after being away since Dec 2019.

Basically, a mate had a club which was local to my new house and he couldn't run it anymore, so he asked if I would take it over. I did, then Covid hit about 4 months later. When we got back, the senior members didn't come back and it ended up being a glorified creche. I closed the doors last November and decided to take time out due to rising covid numbers and a torn Achilles which I had ignored until it started making my knee pop.

I went back to my parent club about 3 weeks ago and the lads I used to destroy are waaaay better, and my endurance is killing me. I have started to do more cardio at home as I know the stuff, my brain just isn't syncing with my body like it used to because I'm too tired. I used to fire through submission chains without thinking whereas now, I'm missing next moves and getting frustrated. It doesn't help that I am 45 tomorrow and need to shift about 2 stone.

I feel like I'm back at the level I was when I was a 4 stripe whitey :-(

Yeah but I think this is just a case of getting back on the horse. Once you get some of your fitness back, those submissions and chains will come with much less effort as yo won't have to force them.

We currently have a situation whereby our coach (black belt) didn't see eye to eye with the guy running the gym (purple belt...... it's a weird situation), so he left. Our gym is an affiliate of a bigger gym (not the one you're thinking of) and this rift lead to our coach falling out with the leader of the parent gym, which strenghtened his resolve, leading him to open his own gym only a few KMs away from the old place. It's been an absolute mess. He left months ago, and since then we've been coached by the purple belt.

Our coach's new gym opens next week and I and most of the coloured belts are going with him, but in the preceeding months of limbo the old club has felt like pergutory. No coloured belts turning up, new white belts coming in every week...... it's been weird!

Looking forward to getting back with the old coach, the old group of lads and getting back to "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Complete white belt here….

What sort of training is beneficial to supplement my training ?

Just started and was planning to do 2 sessions a week of BJJ and get a good swim/steam/sauna in also . I think swimming would bring on my cardio and keep damage to my joints to a minimum ?

Do you folks keep a notebook after each session and if so what kinda details do you make note of ?

Do any of you do things like the “yoga for BJJ” videos or any similar stretching/flexibility videos on youtube ?

if so, what are among the better ones that will serve me well ?

Thanks in advance .

Yoga for BJJ, btw

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCxXSonb3zhnlI-MGcD3eotw

For me, I don't do any specific supplemental exercise, I just try to fit exercise in where I can get it. If I need to go 5km to pick something up for example, I'll jump on the bike. I'd say swimming is ideal if you're looking to supplement but the correct answer is do another BJJ session if that's an option.

With regard to yoga, I've actually been meaning to start giving BJJ specific yoga a go for a while. Before lockdown I was doing a routine from a YouTube video 3-4 times a week and I really noticed a difference in my flexibility. In fact, others were even mentioning my improved flexibility. I really need to get back to it.

Also, yes I keep a notebook. Well, I actually keep a spreadsheet that I take notes on. It's very handy. Not only to take notes but to set goals.

For example, at the start of Jan I will figure out how many hours of BJJ I want to do over the next 3 months. I'll do the same for rounds sparred and I've started one now for "rounds with coloured belts". After each session, I fill in a box with how many hours I did, how many rounds I did and how many of them were with coloured belts.

I know it might sound silly, but you'd be surprised how many times I've almost missed training and thought "but I'm falling behind on the sheet, I have to go". Same with rounds. "I better go to this Open Mat, I need the rounds.". The coloured belt one is good too because it defeats that demon in my head who knows you're tired and says "go on, grab the new guy. That purple belt looking to make eye contact with you will give you a tough round. Forget that......"

On the sheet, I try take notes right after class when I can remember all the details. It's handy if you're doing the same technique in successive classes. Night one you might remember 80% of the details. On night two, you can keep your mind on the ones you missed and add them to you r notes the following day

There is a lot of useful supplementary training you can do.

Yoga, mobility work, stretching, swimming, running, rowing, weights, strength training, grip training, etc.

They will all help, but if you want to get better faster then the best way is more bjj. A 3rd day of training will be 50% more training, and likely progress.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do the above, I just wouldn’t it at a time when there was class on.

• Advertisement

This sounds good. Especially counting rolls. I can definitely see how it encourages you to squeeze in extra sessions. It also highlights how people don’t train as much as they think. If the typical week is 3 days, people assume that’s the average. But you miss sessions far more often that you get extra.

I track training sessions and hours. Have an app to do it, but I’ve been really slack last few months. Should try fix that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

When it comes to BJJ and supplementary training, I'd offer up the following.

Cardio

To improve your cardio for BJJ there is no substitute for BJJ. Over the years I've tried tabata protocols, long slow distance training, metabolic conditioning, you name it... None of them work as well as more mat time. If your cardio needs work, try to build in more time rolling or drilling, and if full extra rounds are not an option then an option is to increase your rounds' duration or do a very long round in the mix.

Someone that has the time to build 4-5 BJJ sessions into their week is probably not going to need supplementary cardio. If you're someone that is only training 1-2 times a week, and a lot of older trainees fall into this category, then it might be more of an idea, even for general health tbh.

If you are 30+, also lifting weights, or are otherwise training a lot then it is worth keeping it to low intensity cardio in order to recover better. That might just be a very fast incline walk for 30 minutes a few times a week.

Mobility / Yoga

I'm Yoga for BJJ certified, but actually I think someone should only get into it if they particularly enjoy it, I don't feel like it's an essential. Although it's often touted as a means of rehabbing injuries or actually avoiding injuries, if that is a goal then actually I think increasing joint stability and developing muscle mass via weight training is a better approach.

Probably the best way to try Yoga for BJJ it is to run their start-up week during a free trial and see what you think of it. They used to offer a free trial period, not sure if that's still the case.

Finally... Yoga for BJJ is just modern flow yoga. Sebastian is a great BJJ player, and although he 'programs' the yoga slightly towards what he think is most beneficial for BJJ players (More opening of the front of the body), it is still just modern flow yoga like you can find from multiple teachers. I wouldn't be afraid to go elsewhere.

Strength training

I believe strength training is the real key to longevity and wellbeing in BJJ. Almost any chronic or acute injury that you suffer in BJJ can either be mitigated or resolved via strength training. Problems with knees, necks, hips, shoulders ... The answer to resolving symptoms or prehabbing against is rarely just to increase mobility, it's going to be to strengthen the surrounding musculature in most cases.

When I was a white belt and blue I was training BJJ 4-5 times a week and lifting 2 a week. Since I went past 40, as a purple and brown, I have flipped that completely. I do 1-3 high quality BJJ sessions a week and I'm lifting 3-4 days a week to stay healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

Great post 👆️

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Deleted.

Cardio

To improve your cardio for BJJ there is no substitute for BJJ. Over the years I've tried tabata protocols, long slow distance training, metabolic conditioning, you name it... None of them work as well as more mat time. If your cardio needs work, try to build in more time rolling or drilling, and if full extra rounds are not an option then an option is to increase your rounds' duration or do a very long round in the mix.

Good post, a few things I'd add. I agree that there is no substitute for mat time for improving "rolling cardio". But I think this also misinterpreted a lot (not saying you are to be clear).

There's no such thing sports specific cardio. You don't improve running cardio by running, or bike cardio by cycling. You only have one cardiovascular system, you improves as you train it. The issue for most people with pure cardio in BJJ, is that they are simply moving inefficiently. They are rolling in too high a gear to get the work done. By getting rounds and rounds in, you can get the same work done in a lower gear and stamina goes up.

It's absolutely best to focus on rolling efficiently like that to get better. But I'd also add that if you genuinely have poor cardio (either untrained, or maybe post injury) then it's also worth targeting that with supplementary training.

Mobility / Yoga

I'm Yoga for BJJ certified, but actually I think someone should only get into it if they particularly enjoy it, I don't feel like it's an essential. Although it's often touted as a means of rehabbing injuries or actually avoiding injuries, if that is a goal then actually I think increasing joint stability and developing muscle mass via weight training is a better approach.

Finally... Yoga for BJJ is just modern flow yoga.

Agree also. It's a good program, and has some BJJ specific application. But it's not magic, its still just yoga. any other yoga is going to be good. But Injury rehab should be injury specific, not sport specific.

I've also been looking at aggressive stretching programs for splits, pancake etc. Definitely not necessary. But beneficial is you want to improve guard retention and similar positions.

Strength training

Goes without saying. The "your really strong" backhanded bjj compliment exists for a reasons. Get string and smash things.

The ideas; "Strength does not matter in BJJ", "BJJ uses strength against you", etc are absolute nonsense.

Flo putting on a TUF grappling show.

Episode available online for free

https://www.flograppling.com/collections/7781439-whos-next-full-episodes/video?playing=7781448

Hi everyone

I would like to ask for recommendations for BJJ schools in Kildare (Naas / Newbridge, SW Dublin (City West or Tallaght), or west Wicklow. I and my family live abroad currently and my sons are doing BJJ with a great Gracie Barra school. When we relocate to Ireland next year, the move will be difficult for them and one thing I - and they - would like to keep constant is their BJJ journey. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Kildare / Naas options:-

SBG Naas: Very reputable coaches line-up. I trained with Cian Conlan years ago when we were blue belts and he is a nice guy. SBG also has a very proven approach to teaching kids and teenagers. Between Newbridge and Naas in terms of location.

Husaria Naas: Marius Domasatz has also been involved in grappling / BJJ in Ireland for a long time and Husaria has a reputable name, it would be another one to check out.

Silverback Jiu Jitsu: Between Rathcoole and Celbridge. Mario (Mariusz?) Gyzwinski is an SBG black belt, again, a very nice guy and training and teaching a long time, although the school is newer.

In Tallaght you have a number of options, there's an SBG (Not sure who coaches), there's Paddy Holohan's gym (ex SBG) and you have a few smaller BJJ schools like Checkmat, Southside BJJ and Grappling University.

I don't know the scene in Wicklow but Arklow BJJ seems to be running and the other option then would be Chris Leddy's BJJ school in Bray, another chap who has been training and teaching a long time and would definitely recommend.

There IS a Gracie Barra in Sandyford Business Park, with a great coach, Chris Bowe, but location-wise it may not suit you. I guess a Gracie Barra school would have been the ultimate in continuity for them.

Good luck with the move, hopefully the BJJ does help the kids adjust.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Thank you Black Sheep. This is really helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

I've trained in a few of those places. All were good. I think you've covered options well.

I would also add that coaches, reputation, reviews etc are all well and good. But it's also important to get a convient location imo. Especially for kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

So, I'm back about 2 months, not getting to go as frequently as I used to - hitting 1 or 2 sessions a week.

Funny situation, I am almost back to my old level with the coloured belts, especially the purples, and I'm rolling very comfortably (despite my knee and ankle being absolute ****), but I'm finding some of the whites troublesome.

I'm in complete control but I'm finding them a harder nut to crack than the coloured belts. Perhaps it's just the rolls are more open with the coloured belts. I'm not getting frustrated, I know I just need to get tweak my game and figure them out because they clam up and I'm probably being a bit more conservative subconsciously with the whites because of my knee and ankle, and my experience of white belts spazzing out and causing injury.

Loving being back in a competitive environment anyhow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

As a purple belt, I now tend to work on something in particular when rolling, guard retention, a specific sub, a specific sub defense or defense from a compromised position.

As a result, I know I'm leaving myself more open to subs. Working on a specific defense to say back attacks, I'm obviously half looking to expose my back and let someone take that position. "Let" is a strong word. Resisting but not to the best of my ability.

Then I get to work on my escapes, Subs(yes there are subs you can do against someone whos has your back) but often enough, ill get submitted from there. I mean 9 times out of ten you're at a disadvantage against someone who understands the position.

So this may be what you're experiencing. For me, the days of rolling to win are long gone unless tournaments are on the horizon.

Hasn't been great recently here. A holiday kept me out of class. Then straight after the holiday a Covid diagnosis kept me out for more time. Then on the first class back I got some strain/sprain in my ankle and that kept me out. So not much progress or gains here really.

Still enjoying it though. Strangely one thing I enjoy is how uncomfortable it makes me. I've always been relatively quiet and in my personal space or off by myself in my own head or whatever. So getting up close and personal and physical with people makes me rather uncomfortable. But making myself endure that and enjoy it seems to benefit me a lot. I still go into every class pretty much dreaded aspects of it. But seem to derive a lot of benefit physically and emotionally from facing that, enduring it, and coming out both enjoying it and having learned something from it.

I am an amateur still to both BJJ and all kinds of training. I have been a computer geek for my entire life and am in early 40s now. So I am not in a position to give out any advice.

But that said... I have certainly noticed the things that feed into my own BJJ. While BJJ can be a full body work out... I certainly notice that my leg strength is everything especially when I have people in my guard and I get good hooks with my feet. I am a short guy with a little extra body weight around the waist. But I have muscle bound he-men struggling to break my legs open when I get them in my guard. So running and cycling and rowing machine have certainly had an effect there. At 73KG myself I find I struggle to make 20 reps on most fixed weight machines when it is set to only 25KG. So very little arms strength here really. But with my Legs I can do 20 or 30 reps on the leg press machine even when it's set to 2 or 2.5 times my body weight.

But everything seems to fit into BJJ. I have been doing a lot of press ups (for me a lot, for most people training probably almost none) and I have had a few people I have rolled with comment on how my strength has gone up when they are battling me. Especially my "frame" which is what I think it is called when you put your hands together, arms at right angle, to hold off an opponent. (Since I am training in German, I get a lot of the BJJ lingo wrong in English!).

Im not a great swimmer but I am assuming swimming, which like BJJ is a full body workout, is also going to feed in well.

But I struggle to think of any work outs or exercises I have done recently which I have failed to find feed positively into my BJJ in some way. Even upping my 10km runs to 16km recently has had an effect because as I wrote in an earlier post ENDURANCE is a big thing. When I roll against someone I have noticed that while they might tap me out 3 times in a row, by the 4th I am popping up ready to go again and they are slowly pulling themselves to their feet panting and sweating with hardly the strength to go on. So I am getting closer and closer to besting them then in that way too.

So I think one secret with training and workouts is to find what keeps you coming back. What is better, something that has a 25% improvement on your BJJ but you hate it so struggle to find motivation and eventually give up or start missing sessions.... or something that while it might only have a 10% effect on your BJJ, you love it, keep coming back to it, keep showing up, and keep making the gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s gas that you made this post now. I’ve been following this thread for ages (just forgot to tap out when I wasn’t actually reading). After your response in another thread mentioned Martial arts earlier, I contacted a local BJJ club and am going to a session tonight to see what it’s about.

I’m not excited at the thought of actually fighting other people. In my mind it was about exercise that might be less boring and maybe some breathing/meditation type elements. What is it about the combat that has you motivated to continue and be better if you dread it?

F**k me BJJ is hardcore. I thought I’d just be watching tonight, doing some mad move. Didn’t realise I could be so nimble but my gluts are tight as feck!!

Im gonna sign up to the 8 week starter!!!

Check that. My first lesson was the same. Learned one take down, not even any fighting. Then the class went into actual rolling. So I had to, with zero knowledge skill or experience, get right into fighting. I had no idea it was going to happen. And they made bits of me when it did.

I have heard it said, and it is true, that mostly there is two reactions to that. Some people feel awful at being made bits of so easily and never come back. The other people pop back up after tapping out and think "AGAIN!". It's so fascinating how even a small teen age girl can turn a grown strong man into her literal puppet and do what she wants with him. All through knowledge.

So you probably already know the answer to your own question in your previous post now. The fact you went straight into signing a starter shows that. But it is essentially that. It's fascinating. Almost like playing chess, but the chess pieces are body parts. And as you learn each move you start to see how they can chain together, much like they do in chess. And, to a certain point, the strength or size of your opponent can be rendered irrelevant purely by knowledge. And it's a sport where, a good bit more than any other sport, even failure and losing really feels like progress. I tell my kids, who are studying it now too "You do not so much win or lose when you are rolling, but win or learn". So the "loser" is almost the winner in a sense.

The other motivation to answer your question is, as I said, the personal challenge of making myself engage with things that make me uncomfortable. I have lived WAY WAY too long in my comfort zone. To the point it feeds into mental ill health and depression and lethargy. So I am challenging that in myself and pushing myself outside my comfort zone in many areas of my life recently. The it has all been positive results so far.

The main thing I would say to you about motivation is... you will find many classes now where you feel you are making no progress and not getting any better. Mainly because as you learn... the others around you are learning too. So it can be hard to really see your own progress. Especially if you are being tapped out all the time.

But a few times now a new person has joined... or someone who has been away for awhile has rejoined.... and suddenly when rolling with them I have seen my progress much clearly and had an "Aha" moment of "Wow I really have been learning and progressing here!". So if you feel down with your progress, just try to remember that it's a hard sport to train with the same people over and over and gauge progress because they are progressing too.

Also do not feel that progress means always tapping other people out. Set goals for yourself in rolling. For example some days I go in and play purely defensive, especially against people I know beat me every time. If they tapped me out in 30 seconds a couple of weeks ago then I play defensive and play my guard and play my escapes and frames and just frustrate them. They might still tap me out... but suddenly its taking 5 8 or 10 minutes to get me. That's progress too and can win a lot of respect from them also.

Watching you tube video can be good or bad. You can over watch and fill your head with way too much stuff and confuse yourself and feel overwhelmed and inadequate. But you can also do it right. Watch a few videos and pick 1 or 2 moves that A) look intuitive enough to you and B) tend to be done in positions you usually find yourself (for example I usually end up with people in my guard). Then watch a lot of videos centred solely around those 1 or 2 moves. See it from every angle, with every explanation and minor variation. Then spend a couple of weeks trying that move out yourself on all the people you roll with and when the teacher or some of the higher belts looks free and you are not interrupting his class or his flow do not be afraid to ask him to critique your execution of that move.

Finally you mentioned breathing and meditation. A strange skill in BJJ is breathing. When rolling or watching others roll its amazing how many people simply forget to breath. The concentration and stress of the moment just stops them doing it. Which has all kinds of impacts on your energy and endurance. Even belts higher than me I have noticed them not breathing during battle and even going quite red in the face from it. So an awareness of that from day 1 is probably going to help you a lot.

Hope you report back after the 8 week starter :) And if like me you feel dread or lack of motivation going in.... just remember the bounce in your step you have coming out.

Is it normal to have kneck pain after the class? I get I’m trying out something new so some muscles won’t know what’s going on but I couldn’t move my kneck properly for maybe an hour ( no biggie). Also felt a bit sick but that could be my inner ear as it’s been an issue for a week or so, I can get bad motion sickness but presume that wouldn’t be an issue (although rolling around the floor may not be ideal for that).

Are there any good complimentary training or stretching techniques anybody can recommend?

What’s the story with the competitions , I was only looking to try it out , it hadn’t crossed my mind that learning and doing it competitively might be on the table. Can you just do it like football and playing 5 aside , keep it casual learning? Lastly that cauliflower ear thing, is it easy to get or rare? Im lot looking to be overly intense on this but defo dont want that!

Neck pain and injuries are non uncommon. But you should really try your best to avoid those situations.

• Don’t let yourself get stacked on your neck (eg when you have a triangle)
    • Dont let people fold your head down (can opener). Keep posture and frame in your neck
    • Some chokes also crank the neck a fair bit. If something is hurting your neck, then tap. Refusing because it’s not choking you is dumb (but very common)

Any strength, cardio or mobility training is good. Pick what you like best and need best. I do strength training, and flexibility training. I’ll need to revisit cardio soon.

You can learn and train as casually as you like. You can also compete seriously or casually.

Cauliflower eat isn’t super rare. But it happens. Some people are more prone that others. If you do get it, drain it asap. Otherwise it will calcify and harden. They it’s stuck there

Neck pain can be hard to quantify, but if you are very immobile after training (or the following day), that is likely a red flag. I’m talking about a significant loss of ROM in your neck, inability to look over your shoulder easily and so on. I wouldn’t overlook it if it’s frequent.

The number of people in BJJ with bulging discs is quite high in the long term, and for me it started with stuff like this. I dismissed it as just muscle strain at the start. If it develops as an issue it’s hard to resolve, and has caused a lot of people to basically quit.

Some discomfort and DOMS is normal when taking up a new activity but in BJJ beginners frequently go too hard and when it comes to the neck and low back you will get away with it for a while but eventually it catches up.

Tap early, as Mellor says. Don’t “tough out” a bad position where your neck is compromised. I would also say give up passes rather than being stacked but you may need someone to show you what that means in practice.

In general, take it easy at white belt - it’s a marathon not a sprint. If you were playing 5 aside on weeknights you would not treat every game as the cup final, same with rolls.

• Advertisement

Been quiet in here lately. Is everyone still training.

I've been slack for all of last. Injury, covid, and work all getting in the way. Hoping to hit 2023 with a decent flow. Going to target 10 sessions a month, not a big ask, but will fall way short in Jan. 1 in the bag so far. (holidays, then I was sick)

Advertisement